As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: Dark Crusade (56k eats PLASMA FIRE!)

MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
So, Stormwatcher has abandoned his (as far as I can tell), so guess what I'm doing?

Yes. I'm STEALING IT.

Update 1

EDIT: Spoilered images due to V-scroll issues.
So you wanna know all about the Dark Crusade, but you're too lazy or too cheap to actually play the god damned game?

logolj2.jpg

Fret not! For I, Storm the Watcher am gonna play it for ya. Again. That's how awesome this game is.

I'm not DoW or DC expert, but I know a few things. Oh, I'm gonna let you guys make a few decisions along the playthrough.

First one: I need a name for the Commander guy.

Now, Onward with the LP:

THE GAEM!

DoW: Dark Crusade is the latest expansion for the award winning... Aw, crap, screw the back-of-the-box blurb.

DC is a great RTS from Relic, the guys who made Homeworld before and Company of Heroes later. So they're guys who KNOW how to make the best RTS.

DC, like DoW and CoH, focus on the tactical squad level of war, and resources are gathered by capturing Strategical points and making Power Buildings. No peons, mines or harvesters. Depending on the race you're playing, you might even depend on your fontline soldiers to establish and mantain the supply line. It's really very tactical.

The major difference from vanilla DoW to DC, aside from the two new races (Tau and Necron), is that it offers a new campaign mode very similar to Risk or Rise of Nations, a big world map with territories you can conquer in whatever order you want. The strategical map play takes place in turns where you can move OR attack and/or buy more troops for your territories. You have ONE mobile army, led by your commander, but he doesn't need to be there on defense missions. The SEVEN races fight a bloody war to conquer the entire planet of Kronus. Who will win??????!!!!

Here's the map:
relic00006pq0.png

Each conquered territory offers some kind of benefit. The "normal" territories unlocks a new elite troop squad to your Honor Guard roster. The honor guard is important because whenever you attack a new territory, you already start with them on the mission map, so it's a free, instantaneous army. That can help you rush on of the enemy bases in some territories, but more about this later.

The special territories give you an extra perk or power, like Fury (attack twice per turn), Spaceport (attack almost any territory FROM any territory), so on.

And then there are the home bases for each faction. The home base combat takes happens through a scripted mission, much like regular Campaign missions in DoW and Winter Assault. Regular territories play like computer skimishes, and special territories have specific win-conditions. The home base missions are not REALLY hard, but they're really, really long.

But enough talking.

THE CONTESTANTS!

The original 4 races from DoW

Imperial Space Marines

Marine Intro of awesomeness. 200k people died in the making of it. Just because.
darkcrusade200708301226ao5.png

Mostly every race in this game is a bunch of fucking fanatics, but I'd say that these super genetic enhanced cyborgized warriors take the Zeallot of the Year prize in the Fundamentalist Illustrated Magazine. They're like an order of monks that were custom made to slaughter shit like there's no tomorrow, and carry forward the will of the Immortal Emperor. They usually wipe entire planets just because someone made a joke about the big bloke. And they're supposed to be the GOOD GUYS.

Marine Bad Motherfucker Commander
darkcrusade200708301227xh8.png

Game-wise, the Space Marines are the ultimate generalists. The have the most "standard" game flow, and their basic infantry squad, the vanilla space marines, can kick the hell out off mostly anything. Vehicles, infantry, buildings, be it in melee or long range, they can kill it all. Space Marines don't rely much on vehicles, although they have a few remarkable ones, like the whirlwind and the walkers. I really like playing them.

Marine Death-dealing Machines
smwallvk4.jpg

Chaos Marines

Chaos Intro. Oooo, scary.
darkcrusade200708301225km5.png

These guys are Space marines that were corrupted by the demonic forces of Chaos during the Horus Heresy. They look like, guess what, demonic space marines. They're VERY EVIL! I don't know much about how they play, but they have more specialized units.

Chaos Commander needs to see a dentist, like, right now
darkcrusade200708301226wu4.png

Chaos Units. Very Chaotic, don't you think?
chaoswallsb2.jpg

Orkz

Ork WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
darkcrusade200708301226sy7.png

The orkz are a green fungus (seriously) that speak like stereotyped english lower-class cockney football fans, and not like jamaicans at all, no sir, and shout a lot. They're usually stronger at melee than ranged, and can field ridiculous numbers of troops. The big difference is that they need to build WAAAAGH towers and earn WAAAGH points in order to build more guyz, on top of earning requisition points and power. They're pretty funny to play with. Especially when they chant "orkz orkz orkz orkz".

Ork 'Ead'Unter WARBOSS
darkcrusade200708301227cg2.png

Ork Unitz (sorry)
orkwalwi4.jpg

Eldar

Eldar Intro zzzzzzzzzzzzz
darkcrusade200708301226zb7.png

The eldar are an Elf rip off. The very old race, humankind was still pooping their diapers when the Eldar were colonizing the galaxy (and fucking it up too, by creating the Chaos Gods because all the eldars were fornicating drug addicts). They have extremely specialized troops, each kind of squad or vehicle is good at ONE thing and completely suck at anything else. They can teleport around and look really weird, sorry, original. They have lots of vehicles. They're supposed to be good guys too, but meh, I find them to be a boring lot. The Eldar do have some very cool units, anyway.

Eldar Commander (wooo hot)
darkcrusade200708301226pw6.png

Eldar Units. So sleek.
eldarwallyk1.jpg

The NEW race from Winter Assault

Imperial Guard

IG Intro. They're all gonna die, even if they win.
darkcrusade200708301225vq4.png

While the Space Marines are the nearly immortal, elite, dedicated warrior monks of the Empire, the IG is composed of individually weak and cowardly conscripts. The basic squads suck at melee but have decent guns a LOTS of soldiers. They also have kickass vehicles, including the biggest motherfuking tank in the game. The IG have some cool squad upgrades and a few strong heavy infantry types. They can be pretty annoying as enemies in skirmish game.

IG Commander. Thinks he's Wolverine.
darkcrusade200708301227gc5.png

IG cannon fodder. I mean, troops. Meh, who am I fooling.
igwalldw8.jpg

Challengers approaching!

Tau

Pew pew pew Intro. Erm, PEW PEW PEW PEW
darkcrusade200708301225op8.png

The Tau are the Mecha Anime "inspired" communist aliens. They're the closest you can get to a really GOOD side. They have awesome troops with awesome suits and really cool vehicles. The strange thing about the Tau is that they're the only race who can't fucking build turrets. They have just the Strategic Point Listening Posts and their units as a defense force. I'm going to play with them, because they're fun to play.

The actual Tau guys can't really fight melee at all, but they have lots of friends, like the Vespid, who're the insectal flying DEATH, and the Kroot, who're tribal crazy killer hippies. They jump like crazy, and beat people up with huge Sand People 18th Century rifles. The Tau Commander has ZERO melee damage, but rains deathly lazoers over his poor enemies.

Neon Genesis Commander O'Kais (he's Irish!)
darkcrusade200708301227vc1.png

Gundam troops. oops.
tauwalji3.jpg

Necrons

Necron Intro. Introducing you to the damned darkness.
darkcrusade200708301225ar2.png

The Necros are the coolest and weirdest race in the game. They're a bunch of egyptian-inspired psycho skeleton shaped robots who just wanna wipe all life from the galaxy. They actually managed to do it once, and have been sleeping underground since them. The sad thing for us, the living, is that they've awoken. And they wanna do it again. They might well succeed.

Necron Commander. He just wanna bring you peace. The peace of eternal slumber. That's DEATH, stupid.
darkcrusade200708301226aj4.png

The Necron are also weird gameplay-wise. They don't use the precious Req. Points for much. Instead, they rely solely on Power Generators... They do need to build Listening Posts on captured RPs, in order to reach 100% build speed. At first, they build shit veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, but after capping and LPing 5 points, they get back to full speed. Other weird things include: Their soldiers CANNOT cap points, only their worker units can. So you actually have to build lots of them cute beetles. Oh, their infantry squads get NO weapon upgrades, the fallen soldiers can resurrect, all units are built at the HQ building which is also their Über-unit (and it kicks a LOT of ass), they have units who collect dead necrons and spawn new squads from their innards.... They're all around fucking awesome.

Necron army. They're like MEANER cousins to the T-800 Terminator.
necronwallip3.jpg

This is it for the first post, but I already have more than enough stuff for two more updates. Than that OTHER GUY will take over for a bit. A tiny itty bitty bit.

I promise more funny and more game info. Now you peeps need to help me chose the Commander's name, and a name for the first honor guard unit. NOW.

I also just stole the entirety of his OP. Because I'm a bastard.

So. Same rules: I want a commander name, and an honor guard unit name.

And maybe some direction. Or maybe a race, if you guys feel like torturing me. I'll default to Tau if there's a tie or no race votes.

MechMantis on

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just got this a few weeks ago.

Shas'O Kais and I pulled off some epic shit. EPIC.

august on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love the look of the Tau, but there's a soft spot in my heard for the dogfaces of the Imperial Guard, so either of them. As for a commander name and elite guard name, I am going to go silly and suggest Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. Can you picture that?

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Come on, be the necrons.

Everyone loves souless killer automatons.
    And they look good in green.

see317 on
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    Come on, be the necrons.

Everyone loves souless killer automatons.
    And they look good in green.

That and the jump-capable reviving Necron Lord along with some Flayed Ones kind of really breaks all the campaign missions involving assassinations.

Necrons are cool, but they lack the sheer energy of some of the other races. Play Orkz.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orkz orkz orkz orkz.

Honor Guard name Hulkz

Commander name SMASH.

Or the other way around, your preference.

Sepah on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Imperial Guard for life!

Commander: Gluteus Maximus

Honor Guard: Steel of the Empire

Silpheed on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orkz or Imperial guard. Either way I want to see piles of casualties of those who gave their life for The Emperor/Gork and Mork.

Neaden on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orkz or Necron, I never actually beat the campaign with either.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Play Eldar.

Come on, do it. Fucking do it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alright, Tallytime.

ORKZ: 8

Race has been decided! WAAAAGH!

Commander Name
    Mad Doc Teef (Yes, I Orkified it. DEAL WITH IT.)

Honor Guard:
    1.Electric Mayhem
    2.Hulkz
    3.Steel of the Empire
    4.Fuck Yeah Ninjas
    5.BIG MONKEY

Please suggest more Honor Guard titles. I will NOT be able to use them all, most likely... and everyone knows that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    GUARD!

Commander: Col. McAwesome
    Honor Guard: Fuck Yeah Ninjas

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmm, I like Dr. Teeth as commander name. Honor guard name nominee is ...BIG MONKEY.

'Cause, you know, monkeys.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    TIE!

Commander names added. We might have Dr. Teeth as our commander.

Likewise with the Honor Guard units.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orkz
    Commander: Dr. Teeth
    Honor Guard: Electric Mayhem

I'm keeping the band together damnit.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ya can't vote twice for the same name, silly.

It's going into a list. I have decided that. As of now. Gimmie another name, and I'll add it.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll play your game you rogue, so I'll raise you,

Commander: Sgt. Floyd Pepper

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    But you already voted for a commander name!

It's only honor guard units that can't be voted for! :P

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    orks orks orks...

you can see where I'm going with this, no?

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    OK, fine, then Orkz.

You guys are all sissies.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Poor Goomba. He has to live up his Eldar vote for ALL TIME. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Milquetoast is pretty cool, though. I'll add your vote in.

EDIT: If I get 8 Ork votes, I'll start it tonight.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If you're not going to play an awesome race, then you should play the dumbest. Thus, my vote is Orkz.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am ready for stomping.

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Goombs: How are the Eldar an awesome race? All you do is use rangers to annoy the shit out of people early-mid game. But fine. Vote accepted.

august: Vote in.

WE'Z GONNA PLAY DAH ORKZ!!

WAAAAAGH!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    EDIT: Nuffin D:

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orkz is da stompiest

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orkz is made fer fightin' an winnin'

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Goombs: How are the Eldar an awesome race? All you do is use rangers to annoy the shit out of people early-mid game. But fine. Vote accepted.
    The way I play =! the way they actually are.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In any case, update screenshots loading. I'm gonna let you do the choosing.

EDIT: Uploads done.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm Mad Doc Teef, da real Warboss o' dis WAAAAAGH!! Gorgutz is just ma figure'ead, see. 'Cause den if 'ee dies, I can make anodder WAAAAGH!!, and no-un'll notice.

relic00002.jpg

OI! NARRATOR, GET DAH WARBOSS RIGHT, YOU GROT! Dere's no chance o ma enemies seen dis, so CREDIT WERE CREDITS DUE!!

relic00003.jpg

'Ere we 'ave ma boyz. *sniff* Isn't dat beautiful? Look at all dat DAKKA!

relic00004.jpg

And 'ere we have ma Rok, da way we Orks travel from place ta place.

relic00005.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!

Now, for you 'ummies to see wat I look like, or, well, wat my figure'ead look like:

relic00006.jpg

'Ees da stompiest Ork around. Maybe even more stompy dan me. But I don't tink so. Cause I got more smarts dan him. I could make my own personal Stompa suit if I felt like it. But I don't.

relic00007.jpg

Dis is 'im wit wat I can give 'im. See dat list on da right? Ya, I can build dat stuff. Depending on 'ow good 'ee does, I might make 'im a present.

relic00008.jpg

And DIS is da map o Kronus! We 'ave two choices at da moment: One, we 'it doze Tau boyz to da NORTH a couple a times wit our Choppas. Cause dere no good at Choppin and Stompin and Smashin. Shootin, dey got down.

OR, we could 'ead to da EAST, and fight dem Chaos boyz. 'De're prett good at everythin'. Deys got whirly bitz on 'deir choppas, and dey got dem "Bolta" thingies. Nasty stuff if 'oo get 'it wit one.

So, ma fellow Doks and Meks... Were too?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Stompin' dem Tau boyz would put more green on da map. An green is best!

Head north!

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I fink yoo shud go affer dem Chaos boyz first!

(And if dis iz the awesomeness uv da communtary for da Orkz, I'm glad yoo took 'em!)

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Head north. Those Tau might not know which end of a knife to stick in a person, but on the other side you got Eldar, which are damn fine eating.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    Head north. Those Tau might not know which end of a knife to stick in a person, but on the other side you got Eldar, which are damn fine eating.

WUT IS DIS! A 'UMMIE! SHOOT 'IM! SHOOT 'IM NOW!

Not really. I'm not that evil.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Da Orkz iz da biggest and da strongest yeah? So der are two numbaz, one of dem numbaz iz bigga den de odder numba.

We go afta da bigga one to showz dat we iz da Orkz, and den we make da bigga one all Orky.

ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ

A-Puck on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dem Tau don't know choppin' frum dakkin', dey be eazy pickins, boss!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    enufforks.jpg

Tau makes more sense first, but Chaos are more fighty (higher territory strength) so more fun for the boyz.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    AWRIGHT! Itz decided! WE GONNA BE CHOPPIN TAU BOYZ TONIGHT!

EDIT It's TIED, you filthy GROT! Just as I made ma announcement!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Chaos is by far the best choice. You want to attack the Chaos.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Stomp those pointy 'umans!

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Huh? What now? Ya wanna go beat on doze Chaos boyz? OI! GORGUTZ! TO DA EAST, NOT TO DA NORTH!

(Okay. This is it. No more votes.)

MechMantis on