As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I made a sitcom...

BoxBox Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey all. I had been working on the script for this in The Writers Block for a while, and now it's done and I thought I'd come in the more appropriate forum to post the finished film. It's about 5 twenty-somethings living in a college town liivin' the dream. I hope you guys like it. We worked very, very hard on it.

http://suburbanauts.com/townies.html

Box on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like it.

Russian's kinda annoying though

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Dr SanchezDr Sanchez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As far as student films go, technically, this is very good, I'm no scriptwriter but I thought the writing was the reason the film failed as a comedy (sorry), maybe thats just down to opinion though. Agreed btw, Russian guy was really irritating.

The scenes which were lit, the lighting was well done, congrats to whoever recorded sound/sound edited (it crackles in places but thats nitpicking), Ive always found dialogue heavy scenes to be a bitch when it comes to sound, but you did very well. Except that scene in the kitchin where the characters were very obviously dubbed. Framing was also well suited for the most part also.

Just make sure you don't have auto apature set on the camera, the camera tries to adjusts the brightness mid shot and it made certain parts look really amateur (e.g. @15:16). Also the shots where you change from tripod to handheld (the guy drinking the vodka esp) really didn't work, when people were moving around it was fine.

For the most part editing was good, but there are some cuts that didn't work here and there, like the end of that kitchin scene where the Russian guy takes off his chef hat. And one part later on where theres a shot of Liz and Jim on on a sofa, the shot goes from the two of them, cuts to slightly left of the two of them, then straight back to the first shot again. It was a needless cut as it showed the exact same thing just from a slightly different angle.

I know it difficult to find originality these days but jeez, watch Spaced much? The main two characters were Tim and Jessica Stevenson (can't remember her characters name). The video game guy and the female friend writer in the background setup. The guy who was insane and wrote poems was Brian, and the high pitched girl was Twist. The Resident Evil references were also done heavily in that show, the way you watched her feet running out of the bedroom etc etc it was all way too familular.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it needs to be said if you are to improve. You should be proud of this film and it is very clear alot of hard work went into it. The flashbacks that suddenly introduced Jim for example was very original (and the best part imo).

I'd really like to hear more about how it was made, how long it took, what was difficult in production etc etc

Also, dude, why is there a pic of Harrison Ford on the opening title sequence?

Dr Sanchez on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dr Sanchez wrote: »

Why would there not be a pic of Harrison Ford on the opening sequence?

Edit: also I thought the script was tops man :^:

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dr Sanchez wrote: »

He made a quick cameo in the flashback in the coffee shop. He's one of our friends dads and said he'd do it if he could just walk past in the background someplace.

Nah, I don't know. We thought it would be funny.

About the spaced thing, the names were Tim and Daisy. In our's it's Liz and Jim because it's the actor's real names (Liz's first name, Jim's second. Also Kate's.)

Thanks for all the help though. This was Our first big thing, and I learned a ton from it. I'm not ashamed of it, but kind'a you know? From what I learned making it, I will be able to make the next one so much better, and I wish this one would be the good. I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger.

Box on
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LOL "Dont drag me into this, you know Im trying to stay off the grid!"

Im at the first scene with the russian guy, he is fucking cool so far..

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed it, haven't seen the end yet, but I laughed a few times. I love the russian, "dis is you, you are goat" was good. Overall, seems to have potential.

Iruka on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not bad at all. Some decent writing.

That "I wish my life was a musical" scene was a bit of a turd. Went on too long.

But overall, I would watch this more or less regularly.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hahha, "Don't play cake favourites."
    God damn right!

mully on
  • Options
    PitaParkerPitaParker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked it quite a bit. I didn't think the Russian guy was annoying he was probably my favorite part actually. One thing I noticed though is all the Dinosaur pictures on the wall at the girls' house, I'm not saying chicks can't dig dinosaurs but it just seemed strange lol. Good job to you sir and all that are responsible.

PitaParker on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That girl is pretty cute.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    PitaParker wrote: »
    I liked it quite a bit. I didn't think the Russian guy was annoying he was probably my favorite part actually. One thing I noticed though is all the Dinosaur pictures on the wall at the girls' house, I'm not saying chicks can't dig dinosaurs but it just seemed strange lol. Good job to you sir and all that are responsible.

At the end Kate says she loves dinosaurs, if that makes that make more sense. Also, that realy is Betsy's (the girl that plays Liz) house. The guy's townhouse is Hailey (Kate) and I's house. Also, thanks alot guys for the encouraging words, guys. I'm glad some of you are digging it.

Box on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Raziel wrote: »
    Not bad at all. Some decent writing.

That "I wish my life was a musical" scene was a bit of a turd. Went on too long.

But overall, I would watch this more or less regularly.

I agree about the green screen stuff. We got a little cought up in it. I love the turky joke, but it could have been about 30 sec. shorter.

Box on
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That girl is very cute.

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can never find the patience to sit through these things. I did sit through this however and although I think it could have been funnier, all in all I think it was extremely well done.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it was cool, the Russian was cool, but he always looks way too tired, and i like the girl, say hi for me. :winky:

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it was cool, the Russian was cool, but he always looks way too tired, and i like the girl, say hi for me. :winky:

"This guy from the internet who calls himself Doctor Pain says hi"
    yeah that's gonna earn you big points with the ladies...

Anyway the acting was pretty good, the Russian seemed the least believable (not dirty or old enough... plus no five o-clock shadow). The line about cake favorites was definitely the funniest moment for me. Loved the turkey as well, though for her life being a musical there wasn't all that much singing. I'd be interested in seeing what would happen in a more plot based episode as opposed to the dialog based one.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Liz or Kate? What am I saying? No. I will not tell her. Quit it.

Box on
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Box wrote: »

Liz or Kate? What am I saying? No. I will not tell her. Quit it.
    the first one.

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ehmavisca wrote: »
    That girl is very cute.

Mr. H.G. Blob on
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked it--my short attention span didn't wander throughout the entire 16 minutes. Loved the Russian guy...I have a Serbian friend who talks just like that. My favorite character. Going to have more episodes? Say yes or die.

trixtah on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed this, really, would watch more. The little loading scenes are cute.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yeah i thought it was really good too..funnier than some of the stuff on the new fall line up at least.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pretty good for an amateur video.

I think it was a little slow and that the actors were really trying to act way too hard, but it held my attention for the episode so good work.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    trixtah wrote: »
    I liked it--my short attention span didn't wander throughout the entire 16 minutes. Loved the Russian guy...I have a Serbian friend who talks just like that. My favorite character. Going to have more episodes? Say yes or die.

Yes. But we aren't going to start filming episode two until January and then be done mid February. From there we are going to keep the every other month schedule.

Box on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Pretty good for an amateur video.

I think it was a little slow and that the actors were really trying to act way too hard, but it held my attention for the episode so good work.

I'd agree with this. Mostly a great effort, but the pacing was slow.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't know if any of you guys poked around on the rest of the site, but if you did, any thought on some of the shorts we did?

Box on