As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Buy HDTV offer + 360 = insane crazy low prices!?

DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So one of my coworkers was what I thought to be talking out her ass today, saying best buy was offering that if you bought a certain tv you got a 360 pro free. Of course im either thinking its a 4000$ television or its a bargin basement tv that is really crappy.

I take a closer look at the advert, and its for any samsung DLP tv, you get 350$ off when you buy a 360 with it (so free 360 pro). On second look, this offer is good with any 360 console, not just the pro. (At first maybe I thought they were trying to dump their non HDMI pros, or sell elites or some sort of shenanagins). This is an instant rebate as well.

Caveats:
Prices of the televisions you ask?
Right now, one of the TV's is at 999$, which is a 50" DLP 720p set. A step up to 1080p is 1500$. (All their DLP's are on sale as well already)

TV model's and quality:
I dont know specificly about the quality of the TV's themselves, but ive been told samsung DLP's arent bad at all, just seems like the models here at huge footprint wise.(and of course there 50" tvs, so its expected) Any experience with these models im sure would be appreciated by others here, as I am lacking in that department

My only true complaint is that I really dont have room for a 50" television or I would be all over this in a heartbeat. I thought if you were like me, and in the market for both a tv and 360, this seems like a really good deal depending on the tv you need.

Original link to the Advert online:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat131500050063

Edit: Heres a listing of models and sizes for samsung DLP TV's, it looks like the smallest possible is 42", Best buy says any DLP tv, but only lists 50"+ on their website, Im going to go look after work in a B&M to see if they carry smaller models, and ill report back:
http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/search_results.aspx?brand=86&screen=2&res=17,9&type=1&page=2#results

UPDATE: Theres something wonky going on with the online checkout, and it counts part of the sales price of the tv as part of your instant savings, so you pretty much get 150$ off the entire deal. While this is still a considerably good deal, it really isnt showing up how it should, and needs verifying that it isnt showing up correctly. I am going to the store after work to verify how the deal works, and ill keep everyone posted on this.

ok found out whats going on:
On the very bottom of the listing for the 360 on a completely unrelated page, this is listed at the bottom:
*$200 TV Savings + $150 Package Savings = $350 Total Savings Must be purchased on same receipt. So through some voodoo witchcraft math there including the sale price savings with the bundle.

So this is actually: buy tv + 360, get 150$ off.

steam_sig.png
DiannaoChong on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Damn.

I wonder whether they ship to Australia for cheap.

Naw. =/

devoir on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love my 42 inch 720p samsung DLP, got it about a year ago. Not had any problems, great picture, and my 360 looks great hooked up to it.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    so far the smallest tv available is 50" it seems, I might have to check out in store to see if they have smaller DLP's.... does anyone know do they have like 36" DLP's per chance? This deal would be awesome with those.

Edit: looks like smallest that exist for DLP from samsung is 42"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't want to rain on your parade but my Samsung HDTV died in less than two years. I'm not saying yours will, but God get that extended warranty.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I don't want to rain on your parade but my Samsung HDTV died in less than two years. I'm not saying yours will, but God get that extended warranty.

Was it dlp? What model?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Was it dlp? What model?

It was not a DLP, but it irked me enough to never buy another Samsung pos again. My previous monitor was also a Samsung. It died a couple months ago. YMMV, wish you the best of luck, just get that warranty. There might be a reason every big box store is having huge sales on Samsung DLPs right now.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Was it dlp? What model?

It was not a DLP, but it irked me enough to never buy another Samsung pos again. My previous monitor was also a Samsung. It died a couple months ago. YMMV, wish you the best of luck, just get that warranty. There might be a reason every big box store is having huge sales on Samsung DLPs right now.

Yes I was wondering about that myself, was hoping it was just liquidating old models though

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had my Samsung DLP (50 inch) for about 2 years with not one problem. I've also moved it to 3 different houses (and I rode on the back of a truck hugging it the whole way). I would buy Samsung before any other product on the market.

urahonky on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not a bad deal, especially if you have the space for DLP. I would, however, suggest browsing slickdeals before you make the decision on this one.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had my Samsung plasma for a year and it's been awesome; I've even had people say they wish they had bought Samsung after seeing the picture quality (although that may largely be from good calibration). On the other hand, a friend with a Samsung DLP had it die just outside his year warranty. The color wheel went out, but they replaced it anyway since it was only a couple weeks outside the warranty.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    this is what i hate, I have room for a 42 inch one if it means i get this deal, i dont have room for a 50" by far.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Caveats:
    Right now, one of the TV's is at 999$, which is a 50" DLP 720p set. A step up to 1080p is 1500$. (All their DLP's are on sale as well already)

I was excited upon reading this and added everything to my cart, but it seems as though it doesn't treat that TV as $999. Instead, it treats it as its before sale price of $1199, and so if you count it at $999 you only get $150 bucks off :(.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    With a few exceptions like DLP TVs, warranties are almost always a waste of money.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Caveats:

I was excited upon reading this and added everything to my cart, but it seems as though it doesn't treat that TV as $999. Instead, it treats it as its before sale price of $1199, and so if you count it at $999 you only get $150 bucks off :(.

So it dosent give you the sale price of the tv but the regular price only? Thats very stupid....

edit: This actually dosent make sense, because the tv is on SALE, not any type of rebate or instant, or offer to bring the price down. I would think its just calculating this incorrectly.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Caveats:

So it dosent give you the sale price of the tv but the regular price only? Thats very stupid....

Yeah... That's what I said. I probably would have went straight at this deal for the thousand, but that extra 200 bucks makes it not an impulse deal, and so I don't know.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Something smells fishy, but it could just be BB's business practices.

Shade on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a few years of experience with Samsung Tv's, and I know some other retailers will either agree or disagree with me (this could also be a reflection of the exact model/series their company receives. Some companies, Sears and Costco included will not get the best of the best). I spent the past few years working for CC before they laid me off. After 3 years of selling Tvs, 1 year of installing them, and another year handling returns/repairs I've gotten a good feel of things.

Do's: Buy a samsung DLP. Awesome Tv's for cheap. Yes the 1st generation had color wheel issues. But since then, besides a minor power supply issue with gen 2 there hasn't been any major issues. These Tv's kick butt. Yes, the bulb does burn it. Yes, it generally costs $350. So yes, DO buy the extended warranty. Generally the warranty costs about the price of one bulb replacement. Also, their LCD Tv's are pretty darn awesome also. Great contrast ratios. Ultra bright colors, although if you're a nutball like me, and you want the truest color possible, this probably isn't the tv for you. Neither is any Sony tv. But, if you really are a nutball like me, then you already knew that, and are reading this to critique my post. Enjoy!

Don't: Ever ever ever, buy a Samsung tube. Here's the reaction I've heard multiple times about their slimline tubes:

Soccer mom: "Wow, this is amazing looking, and it'll fit right in my old tv cabinet. It's very pretty"

and the reaction two weeks later...

Soccer mom: "Wow, this thing sucks. It won't turn on. I hate Samsungs. I hate your store. I hate you. Burn in hell".

Something close to that. Seriously, their tubes suck. The non slimlines have terrible picture quality for an HD tv. Their Slimlines look great, for about a week.

When it comes to their plasmas, well, I could take it or leave it. They do alright, but you're better off with their LCD or DLP line. I stopped checking up on their plasma models.

Anyways, if this is helpful, cool. If not, sorry. I'm a huge home entertainment geek. It's easy for me to get lost in my own conversations about this stuff.

(Oh and there is a way to turn off Samsung's cartoonish on and off sound.)

-MJ

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I love the "cartoonish" on and off sound. Sounds like an 8-bit TV... Perfect for a gamer's TV.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    Something smells fishy, but it could just be BB's business practices.

Oh, and yeah, I'm a little biased, but BB has been known for some slick moves before. Most of the time, their sales like these are legit, but this is also the company that once upon a time misused their intranet web site to mislead customers. If you're like me, you check a companies prices over their websites. An awesome practice since the website prices are more likely to be cheaper than a stores. And with big box stores, they will price match their own website. BB employee's figured out that by using the store intranet that had the same prices posted in the store, they could counter any price change objections.

Customer Bob sees a tv for 450 dollars on the internet. Bob goes to the store and the tv is 599. Bob claims that the tv is 450 on the website. A BB employee takes Bob over to the "internet"/intranet terminal and says he'll check the website to ensure Bob is right. The intranet site agrees with the BB associate. Bob gets ripped off for 150 bucks.

There was a law suite somewhere along the way about a year or two ago about this. I thought it was funny.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Haha, yeah that's exactly how it's being done (still to this day Nrthstar). Many of the employees at my Best Buy store know that it's part of an intranet and not the internet. So if the customer is nice about it, they'll log into one of the notebooks on display in the computer department to check the internet.

If the customer is being a dick, then they take them to the intranet.

Moral of the story: Don't be a dick to employees of a retail store, and you can get deals.

urahonky on
  • Options
    tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nrthstar wrote: »
    Yes, the bulb does burn it. Yes, it generally costs $350. So yes, DO buy the extended warranty. Generally the warranty costs about the price of one bulb replacement.

The new Samsung DLP's use and LED Engine that has a much longer life span than the old bulb models.
    I have this one at home:
    Samsung HLT5087S

EDIT: Yeah, meant LED

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    tralev wrote: »

The new Samsung DLP's use and LCD Engine that has a much longer life span than the old bulb models.
    I have this one at home:
    Samsung HLT5087S

You mean LED engine (don't start confusing people) right. haha yeah, you have Samsungs answer to Sony's LCOS tech. The HLT series is awesome!

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I saw this on a few deal sites earlier this week, and I thought it'd be perfect for me since i'm going to be getting both a 360 and a HDTV relatively soon. The whole thing where you don't get the sale price on the TV completely turned me off of it though, especially since I wanted to get something reasonably sized anyway (37-42").

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oceaniax wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw this on a few deal sites earlier this week, and I thought it'd be perfect for me since i'm going to be getting both a 360 and a HDTV relatively soon. The whole thing where you don't get the sale price on the TV completely turned me off of it though, especially since I wanted to get something reasonably sized anyway (37-42").

You don't get the sale price on the TV turned you off? What do you mean? It "just" takes money off the 360 is bad? I don't understand.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well im gonna head over there after work:

A: To check to see if they carry smaller tvs in stock in store

B: To see if the prices are coming up correctly (from a common sense view, a sale isnt an offer, its just what there selling the item for, and thats even reflected in the cart, so it should be another 200$ off.)

Updating original post.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    doh wrong button.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I love the "cartoonish" on and off sound. Sounds like an 8-bit TV... Perfect for a gamer's TV.

Oh yes you'll love it when it makes its going off sound except it makes it very, very slowly. Same sound, except very slow. Then it never comes back on. Trust me I know. You'll hear that sound and terror will strike you.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This deal actually makes me fairly angry, its worded directly to mislead you into believing theres a bigger discount to be had then there actually is.

I would say were more technicly inclined, and weary of these things, and we had to dig to figure out what was going on, this is pretty shady.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Oh yes you'll love it when it makes its going off sound except it makes it very, very slowly. Same sound, except very slow. Then it never comes back on. Trust me I know. You'll hear that sound and terror will strike you.

*closes ears* I CANT HEAR YOU!! LALALALA~!!!! THAT WONT HAPPEN TO ME!! LALAL!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You don't get the sale price on the TV turned you off? What do you mean? It "just" takes money off the 360 is bad? I don't understand.

All I'm saying is that it's not as impressive a deal as it initially appears to be. While it's still decent, it no longer remains a (in my opinion) "OMGMUSTBUY!!" kind of thing, unless you specifically are looking for one of the aformentioned samsung units.

On that note, there have been several people who have obtained both the sale price AND the -350 XBOX reduction. It's a YMMV situation, as it really depends on who you happen to get on the phone or which store you go to.

PS: Even if you can't get the deals to combined, you can still use this 10% off coupon as long as you do instore pickup rather than ship it from the site. Or so i've been told at least.

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I could get this shipped to the UK for free, I so would.

Edit: paying for it would probably involve selling a kidney or 3

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Does Best Buy's brick and mortar stores offer any other TVs than the ones listed? I mean, is there a few cheaper models I could possibly go with, as 50" is pretty big, and without the 200 off it isn't as worth it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Of course they do Radikal_Dreamer. I'd head in there and take a peek. The ones online are usually ones they are able to ship from their warehouse.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

All I'm saying is that it's not as impressive a deal as it initially appears to be. While it's still decent, it no longer remains a (in my opinion) "OMGMUSTBUY!!" kind of thing, unless you specifically are looking for one of the aformentioned samsung units.

On that note, there have been several people who have obtained both the sale price AND the -350 XBOX reduction. It's a YMMV situation, as it really depends on who you happen to get on the phone or which store you go to.

The way the advert is worded in every way, shows you should get 350$ off once you put in a 360 with it.if it were worded correctly, it should state, save 150$ off when you add a 360........... So in store you can probably pull this off, and to be honest, if they didnt honor it, it would be a pretty scumbag move on best buys part (not specific employees, theyere just doing their job). Im going to go see if I can get this deal on a smaller tv still, even though the advert states those specific models....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually it says:
    Excludes prior purchases. May not be valid in combination with other offers.

Which means the $350 off is on the regular price, not the sale price. It's how retail does it guys... Don't act like this is some cheap screw tactic by only Best Buy. Every company does it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    edit: nevermind im not arguing this anymore, its fairly plain to see that this offer is easily misinterpreted. Someone said its possible depending on your store to get the sale price, then 350$ off, so im going to attempt to do that based on the bad wording of this deal.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I dont consider a sale price to be an offer, especially when in the cart, it lists the sales price as the items actuall price.
    1. to present for acceptance or rejection; proffer: He offered me a cigarette.
    2. to propose or put forward for consideration: to offer a suggestion.
    3. to propose or volunteer (to do something): She offered to accompany me.
    4. to make a show of intention (to do something): We did not offer to go first.
    5. to give, make, or promise: She offered no response.
    6. to present solemnly as an act of worship or devotion, as to God, a deity or a saint; sacrifice.
    7. to present for sale: He offered the painting to me at a reduced price.

EDIT: I'm not saying this isn't shady. I'm just saying all retailers are doing this kind of crap now, and us consumers should be used to it by now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually Does that bolded text even work like you think it does? that text means the same thing if it says "he offered me the painting for MSRP"(or "he offered to sell me the painting") presenting for sale is just a sales pitch or price quoting :P everything on their add is presented for sale...

Im not even trying to argue anymore(I dont care, just gonna try to get my deal and if dosent work, oh well, seriously), im just curious on that point.....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm true. Here's what you do: Print out the sales ad. Bring it in the store, talk with an employee. If he gives you trouble, ask for a manager. Start creating a fuss, and you'll get your way. But you didn't hear this from me. :winky:

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm true. Here's what you do: Print out the sales ad. Bring it in the store, talk with an employee. If he gives you trouble, ask for a manager. Start creating a fuss, and you'll get your way. But you didn't hear this from me. :winky:

Oh ive worked in retail, I know this secret ;) (Im currently gauging how much fuss this is actually worth though, haha). Its mainly the online advert that reads really off, it looks like the print advert is pretty clear with fine print. So weill see what magic I can pull here.

Actually my last post was pretty dickish I apologize im just talking out my ass today apparently.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png