As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Drug experience- 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)

SamSam Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Anyone ever try this? It's a natural capsule made from roudn seeds of a plant (name of which escapes me) that basically boosts serotonin, and mediates appetite (rather than eliminating hunger it curbs craving once you've eaten a smaller amount than usual. It also seems to have an interaction with a certain illegal herb- apparently it boosts the effect. I just tried it today for the first time. I like it, but it does feel strange too. On the fence about making any conclusions about it.

Sam on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have trouble believing that any changes in mood from 5-HTP are due to anything but placebo effect.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    have you tried it?

Sam on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    have you tried it?

The better question is "why?". Whether he's tried it is irrelevant, whether or not he has information is what a) matters and square) generates further discussion that doesn't at all resemble "you don't know me man, you can't be me, you can't feel me".

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes.

It's not a drug in any meaningful sense. The typical explanation for its action is that its a precursor to serotonin synthesis, one step after tryptophan. The idea is that if you take more of this "building block," your body will create more serotonin, making you happier or helping you sleep better.

It shouldn't work that way. Your body can only convert so much 5-HTP to serotonin at any given time. If you already get enough tryptophan in your diet, you should already have all the 5-HTP you need, so there's no reason 5-HTP should elevate serotonin any further. Besides that, it takes 8-12 hours for tryptophan to be converted to serotonin; and it takes several more hours for serotonin to be converted to melatonin; yet people report using 5-HTP as an insomnia aid 30 minutes before bedtime. Again, it's just very hard to believe.

It's possible that 5-HTP might have a mechanism of action completely independent of the serotonin synthesis pathway. I'm willing to accept that possibility. I would be very, very surprised if that were the case, but I've been surprised before. I'd need to see some replicated, placebo-controlled studies demonstrating a consistent effect.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2007
    That said, I could see it having some limited use in the elderly, in people with restricted diets, or people with digestive or metabolic disorders as an amino acid replacement. In young, healthy people who eat a lot? Not so much.

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    hmm. What would you attribute the interaction with cannabis to? And I think that interaction is definitely real, read self experiment logs where placebos were used, plus I observed 3 people myself.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm a scientist before I'm a pot-head, and you didn't give me any reason to believe that interaction is real just there. Self-experiment? Observing three people who came into it planning to get really really high? No. Real experiment or bio-chemical explaination.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What would you attribute the interaction with cannabis to?

I don't know.

I am open to the possibility that there is more going on with it than we know. I'm just skeptical.

Most of the uses of I've heard of are either health-food nuts using it as an insomnia or depression aid (if used by somebody who eats a vegetarian or vegan diet with an incomplete amino acid profile, I could see it having some effect; again as an amino acid 'replacement') or as "preloading" with MDMA users. The irony of combining it with ecstasy is that there's mounting evidence that the sought-after subjective effects of MDMA actually have little to do with serotonin and everything to do with dopamine and oxytocin. (Which, BTW, totally proves me wrong, because I've spent years talking to people about MDMA and serotonin - see? I'm willing to reverse my position if there is compelling evidence!)

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm a scientist before I'm a pot-head, and you didn't give me any reason to believe that interaction is real just there. Self-experiment? Observing three people who came into it planning to get really really high? No. Real experiment or bio-chemical explaination.

You're right, but could it really be the placebo effect with that many different people? When it comes down to it, you can't scientifcally measure stoned-ness can you? I'm not trying to argue that it works. But it doesn't seem entirely reasonable to write off all self reported effects as placebo- unless there really have been placebo effects this widespread.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You're right, but could it really be the placebo effect with that many different people? When it comes down to it, you can't scientifcally measure stoned-ness can you? I'm not trying to argue that it works. But it doesn't seem entirely reasonable to write off all self reported effects as placebo- unless there really have been placebo effects this widespread.

I have watched a bunch of dudes get stoned together on oregano. Got the munchies and everything.
    Somebody else's mean prank.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    :lol:

Sam on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    also, wouldn't that taste like shit to smoke?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    also, wouldn't that taste like shit to smoke?

The only thing most frat-guys know about pot is that it is a means of "getting fucked up".

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm reminded of that scene from Go, where the girl is selling aspirin as tablets of ecstasy.

"It works the best if you smoke a lot of pot with it..."

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a scientist before I'm a pot-head.

Best thing to come of this thread? I think so.

It's great because it's pretty funny, but it's also exactly how I feel.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    This is such an H/A thread. What the hell?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    This is such an H/A thread. What the hell?
    They're all hopped up on goofballs.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    damn kids and their reefer madness. Meh, I'd say we're done anyway.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.