As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dave Perry: Nintendo kills 3rd party games

plufimplufim DrRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
OK, I was reading a Dave Perry interview on gonintendo, and he dropped this.... rather interesting claim.
A portion of a GamesIndustry interview with Dave Perry. Check out the conspiracy theory below…

GI: What do you think about the development situation on the Wii, in that a lot of publishers are jumping in late to the party and they’ve also got to compete with Nintendo’s first-party titles?

DP: That’s the bottom line. Do your homework. You have to allow for that. You can’t assume it is going to be like the other platforms, because you are going to have Nintendo taking most of the sales. And if Nintendo really sees you as a threat, they will take the moves to wipe you out. They are not going to let you win.

Meaning, if you sell your game and you are charging USD 60 or 50, or whatever price you choose, they will sell their games at USD 39.99 and they will kick your ass. So, the bottom line is, whatever you thought your business plan was, they can shake your world at a moment’s notice and they have a track record of doing that. So I would be very concerned with wanting to bet the farm on a Nintendo platform.
He then goes on to say he's glad they're back. But I have to ask, does anyone here agree with this point of view?
At first I just figured it was more of Perry's whackiness in the games press, but then I thought that maybe there was something to it - that being undercutting the price of their own games when a 3rd party has a similar game out. Although Nintendo actively targeting 3rd parties who are seen as a "threat" seems a bit rich... look out ubisoft!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
steam_sig.png
plufim on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't see how 3rd party sales can threaten 1st party sales.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are 1st party console Nintendo games at 39.99? That's news to me.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I don't know how true that is.

Box on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "And if Nintendo really sees you as a threat, they will take the moves to wipe you out."

:lol:

He imagines that a Nintendo SWAT team busts through the windows of too-successful developer's houses, all screamin' "down! down! down!" at your wife and kids as they ransack your house. From your vantage point with your cheek against the floor, you watch helplessly as they smash up your family photos and whatnot. As they filter back out and into their silent, black helicopter, the last one pauses, looks at you in disgust, and urinates on your bed.

Also, this: "Meaning, if you sell your game and you are charging USD 60 or 50, or whatever price you choose, they will sell their games at USD 39.99 and they will kick your ass."

I will translate: "I've heard that if you price your games above the standard for the platform, Nintendo doesn't kindly raise theirs and everyone else's prices to match!"

What a dumbass.

gilrain on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well.. in Australia Excite Truck launched at $100 while monster 4x4 was $110....

But Ubisoft were being douches thinking they could charge xbox360 prices for wii games.

And monster 4x4 was less fun then cancer.

Yeah, I'm back to thinking Perry's just shooting his mouth off again.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eggmaneggman Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Box wrote: »

I don't know how true that is.

It's quite ture.

If you live in the UK and pay in GBP for your games. But even 3rd party titles are going for that there.

eggman on
    'To the last I grapple with thee,
    From hells heart I stab at thee,
    To the end, I spit my last breath at thee'

Best. Sci-Fi Quote. Ever
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aren't the majority of first party titles on ALL systems cheaper? I know when I bought Halo 3 it was substantially cheaper than other 360 games.

And again, we come back to the same point made when 3rd parties complain bout having to compete with Nintendo "What do you expect Nintendo to do? Make their games worse?"

-SPI- on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First-party games don't kill third-party games. Third-party games kill third-party games.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First-party games don't kill third-party games. Third-party games kill third-party games.

Exactly. But let's not have 3rd parties taking responsibility for making bad games - it's the fault of those who make games that are better!

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked MDK. Maybe if we saw a sequel to that done well there'd be something worth talking about here. Otherwise, third parties don't have anyone to blame but themselves unless they've been working on hacked homebrew kits in wisconsin. Wii uses the same tools as the gamecube and is always quoted as being one and a half gamecubes in comparable output, so we have every right to expect a gamecube game +50%, not settle for PS2 releases -50%.

Despite all that, I think I know what Perry is getting at, but even then i'd question it.

Polago on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dave Perry is a fucking idiot. I mean, how you can take seriously guy who interviews himself, and sends his "interview" as a press release to various websites? Talk about pathetic. :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nintendo came into this console gen saying they're not in it for the race.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If Dave Perry makes a game that isn't horseshit for a current generation system then I'll have to listen to what he has to say about how much he hates Cooking Mama or some shit. I enjoy the Wii immensely and I do not give 2 fucks about the how and the why of it.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Dave Perry is a fucking idiot.

Seriously. He's like Dr. Derek Smart minus the super-villain personality and fake PhD.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know much about this Dave Perry fella, only that his company made Enter the Matrix.

So fuck Dave Perry.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unbreakable Vow, are you referencing Todd Rundgren? If so: awesome.

Anyway, I think Perry might be referring to the days when Yamauchi ruled with an iron fist, but those days are done. Either way he's an idiot. Do third-party devs get pissed off at Microsoft when Halo outsells everything else for months on end? This is not a slam at Halo, BTW. I like Halo. But Nintendo isn't the only hardware/software company with first party titles that outsell third party titles.

Norfair on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is this the same guy who keeps hollering about how UMD is a dead format and how releasing games on it is stupid? And how they need to release a new PSP with no UMD drive? So that you can redownload all of your 1.8 GB games onto your memory sticks?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is this the same guy who keeps hollering about how UMD is a dead format and how releasing games on it is stupid? And how they need to release a new PSP with no UMD drive? So that you can redownload all of your 1.8 GB games onto your memory sticks?

He has a lot of good ideas, like a dancing MMO for instance. That's right. An Online RPG about dancing. Called "Dance".

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This dave perry might be an idiot but some how good ole' nintendo and their 3rd party exclusion seems about on par. I am not shocked at all. The lack of support to 3rd parties is appalling and very stupid. Nintendo will die a slow death if they think 1st party games will keep them indefinitely.

If anyone that works at nintendo reads this-- GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND HELP 3rd parties!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

He has a lot of good ideas, like a dancing MMO for instance. That's right. An Online RPG about dancing. Called "Dance".

You mean something like this?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This dave perry might be an idiot but some how good ole' nintendo and their 3rd party exclusion seems about on par. I am not shocked at all. The lack of support to 3rd parties is appalling and very stupid. Nintendo will die a slow death if they think 1st party games will keep them indefinitely.

If anyone that works at nintendo reads this-- GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND HELP 3rd parties!
    How are they not? Aren't the Wii and the DS the two cheapest consoles to develop for, right now? While also having the largest player base? What else should they do? Make worse games so the third parties' shit looks better?

gilrain on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    while I don't think Nintendo is snubbing 3rd parties now, he is correct in that they have a history of doing so. Nintendo was ruthless during the NES days.

Although, to be sure, their practices HAVE changed.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You mean something like this?

Korean MMO's, lawl. We actually had a [Game On] for that here a long time ago. <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Did Nintendo rape Perry's first born during the SNES days or what?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did Nintendo rape Perry's first born during the SNES days or what?

nintendo was pretty strict with 3rd party developers, yes.

Although perry's company was actually one that nintendo really cooperated with. Interplay. Mainly because they sold their games as "non-violent" alternatives, like Claymates or Clayfighters.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dave Perry: Dave Perry kills Fun Games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Your joke was ruined by the emote.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

I hate the damn emote. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Now with stupid ass space!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You do know that, unless dealing with a ratio, there's supposed to be a space after a colon?

lol colon

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

You do know that, unless dealing with a ratio, there's supposed to be a space after a colon?

lol colon

Mario Kart is a ratio. One Kart: Double the Dash!!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think he's trying to be like Reggie, really.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »

lol colon
    Mario Kart is a ratio. One Kart: Double the Dash!!
    Okay that makes sense.

gilrain on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know much about this Dave Perry fella, only that his company made Enter the Matrix.

So fuck Dave Perry.

Okay ... I'm getting the vibe that most of the board is just too young. Dave Perry hasn't made too many great games in recent memory, but he's not a complete fucking simp with no perspective. Back when he was actually a developer and not a manager he was responsible for some damned good games ... specifically Cool Spot and Earthworm Jim.

Shiny is just one of those companies that didn't fare well in the jump from 2D to 3D. At one point they had some clout, and because of that people still listen to Dave Perry ... but the idea that he has anything insightful to say about Nintendo ... that's laughable. The only game he was involved with on the Gamecube was Enter the Matrix; and with absolutely no N64 games in his company's portfolio, any firsthand knowledge he has regarding dealing with Nintendo is at least 12 years old and completely fucking irrelevant at this point.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Something stinks in this forum...The same day a Dave Perry is an idiot thread appears someone just happens to make an EWJ thread. What's next, Messiah is awesome sauce thread? Enter The Matrix LP thread?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    RaNcIdPsYcHoJoShRaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Amazing how Dave Perry, a guy who's been in video games since he was 15, apparently knows less than a bunch of nerds engaging in an "I love the Wii and Dave Perry's a fucking moron for thinking it's anything less than perfect" circlejerk on a forum.

RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Amazing how Dave Perry, a guy who's been in video games since he was 15, apparently knows less than a bunch of nerds engaging in an "I love the Wii and Dave Perry's a fucking moron for thinking it's anything less than perfect" circlejerk on a forum.

This would be a valid point if not for the absolute insanity the man has been spouting for the past few years. There is also the fact that he hasn't made a game worth playing in quite some time.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Considering how on every Nintendo console I have, both home and portable, the first party games were usually MORE expensive, I'm going to have to stick with 'he doesn't know what he's talking about'.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think he has some really interesting ideas for the business side of the video games industry, but yeah, as mausmalone said, he is really not in a position to be criticising nintendo in the way he is doing.

Criticising them in itself is not a bad thing, I mean, despite their current massive success, they are by no means infallable. It just feels to me like he is saying "what they are doing is wrong, I know better" alot.

Also MDK is badass.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    while I don't think Nintendo is snubbing 3rd parties now, he is correct in that they have a history of doing so. Nintendo was ruthless during the NES days.

You can't really hate a company for being dicks in the past or else you would hate every single company that has ever existed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

You can't really hate a company for being dicks in the past or else you would hate every single company that has ever existed.

Sure you can.

That's why I have... The List.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)