As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tiny Titanium Terror Torments Tender Tulips with Torrid Tango (Chibi Robo)

tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
dancedy0.jpg

According to Wikipedia Chibi Robo: Park Patrol is due out the second of October, but will only be available at Walmart. :/

swinglv4.th.jpg
La la-la. I spend my idyllic days frolicking...

waterbi8.th.jpg
...watering the flowers...

bike2nu4.th.jpg
...riding my bike...

disconh3.th.jpg
...and disco dancing. Nothing could possibly go wrong!

DUN-DUN-DUH!

shadowskt1.th.jpg
Holy shit! Evil shadows!

evilflowerng4.th.jpg
Shadows make flowers evil? How can that be?!

homemb1.th.jpg
I'd better go back home to recharge and figure out what the fuck is going on.

nottellyyu1.th.jpg
Wait a second...where's Telly and what the fuck is this voltorb doing in my charging station?

shadows2bb9.th.jpg
Crap. No time to worry about that, those shadows have gotten organized.

buggyal8.th.jpg
It's time to kick some. Let's ride.

To be honest, I don't really know much about this game. It's been pretty low profile and for a little while there people thought it had been canceled because GS was refunding pre-orders, but it turns out that was just because Walmart cut a deal to be the sole distributor of the game.

I do know that this game takes place mostly outside as opposed to the original, though some screenshots suggest that there are indoor areas as well. I wonder how being outside will affect the recharging part of the game. I don't know if any of you have ever been outside, but there are a lot fewer outlets out there.

This is a sequel to one of the greatest games ever made and I sincerely hope that it does well because I can't wait to see Chibi Robo for the Wii.

Videos
Two gameplay mongages (holy fuck, you can run over the shadows!):
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/826/826670/vids_1.html

Information Block
Title: Chibi Robo! Park Patrol
Developer: skip ltd
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: July 5, 2007 Japan, October 2, 2007 US

Wii Code:
0431-6094-6446-7088
tarnok on

• Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I didn't know this was coming out so soon. With Tingle, this and Zelda my DS is finally going to see a lot of action. First day buy.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It looks pretty awful. The Walmart thing is strange too.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Walmart thing is definitely strange.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Chibi Robo the first was pure awesome. A huge explore 'em up in the Metroid/Zelda/Castlevania 'new abilities unlock new areas which unlock new abilitites which...' style.

However I haven't heard much about this one and store exclusivity rarely points to great things.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why on earth would anyone want to have exclusive rights to selling a Chibi Robo game? I mean, I will buy it day one, but I can't imagine it will sell more than a couple hundred copies. Anyone know how the first one did?

Maybe to be the sole seller of Halo 3 or Smash Bros or something, but Chibi Robo? Weird.

God I loved Chibi Robo GC.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I have to say that the Walmart thing sounds a little weird. But I can live with shopping at Walmart.

I'm a little disappointed in the graphics. It's not that they're really so terrible, it's just that the GC version looked so good.

Ack, image host is crapping out.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Yeah, I have to say that the Walmart thing sounds a little weird. But I can live with shopping at Walmart.

I can't. I'll have to wait for someone to trade it in at EB. At least that way I can wait and see if it's good or not.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hopefully, this is a timed exclusive. :x

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I need to get me some GC Chibi Robo.

This, however, looks passable.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    After all the love Chibi Robo got the first time around I'm kind of surprised there's so little excitement this time.

Nintendo's blurb.

A very exciting preview from IGN which describes Park Patrol as "just as charming as it was on the GameCube." (Names some characters so avoid this if you're paranoid about knowing things before hand)

Information dump at gonintendo. (Also names characters)

Can't wait till Tuesday. Too bad I can't just take the week off from work.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am playing this game right now. It is wonderful. I miss that useless bastard Telly. That is all.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ooh, ooh! Impressions! Is the gameplay similar to the first?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I played a bit of the Japanese version

It's not as good as the GC one, but it's not bad

I ended up quitting because I couldn't understand anything that it was telling me to do (language barrier) I imagine that I'll end up playing the whole way through the American release.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ooh, ooh! Impressions! Is the gameplay similar to the first?

Hard to say, I just started so my battery runs down pretty fast and I haven't found anywhere I can recharge aside from my chibi-house yet. The voltorb converts happy points into watts to recharge you. I should have the item shop open soon though, we'll see what happens then.

The dancing thing is both important and hard to do. Or maybe I just don't have the hang of it yet. Also, you can combo growing flowers. I'm guessing a combo gives you more happy points than usual.

edit: Looks like you buy things with watts this time around.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tah...T

T!

tcookieki2.jpg

This thing looks pretty weird. Is this a port of a console game? Sounds familiar, the other one also had a teeny robot with an electric plug.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Not a port, a sequel.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I'm almost two weeks in in game time so I'm ready to post some impressions. Of course, I'm only about two weeks in so I may have to recant some of this later.

I've tried not to spoil anything (I'm not sure I know anything to spoil yet) but just in case anyone wants to go into this completely fresh...
    This is definitely a new game. I was going to try to categorize all these bullet points but some just wouldn't fit together.

The focus seems to have shifted from exploration to garden management. There either are no areas to unlock or the game is huge beyond belief. The park itself is quite large and then there's a small "town" section. I find this disappointing since I really liked the exploration aspect of the first game, but then I've never liked world-building games so the detailed landscaping simulation doesn't appeal to me as much as it may to others.

Story-wise, toys are in and humans are out. There are people in this game, but you never see their faces. That may change later on, but they've had plenty of chances to show me someone's face but refrained from doing so so far. You don't even get to see your creator's face in the opening cut scene. There are lots of toys though, who you begin meeting almost right away.

Upgrades are parceled out based on the number of flowers in your park. Happy points are no longer simply accumulated, but are instead converted to electricity to power you. The watts are also used to buy things at the store.

There's also more of a feeling of tension in this game since the enemies can appear in places where you're not and they can do actual damage to your park, so you can't just ignore enemies like you could in the last one.

My main complaint about this game is that it should have been on a console. This is not, for me anyway, the kind of game you want to play in short bursts. It also would have benefited from a joystick and better camera control. And better graphics. I just can't get over how pretty the original was.

The story doesn't look like it's going to be as deep or complex as the first game, but that one would be hard to top.

Oh. Oh man. I almost forgot. Or maybe I was trying to block it out. It looks like there aren't any costumes. Yeah. I was crushed.

Summary: Most of the things I don't like about this game are matters of taste. It appears to be as well executed as the first one so far, so if you thought the first game was very good chances are you'll think this one is very good. If you thought the first game was the second coming you might be a tad disappointed with this.

And when I say "things I don't like" I mean "things that make it slightly less than perfect."

Executive Summary: Game good!

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I just got ot yesterday as a gift and it just ridiculously fun. Just as great so far as the first yet still mixed up enough that it feels new. I miss Telly and hate that damn boombox but otherwise FUN GET and what not.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't played it yet (can't bring myself to brave the massive lineups of my local Walmart yet), but the first one was one of my favourite games of last gen.

The lack of Telly pleases me, but the possiblity of no costumes is somewhat of a downer. Oh well. This was an guaranteed buy for me anyway. I can wait until Zelda is finished, though.

I really don't understand the Walmart exclusivity. 1up has posted a piece about how Nintendo is not promoting that fact anywhere, so a lot of people are left wondering why they can't find it anywhere. It does seem weird to basically make it harder for people to buy a game, but whatever. It's not like a Walmart is hard to find, for those who know that's where it is.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited October 2007
    On the lack of Telly: It's not that he's gone, he's just replaced. There's still a "Telly" named Chet. Telly was just neater. They're both annoying, Chet even more so, he seems to go on forever when you want to save the game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is really coming out at a terrible time. In the summer I would have bought this day one, but now I'm way too strapped to even glance at this until after the holidays. :( Will give me time to finish the original, though, I guess.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)