As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New iMac. Work of Art or evidence in favour of Intelligent Design?

Reaper SmithReaper Smith __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm not traditionally a Mac fan, but the designs for the new iMacs are a thing of beauty.

index_hero20070807.png

But when you get down to it, Apple's design paradigms keep following the same trends. A block with stuff in it. How much stuff can we cram into the smallest space possible? Evidence of Moore's Law in action, but only made possible by expanding our knowledge of how the Universe has already been designed on a subatomic scale in leaps and bounds. But try to explain this to someone from even only 5 decades ago and you're talking about magic.

Serious. Compare this shit to ENIAC.

785px-Eniac.jpg

We've come so far in so short a time that to even imagine what the next 50 years of human history will bring. Once we begin to apply what we've learned from our sojourn into the subatomic to the macroscopic world on a broader basis, any attempt at imagining the results almost beggars belief. A bright future indeed.

My question to Apple at this point would be, when does the multi-touch screen model come out? One would think that would be kind of obvious in the wake of their iTouch Everything device roll-out.

My question to D'n'D...

What new technologies do you think will revolutionize our world the way the computer already has?

Reaper Smith on

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Biotechnology is the next revolution. Genetics advancements and biological advancements along with a meshing of the scientific disciplines will usher in a new realm of medicine and applied science, if capitalism doesn't abuse it and create a horrible world with genetically modified super babies for the rich; also companies owning information to a specific gene is scary. Hopefully it will not be allowed.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Them things are a pain in the ass to upgrade.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure that the form-factor of PCs is rally well-suited to touch-screens. I wouldn't put it past Apple to really be the leaders in functional tablet technology though. I can't think of any other company that could really do it well.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Biotechnology is the next revolution. Genetics advancements and biological advancements along with a meshing of the scientific disciplines will usher in a new realm of medicine and applied science, if capitalism doesn't abuse it and create a horrible world with genetically modified super babies for the rich; also companies owning information to a specific gene is scary. Hopefully it will not be allowed.

Which brings up questions of morality and intellectual property rights.

What would the potential drawbacks of your 'next big thing'?

And while an invention may be yours for the moment, but it truly belongs to the future of humanity. How long before the 'Information Age' becomes the 'Free Information Age'?

Or are we seeing the beginnings of this movement in the fringe world of torrents and fair use?

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

And while an invention may be yours for the moment, but it truly belongs to the future of humanity. How long before the 'Information Age' becomes the 'Free Information Age'?

Or are we seeing the beginnings of this movement in the fringe world of torrents and fair use?
    I can't really justify stealing songs from the internet, but then I go to FYE and look for Architecture in Helsinki albums and each one is 17 dollars. I still won't steal, but goddamn I see why people do.

• Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyone who says Biotech and genetic tech is the future is wrong.

The future revolution will come with GeoClimate Control, and the abilities to change any climate anywhere.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I can't really justify stealing songs from the internet, but then I go to FYE and look for Architecture in Helsinki albums and each one is 17 dollars. I still won't steal, but goddamn I see why people do.

Yeah, but you're looking at biotechnology. I'd imagine someone would steal the cure for cancer and make copies of it without batting an eye. No real moral dilemma there.

@Irond - Even a light pen. It just seems like its lacking that little bit of 'zing' they've thrown into all their product releases lately.

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You mad scientist you.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All the hassle of having something that slim, and no just picking it up and walking about with it.

Fucking stupid.

An accurate touch screen and a battery, the stand should just be a docking station. That would be rad, this is just another shitty computer than doesn't really give you anything back for the high price other than looks. Fuck it.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, but you're looking at biotechnology. I'd imagine someone would steal the cure for cancer and make copies of it without batting an eye. No real moral dilemma there.

@Irond - Even a light pen. It just seems like its lacking that little bit of 'zing' they've thrown into all their product releases lately.
    I didn't know you were applying piracy to biotech. Whoops. Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one would stand for it. So all in all, the future looks good in many ways.

• Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unless you plan to take the computer with you as you travel, I don't see why they have to be so small. I mean, everything else being equal, smaller is preferable, but in practice smaller computers are trickier to upgrade and costlier. Thus while I may not be able to spare the $300 extra to afford a miniturized version of my current computer, I can spare the two cubic feet that my computer currently resides in. If I move into a shoebox, maybe I'll reconsider :|

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd want a multi-touch book, where both pages are touch screens.

Like so:

themultibookit4.png

Folds open flat into one single flexible, bendable screen.

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think that the internet has yet to be fully realized.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah. I mean, at this point it's like, something you can put things on, like a truck.

Who knows what it might become in 10 years?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Next Imac

superthinimacqj2.png

Gorgeeen on

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did you do something to the image and I missed it, or is it exactly the same as the one in the OP?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Did you do something to the image and I missed it, or is it exactly the same as the one in the OP?

Haha, holy hell.

Gorgeeen on

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I think this counts as an enormous win for Apple. Miniaturisation is now unnecessary. No one will notice if the technology improves further.

Linden on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not traditionally a Mac fan, but the designs for the new iMacs are a thing of beauty.

I know I'm probably very much alone on this, but I'm very disappointed that they dropped the multiple colors thing.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Linden wrote: »

I think this counts as an enormous win for Apple. Miniaturisation is now unnecessary. No one will notice if the technology improves further.
    No, that just means I'm unobservant about something that doesn't particularly do anything. Now, if it were, like a previous poster describing, completely portable, then we're talking. But no, a further thinning of a half inch, while still requiring it to be static is nothing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

Yeah. I mean, at this point it's like, something you can put things on, like a truck.

Who knows what it might become in 10 years?

I think the advancement of information technology is pretty much the driving force (or at the least, an extremely necessary condition) for pretty much every other human revolution.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What new technologies do you think will revolutionize our world the way the computer already has?

Fully recyclable products with deconstruction factored into the initial design and/or biodegradeable components for a reduced ecological imprint being ubiquitous rather than rare.

Other than that, the only real advances that will lead to incredible new things are basically electical related. Either somehow being able to transfer power between devices without wires or electrocution, nigh infinite advancement in solar cell capability so that getting a little bit of light keeps your crap running for days, and/or increased battery storage in a reduced size so that it might as well not be considered battery powered given the life of it with new aesthetic obsolesence. I mean we're already barely scratching the surface of capability for most consumer electronics once they all get wifi, the only issue after that is useful software and being able to constantly use it.

moniker on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I hate iMacs.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Also, the title of this thread seems unrelated to the subject.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Naaa... Men as Gods.

We're the Intelligent Designers.

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Naaa... Men as Gods.

If it was intelligently designed it wouldn't suck.

_J_ on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Naaa... Men as Gods.

Original sin, dude. Read a book.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Why not? The best medical treatment has always been available to those who can most afford it. The scientific research itself has nothing to do with it the socio-political or economic implications. It'll happen whether capitalism 'abuses' it or not. And it will be glorious. Think about it.

Genetic 'filtering' will root out most vulnerability to disease and potential complications later in life, man-machine interface will give us (among a myriad of other enhancements) the ability to record images we see or create at the speed of thought... it'll be a cyberpunk extravaganza.

And we won't look creepy, deformed or hideously Borg-like. These enhancements will be ergonomically fitted and become as common and streamlined as mp3 players and cell phones. We'll have eyes that glow and hair that alters its style at our command. We'll be able to access any media instantaneously.

Eons from now, political debates will revolve around whether we should collapse this or that star system to save a particular civilization in another because of its propensity for cross-species hybridization which would further our evolutionary development by augmenting our attunement to the fabric of space-time.

In essence, we'll become gods among gods.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

Naaa... Men as Gods.

Original sin, dude. Read a book.

That's not how original sin worked.

_J_ on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, so suddenly you're the expert.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It has a sleek look but they have to do something about that god damn mouse.

Zek on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apple are going to stay the hell away from tablet PC technology, because there's plenty of market evidence it can't really be done properly yet (owned a tablet PC, enjoyed it, too many sacrifices for the price in the end).

Also, people need to stop talking about cures for cancer. We have lots of cures for various cancers. Cancer is not one disease that will one day be solved. Hell, even HIV has dozens of strains.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love my Macbook Pro, but iMacs aren't that cool. I mean it's basically an oversized laptop on a stand. Completely unappealing.

The Pro is another beast entirely, because it's actually supposed to be a laptop, and also looks like a serious piece of technology, as opposed to a glorified toy.

Azio on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The iMac, like most modern Apple designs, is a fricking novelty. Like getting ice cream in the shape of Mickey Mouse or something.

And, frankly, at a certain point, small size becomes a huge liability. Those Macs that came out awhile ago that were about the size of a lunch box are pretty much as small as you can get before you start limiting the crap out of the machine. Anything smaller than that is pretty much a waste that will horribly limit the hardware you can use with it. The only real benefit with normal use is that it's easier to steal.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have totally unreasonable expectations about what the new 700mhz(I think that's the one) open hardware/software stuff that will eventually be coming out.

Pretty much anything short of augmented reality is going to be a disappointment for me. Robust multi mode connectivity. Essentially always on connections with hopefully reasonable charges for bandwidth. Very good GPS, and also triangulating off cell towers. An accurate compass built in.

Nothing really extraordinary when it comes to technology. It all pretty much exists, but folks could come up with a lot of creative uses, once it starts making it's way into widely available and modifiable hardware.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The iMac, like most modern Apple designs, is a fricking novelty. Like getting ice cream in the shape of Mickey Mouse or something.

I love those Mickey Mouse ice cream bars! Haven't had one in years.

Oh, and iMacs are way overrated.

DredZed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The difference between Mac and Non mac users, see if you can see who is who

"Did you se that new Imac?"
    "yeah it looks great"

"Did you see that new Imac?"
    "It seems a little much for those specs"

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You have to admit, Apple has been pushing the envelope for small form factor designs lately.

The iPhone, the Touch iPod, the new (touchless) iMac.

I don't personally own a single mac product. I enjoy being able to meddle too much with things in the background. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work they're doing. They're setting standards that take us away from the big grey box paradigm.

artifacts.gif

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You have to admit, Apple has been pushing the envelope for small form factor designs lately.

I don't personally own a single mac product. I enjoy being able to meddle too much with things in the background. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work they're doing. They're setting standards that take us away from the big grey box paradigm.

And into the thin, silver box paradigm.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    moniker wrote: »

And into the thin, silver box paradigm.

Not quite.

I should have said big grey boxes. Monitor + tower.

The thin silver box paradigm is pretty stylin', even if it isn't upgradable.

Reaper Smith on