As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting my own place (in Winnipeg)

Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
It's about time for me to move out. Not right now, but fairly soon. I'm thinking December. It's never too early to start planning though.

I don't really know too much about getting an apartment or whatever, and that's where you guys hopefully can advise. I lived alone in rez for one semester while I studied overseas, but that's the only experience I have with independent living. Presumably renting an apartment is quite different.

It's worth noting that I don't plan on staying in the city for too long. If all goes well I'll be going elsewhere to study next September. And I probably won't have to pay for much of that.

Those of you not from Winnipeg might as well stop reading here. I'm interested in any advice you folks can offer when it comes to renting. If you are from Winnipeg and know the city reasonably well (and have time on your hands) read on and I can provide some details that may let you give more specific advice.

My two biggest concerns are probably cost and location. I'm working almost full time but I don't pull in more than $1500 a month, maximum. I have expenses too, the biggest of which is my 2004 Camry. Up until now I've been almost overzealous in terms of saving, so I have a healthy bank account, but I don't want to be spending more in a month than I bring in. (And, when I talk about not spending more, I don't mean on rent alone; I want to be able to eat and maybe even go out every now and then.) If this means I need to find a roommate or find some incredibly tiny space to live, that's fine.

In terms of location, I have a bunch of things I need to balance. My immediate family lives close to Taylor (the street and the tennis club) in River Heights. I have a girlfriend in Elmwood. I work near the Tuxedo Village mall. I also have a grandmother living in a condo on Wellington Crescent near River and she has an underground parking spot the she doesn't use. All of this has led me to the conclusion that some place around Corydon or Osborne would be good.

So my questions to you, Winnipeggers, are these: is it possible to find relatively affordable housing in the area I've set on? Is that area a good area to be set on in the first place? If not, what are some good places to look for apartments? Am I crazy for wanting to move in the middle of winter? And what else should I know about looking for a place here?

tl;dr - I want to move out. Please tell me what I need to know.

Grid System on

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Around Corydon/Osborne is a really hot area for renting due to its proximity to Corydon/Osborne. The only places you might get cheap would be really shitty places where you're paying entirely for the location. The free parking spot isn't really that big of a deal, considering how cheap parking in Winnipeg is. Unless you choose a place downtown or, god forbid, the North End, I really think parking will be a non-issue. Which leads me to my next point...

Have you taken a good look at St. Boniface? It's a really great neighbourhood in terms of crime - it's got the feel of a small town, but you're a 5 minute trip from downtown and within walking distance of most of Elmwood. Prices can get a bit higher, but most of the apartments in the area will be neat, old homes that were converted into multiple dwelling residences. One thing to consider in that area is the mushroom farm, found just behind the Central Grain elevator on Archibald (which I was actually out photographing today). Being a mushroom farm, it smells horrid, and when the wind is right the houses within a couple kilometers of the place get a most unpleasant smelling wind. We refer to it as the 'smell of home,' but this is only in a joking manner and only while quickly fleeing the area - it's really not a nice odour.

As for your idea of moving in December: You're crazy. Not just crazy, downright sadistic. Choosing to move out during the coldest month of the year means not only do you freeze your ass off while hauling all your stuff out, but also means you'll need to increase your alcohol budget exponentially in order to get your friends to agree to help and provide their trucks. The only upside is that December is usually the slowest month for real estate, so you may find slightly better deals...but this means you have to move in December.

Edit: Wait, are you the fellow dating my sister?

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was wondering when that penny would drop. :P

St. B is pretty attractive, except for the fact that it means a 20 minute drive (at least) to and from work instead of my current five. I guess in the grand scheme of things that's not too big of a deal, and I could look for a different job.

As far as the parking goes, the main attraction my grandmother's spot has for me is that it's in a heated underground lot. I'd gladly walk ten minutes (or more) if it means not having to scrape ice and snow off my windshield and being able to get into a warm car.

Grid System on