As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cid at any level is frightening.

I made Cid have Calc as a secondary ability to make him even more retarded.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Besides coming with some nice gear, namely his sword, he has a pretty high PA, allowing him to do so much damage with his sword skills.

He's fun to use, no doubt, but now that we have access to dark knight abilities, I just throw a chaos blade or something on Agrias and she's got two/three sets of abilities that Cid has plus all the time since chapter 2 you had to work on her other abilities, so she already has move +3 and whatever the blade grasp ability is called now etc.

Ardor on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man my mage is ballin'.

Bladegrasp + a great shield + mage cloak = unkillable mage of awesome.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    See, I can't stand giving out accessory space to anything but movement items or, when teleport is available, gauntlets and mage gauntlets. (Well, and perfumes of course) Everything tells me that cloaks are damn useful items but I just always seem to default to the most useful offensive items rather than defensive.

Cilla Black on
    edited November 2007
    Mage cloak is +MAG and Evade.

What the fuck more do you want on a mage?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah but isn't it just +1? Why have +1 when I can have +2? This is the kind of quasi-faulty logic I just can't shake for this game. I'm all rawr rawr offense offense offense.

Cilla Black on
    edited November 2007
    Because not having your mage die from an archer a mile away is more important than +30 damage.

Damage formula:

-The formula for damage-causing magic attacks is:
    [Q * MA * (CFa/100) * (TFa/100)]
    with Q being the numerical value of the spell used internally in
    the game. Now, you can tell from this that with higher Faith, the more damage you will cause/take. Let's do an example: say the caster have 75 Faith and 10 MA, and the target has 60 Faith. If you wanted to cast the spell, "Fire 2" (Q Value 18), then just enter the variables into the equation:
    [18 * 10 * (75/100) * (60/100)], or 81 damage.
    This is assuming the target has neutral astrological affinity and no damage multipliers for the spell.
    Let's say you have a MA of 11.
    [18 * 11 * (75/100) * (60/100)], or 89.1(89) damage.
    Let's take Holy as an extreme example, since the difference in Q is much larger.
    [80 * 10 * (75/100) * (60/100)], or 225 damage vs.
    [80 * 11 * (75/100) * (60/100)], or 247.5(248) damage.

Yeah, you have to take into account MagicBoost or Defense, Strengthen and other variables, but it's not HUGE of a difference. It depends more on compatibility and faith variables more than anything.

TL;DR: Survivability of your mage >>>>>>>>>>> damage output, since it should be very high anyway.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I just received the FFT Trading Arts figures from Square. Gotta say I'm blown away with the detail and quality of the figures. Does anyone know if Square plans on releasing more figures, such as Wiegraf, Argath, Generics, etc?

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After recruiting
    that Boco Chocobo thing
    I've got a million of them crowding up my party now. Is there any real benefit to keeping them around or can I purge them?

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
    edited November 2007
    Purge them.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man playing thisgame remindned me why i loved the original. it;s alwys "oe mre battle, 200 more JP for blde grasp then i'm done"

BUT IM NOT.

The real question is after getting the Tynar Rouge do i still need Alicia and Lavian? They are of no use to me.

PingPong on
    edited November 2007
    Nope. You don't.

I usually level them up then kill them off to give their skills to Cloud/Balthier/whoever.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The process AKA "The Quickening".

Wearingglasses on
    edited November 2007
    Can you still get infinite turns in this game?

That was always interesting.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited November 2007
    Purge them.

What's the purpose of them? I'd like to hold on to the original one since he was sort of a "story" recruit.

SisterRay on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So far the only thing that has annoyed me in this game is if I send out some guys on a mission from a tavern. I have to go back to that tavern to get them back. I wish it was a more global system of missions so I wouldn't have to wander all over and remember where I sent them from.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    IIRC, you can check them in Chronicles: Feats: Present. It says the City of the Errand, days left to complete, and who's doing it.

Wearingglasses on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm... I have Mustadio, but I've not gotten any of the secret characters yet outside the two new ones. I'm growing a bit concerned now that I'm a few levels short of 99 and Orbonne awaits.

Slagmire on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Hmmm... I have Mustadio, but I've not gotten any of the secret characters yet outside the two new ones. I'm growing a bit concerned now that I'm a few levels short of 99 and Orbonne awaits.
    Getting Beowulf, Reis, transformed Reis, Cloud and Byblos is ridiculous. You can start their sidequests as soon as Act 4 opens, but I don't know how anybody could be expected to figure this out without a guide.

You can still get them all, but Cloud starts at level 1, so you'll have to pump him up manually.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Considering how lagged FFT is on the PSP, Vagrant Story would be almost unplayable.

According to people using whatever, supposedly official, arcane methods the PS has for playing PS1 games, the original version of FFT runs better on PSP than it did on PS1; the isolated bits of slowdown during the most intense FX (like Bahamut) actually no longer slow the game down and everything else is normal. FFT: WotL was just ported incompetantly, despite the enhancements.

MONSTER HUNTER runs on PSP, and that's a graphically-rich, fully 3d PS2 game. PSP can obviously handle anything thrown at it, it's just a matter of who writes the port and whether they do quality work or not.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited November 2007
    Yeah the people doing the code were just fucking lazy.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't know if this has been mentioned, but this game is going for £12.99 on Play.com. :)

Lightning Shield! on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So to keep myself from going insane trying to remember all the jobs (something I had issues with when I played FFTA), I made this for my Logitech PSP case. It's not super pretty but it works.

FFT-Front.jpg
    FFT-Back.jpg

Linky (Right-Click, Save As)

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IVALICE

I've always dreamed of living in a country called Mime though. It'd be like Paris, only without the French.

sonictk on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IVALICE

I've always dreamed of living in a country called Mime though. It'd be like Paris, only without the French.

LOL I just needed a background... I didn't even think of arranging it to look like cities.

Not a bad idea, but I am too lazy to change it now.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited November 2007
    So, gentlemen, I am almost through with my current playthrough. Any new team ideas?
    I was thinking of an "All-Peasant" team (Squires, Monks, Thieves, Geomancers, Bard/Dancer, Priests) this time.

Wearingglasses on
    edited November 2007
    So, gentlemen, I am almost through with my current playthrough. Any new team ideas?
    I was thinking of an "All-Peasant" team (Squires, Monks, Thieves, Geomancers, Bard/Dancer, Priests) this time.

You're going to end up with a team of four monks and a priest.

On the other hand, dancers/bards are super-powerful when combined with mimes. Picture this: two mimes, two dancers, one healer (priest / bard). Dancer1 performs wiznaibus, which gets mimed twice. This goes from 2 or so castings per turn to 6. At 30 damage each, that's 180 damage per turn. Dancer2 can do either nameless dance or slow dance. It doesn't really matter, because Dancer1's wiznaibus should take care of the rest anyway.

The priest / bard should take the MP song if you have MP Switch on. Since it casts 6 times per turn, your enemies would have to hit you with a double-sword attack which depletes your MP in one hit and your HP in the next hit.

templewulf on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    templewulf wrote: »

You're going to end up with a team of four monks and a priest.

On the other hand, dancers/bards are super-powerful when combined with mimes. Picture this: two mimes, two dancers, one healer (priest / bard). Dancer1 performs wiznaibus, which gets mimed twice. This goes from 2 or so castings per turn to 6. At 30 damage each, that's 180 damage per turn. Dancer2 can do either nameless dance or slow dance. It doesn't really matter, because Dancer1's wiznaibus should take care of the rest anyway.

The priest / bard should take the MP song if you have MP Switch on. Since it casts 6 times per turn, your enemies would have to hit you with a double-sword attack which depletes your MP in one hit and your HP in the next hit.

Even more powerful: Black Mage w/Arithmeticks and Magic Attack Up, One Dancer, One Singer, Two Mimes. Your turns might take forever, but it is damn fun locking down the opponent with the constant multi-square effects.

Slagmire on
    edited November 2007

I've always found it fun to try single classing people. If one character is going to be a squire for example, don't give them any abilities unless it is squire-based. So they get counter tackle, jp boost or monster skill and move +1 along with squire abilities.

Ardor on
    edited November 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

I've always found it fun to try single classing people. If one character is going to be a squire for example, don't give them any abilities unless it is squire-based. So they get counter tackle, jp boost or monster skill and move +1 along with squire abilities.
    I usually use special characters, but I have rules for certain abilities. For instance, no two sword unless they're a thief or ninja. No blade grasp on anyone that carries a weapon (they don't have any free hands to grab with!) etc.

templewulf on
    edited November 2007
    templewulf wrote: »

I usually use special characters, but I have rules for certain abilities. For instance, no two sword unless they're a thief or ninja. No blade grasp on anyone that carries a weapon (they don't have any free hands to grab with!) etc.

A team I found amusing, but only for maybe a chapter or so, was a team of mystics and mediators or some combination. You pretty much work with status problems and they all have skills that can be used on pretty much anyone. I guess I always had fun reducing enemies to walking around as chickens, zombies, statues or otherwise.

Ardor on
    edited November 2007
    A team I found amusing, but only for maybe a chapter or so, was a team of mystics and mediators or some combination. You pretty much work with status problems and they all have skills that can be used on pretty much anyone. I guess I always had fun reducing enemies to walking around as chickens, zombies, statues or otherwise.
    That sounds like a good challenge when we're all used to muscling our way through enemies with big-numbers characters like Orlandu and Calculators. I'm really enjoying Beowulf now that I know increasing Faith increases the accuracy of his Magic Sword.

templewulf on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, like, If Balthier has Dual Wield and uses barrage, does he Get 8 goddamn attacks?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited November 2007
    The consensus there is on the negative.

Wearingglasses on
    edited November 2007
    Any tips on beating Cuchulainn? I've tried going after him with two Monks, two Chemists and a Knight but haven't even gotten close before he's mopped me up with status effects.

I read that "defense rings" help, but I don't have any....my party is all at around level 22.

SisterRay on
    edited November 2007
    SisterRay wrote: »
    Any tips on beating Cuchulainn? I've tried going after him with two Monks, two Chemists and a Knight but haven't even gotten close before he's mopped me up with status effects.

I read that "defense rings" help, but I don't have any....my party is all at around level 22.
    He's actually pretty slow, so any significantly fast class should help. At that point, Ramza had ninja unlocked, so I made (iirc) 1 ninja and three archers, plus one mage. The ninja ran up on him and smacked him twice. He hit the archers with statuses, but the one archer with a defense ring got a volley off. The ninja was the most dangerous to him, but he couldn't help using multi-square attacks on my other units clustered together.

templewulf on
    edited November 2007
    SisterRay wrote: »

The sleep attack is the one that probably gets you. I might suggest bringing someone with an AE attack of some sort whether that be a geomancer or black mage to wake people up.

Do you think you could do 400-500 damage if all of your characters got hit with doom? I think he's got a decently high faith value due to one of his bio spells he can use, so you can try blasting him with magic.

Otherwise, if you have a priest, do you have re-raise? I'm not sure you'd have anything to prevent KO at this point. Another thing that may help, as it is a tactic I've used on tough bosses in any games, would be to debuff him somehow. Make some faster characters and give them the ability to break speed or something.

Otherwise, do you have mystics? Their drain life is based upon the max hps of the creature and deals 25% of that. That can help you.

Ardor on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone have tips on dealing with fighting thieves that use steal heart a lot?

I just finished the Chapter 2 battle where
    you give the fake auracite to the guy and find out about the cardinal

The battle has like..2 thieves, 2 archers and 2 summoners to fight. I beat it in one shot but had a hell of a time doing it.

The archers would do their range damage to me, the thieves kept charming my white mage, and the summoners would raise their dead/deal damage/group heal

they were also using my WM to raise their dead until she ran out of mana. Fuck was I ever happy to beat that battle. It also doesn't help that Mustadio at that point has like.. 58hp when you get him, and one of the thieves stole my armour from ramza. It felt good to finally get close and hit some summoners for 80HP of dmg with ramza :P

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited November 2007
    Weretaco wrote: »
    Anyone have tips on dealing with fighting thieves that use steal heart a lot?

I just finished the Chapter 2 battle where
    you give the fake auracite to the guy and find out about the cardinal

The battle has like..2 thieves, 2 archers and 2 summoners to fight. I beat it in one shot but had a hell of a time doing it.

The archers would do their range damage to me, the thieves kept charming my white mage, and the summoners would raise their dead/deal damage/group heal

they were also using my WM to raise their dead until she ran out of mana. Fuck was I ever happy to beat that battle. It also doesn't help that Mustadio at that point has like.. 58hp when you get him, and one of the thieves stole my armour from ramza. It felt good to finally get close and hit some summoners for 80HP of dmg with ramza :P

The only method of dealing with that would be to equip items that prevent charm/invite or doing something to the potential infractors first, like charming them or killing them etc. The other method involves not taking the opposite gender into battle when faced with a bunch of thieves. So if they are all male, don't take female characters into battle.

Ardor on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I cannot pass this level with that huge locked Gate in chapter 2.

The troops outside keep kicking my ass hardcore.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]