As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In desperate need of help.

plantersplanters Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm writing a paper comparing Windows, OSX, and Linux. I'm trying to prove that Windows is better (or at this point I really don't care I just want to finish it), I have these reasons supporting Windows
1. more games available
2. more applications available
3. user friendly
4. more widely used.

Now this is all easy and everything but I have to have 2 pieces of proof (stats or anything of the sort), from a reliable source, I'm already thinking of using PC magazine but I need other sources, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tl;dr
Need sources proving Windows is better than OSX and Linux.

planters on

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Better is VERY subjective.

1 and 2 should be easy to find sources on.

3 is subjective, and will find plenty of people that feel OSX or various flavors of *nix Shells are better.

4 might have some sketchy data depending on what stats you are talking about (desktop, servers, etc).

You can probably source any major retailer as a sampling of current/past games and applications available for all of them.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It can be subjective, as long as I have SOMETHING to back it up, I'm trying to find any kind of numbers for the applications or games

planters on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    You are going about this the wrong way. If you want to prove windows is better what you are going to have to talk about is how superior it is at getting control of the market and becoming ubiquitous on many computers around the world.

Because as an OS? It's probably not better. It's very bloated and has a lot of overhead. More games? I'll wipe my ass with your games. And on top of that, other OS's have been learning to virtualize windows which means in the future you will be able to run windows applications on any operating system by using only the libraries gutted from windows and avoiding all the other shit.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why not try to focus PC/Windows success to how they have catered to the family homes for so long that they are next to blender and washer machines when forming a family. Unlike Apple in the past has been seen for professionals but thats slowly changing, but its a start.
    Make what your are researching bend to what you want.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    planters wrote: »
    I'm writing a paper comparing Windows, OSX, and Linux. I'm trying to prove that Windows is better (or at this point I really don't care I just want to finish it), I have these reasons supporting Windows
    1. more games available
    3. user friendly
    4. more widely used.

Now this is all easy and everything but I have to have 2 pieces of proof (stats or anything of the sort), from a reliable source, I'm already thinking of using PC magazine but I need other sources, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tl;dr

User friendliness is going to be very subjective. There are a lot of articles about Linux's issues in that department from people that do work with multiple OS's, but it's not something you can objectively quantify due to how much variation there can be even in the same OS.

For market penetration, you can cite statistics from sources that deal with the business world since analyst groups/firms love surveying businesses about their practices. I'd recommend poking around at www.cio.com and find their articles on OS use in the workplace.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1. more games available
    3. user friendly
    4. more widely used.

Tl;dr

You are going about this the wrong way. As most people have pointed out by now, "better" is contextual. You need to create a smaller window, like "better" for what exactly?

Also, you are going to find points 2 and 3 hard to prove.

"applications" is a broad term and you should be a aware of the fact that there are gajillions of applications out there that are only for Linux or only for Mac. If by "more applications that you can buy at Target"
    then yes, you would be right.

As far as point 3, OSX trounces Windows in many regards to general "user friendly" features, but again, it depends on your target. Different users have different opinions on what is user friendly.

Overall your argument is way to broad and couldn't be supported even if you tried. You need to at least narrow it down to a target user and then, even then, it's difficult to convincingly prove at an academic level.

You are doing the operating system equivalent of which brand of peanut butter is "better".

Jasconius on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You have to go by metrics, but that doesn't really hold any water.

There are more Windows applications than Mac ones. They aren't any better (and I believe third-party stuff on Mac OS X is an order of magnitude better than on Windows), but there is a figure for you. You could come up with a very rubbish argument about "choice".

And yeah, as was said, ubiquity.

Your "proofs" are on metrics of volumes alone, so you need to go looking for statistics. As soon as you're looking for subjective opinions, you are stuffed.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well I picked this assignment because I didn't want to write about controversial topics like gay marriage and what not. The whole thing can be subjective and broad, I just need a bit of stats or something to prove it, because each OS has its pros and cons and the subjective stuff can be proven or backed up by costumer reviews.
    And I want to talk strictly about what each OS is good at not the company as a whole.

planters on
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why don't you compare specific ways of doing some task on each OS to compare user friendlyness? Also, I can see why people say Macs are user friendly, but I firmly contest anyone who thinks ANY version of linux/unix are at all user friendly is completely, utterly, irrevocably insane.

man what
    -a never use this flag, it will destroy your computer
    -A always use this or your computer will be destroyed
    -b this is bugged, don't use it
    -l deletes everything on your hard drive
    -I prints output to shell
    -j use settings in default config file [of course, it's not specified where this is]

If you don't believe me, fire up linux and they type man followed by almost any command. Then, show it to someone who uses Windows / Macs only and ask them if they can figure it out.

Insane, I tell you.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    cfgauss wrote: »
    user friendly is completely, utterly, irrevocably insane.

Ah, but "user-friendly" is also context-specific. To power users, the command-line is completely user-friendly, they have a lot of power there, can run programs with unlimited options (you'll eventually run out of GUI buttons...).

To them, a GUI gets in the way of what they're trying to accomplish, so is very un-user-friendly.

Do you see why this is a hard topic yet?
    planters wrote:
    Well I picked this assignment because I didn't want to write about controversial topics like gay marriage and what not. The whole thing can be subjective and broad, I just need a bit of stats or something to prove it, because each OS has its pros and cons and the subjective stuff can be proven or backed up by costumer reviews.

What you need to understand is that there is no topic that is not controversial. Chocolate Cake vs Chocolate Donut. US vs Iraq. Windows vs OS X. Everything has controversy, it's just that some topic has more than others, and some topics are more pointless than others.

There is no proof of anything, except in mathematics.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

Ah, but "user-friendly" is also context-specific. To power users, the command-line is completely user-friendly, they have a lot of power there, can run programs with unlimited options (you'll eventually run out of GUI buttons...).

To them, a GUI gets in the way of what they're trying to accomplish, so is very un-user-friendly.

By that logic, we should all use machine code for everything, because it's more flexible and powerful, and thus more user friendly.
    What you need to understand is that there is no topic that is not controversial. Chocolate Cake vs Chocolate Donut. US vs Iraq. Windows vs OS X. Everything has controversy, it's just that some topic has more than others, and some topics are more pointless than others.

Chocolate cake clearly wins that entire chain of vs.es.
    There is no proof of anything, except in mathematics.

Math is just logic, and you can explain everything with logic. Axioms +definitions => theorems. It's simple.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

By that logic, we should all use machine code for everything, because it's more flexible and powerful, and thus more user friendly.

That entirely not what I said, unless there is someone in the world who thinks entirely in machine-code. I am saying that there are a group of humans who use computers ("users") to whom the command-line allows them to find and express their intentions in a way that is faster/more intuitive to them than the GUI.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why don't you compare specific ways of doing some task on each OS to compare user friendlyness? Also, I can see why people say Macs are user friendly, but I firmly contest anyone who thinks ANY version of linux/unix are at all user friendly is completely, utterly, irrevocably insane.

man what
    -a never use this flag, it will destroy your computer
    -A always use this or your computer will be destroyed
    -b this is bugged, don't use it
    -l deletes everything on your hard drive
    -I prints output to shell
    -j use settings in default config file [of course, it's not specified where this is]

If you don't believe me, fire up linux and they type man followed by almost any command. Then, show it to someone who uses Windows / Macs only and ask them if they can figure it out.

Insane, I tell you.

Hehe: http://xkcd.com/293/

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That entirely not what I said, unless there is someone in the world who thinks entirely in machine-code. I am saying that there are a group of humans who use computers ("users") to whom the command-line allows them to find and express their intentions in a way that is faster/more intuitive to them than the GUI.

And most users think in terms of command lines and >s and |s and stringing horrible strings of command line commands together? No, they don't. And there are plenty of people who are very comfortable with machine code. And can, in fact, do things with it that the average command line user couldn't even understand.

But most users don't understand machine code any more than they do command lines. And, despite what your arrogant ass may think, most people define what "user friendly" means, not a very small subset of users.

cfgauss on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    My infraction-button is user friendly, so let's stop arguing about stupid and stick to things that are somehow quantifiable or at least won't make the intended audience laugh in planters' face.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    These are my basic views of the whole Windows vs Macs vs Linux on the different topics when it comes to the different OS's.

User Friendlyness
    These are from personal experience, Macs are very easy to use and great to start out on. They're nice for basic things but you can't do a whole lot with them (this is of course subjective to what I use computers for). Windows again is easy, but at times can be a real big pain in the ass. You can do pretty much everything that most average users would ever want to do on a computer. Linux is fairly difficult. Things aren't as easy to accomplish as on the other two, but once you can, you can do anything.

So basically:
    Linux - Good for people who really know what the hell they're doing with computers
    Windows - Good for people who have some experience with computers
    Mac - Good for new users

What they're good for

Linux: Work/business stuff
    Windows: Gaming
    Macs: Artsy stuff

Cost

Linux: Just the hardware, whoo!
    Windows: The 'middle' option
    Macs: Expensive

This of course has changed as of late, as Apple has been getting more and more competitive with prices, getting to be on par, and in some cases even cheaper than Macs.

From a business perspective

Linux: All software is free and highly customizable. Problem is that when you have issues there really is no one to blame. You're pretty much limited to asking a community or hiring someone who knows more to fix the issues. And while it is free, if you want customized modules you will have to pay programmers for the code.
    Windows: Pricey, pricey, pricey. There's very little that you will get for free when you're dealing with Windows, but when you're paying, you're getting more than just the software. You're getting constant software updates for bugs and issues. You're getting support from software developers. Basically with Windows, you have a sort of safety net, and also someone to blame when shit hits the fan.
    Macs: I honestly have no experiences with Macs. While in my network administration course at college, I've never run into them. But they seem to do the way to go for any graphics/video editing, etc, etc. Again like Windows, Macs licenses aren't very cheap for that kind of software.

So pretty much when it comes down to it, each system has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Most of the time Windows falls in the middle, never quite excelling, but never being horrible at it. And I think that's largely what's made Windows so successful.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head. I know I'm not a reliable source, but if you have any questions about any stuff, go ahead and ask. But I'm not gonna find resources for you. :P

Vindicta_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's all amazing
    but where can I find proof for any of this
    I don't care which one is more user friendly or what not ( I know everyone has their own opinion)
    I just want something real to back it up
    through surveys? stats? anything of that sort

That was my original question but I guess I didn't make it clear enough in the beginning, apologies all around.

planters on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    That's all amazing
    but where can I find proof for any of this
    I don't care which one is more user friendly or what not ( I know everyone has their own opinion)
    I just want something real to back it up
    through surveys? stats? anything of that sort

That was my original question but I guess I didn't make it clear enough in the beginning, apologies all around.

The best you could do is potentially find usage rates in particular industries or whatever but then your entire argument is based on a bandwagon-fallacy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Microsoft has funded a number of studies "proving" windows is better than linux, OS X, GeOS, and chocolate cake.

Start here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studies_related_to_Microsoft

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Where would I find those things?

planters on