As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GnH] Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising Cancelled [NSF56K]

2»

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This makes me incredibly uneasy for the Star Trek MMO, far more so than if the game had been released and only met with mehs from everyone. I was flipping through a new PC mag and saw a full page add for the game, and not the Circuit City pre-order add I saw last week. There has to be a whole lot more to this story than we are seeing.

Accualt on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    maybe they simply didn't have enough people to finish both and they were ordered by the bigwigs to rush out the star trek deal, because that will inevitably pull in the trekkies...

have to wonder how that game's gonna work. will there be a federation vs. some other organization war we're fighting in, or will we be enterprise / other exploratory ship crew and land on different planets and explore them? kill hostile life forms for the +5 Phaser of Smiting they drop?

DiscoZombie on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, good chance that is the deal.

I remember reading the design idea behind the Star Trek MMO was that the bigger starships were essentially guild halls, so no single person could own a galaxy class vessel. People in the guild could spec in various things, such as Engineering, Away Team, Weapon Systems, whatever. If no com specced guild memebr was on then an NPC would do it, but not as well. The away team stuff was going to be FPSish.

It all sounded good but I'm not sure how you play an engineer on a giant Starship. I don't know, maybe it will be like a Tetris mini-game to keep the engines from over heating or something.

Accualt on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    maybe they simply didn't have enough people to finish both and they were ordered by the bigwigs to rush out the star trek deal, because that will inevitably pull in the trekkies...

It sounds like virtually everyone involved with GnH was laid off, so other than redirecting some funds and maybe some more devoted management attention I doubt the impact will be that big.

Scooter on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    It all sounded good but I'm not sure how you play an engineer on a giant Starship. I don't know, maybe it will be like a Tetris mini-game to keep the engines from over heating or something.

Puzzle Pirates... in SPACE! puzzle space pirates?

DiscoZombie on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am pretty disappointed. It takes a lot for an MMO to not have me throw up my hands, scream out that it's shit, and uninstall it in the first hour or so. With polish it could've been quite enjoyable.

JAEF on
    edited October 2007
    While I was at Best Buy today I noticed they still have the pre-order boxes for this out.

Made me kind of sad.

Accualt on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's probably a wise choice. I bet they started on this around the same time as or just before they got the Star Trek deal. The market is so flooded with MMOs nowadays, that unless you release a game with a lot of polish, you're just wasting your money. Look at LOTR Online -- it has high levels of polish and a great franchise, but it's still not doing all that well.

I fear for what Star Trek Online may be like though. It would/will take a huge amount of money to properly realize the ST universe, so I'm afraid it will be some shallow mockery of itself. In order to be good, it would really need to be open-ended and have grey areas like the Star Wars universe. (Not SWG, that blows, but SW universe in general sandbox style)

JediNight on