As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Changeling: the Lost

artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
Just a little background: I have tried my hardest to like the new World of Darkness, I really have. I used to play a hell of a lot of V:tM, most of which was interesting in its own way, but best when a game managed to avoid both overblown politics and ridiculous combat. I will take a nice, quiet, disturbing game about Caitiff finding their way in the world over trying to navigate hierarchies in a city or stab werewolves in the face. I also really got into Mage, for a fairly short period of time (roughly 3rd ed. to reboot), and it had that same dangerous, edgy, on the run kind of play available to it, too.

Then, nWoD. The core book is actually playable, and interesting. I just pretended it was Beyond the Supernatural v2, and it made for some good stories. But V:tR? I know, I know. I can't say much negative about it that hasn't already been said, but I am going to try. It's very, very solid. It's also very unadorned. Which makes it easy to like, and hard to love.

Anyway, I packed most of my books into a box (except my Malkavian clanbook, which I may have to be buried with) and gave up tabletop for a while. This isn't just because White Wolf disappointed me, but there were other factors. Then, on a whim last week, I went to wikipedia and looked up what else was going on in the nWoD. I... don't think I like it.

Mage just sounds weird, like they realized they didn't put enough flavor into Vampire, and decided to over season elsewhere. Werewolf, I was never into much at all. And Prometheans? I get the feeling I wouldn't like it.

But Changeling? Five minutes of skimming over what it was about, and I ran out (okay, really I waited until after work) and bought it. It's basically what I wanted V:tR to be, sort of. Dangerous, transformed weirdos? Yes, please.

What I've gathered from reading it once, and quickly, is that like V:tR, it allows stories for individual growth, as well as presenting a very nice open system of politics. What's even better, is that characters in game can be as interested or not in the court system as the player, without negatively affecting the gameplay too much. It also looks like one could even sketch out a fairly nice, coordinated party (or whatever the word they use is) without it being either too homogenous or supergroup-lite.

Anyway, tl;dr: C:tL is really fantastic, and I don't see anything about it on this board. Shame.

artifexite on

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't know Changeling was still running in NWoD... good to know; I figured it died with The Dreaming.

I'm not familiar with it, but it always seemed interesting. Less backstabbing and drama.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I remember I had a Changeling: the Lost desktop for awhile, when it was first announced.

Haven't looked at it the game yet though :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's (like most of the games) very different now. The players are people who were kidnapped by Fae (which encompasses like every fairy tale horror possible: witches, demons, ogres, river nymphs), and then find their way back. Plus the Fae totally remind me of the elves in Discworld, so that's a very big plus.

artifexite on
  • The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's a pretty awesome game and I really like the main book, haven't gotten a chance to read Autumn Nightmares yet. I like the way Kiths and Courts are set up in Lost and the whole feel of the game the most. There are literally so many things you can do with this game that it's not even funny.

I have my first game with my regular gaming group on Sunday, I'll let you guys know how it plays out.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yep, looks awesome.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg