As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

M...MapleStory?

Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
I've heard of it before and never payed it any mind.

Started seeing commercials for it. Still didn't think much of it.

Finally checked out the website and gave it a download. I at least want to try it out. After all, basic gameplay is free, right?

Install went fine. Run the problem, and the launcher and hacking prevent system all seem to work fine.

Get the Nexon logo, get the Wizet logo. BAM. 100% frozen computer, requiring HARD restart. No C+A+D, no ALT+TAB, nothing.

I've scoured the nexon forums only to find people with the same -- or similiar -- problems. Yet no answers. Very few replies in total. I follow all the suggestions for other problems people are having anyway. You never know, right? The rest of the internet (by that i mean google) doesnt seem to have any results pertaining particularly to these types of problems w/ maplestory.

Nothing works.

Has anyone played this? Should I just give up? Is it totally gay and not even worth it, or does someone have a suggestion for me?

Dr+Bongenstein.png
Grizzly_Addams on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It is totally gay and not even worth it.

The only reason you would have that game is because nothing else, I mean nothing else, works on your computer.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The only reason you would have that game is because nothing else, I mean nothing else, works on your computer.

I don't doubt it, but if that's the case then why do people seem so stupid over it?

(In before "Because people are stupid")

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm fucking amazed they even managed to get TV space for it. It's a retarded RO clone. End of story.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I don't doubt it, but if that's the case then why do people seem so stupid over it?

You know gaia online and 4chan?

Same kinda thing.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Eh... crisis averted then I suppose.

Thanks.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is like complaining you're having trouble getting Daikatana to run. I mean, come on.

JAEF on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It wasn't that bad for the few minutes I played it. At least it's unique, being a sidescrolling MMO, I wish someone better would make one.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It suffers from the standard Korean MMO problem where the only effective way to play is to grind on things that you can one-shot.

jothki on
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

You know gaia online and 4chan?

Same kinda thing.

Have you ever even been to 4chan? XD Maple Story is its antithesis. And anon would be ashamed of being associated with MS. Nor is it anything like Gaia Online, MS has more dignity and less pseudo-political pundits.

But stay away from MS, there's better free MMOs out there (Space Cowboy is ok).

Or you could always try to shove an iPod into your urethra. It's the same feeling.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    It gets all about GRINDAN real fast.
    Also, the community is garbage.
    Anyone who isn't retarded is an attention whore.
    Don't even bother, man.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When I first played it, I thought to myself, "meh...this would be okay on the DS but it's not that great as a PC MMO".

Then a few months later, I heard it was being developed for the DS:

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=49749

So I came to the conclusion that I'm either psychic, or my thoughts shape the fabric of the world, changing the course of events.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What I can't figure out is why there's not an MMO on PSP. Even if they don't make it subscription based because they don't think it will sell well on a handheld, just limit the scope of the MM part. Like, make the game world instanced like Guild Wars or PSO. I would die to be able to sit on the couch and play something like that. Or anywhere else in the house for that matter. I'd even pay like $8.95 or $9.95 a month. (If the game was good)

While I'm here, are there ANY free MMOs that are worth my time? I remember there being some free MMO thread a couple weeks ago, but search turned up nothing (Or I'm retarded) What finally got me to DL MapleStory was the art style. I'd really like to play a GOOD RO ripoff.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Look up Fly for Free. The name is retarded but the game is supposed to be pretty good.

Also some pirate one that came out recently.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ringoxcoreringoxcore Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    back in the day my friends were addicted to MS. i actually had to delete their accounts for them (they couldnt bring themselves to do it) and its silly like gunbound, where you have to fork over some cash for tricked out accessories.

its cute, but the grind is way to extreme for me for enjoy it for more than 20 minutes or so.

ringoxcore on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Flyff is fun, but it's just a grind, albeit a cute one.

I've never tried Maple Story, but my old roommate used to play it. I was never really intrigued, and this is probably for two reasons:

1) The community didn't seem very good

and

2) It was the same day I bought the Diablo 2 expansion pack.

Kami on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This thing had the creepiest freaking ad ever. Some fat kid with slugs on his nipples or something.

KiTA on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    This thing had the creepiest freaking ad ever. Some fat kid with slugs on his nipples or something.

'DOES THAT PIG HAVE ON A GENTLEMAN'S HAT'

'YES'

Kami on