As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free LAN games - Assemble!

Cowboy BebopCowboy Bebop Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So me and a small grope of friends decided we would have a LAN party at some point in the future. We have our solid titles down such as Warcraft 3,Half Life 2 Deathmatch and some of the C&C games but some more variation would be good and were strapped for cash. So does any one know of any games that would work well on a LAN that are free and not garbage?

Cowboy Bebop on

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Soldat

Lemming on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Enemy Territory

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    Soldat

Limed and giganticnessed for truth and justice.

This game destroyed any chance our programming class had of passing.

And utterly inflated my ego and that of two of my friends as we three took on the other ~20 students in the class and cut through them like butter.

EDIT: Its like Tribes, side scrolling!

EDIT2: Ok, its not like Tribes. The only similarity is that you get a jetpack in Soldat too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Duke3D

Junpei on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So me and a small grope of friends decided we would have a LAN party at some point in the future. We have our solid titles down such as Warcraft 3,Half Life 2 Deathmatch and some of the C&C games but some more variation would be good and were strapped for cash. So does any one know of any games that would work well on a LAN that are free and not garbage?

:winky:

Sourceforts.

Also, CS:S Zombies.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Quake Open Arena

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for your input I'll check out some of those games you suggested.

Cowboy Bebop on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »

:winky:

Sourceforts.

Also, CS:S Zombies.

Funny thing is I read that originally thinking why has he highlighted the word group :lol:

Cowboy Bebop on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Savage

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Quake Open Arena
    Add this to Western Quake (http://www.westernquake3.net/) or Navy SEALs (http://www.ns-co.net/) and you've got some great times ahead. Also, if you do play some Duke3D (you'd have to use the shareware episode for it to be free), make sure to get a source-port like EDuke32 (http://eduke32.com/) for easy LAN play.

My personal favorite is Movie Battles (http://www.moviebattles.com/), but you need Jedi Academy which isn't costly but it's not free either. Just throwing that out there in case you decide to pool together and spend a few bucks (you only need one copy to play on LAN).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Hidden

Plutonium on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There are a couple of games that work as multiple installs for the purpose of playing LAN games (e.g. 1 copy would do everyone). Company of Heroes and World in Conflict work this way.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I thought I would ask here for some more LAN help instead of opening a new thread for it. So we tired a dry run for our LAN party just to see if everything was in working order. Turns out it’s not. When we all connect to the hub my computer is the only one that connects, none of the other ports light up when other people try to connect. So is there a setting somewhere that’s preventing people from connecting to the hub?

Thanks in advance.

Cowboy Bebop on
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All the junk I learned about computer networking leaked out of my head but in my just-awakened stupor but I think you want a switch or router and not a hub. Hubs won't assign the different computers IP addresses, they just connect them, or something (like I said most of this stuff leaked out of my head).

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    also another two games that are dirty dirt cheep and require one disk are Elite Force and Unreal Tournament.

Unreal Tournament insta gib matches are AWESOME at like 4 in the morning when people are starting to tire out.

Elite Force will always hold a special place in my gaming heart becuase at one of our lans, after a few beers, we ended up playing this game and whenver we phaser (sp?) someone we would yell PHASER BURNSSSSSSSS!

Turst me, it was hillarious

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    The Hidden
    I'm going to put in another vote for this because it's one of my favorite mods and works well for a smaller group (I can't remember playing with any more than 5 people). Also, it would be grand to be able to be in the same room with all the other players as the spec-ops team starts freaking out.

Bama on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    While not exactly free, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars requires neither the CD or the cd-key if you play over a network.

Falx on