As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh hey another food thread...

• Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the wook wrote: »
    Sami wrote: »
    wook I am a vegetarian, because I don't see a need to end a creatures life when I don't really have to. I'm a lazy vegetarian though, so I'll still gobble down sushi like nobodies business. Fish are cold, soulless eating machines and I only have the slightest pang of guilt when I eat them.

So I guess I'm not really a vegetarian, I'm just a mammal supremacist :(

even if they are short, meaningless, miserable as fuck lives, it's better than nothing

More accurate.

And I disagree. I think as far as creatures that aren't capable of the higher faculties of thought are concerned, no life would be leagues better than the mechano-hell of industrial meat facilities.

Farms like ]Niman Ranch I'm totally cool with. The high production places, not so much.

if they're miserable as fuck, why not kill them?

I don't think you could use more circular logic even if your name was Circly McSphererson

Sami on
  • Options
    BrinkBrink Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    its not like we're eating cute creatures man

just cows and shit. fuckers are ugly.

Brink on
    ;)
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    but sami it's a billion dollar industry that billions of people depend upon

it's not going to go away because two people and India don't eat meat

Faricazy on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    fish are fucking delicious
    and stupid as hell

So are chickens.

I am pretty sure that chickens are dumber than the average vegetable.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    you know what's the best

when you find dolphin in your tuna

mmmm

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BrinkBrink Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    chickens are godamn vicious. just think of them as tiny dinosaurs and try and stop yourself from chasing one down with a knife and fork.

Brink on
    ;)
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wook I am a vegetarian, because I don't see a need to end a creatures life when I don't really have to. I'm a lazy vegetarian though, so I'll still gobble down sushi like nobodies business. Fish are cold, soulless eating machines and I only have the slightest pang of guilt when I eat them.

So I guess I'm not really a vegetarian, I'm just a mammal supremacist :(

even if they are short, meaningless, miserable as fuck lives, it's better than nothing

More accurate.

And I disagree. I think as far as creatures that aren't capable of the higher faculties of thought are concerned, no life would be leagues better than the mechano-hell of industrial meat facilities.

Farms like ]Niman Ranch I'm totally cool with. The high production places, not so much.

if they're miserable as fuck, why not kill them?

I don't think you could use more circular logic even if your name was Circly McSphererson

if it's a choice between all the health benefits eating meat provides and the comfort of animals so dumb they don't have the cognitive awareness to know what is what, i choose steak

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Brink wrote: »
    chickens are godamn vicious. just think of them as tiny dinosaurs and try and stop yourself from chasing one down with a knife and fork.

oh damn man

oh damn

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

I'm not saying that there aren't people who depend on meat to survive. I just think that in particularly wealthy and technologically advanced nations the only excuses left for meat consumption are tradition and pleasure. The former is a piss-poor reason, the second, while understandable, isn't necessarily a good thing.

But people eating meat is way, way low on my list of things that need fixing. I don't particularly care, but I'm not going to contribute to the system.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I'm not saying that there aren't people who depend on meat to survive. I just think that in particularly wealthy and technologically advanced nations the only excuses left for meat consumption are tradition and pleasure. The former is a piss-poor reason, the second, while understandable, isn't necessarily a good thing.

But people eating meat is way, way low on my list of things that need fixing. I don't particularly care, but I'm not going to contribute to the system.

eating a proportionate balance of meat is very anti-aging

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

What the hell is wrong with tradition? And man, we bred and raised those cows, it's only right they end up being delicious in my stomach.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You are increasingly able to get all the good stuff you need out of meat in veggie format and so the health benefits aren't that significant.

Sami on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sami that is the exact reason I am a vegetarian

well put

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Which isn't even mentioning all the adverse health effects if you eat too much meat.

But let's not go there. We can all agree that if you get the proper vitamin/mineral fat-protein-carb balance, it doesn't really matter what you eat.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    fuck it, i like eating tasty things

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You are increasingly able to get all the good stuff you need out of meat in veggie format and so the health benefits aren't that significant.

one thing they'll never put in vegetables is creatine. given that people who cut meat out of their diets entirely put a low priority on muscle tone in the first place, it's likely they're not supplementing it either. over time, this leads to a more rapid onset of age-related muscle loss. people have less energy, and chances are their posture begins to slip. this can lead to all sorts of problems in the hips and spinal regions, which, coupled with the lower energy, likely means decreased physical activity. this snowballs the wasting effects of aging, and significantly decreases cardiovascular health in general.

but hey, as long as the cows are okay

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

one thing they'll never put in vegetables is creatine. given that people who cut meat out of their diets entirely put a low priority on muscle tone in the first place, it's likely they're not supplementing it either. over time, this leads to a more rapid onset of age-related muscle loss. people have less energy, and chances are their posture begins to slip. this can lead to all sorts of problems in the hips and spinal regions, which, coupled with the lower energy, likely means decreased physical activity. this snowballs the wasting effects of aging, and significantly decreases cardiovascular health in general.

This whole argument is based around lifestyle, not diet. Yeah, a lot of people who are vegetarians don't work out like they should, and so they get the problems you're talking about. It's the same story with different ailments for people who eat meat and don't exercise.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i don't need to be a vegetarian to have decreased physical activity

no sir

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

This whole argument is based around lifestyle, not diet. Yeah, a lot of people who are vegetarians don't work out like they should, and so they get the problems you're talking about. It's the same story with different ailments for people who eat meat and don't exercise.

my point revolves around the fact that meat allows you to maintain a healthy lifestyle longer. choice is choice, but meat provides you with more opportunities.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

my point revolves around the fact that meat allows you to maintain a healthy lifestyle longer. choice is choice, but meat provides you with more opportunities.

In that case,
    You are increasingly able to get all the good stuff you need out of meat in veggie format and so the health benefits aren't that significant

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Koshian wrote: »
    why is this being argued

I like meat

you don't

end of story
    Druhim wrote: »
    as if anyone who's a vegetarian gives a fuck wook :lol:

i wouldn't expect them to. anybody who's confident in a decision shouldn't feel the need to justify it to anybody.

but when people do, i find it infinitely amusing.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

In that case,
    You are increasingly able to get all the good stuff you need out of meat in veggie format and so the health benefits aren't that significant

did you read how i mentioned that there are things that will never be put in veggie format?

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    no kosh, i am going to make it my life's work to make every vegeterian i meet eat half a steak by hypnotizing them and then spreading the rest of the steak all over their bed so when they wake up whoooopppsss

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm don't feel the need to justify it to you wook, I'm just shootin' the shit.

Talkin' with my e-buddies.

Conversing via flashes of light represented on the screen as text.

Isn't that kind of the whole point of a forum?

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    and anyway

vegetarians often have meat in their mouths

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    did you read how i mentioned that there are things that will never be put in veggie format?

Did you forget that you can get creatine without eating meat?

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm don't feel the need to justify it to you wook, I'm just shootin' the shit.

Talkin' with my e-buddies.

Conversing via flashes of light represented on the screen as text.

Isn't that kind of the whole point of a forum?

lol

the point i'm trying to make to kosh is that this isn't serious

i don't even know if the half the shit i've said is true

but it makes sense at some level, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Koshian wrote: »
    I can't wait till it's economically feasible to grow steaks in laboratories

then everyone can shut the fuck up
    and the joke will be on us when the steaks turn out to be highly intelligent sentient creatures

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

not at the low low cost of meat

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

How much is a life worth wook?

YOU CAN'T ANSWER THAT CAN YOU

WHAT IS YOUR QUANTATIVE VALUE FOR BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

less than a dollar a pound

edit - the quantitative value for blood on my hands is "I kill mammals for a living"

the wook on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't know about a completely meat free diet. I just seems to big of a strain on my daily life, though I have done it for several months. A strain as in checking ingredients on everything and trying to look for veggie alternatives to things that are primarily meaty, like restaurants that are known for their burgers, etc. I eat mostly fish or chicken as my main actual meat meals. Though I usually have a good amount of eggs and peanut butter for even more addition protein.

The main reason I do not eat pork or beef is because of the shit and piss they can or do throw in there. I mean, last time I checked they didn't use growth hormones and antibiotics in wild salmon or canned tuna. However, from time to time I will enjoy a burger.

I'd join PETA for their aminal rights things, but they are too douchebaggish and don't want to be associated with folks who go nuts with not eating meat and having 30 cats and dogs live in their houses.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

less than a dollar a pound

oh well ok

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

WHAT IS YOUR QUANTATIVE VALUE FOR BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS
    about three bucks a pound for a real prime cut

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    oh man did anyone see pictures of those really muscular cows with the hormone imbalances?

woooooaahhh

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    fari eats much higher quality meat than i do

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    wook beat you to it Faricrazy, but you used the superior edited version of my post so I'm torn

Sami on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    fari eats much higher quality meat than i do
    more like

staring at it at the supermarket while holding back sobs

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    oh man did anyone see pictures of those really muscular cows with the hormone imbalances?

woooooaahhh

myostatin_deficient_cow.jpg

moo motherfucker

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yeah geeez

and all that meat sucks because it's muscle

waste of a cow

Faricazy on