As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Half-Life 2: Episode 2, the discussioning

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I just played through the game and I thought that it was fantastic. Great fun all around, and some important and very well done character progression in there as well. I personally thought it was more enjoyable compared to episode one, mostly thanks to the change of scenery.

The vistas in it are entirely fuckawesome and the new and improved facial animation system really makes the characters come alive. Good stuff.

What was your thoughts and impressions with the game? Did it live up to your expectations? Was it a complete and utter let down?

Spoilers ahead!

Added some nice screenshots of the game. Not any hueg spoilers, but you'd probably just want to experience them first for yourself, eh.

Combine Convoy, protecting the advisors escape out of city 17ep2_outland_050002.jpg
ep2_outland_050004.jpg
post blast city 17ep2_outland_010000.jpg
Dog ripping a strider a new oneep2_outland_10a0007.jpg
Strider brains!
ep2outland10a0054lg3.jpg

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    hey so based on my earlier complaints in the hl2 thread, how will i feel about this episode

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What were your earlier complaints?

I dont expect it from the likes of Valve, but I'm required to ask the same tired question every time a game is cross platform with a console:

As a PC enthusiast, are there any signs of influence of the PC development by the console one? Level design, overall or specific case difficulty, user interface, enemy placement/number/aggressiveness, etc.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No. I'm also a "Pc enthusiast" and I noticed no such things.

Also, I don't know about your complaints orik. Tell me about them

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2007
    i thought the plot of HL2 was uninvolving although the actual gameplay was fun enough

similar complaints re: ep 1

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't want to start a war about the HL2 story, I'm legitimately curious what you found uninvolving about the story.

I thought it was a cool enough story, punctuated by the continuous points where the security warnings and communiques from Dr. Breen are either talking specifically about what you've just done, or speaking directly to you. You don't get to interact with the NPCs as such, but they talk to you and about you enough that it made me feel a part of the happenings.

Vargas Prime on
    edited October 2007
    i didn't like how i didn't have much attachment to the revolution, basically

alyx does everything for you while you guard her

but i was probably spoiled by playing bioshock first, which is much more up my alley plot-wise

Orikaeshigitae on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I felt detached from it because I really didn't understand what the fuck was going on. There were too many holes in the world. And EP 1 was basically a hugely expanded finale of HL2.

But playing EP 2 so far feels different. I feel I can understand the context of the environment by just looking at it and the various characters/enemies are less confusing and more mysterious, which is how it should be. What also helps is that the comic relief is much better than what they had in previous HL games.

Hoz on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    HAHA YES! YES! I knew it was Adam Baldwin! I kept thinking 'man that resistance soldier sure is talking like Jayne would...

bombardier on
  • bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    HAHA YES! YES! I knew it was Adam Baldwin! I kept thinking 'man that resistance soldier sure is talking like Jayne would...
    Man I just finished that part and it was so awesome.

deadonthestreet on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are people from Firefly just going to show up in every FPS now?

UnbreakableVow on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wait, who is adam baldwin voicing?

Barcardi on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are people from Firefly just going to show up in every FPS now?
    that would be great, we should start a petition.

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    whoooooooops

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I mean, I don't mind if they're fitting the roles and whatnot, but I can see every thread turning into "THE GUYS FROM FIREFLY ARE IN THIS!!", if only for a page or two.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »
    wait, who is adam baldwin voicing?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been afraid of the episodes ever since I couldn't finish Episode 1 due to the constant crashing after a certain point in the game. Bleh.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    wait, who is adam baldwin?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One of the dude in the mine section with the 4 tunnels I think.

'Hey Freeman, be adequate!'

'What was that? Say something cool like the Vort'

The_Scarab on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been afraid of the episodes ever since I couldn't finish Episode 1 due to the constant crashing after a certain point in the game. Bleh.

I suffered those crashes in Episode 1 as well, pretty regular. Rest assured I didn't suffer even a single crash all the way through Episode 2.

Alright, ONE crash, but that's because I alt-tabbed out-in-out in a very short space of time and probably strained the poor PC too far.

As for the episode itself, brilliant. I mean, I can see what they were doing with all that time. Sure it's not as long as a full game (inevitably people will complain about that), but they really kicked the graphics up a few notches. First time I saw the Vortigaunts I was really impressed. Plus the shadowing, fogging, general lighting and fluid effects. Other games try to make use of effects like that and end up looking fake, HL2 has always seemed to manage to look more real-world than most other games that try this stuff.

Plus we get some really good story exposition in here as well.
    Whilst Episode 1 was pretty much just "Escape from City 17", we got plenty of good stuff here about the combine advisors, what Dr. Mossman was up to, and a bit more insight into what happened back at Black Mesa, especially with Dr. Eli Vance and daughter Alyx.

Action was pretty good all the way through as well, loved the car too. Hunters were good for kicking the combat up a notch or two as well (we barely saw any combine this time around). And oh man, the ant-lion caves...

Seriously, I've watched plenty of documentaries about termites and ant mounds and things, but I was really impressed with how well they captured the look and feel of the thing. I felt distinctly uneasy exploring someplaces, especially seeing grubs grazing on blood stained walls. Ravenholme didn't really have an impact on me, but the ant-lion caves were really creepy to me in places.

I also really liked the more wide open spaces that this game had, especially near the end. When Valve said they were going for a slighlty less A-to-B linear gamestyle, I had to wonder whether the kings of set piece action would really be able to make something like that work, especially in Half Life. I'm glad to see they pulled it off.

Seriously, I feel Episode 2 is the best yet in the series. Although this may depend a lot on whether you like the slightly more open expanses and style of gameplay as opposed to Episode 1 / HL2's more close-encounters environments.

So yeah, roll on Episode 3 then. Even if it comes out in another 1.5 years, I don't mind as long as they keep updating the series both in its gameplay and its graphics like they have been so far.

After episode 3 though, I'd like to see Valve do some work on a new singleplayer franchise. They're probably got a lot of good ideas kicking around.

subedii on
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone else get reminded of the Brainbug in Starship troopers when you saw the advisor poke his straw thing into the neck of that corpse in the barn?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    strider hunt at the end was a bit annoying, but seeing as it's kind of a boss fight, I can live with it. Still, I abused my quickload button way more than I usually like to

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I somehow managed to get the resistance base blown up twice, because I kept losing my way and then it was too late to stop the strider.

Anyway, pretty cool to see them blow up the base as well so yeah :lol:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I somehow managed to get the resistance base blown up twice, because I kept losing my way and then it was too late to stop the strider.

Anyway, pretty cool to see them blow up the base as well so yeah :lol:
    Stupid hunters, jumping away the last moment before my trusty friend, car, crushesd them >:(

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone else get reminded of the Brainbug in Starship troopers when you saw the advisor poke his straw thing into the neck of that corpse in the barn?
    If you turn all the graphics way up .. with the veins .. sorry but it looks like a huge white dong .. what an awful way to die .. phallic impalement D:

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited October 2007
    evilthecat wrote: »
    If you turn all the graphics way up .. with the veins .. sorry but it looks like a huge white dong .. what an awful way to die .. phallic impalement D:
    Meet the brainbug
    brainbug.jpg

It uses the little thing in the middle of its face to impale a persons head and suck out the contents.

Also, on the subject of combine advisors, the ending was awesome. So sad and yet so awesome.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Meet the brainbug
    brainbug.jpg

It uses the little thing in the middle of its face to impale a persons head and suck out the contents.

Also, on the subject of combine advisors, the ending was awesome. So sad and yet so awesome.

I understand your reference and I thought that too but the other alternative .. *shudder*

while I thought the ending was great, I thought they could have made the .. err ...
    death
    more integral. as is it's just stickied at the end of the episode.
    well done though ..
    look away, sweetie, don't look .. *splat* OH GOD NOOOO! DAD!

evilthecat on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The hunters are my favorite enemy ever because of what they almost achieved. The introduction of them. *STAB AND BEAT DOWN* <3

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited October 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    The hunters are my favorite enemy ever because of what they almost achieved. The introduction of them. *STAB AND BEAT DOWN* <3

i'm finding them amazing hard to kill.
    how are you supposed to use their own flechettes against them? cant gravgun them ..
    and yeah, generally, they take a bucket of bullets to bring down, bar the AR2 (TWO, NOT THREE) alternative firing mode.

evilthecat on
    edited October 2007

True that. I did just not see that coming

[€dit] Also, I thought a saw a scene of Alyx hanging at the side of a cliff in an ep2 trailer, but I don't think I saw that in the game?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2007

True that. I did just not see that coming

[€dit] Also, I thought a saw a scene of Alyx hanging at the side of a cliff in an ep2 trailer, but I don't think I saw that in the game?

well, HL2 was supposed to feature that blue tentacle creature.
    perhaps alyx will be dangling off some cliff in ep3.
    same with the stance dog engages the strider in.
    ingame is was waaaay more ordinary..

evilthecat on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm surprised that I'm not getting hated on for hating alyx.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm surprised that I'm not getting hated on for hating alyx.

We've heard you state your opinions a hundred times already. Nobody cares.
    All it was missing was Michael "They sucked his brains out!" Ironside.

On that note, I would guess that if this is a process of them... ahem... interrogating the victim, does this mean that the combine know pretty much everything about how they shut down the portal and possibly also how to create new, proper portals?

I'm guessing that lost Aperature sciences ship is going to be quite important to the plot of episode 3. Well, I suppose that was obvious anyway.

subedii on
    edited October 2007
    Oh, right. :(

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, anyone done all the achievements yet? I got quite a few done but not all.

Also, I would have expected valve to release a little sneak peak trailer for Ep3 on finishing Ep2 like they did with the first one. Since I thought they developed them at least in part parallel to each other.

Also:
    Borealis, about time they put that in there.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited October 2007
    Can anyone sum up what the gman said in his speech? I don't think I picked up on most of it, except for the fact that he saved Alyx from Black Mesa.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

how are you supposed to use their own flechettes against them? cant gravgun them ..
    and yeah, generally, they take a bucket of bullets to bring down, bar the AR2 (TWO, NOT THREE) alternative firing mode.

I got that achievement completely by accident. I was running them over with the car, and I guess some of the fletchettes stuck to the front and exploded just as I ran over one. No idea how you'd do it otherwise.

Fats on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stand near enough when they're shot at you for them to explode and kill the hunter. Or carry something that it'll stick to and throw it at the hunter.

Hoz on
  • StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fats wrote: »

I got that achievement completely by accident. I was running them over with the car, and I guess some of the fletchettes stuck to the front and exploded just as I ran over one. No idea how you'd do it otherwise.
    I did it by blocking their shots with a crate or something and throwing it at them.

Stregone on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm going to DESPERATELY avoid spoilers (including fucking unmarked spoilers of how to kill things.... :( ), but I wanted to see if anyone else just had the problem I did.

I hit a... major storytelling point, and suddenly my game dropped to 1 frame per second. Sound stuttered and then dropped out, and the lip syncing screwed up as well. When the plot device passed, I had to save and reload to get things back to normal.

Anyone else have this problem?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch