As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty 4 demo out... and Yahoo servers went down after exactly 2 seconds!

• CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not thrilled about it... I enjoyed the demo, and I think it controls very well (it has a lot of those modern FPS aspects about it, like head-bobbing, change in camera while running, etc.) and has a nice feel to it, but as a few people have pointed out, it's exactly like all the other CoD's. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing... it's just...a little stale.

The last fight was epic at first, until it quickly started screaming YOU ARE PLAYING CALL OF DUTY and told me exactly where to go, where the enemy was, all the while using I'm pretty sure the exact same voices from CoD2. The whole time I was expecting to see a Sherman or run into a room full of German soldiers.

So while it's fun, I just feel like I've played it too many times.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It was kinda hard for me to distinguish allies from enemies (without aiming at them to see if the cursor turned red or green) because of how dark it was

DrIanMalcolm on
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    The 360 multiplayer beta was the best experience I had on the console until Halo 3.

If the single player is an ounce as good as the multi, it will blow me away.

I'd say the 360 COD4 Beta was better than the Halo 3 beta, though I haven't played the release of Halo 3(or Halo 2... I have Halo 1 though:) ) The fact that the game rewards you for succeeding with Experience kinda gave me reason to improve my play style beyond the old "I want to stomp these whiny 13yo bastards!"

Also note that the whiny comment was not a jab at Halo 3, Just online multi-player in general.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    The 360 multiplayer beta was the best experience I had on the console until Halo 3.

If the single player is an ounce as good as the multi, it will blow me away.

I'd say the 360 COD4 Beta was better than the Halo 3 beta, though I haven't played the release of Halo 3(or Halo 2... I have Halo 1 though:) ) The fact that the game rewards you for succeeding with Experience kinda gave me reason to improve my play style beyond the old "I want to stomp these whiny 13yo bastards!"

Also note that the whiny comment was not a jab at Halo 3, Just online multi-player in general.

The Experience system is a great great way of making me actually want to improve. As are the custom classes and perks. It also is pretty much the only reason a friend of mine kept playing after his first round of sucking.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Where is the select fire on the weapons? There is no excuse for omitting this feature since both CoD1 and 2 had this feature. If this was done for the sake of balance, then heck there a lot of better ways to balance weapons then getting rid of select fire. And what is with the Javelin shooting up, up, and away into the fricken atmosphere!? Sure fun/game play > realism, but certain characteristics shouldn't be stretch into extreme fiction. So much for hype in authenticity. *nag* *nag* *nag*

...but hell it's a fun romp overall.

On a big plus though, the game runs pretty great on my "aging" system...

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2gig DDR1 PC3200
    ATi x850xt 256mb

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i was just told by some guy that CoD4 wont be playable on the core SKU, is that true? if so -1 to microsoft. i have a feeling he is full of shit though.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    Where is the select fire on the weapons? There is no excuse for omitting this feature since both CoD1 and 2 had this feature. If this was done for the sake of balance, then heck there a lot of better ways to balance weapons then getting rid of select fire. And what is with the Javelin shooting up, up, and away into the fricken atmosphere!? Sure fun/game play > realism, but certain characteristics shouldn't be stretch into extreme fiction. So much for hype in authenticity. *nag* *nag* *nag*

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2gig DDR1 PC3200
    ATi x850xt 256mb

I thought the Javelin was supposed to fire up into the air? Kinda like that one rocket launcher in Worms.

Anywho, my rigs worse than yours and it still runs pretty decent. Well, choppy at parts but good enough.

AMD Athlon 64 4200 dual core
    1gb ram
    ATi Radeon X1300Pro

Smilingoat, it'll run fine on the core, there'll be some features suchas the ability download content missing though obviously.

Big Classy on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    its bullshit, there was an issue with the sticker on the front saying that a form of storage was required with a picture of the HDD, but it doesn't mean anything new.

Faricazy on
  • Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah that is quite freaky, when I fired it I was like "WTF, where did it go???" And then 3 sec. later WHAMMO! "Oh, someone else must've gotten it." But hey, apparently it's legit...top attack with tandem warheads, baby! Same goes for the auto-magic fire-and-forget lock-on. I had no idea shit this advanced was already in service...had to go to Wikipedia for that one, since my copy of Jane's All The World's Weird-Ass Missiles is out on loan.

I'm assuming these babies don't come cheap IRL. Probably the economic equivalent of taking out a tank by dropping a Porsche Cayenne on it.

Big Isy wrote: »

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2gig DDR1 PC3200
    ATi x850xt 256mb

I thought the Javelin was supposed to fire up into the air? Kinda like that one rocket launcher in Worms.

Anywho, my rigs worse than yours and it still runs pretty decent. Well, choppy at parts but good enough.

AMD Athlon 64 4200 dual core
    1gb ram
    ATi Radeon X1300Pro

Smilingoat, it'll run fine on the core, there'll be some features suchas the ability download content missing though obviously.

Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2gig DDR1 PC3200
    ATi x850xt 256mb

That's how a Javelin missile fires on armored targets...

tofu on
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey guys, what the fuck is wrong with my system? Under "optimal" settings it, had the absolute lowest quality. I jacked it up, but framerate dropped like a bitch. I played with pretty much everything at off and at 800x600.

AMD 64 3500+
    2 gigs
    xp
    7800 GT.

Xeno on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I downloaded this -3- times from Gamespot and not once did it work. I'll now try Yahoo.

Magus` on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Xeno wrote: »
    Hey guys, what the fuck is wrong with my system? Under "optimal" settings it, had the absolute lowest quality. I jacked it up, but framerate dropped like a bitch. I played with pretty much everything at off and at 800x600.

AMD 64 3500+
    2 gigs
    xp
    7800 GT.

latest graphics drivers?

Rook on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tofu wrote: »

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2gig DDR1 PC3200
    ATi x850xt 256mb

That's how a Javelin missile fires on armored targets...

Yeah, that's how it happens.

Besides, you can't tell me you installed this demo thinking realism wasn't going to be sacrificed for the sake of crazy movie-esque scenarios.

Bearcat on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    So is anyone else having the lighting glitch where soliders appear dark and flicker?

Urian on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yay, I can't even get this to load to a title screen. Either a DirectX error (my card supports SM2.0, and has the latest drivers. Go figure), or a sound-related error (I found a fix on the forums... that doesn't work for me).

I hate PC gaming :(

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited October 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    Yay, I can't even get this to load to a title screen. Either a DirectX error (my card supports SM2.0, and has the latest drivers. Go figure), or a sound-related error (I found a fix on the forums... that doesn't work for me).

You could always get it on the 360...

If you don't have one, all it takes is a single expenditure of far more money than you can really justify!

Ahhh, gaming.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited October 2007

If you don't have one, all it takes is a single expenditure of far more money than you can really justify!

Ahhh, gaming.

Oh, I fully plan on getting the 360 version anyway. I just really want to play the SP campaign.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Finished, and I'm very impressed. Good, smooth graphics, a very chaotic feel to the firefights, and that wholesome CoD feel. Day one purchase.

Suriko on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

What're your specs and error messages?

zilo on
    edited October 2007

Ahhh, gaming.

Oh, I fully plan on getting the 360 version anyway. I just really want to play the SP campaign.

Ooooh. Yeah. Ditto, except I've given up on any PC game but the Orange Box. My poor computer cannot handle this new hotness.

Speaking of the SP campaign, it frightens me that I'm hearing people compare it to CoD 2. I thought CoD 2 was some of the most frustratingly unfair single-player I've ever seen. But the multiplayer was so damn good.

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007
    zilo wrote: »

What're your specs and error messages?

AMD Athlon 2800+ 2.1GHz Processor
    Radeon X850 Pro 256MB
    1 GB PC2700
    Windows XP

Basically, I meet or exceed all minimum requirements. All drivers are up to date.

I've received 3 errors so far:
    - the iw3sp.exe. I've tried the fixes on the COD4 forums and I still get the blank screen.
    - A DirectX error (no fixes so far on the forums outside of "update your drivers")
    - A rever to default graphics settings error (basically reverted all my desktop settings to 640x480 from 1680x1050. Required a restart to fix.

Evangir on
    edited October 2007
    Hmm. All video errors... uninstall and reinstall your drivers? Sounds wacky but it's worked for me before.

zilo on
    edited October 2007
    Now this is rich.

The game somehow changed all my graphics settings, so now I can't load any games at all, giving me a DirectX error. So I get to reinstall drivers all night instead of playing games that work, like World of Warcraft or Half-life Episode 2. Thanks Infinity Ward/Activision!

Evangir on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    To be fair, you probably deserved it.

Bearcat on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you install the DirectX that came with the demo? I found that despite having DX9c installed, CoD4 wouldn't launch without this newer version of it.

Firebrand on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Its Call of Duty 2 with modern guns. If you liked CoD 1 and 2 you will like this one. It doesn't seem "nerfed for the console versions" at all. I just hope the multiplayer has a good solid playerbase like CoD 1 and 2 had.

Soooo many shooters this fall. TF2, CoD4, Crysis, UT3, Gears of War, etc.. and thats just on the pc!

powersurge on
    edited October 2007
    Jesus Christ, this thing didn't just fiddle with a few settings, it fucked up all 3D acceleration on my PC. Even after reinstalling the video drivers/Direct X, I can't run anything. All Direct3D tests fail in Dxdiag. All PC games tell me that they cannot start 3D acceleration.

What. The. Fuck.

Evangir on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jesus Christ, this thing didn't just fiddle with a few settings, it fucked up all 3D acceleration on my PC. Even after reinstalling the video drivers/Direct X, I can't run anything. All Direct3D tests fail in Dxdiag. All PC games tell me that they cannot start 3D acceleration.

What. The. Fuck.
    Did you try loading a system restore point?

FreddyD on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I've figured out what happened and got everything working again.

Rather than being Infinity Ward's fault, it's totally and utterly ATI's. I had to revert all the way back to the 7-7 drivers because anything after that (7-8 through 7-10) fucks up 3D acceleration in numerous games. This will definitely be my last ATI card ever. Useless company.

Evangir on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I was done with ATI after my old 9800. What a piece of shit.

zilo on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't decide if i like this or not.

I mean, its slick looking, action packed and all shooty, this is good right?

But it just kind of feels like i'm playing CoD1-3.

I guess i kind of wished the demo would be one of the cool looking stealthy missions, like on that ship, or in the long grass.

I didn't like this level atall.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    zilo wrote: »
    Yeah, I was done with ATI after my old 9800. What a piece of shit.

That's the weird thing though. I had nothing but issues with nVidia cards before. I picked up a 9600 with this computer, and it worked flawlessly (albeit slowly, since it was a mid-range card). It was perfectly stable. The X850 is another matter completely. Being a later model AGP card probably has something to do with it (in terms of both drivers and software; Bioshock won't even run on an X850 as far as I've seen, as an example).

So when I get my next PC (whenever that is :roll:), nVidia all the way :|

Evangir on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Speaking of the SP campaign, it frightens me that I'm hearing people compare it to CoD 2. I thought CoD 2 was some of the most frustratingly unfair single-player I've ever seen. But the multiplayer was so damn good.

I hated CoD 2's single player. Shotgun blasts to the chest, rifles through the head, even meelee from behind wasn't enough to kill enemies. It seemed I always had to take the second shot, even when the first should have been death.

I played this today, though, and it felt much better. When I got a headshot, they STAYED down. Some enemies would still sit and pistol me from the ground, but that's the ones I clipped in the leg while they were trying to hide.

My only complaint: Why can't I shoot blind around corners like the terrorists do?:(

Hevach on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hevach wrote: »

I hated CoD 2's single player. Shotgun blasts to the chest, rifles through the head, even meelee from behind wasn't enough to kill enemies. It seemed I always had to take the second shot, even when the first should have been death.

I played this today, though, and it felt much better. When I got a headshot, they STAYED down. Some enemies would still sit and pistol me from the ground, but that's the ones I clipped in the leg while they were trying to hide.

My only complaint: Why can't I shoot blind around corners like the terrorists do?:(

Cause only terrorists fight like that?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is THE illest demo I have played in many years of gaming. I have no money after halo 3, and part of me wishes I had waited for it, it seems promising. It seems like a completely intense, semi realistic warsim more than anything. Attention to detail = for the win.

Zolden on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The DirectX errors with this game are inexcusable. I've never had this much trouble just trying to change the resolution of a game.

Edit: Oh lord, after some more searching for a fix, I discovered this same DirectX issue was in CoD2. Terrible.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SP demo honestly seemed pretty fucking derivative to me. Like, still fun, but I had to ignore that it's basically CoD2 with modern skins and the exact same type of heavily scripted gameplay.

That said, the multiplayer beta was the best MP I've ever had on a console, also counting Halo 3, and I'm buying it on that strength alone (for the 360). The singleplayer is just a cherry on top for me.

Noray on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    News just in, OXM have awarded the game with a perfect 10 score. Halo 3 received a 9. Go figure.

Big Classy on