Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
I don't know if there's really any interest in this or not, but with the Orange box being released and everything I decided to put my Platinum Pack to good use and actually play Half-Life. See, my friends had all played it, and one of them got me this pack so I could play CounterStrike with them. I never actually got around to playing Half-Life itself.

This is my first run-through of Half-Life, and considering it will also be my first run-through of a Let's Play, I may be cheating my way through it if I start to have trouble. I don't want to keep dying or having to redo things because I'm trying to snap some good screens.

So let's begin!

First off, you can't just head off into a research facility without any training. So let's get that out of the way.

Training Course
Spoiler:

Anomalous Materials
Unforseen Consequences
Office Complex
We've Got Hostiles!
Blast Pit
Power Up!
On A Rail
Apprehension
Residue Processing
Questionable Ethics
Surface Tension
Forget About Freeman!
Lambda Core
Xen
Gonarch's Lair
Interloper
Nihilanth
End Game

VIDEO LP!
Thanks to MMAN for providing a video version!
Hazard Training Course
Black Mesa Inbound (TRAM RIDE! Weeee!!!)
Anomalous Materials
Unforseen Consequences
Office Complex
We've Got Hostiles
Blast Pit
Power Up!
On A Rail (Part 1)
On A Rail (Part 2)
Apprehension
Residue Processing
Questionable Ethics
Surface Tension (Part 1)
Surface Tension (Part 2)
Surface Tension (Part 3)
Forget About Freeman!
Lambda Core (Part 1)
Lambda Core (Part 2)

Xen
Gonarch's Lair
Interloper (Part 1)
Interloper (Part 2)
Nihilanth

Black Mesa Source Mod
Black Mesa Source
Also, apparently there is a mod group working on recreating all of Half-Life with HL2's graphics and the Source engine. Looks pretty sweet and I was asked to put the link in the OP.

ArcSyn on
steam_sig.png
Backloggery XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

GIFT GET GIFS

• brynstarbrynstar Registered User
    edited October 2007
    This is cool. With all the Orange Box Fever, I was actually thinking of doing this one myself. But you're doing really well, and I love the fact that it's your first time through the game. So, play on!

Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I'm not the only one who hasn't played Half-Life. I feel better about myself now.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's get this party started! (I'll put the new updates both in the OP and in a new post - this way you can just check the OP for the next section or the latest page/post)
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • Gear GirlGear Girl Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you happen to look left at the part right before the radiation leak when the tram pauses for a sec.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Uhh, I don't think so. Is that where there's another tram going the opposite direction and theres a couple scientists on it? I saw that, but wasn't really looking around.

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • Gear GirlGear Girl Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's just say the guy in the blueish suit is...significant...and he appears 8 times after that first encounter on the opposite direction tram. He is kinda an easter egg in a way I guess you could say. I took screenshots of all his sightings just for fun on my last playthrough. You can find a list of his appearences in half-life on wikipedia if you search for g-man but you will probably want to scroll down past the story crap fast so you don't spoil anything to "list of in-game appearances". You can either just find out directly where he will be or look only at the chapter names to see if you should be watching for him in a particular chapter..if you even care about that at all I don't know..but he's significant in half-life 2 and such so it's probably worth it to see the sightings just to say you did.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    Ah, I did see the guy in the suit. Didn't really sink in though. I also saw him shortly after where I stopped here (I've played a bit further ahead) on an upper level too.

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • TranceFreakTranceFreak Registered User
    edited October 2007
    Ahh...this brings back memories. Half-Life is my second favorite game next to Deus Ex. Good job!

• Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never really played through Half Life. I had it all these years, but only played a bit. I'm trying to play through for the first time now, too.

theincidentsig.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This reminds me I really, really need to finish HL1. My roommate tells me it's fucking awesome and worth playing through, I just never seem to get around to finishing it.

The farthest I've ever gotten before being distracted by another game is:
    Spoiler:

PIZTDhW.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, does anyone know how good the PS2 port of Half-Life was? I ask because I'm playing this now on my old labtop, and it's stuttering rather badly. I've got it down a bit to where it's playable, but it's really kind of annoying. I'd rather just find it and play it on the PS2 if the port isn't atrocious or anything.

theincidentsig.jpg
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User
    edited October 2007
    Because you made this topic, I know am thinking Valve should make HL1 into next-gen graphics and market it on Steam/DLC.

But I know that will never happen.

ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    I stopped playing at Xen, maybe I should go back and just finish it. How much more game is left after you get there?

idiot.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Because you made this topic, I know am thinking Valve should make HL1 into next-gen graphics and market it on Steam/DLC.

You may already be aware, but because it bears mentioning, let's not forget about the Black Mesa mod. Valve would probably do a better job, though.

PSN: Toids42
    steam_sig.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I stopped playing at Xen, maybe I should go back and just finish it. How much more game is left after you get there?

Not that much. A few jumping puzzles and a bossbattle with a huge testicle, and ultimately the giant baby with the exposed brain

t5qfc9.jpg
  • AbelsAbels Registered User
    edited October 2007
    If you haven't played Half-Life yet, do it now. It's been nine years since its release. You have no excuse.

Some whimps will complain about 5 minutes of jumping puzzles. CRY SOME MORE!

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

I know the news thing on the frontpage is old, but apparently it's actually still being worked on.

No release date as of yet, however.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    valve did a half assed attempt at renewing HL.

HL:Source.

I haven't actually played it though

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zzulu, I have played it and it's.... interesting. But for the sake of refreshing my memory, I'm reinstalling it as I post this. (I actually just clicked 'install' seconds befor entering this thread.)
    Freaky.

camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Awesome. I totally forgot the second chapter was called "Unforeseen Consequences."

BoCSig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I'll post a couple shots of the same sequences in the OP to compare the Source version to the regular one. I doubt there'd be much difference.

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2007
    Why would there be? All they added was ragdoll and SOME physics.

BoCSig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Darn, you're right.

camo_sig2.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Remington wrote: »

What that game really needed was the high def pack.

It could have looked so good, with a little more effort.

Automasig.jpg
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Darlan wrote: »

You may already be aware, but because it bears mentioning, let's not forget about the Black Mesa mod. Valve would probably do a better job, though.

Considering Valve's idea of an HL1 remake was HL:S, I think I'll disagree on that point.

vvvvvv-dithw.png
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised that they went through the trouble of source-i-fying it without adding the high def pack. But eh, it's not like I havent played the game 30 times.

BoCSig.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Darlan wrote: »

well Valve may be more likely to get it finished, since they have money and could afford to do it full time, but i think the job these guys are doing, from what i've seen, looks pretty damned good.

• -smash-smash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised that they went through the trouble of source-i-fying it without adding the high def pack. But eh, it's not like I havent played the game 30 times.

From what I understand, Valve did Half-Life:Source primarily to get an idea of how difficult it would be for mod developers to modernize their work to the Source engine, which would explain it somewhat.

edited October 2007
    I'm gonna play through this now and I won't buy The Orange Box til I've completed this. I already have and played HL2 on the PC but still........

camo_sig2.png
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User
    edited October 2007

Don't forget the fancy water effects...which don't really come up that often.

The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Awesome OP!! I can't believe no one has commented on it yet.

I beat HL Source this summer and I became so bored of the game later on that I had to manipulate gravity in the developer's console to continue playing. It didn't age well for me, but apparently no one else has a problem with it.

It was so bad for me, in fact, I had to install the updated graphics patch created by the community. It updated the textures and models, and most importantly.. the weapons! The MP5/203 was replaced with an M16/203, for example. It was just a ton more fun to play.

• WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Don't forget the fancy water effects...which don't really come up that often.

and look weird next to shitty low res textures

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited October 2007
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Awesome OP!! I can't believe no one has commented on it yet.

I beat HL Source this summer and I became so bored of the game later on that I had to manipulate gravity in the developer's console to continue playing. It didn't age well for me, but apparently no one else has a problem with it.

It was so bad for me, in fact, I had to install the updated graphics patch created by the community. It updated the textures and models, and most importantly.. the weapons! The MP5/203 was replaced with an M16/203, for example. It was just a ton more fun to play.

care to share a link? I seem to find the the game bland as it is. I'm just so spoilt.

camo_sig2.png
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    speaking of black mesa revisted, I was so looking forward to Nightwatch. looked amazing

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a 5 hour airboat section in this one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User
    edited October 2007
    ArcSyn, great job on the latest update. I'm looking forward to more of them!

I'm playing through HL2 on the 360 right now and really enjoying it. The vehicle sections especially handle really well with a pad.

Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    ArcSyn, great job on the latest update. I'm looking forward to more of them!

I'm playing through HL2 on the 360 right now and really enjoying it. The vehicle sections especially handle really well with a pad.

I've always liked the vehicle sections in the PC version. The awesome airboat section, the drive on the beach in the buggy, and in the car thing in Ep. 2.

PIZTDhW.jpg
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes, I too enjoy the vehicle sections. Highway 17 is one of my favorite levels of HL2.

edited October 2007
    Working on getting screen caps for the next section. Unfortunately it's a really long section of just getting around and not much of anything in story/action (I actually just got to a big shootout area, but I have to stop for a bit). I'll probably just keep going until I hit something big and skip over a bunch of the boring stuff.

steam_sig.png

GIFT GET GIFS
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, does anyone know how good the PS2 port of Half-Life was? I ask because I'm playing this now on my old labtop, and it's stuttering rather badly. I've got it down a bit to where it's playable, but it's really kind of annoying. I'd rather just find it and play it on the PS2 if the port isn't atrocious or anything.

The PS2 port is incredible. It has weapons and models of higher quality than the HD Pack, controls well with the Dual Shock (which will probably be the only real barrier if you're primarily a PC gamer), and has a fun co-op sidestory as well. You can play the co-op story (Decay) split screen with someone, or you can play it by yourself, switching back and forth between the two female scientists (who took the suits next to yours, which are a lovely shade of red and grey).

I need to get some of the HL games sometime soon. I've played through the main game, and I played through Blue Shift (but BS it was on the DC so it would crash a lot), but I haven't played Opposing Force and I get a hankering for some classic HL every so often. My "Killer Gaming Rig" (Pentium 3 500MHz, 384MB RAM, 16MB ATi RageII) is more than sufficient.