As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I know that.
    I get that the second last one was a giant headcrab.
    What was the last one?

That was the Nihilanth. Kind of the leader of the intelligent Xen aliens, and the guy trying to invade Earth.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?
    Nihla...whatever his name is, was likely the Vortigaunt leader, and enslaved by the Combine. Possibly mutated by the Combine as well.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MMAN wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    MMAN, if you want to do video versions go right ahead. I just don't have the setup for it or time for it so screenshots are much easier for me.

I'll even add them to the OP if you PM the links to me as you do them (post them in the thread too so people see it move up).

Thanks, do you mind if I go on ahead of you, or would you prefer me to follow you in terms of progress (I should note I'll probably reveal some spoilers in my comments, but I can always spoiler tag them)?

Go right on ahead. I'm stuck at a pretty limited pace with a short time each night to work on it, so I don't want to hold anyone else up if they want to breeze right through it. If you have the time, go right on ahead! I'll add this first one to the OP.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I just finished HL1 for the first time.
    I have just one thing to say.
    What the fuck was with the last two bosses?
    O_o
    What you don't like testicle spiders and fetus..flower..squid..type things?
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

That was the Nihilanth. Kind of the leader of the intelligent Xen aliens, and the guy trying to invade Earth.
    Not that he is actually doing it under his own will.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    This thread kind of fails pretty hard at the funny

Yeah, I'm no comedian (though I try to at least keep it from being absolutely boring) and after I lost 2 sections of screenshots I just wanted to upload something and be done with it for tonight.....

Should I get more time tomorrow I'll get a better quality update.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As a free HL2 recipient from the Orange Box gifting thread I fully endorse this venture! It will be nice to know what the hell is going on as HL2 really doesn't explain it much unless I missed some intro sequence.

The narrative method of the HL series is very subtle in general. Very little of the story is directly presented in-game... you have to pay close attention or you miss huge swaths of the backstory.

A lot of it is explained more directly here, but I wouldn't recommend reading it past wherever you are in the series right now (you started with HL2, so up to 1.5 in the timeline would all be good things to know). It will spoil the game for you so hard.

Okay, he removed some of the totally wrong stuff but it's stiff mostly speculation and his ideas on the G-Man are boring and mundane and just plain dumb.

august on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    I know that.
    What was the last one?
    Nihla...whatever his name is, was likely the Vortigaunt leader, and enslaved by the Combine. Possibly mutated by the Combine as well.
    According to Marc Laidlaw, he wasn't enslaved by the Combine. Some of his predacessor's might have been, but that particular Nihilanth was the last holdout from a long, drawn-out war.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?
    According to Marc Laidlaw, he wasn't enslaved by the Combine. Some of his predacessor's might have been, but that particular Nihilanth was the last holdout from a long, drawn-out war.

Ah, so more of a Breen guy, but for the Vorts.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

Breen was kind of a puppet, so... no not really.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    As a free HL2 recipient from the Orange Box gifting thread I fully endorse this venture! It will be nice to know what the hell is going on as HL2 really doesn't explain it much unless I missed some intro sequence.

The narrative method of the HL series is very subtle in general. Very little of the story is directly presented in-game... you have to pay close attention or you miss huge swaths of the backstory.

A lot of it is explained more directly here, but I wouldn't recommend reading it past wherever you are in the series right now (you started with HL2, so up to 1.5 in the timeline would all be good things to know). It will spoil the game for you so hard.

Okay, he removed some of the totally wrong stuff but it's stiff mostly speculation and his ideas on the G-Man are boring and mundane and just plain dumb.

Yeah, he still has some incorrect information (with the revelation from HL2.2). He is going to update it soon, but it is mostly still speculation.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

Ah, I misread that as "not enslaved" meaning he was doing it of his own will.

But if he was never enslaved, why does he have shackles?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

I always saw him as an escaped slave. Kind of like a world-conquering fetus squid magic spartacus.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

Hell if I know. E-mail Laidlaw and ask him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

I always saw him as an escaped slave. Kind of like a world-conquering fetus squid magic spartacus.

hmm yes indeed

august on
  • Options
    MMANMMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Go right on ahead. I'm stuck at a pretty limited pace with a short time each night to work on it, so I don't want to hold anyone else up if they want to breeze right through it. If you have the time, go right on ahead! I'll add this first one to the OP.

Shouldn't there be a note of what chapter each video is (I'll keep the names out of tags, with the possible exception of a couple towards the end that could be considered a bit of a spoiler)?

I've done Black Mesa Inbound and Anomalous Materials. I did them both in one video but had to split it for Dailymotion. I'm pretty sure I got all the optional screwing around here (as well as sights at the tram part). Although it'll be nice to get to the actual gameplay part, as the intro sections get a little old when you've been through the game several times.

http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/x383o7_halflife-video-playthrough-introano (there's a few seconds at the start from a deleted attempt, not that it matters much)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/x38417_halflife-video-playthrough-anomalou

MMAN on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

Exactly. He also repeats the line
    "their slaves... we are their slaves... we are..."
    during the last battle, among other things.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

Does he though? I don't think I've actually heard that in-game in the 20+ playthroughs I've done of Half-Life. I've only ever heard it while browsing the .pak files.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Since this is now the pseudo-Half Life, Half Life 2 thread, I might as give my impressions.

I could never complete Half Life, for some reason, I think I was too scared or something.

Now I just completed HL2 and the two episodes, what I think? I think they are immensely overrated, and alot of the plot devices just don't make alot of sense. Sure, there are some pretty intense parts, but alot of times it felt like the developers were trying too hard to squeeze in puzzles and put in cheap headcrab zombie scares. It wasn't overly difficult, but times when they hid the zombies in some dark corner, it's just cheap, emotionally speaking. [Honestly, how does a zombie go undetected in a Combine filled place?]

However, HL2's still pretty good even with all the flaws, some puzzles were pretty ingenious, the sections that were intense were awesome, Ravenholme was a nice change of pace, but it isn't game of the year material. At least not for me.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Since this is now the pseudo-Half Life, Half Life 2 thread, I might as give my impressions.

I could never complete Half Life, for some reason, I think I was too scared or something.

Now I just completed HL2 and the two episodes, what I think? I think they are immensely overrated, and alot of the plot devices just don't make alot of sense. Sure, there are some pretty intense parts, but alot of times it felt like the developers were trying too hard to squeeze in puzzles and put in cheap headcrab zombie scares. It wasn't overly difficult, but times when they hid the zombies in some dark corner, it's just cheap, emotionally speaking. [Honestly, how does a zombie go undetected in a Combine filled place?]

However, HL2's still pretty good even with all the flaws, some puzzles were pretty ingenious, the sections that were intense were awesome, Ravenholme was a nice change of pace, but it isn't game of the year material. At least not for me.

ur overrated.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ur overrated.
    ur underrated.

oh wait.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How do I change the thread title? I didn't see the option while editing the OP.. I wanted it to reflect the new updates.
    /edit: I figured it out.

Escape from the Labs (Unforseen Consequences part deux):
    I had the next two sections done, and then I went to my screenshot dump folder and NOTHING was there.... Turns out my screenshot program wasn't running when I thought it was.. Ugh. Hopefully I'll get it done again tomorrow, but I couldn't leave you guys 3 days with nothing, so I put up what I had from before.

Just a note to say I'm totally enjoying this. :^:

I bought HL2 for my PC about a year ago, played through it, toyed with the idea of playing through HL1 (had never been through it), but never got around to it. I live vicariously through the efforts of others! Hoo yah!

Keep it up! Looking forward to more updates!

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know that.
    What was the last one?

Does he though? I don't think I've actually heard that in-game in the 20+ playthroughs I've done of Half-Life. I've only ever heard it while browsing the .pak files.
    Back in the day, after I heard about him supposedly saying it, I was skeptical and decided to see for myself by playing the ending again. It's definitely one of the things he repeats over and over.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    MMAN wrote: »

Shouldn't there be a note of what chapter each video is (I'll keep the names out of tags, with the possible exception of a couple towards the end that could be considered a bit of a spoiler)?

I've done Black Mesa Inbound and Anomalous Materials. I did them both in one video but had to split it for Dailymotion. I'm pretty sure I got all the optional screwing around here (as well as sights at the tram part). Although it'll be nice to get to the actual gameplay part, as the intro sections get a little old when you've been through the game several times.

http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/x383o7_halflife-video-playthrough-introano (there's a few seconds at the start from a deleted attempt, not that it matters much)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/x38417_halflife-video-playthrough-anomalou

Added videos (and titles) to the OP. If you want a particular title on a section just include it in your post and I'll use that.
    elizabex wrote:
    ArcSyn wrote:
    How do I change the thread title? I didn't see the option while editing the OP.. I wanted it to reflect the new updates.
    /edit: I figured it out.

Escape from the Labs (Unforseen Consequences part deux):
    I had the next two sections done, and then I went to my screenshot dump folder and NOTHING was there.... Turns out my screenshot program wasn't running when I thought it was.. Ugh. Hopefully I'll get it done again tomorrow, but I couldn't leave you guys 3 days with nothing, so I put up what I had from before.
    Just a note to say I'm totally enjoying this.

I bought HL2 for my PC about a year ago, played through it, toyed with the idea of playing through HL1 (had never been through it), but never got around to it. I live vicariously through the efforts of others! Hoo yah!

Keep it up! Looking forward to more updates!

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to get another update up tonight. My daughter has a Dr. appt. at 5 but once I get home from that I should get some free time.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Undead Scottsman, are you sure Mr. Laidaw said that he was never enslaved? Was it in an interview or something?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FINALLY! I got through far enough to shoot something other than a zombie. Marines. Hardy fellows ain't they?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I love the Marine AI.

I remember when I first played it, there were a couple situations in which they set up clever scenarios for me.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like stand next to the silver barrels with yellow danger symbols on them? Yeah, I got that too. Although to be fair they are pretty lethal and if you're not prepared you could have your tush full of shrapnel.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah. By modern standards the AI is pretty rudimentary. But if memory serves, it was quite good for the time.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, at the time AI consisted of running up clawing you or shooting you.

august on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Pacing? Like spending a half hour dragging two objects across the sand so I could walk on top of them?

That's funny, because I did that part in less than 10 minutes.

2 minutes is too long.

I loved that part.

Antlions were new, and really fucking scary at first. So the thought of fucking it up made the steady construction of a walk-way very tense.

For me at least.

Ok, what the hell are you guys talking about? I never spent no time dragging shit across the sand.

shryke on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Pacing? Like spending a half hour dragging two objects across the sand so I could walk on top of them?

2 minutes is too long.

I loved that part.

Antlions were new, and really fucking scary at first. So the thought of fucking it up made the steady construction of a walk-way very tense.

For me at least.

Ok, what the hell are you guys talking about? I never spent no time dragging shit across the sand.

They're talking about the part where you're walking along the beach where the antlions are and you can make a path of various objects over the sand to avoid pissing off the antlions. Or, you can jsut run for it, since antlions are really easy to kill or outrun over short distances. That's what I always did.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

2 minutes is too long.

I loved that part.

For me at least.

They're talking about the part where you're walking along the beach where the antlions are and you can make a path of various objects over the sand to avoid pissing off the antlions. Or, you can jsut run for it, since antlions are really easy to kill or outrun over short distances. That's what I always did.

You can also climb up and jump over most of the sandy parts.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    but you can get an achievement now for not touching the sand.

on the 360 anyways

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No, they would have squad based movements and tactics in which they would take cover behind objects and run around obstacles to trick or surprise you.

The AI for soldiers in HL was not simply "run and attack you." They did all sorts of neat things.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No, they would have squad based movements and tactics in which they would take cover behind objects and run around obstacles to trick or surprise you.

The AI for soldiers in HL was not simply "run and attack you." They did all sorts of neat things.

Yeah, I know. That's why the AI was good for the time.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Oh, I thought you were saying that the HL AI only did that. My mistake.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Oh, I thought you were saying that the HL AI only did that. My mistake.

I just remember the first time I saw a marine duck behind an obstacle and lob a grenade. It freaked me out a great deal because it seemed so unusual.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ScottieBoyScottieBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, about how long does it take to beat HL1? I recently bought Orange Box and I want to beat HL1, but man, HL2 sure looks pretty.

ScottieBoy on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ScottieBoy wrote: »
    So, about how long does it take to beat HL1? I recently bought Orange Box and I want to beat HL1, but man, HL2 sure looks pretty.

Edited: 15-20

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Im going to wager more of 20+ hours for someone who has never played Half-Life before.

But hell if I remember how long it took me accurately.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread