As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10/20 Update: Finally I finished it!!

MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Artist's Corner
EDIT: Rather than start a new thread to show off a piece Ive already posted here in various formats, I figure I'd just re-edit the title name and sucker ya'll back into this one. Anyways, heres my finished (finally) piece of what started as a brief concept sketch.

Crimson_Along_the_Ivory_by_AdventDawn.jpg

First I began with a simple sketch from long ago
pre_sketch_turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Then I smudged it into this
Turel_WIP_by_AdventDawn.png

Got some tips from you guys...then practice practice practice.....
Turel_WIP_base_figure_complete_by_AdventDawn.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
Mykonos on

• Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like it.

Johannen on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    night and day

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Much improved, but don't do a full character drawing without any background! You should at least put a neutral tone as a backdrop while you flesh him out, having pure white is gonna throw your lighting and contrast off something fierce.

Really what you want to do is have enough rough background on there to give you an idea of the light/dark composition and the lighting, THEN you start working your character into it. Doing it the other way around will mean a lot of headaches trying to get your character's lighting and your background to sync up.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Much improved, but don't do a full character drawing without any background! You should at least put a neutral tone as a backdrop while you flesh him out, having pure white is gonna throw your lighting and contrast off something fierce.

You know that's funny you say that because I was really experience a problem with that, especially when I was working on his abs. There were parts where I thought were brightly hilighted, when infact they were erased! I ended up adding a layer beneath, and added light shades of brown behind to figure out what was going on with the outline. I then painted over it with the white.

I hope to work on a proper background soon, possibly a factory or something. Does anyone have any tips? I'm kinda intimidated.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A room filled with trophies taken from his victims.

MKR on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it looks like the back of his head is missing o_O

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i could be wrong but i don't think thats cell shading..i think thats closer to vector? i think the textures on the clothes and bg don't blend well with the flat style.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i could be wrong but i don't think thats cell shading..i think thats closer to vector? i think the textures on the clothes and bg don't blend well with the flat style.

Yeah that was definitely a concern of mine long before I posted it. It was intended as another experimental piece, just playing around with the filters and what not, till I tried cut out and thought 'hey, this looks pretty cool!" and just messed around from there, totally forgetting about the consistency with the textures.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The text looks way too sharp compared to the rest of the image. Also, say "no" to texture filters.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The text looks way too sharp compared to the rest of the image. Also, say "no" to texture filters.

I never really liked using the texture filters, but I couldn't find a more efficient way of creating a the same (albiet better) effect. Any suggestions?

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No, sorry. But this board is full of incredible artists, I'm sure one of them can share their texture building insight with you.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Ninja-botNinja-bot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Spinning the record around one more time: ICK to texture filters. It flattens things out in the most wrong way possible.

The After/Before sketch below it, the after specifically, is keeeen, though.

Ninja-bot on
    siggraphic.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    you can find photos on-line of textures. import them into photoshop.
    then you can put the texture pic over yours and set to overlay. or just play with the opacity. then delete the areas you don't want. it can be very effective if used and blended well.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    IHere's a teaser sketch of my next upcoming piece:

Roland_WIP_by_AdventDawn.jpg

and one that will eventually finish up sooner or later

Egregories_of_Unit_Epsilon_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Love the wallpaper, dude. Looking forward to seeing the new picture when it's finished, too. :3

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks Goatman, I can't wait to show you! Hopefully I'll be able to make a new proper art dump within two weeks or so, depending how much I can get done.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Here's that one pic with some recent adjustments

MINE_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]