Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[AoC] Their priests fell by the sword, and their widows made no lamentation

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I haven't paid too much attention to this game over the months, but I was under the impression that formations provided tangible, important benefits, like players in a formation do a ton more damage, or move faster, or recover endurance faster or something

I thought this was what was going to encourage players to use the formations, because formations made you fucking kick ass

Am I wrong? Did they get more complicated while I was paying attention to other games?

There are formations that provide tangible benefits when used; what they are, what they give and how they are utilized are all still under wraps. Anything we've read about it other that it does, in fact, exist is rumors or unconfirmable NDA breakage.

And lets not forget the other benefit of formations. They allow you to protect your healing dudes. Having a wall of warriors around the guy or guys healing would be a noticeable advantage.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh my good god.

They really have done a lot with the animations.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • girlgamer23girlgamer23 Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh my good god.

They really have done a lot with the animations.
    they are nice but the humans still have that plastic eq 2 look to them

edited December 2007
    Yeah, they do a bit. At least it's not nearly as bad as it looked in EQ2, but hopefully they can iron it out some before release.

afaossig.jpg~original
    edited December 2007
    They just released new information on mounts. There are a large variety of mounts, ranging from horses to mammoths to rhinos. Each behave differently. Horses are very fast, and turn quickly, while a mammoth takes time to accelerate and decelerate and wheels around slowly.

You can fight while mounted, but if you die, your mount dies with you, and if your mount dies, you die too. Slower mounts like the mammoth have lots of health, give you a health bonus, and have their own powerful attacks like goring people on their tusks.

While mounted on a horse you do more damage the faster you are moving. If you swing too soon or too late as you ride by, you'll miss, and will have to wheel back again for another pass.

I can definitely see a 1 on 1 between a mounted and guy on foot quickly turning into that classic movie stereotype.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are mounts permanent or am I going to have to find a new one after they die every battle?

This is important

7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    edited December 2007
    It doesn't say. But I'm assuming either they don't die permanently, or they are very inexpensive if they do.

My guess is they don't die permanently though, because then you can't have a trusted and loyal steed.

afaossig.jpg~original
    edited December 2007
    How are people not super excited about this game?

Just look at this fucking combat and atmosphere.

Look at the knife in the back of that guys neck.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I call a mammoth, or a bear. I'd really love to set up some kind of bear cavalry.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited December 2007
    I would have never guessed that you would enjoy the concept of bear cavalry from your avatar or signature, good sir.

Bear cavalry would be awesome though. I mean, who do you attack? The bear or the rider? And in that moment of indecision is when you are dashed upon the rocks.

afaossig.jpg~original
    edited December 2007
    I need to find that Russian bear cavalry picture again...

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Bear cavalry would be awesome though. I mean, who do you attack? The bear or the rider? And in that moment of indecision is when you are dashed upon the rocks.

Yourself--that's the only way to avoid the subsequent mauling/painful death.

edited December 2007
    I need to find that Russian bear cavalry picture again...

This one?

bear_calvary.jpg

edited December 2007
    That's awesome.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been reading a lot of Howard lately.

It makes me want to play this more. Probably while drunk.

snm_sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot of Howard lately.

It makes me want to play this more. Probably while drunk.

Preferably get yourself and your character drunk at the same time.

Then have a bar fight.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This games features sound just fantastic. I'm not sure I'm feeling the look of the game just yet though. But I've alwas wanted a PvP centric game with better combat like they are describing in Conan.

It'll be interesting to see how it'll turn out

t5qfc9.jpg
    edited December 2007
    The graphics seem to get better with every new video they release. Though, sometimes it does look a little bit Everquest 2-ish.

But come on, you can't tell me that area with those statues with blood pouring out of their mouths into their hands doesn't look awesome.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    edited December 2007
    Holy crap. Has anyone else seen the siege video?

edit- Also, MOTHER FUCKING WHOLLY MAMMOTH mounts can be used to knock down walls!

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Who is developing this and where are their accents from? Are they German or Northern Europe or what?

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    edited December 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Who is developing this and where are their accents from? Are they German or Northern Europe or what?

Funcom is the dev and they Norwegian.

edited December 2007
    Am I the only person who thinks that the mercenary mechanic is like, the coolest fucking thing ever?

edited December 2007
    Mercenaries sounds awesome. Watching that video uncovered how deep in my soul I truly want this game. I WANT TO DO THAT NOW! I'm gonna go preorder.

Edit: 9 keeps per server!?!??!! OMG THAT MEANS I CAN BE SPECIAL. I'm double preordering it.

edited December 2007
    Sorry for the double post but it seemed appropriate. I would really like to make a guild/community for this game and was wondering who would be interested in collaborating with me. I'm looking for names through the penny arcade archive as we speak :P

edited December 2007
    I was thinking about making a guild as well, but then remembered my complete and total lack of ambition.

That said, I'll join!

edited December 2007
    I'll talk to my brother about webhosting after I see how much interest there is.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    On the one hand, I'm starting to look forward to this. On the other, I'm already in a WAR pre-game guild. I don't know if I can handle that much anticipating.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    edited December 2007
    I can handle SO much anticipating. I'm in our resident WAR guild, TSM, as well. I am an anticipating MACHINE!

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd definitely like to see the Arcadians have one of those keeps.

edited December 2007
    And so far The Arcadians is the only name in the running. Even if you don't want to join, help with a badass name!

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    P... Penny Arcadians?

t5qfc9.jpg
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh damn, I was looking through old comics. The people in that car game need to name their guild "Gabir Motors". I 'm a looking.

edited December 2007
    What's awesome is that we can all play whatever race we want, and still guild up all the same. The game has no pre-built factions.

afaossig.jpg~original
    edited December 2007
    The Barbaric Linguists?

its funny because its impossible

edited December 2007
    Man, I hope I can make a fat character. I was the biggest, tallest, ugliest guardian that the game will let me make.

afaossig.jpg~original
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am totally in.

I want to make an awesome Aquilonian guy. Or maybe a stygian corpse-fucking snake lover.

reposig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    I'm kinda tempted to make a bear shaman. Or maybe a barbarian name K0n4n like everyone else!

edited December 2007
    I'm kinda tempted to make a bear shaman. Or maybe a barbarian name K0n4n like everyone else!

I was thinking of Bear Shaman or Lich, leaning on the shaman for m4d h34l1ngz.

But, then again, Lich. Games always have Warlock, or Shadow Mage but never a true Lich.

But, then again, just about everyone and their mums will have a lich.

edited December 2007
    Nah, from the polls they have taken on their website, every class has about the same amount of people saying they will play it, with I think barbarian, ranger, guardian and assassin having one or two percent more.

Remember, arcane magic in conan is evil. And you must be of the "evil" stygian race to be a spell caster. People tend to like to be the good guys, so, you won't have to worry about their being a ton of liches running about, probably.

afaossig.jpg~original
This discussion has been closed.