As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone doesn't work like iPod? [SOLVED - begrudgingly]

GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi everyone. I got myself an iPhone and with the way it shows up exactly like an iPod does in iTunes, as well as it having an iPod function, I am expecting it to function like an iPod. Maybe I am off-base here.

When you take an iPod to another computer, it shows up as a guest and you can copy individual files to it manually by dragging them from the host library to the iPod under "devices." I am trying to do this with iPhone but it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong or has the behavior I am expecting been disabled? I keep two music libraries, one at work and one at home.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
Gihgehls on

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't have an iPhone, but the type of behaviour you describe certainly falls under the hat of something I would guess is disabled (ie. it sounds like the iPods shouldn't really do it either).

Is it a case of you trying to get songs from work home, or that you want different songs to actually listen to when you go home? If the former, can you enable disk use on an iPhone and copy them over that way?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you can't do it on the iPhone.

What you are describing is the "Manage music manually" feature that is *not* enabled by default on any iPod, but exists. the iPhone does not have that feature at all.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, you cannot do that on an iPhone. You can't use it as a mountable drive either.

powerss on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    powerss wrote: »
    Yeah, you cannot do that on an iPhone. You can't use it as a mountable drive either.

That's major suck.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    powerss wrote: »

That's major suck.

It is sucky. I also think it is somewhat disingenuous for Apple to say"iPod has these features; iPhone is also an iPod; iPhone doesn't do what iPod does."

Oh well, not a huge deal but definitely unexpected. I'll mark this one solved.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, unfortunately you'll need to make tons of annoying playlists. Sorry.

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.