As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gay epithets in Penny Arcade

kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Gabe and Tycho,
I just found your comic strip. At first I loved it. In fact, I thought I had found a new home. Your writing and commentary on the shared experiences of gamers gave me a sense of belonging, but then I continued to read your strip and saw instances where the two of you used “gay”, “queer”, “homo” and similar epithets in your writing. That’s not uncommon, but most writers include a foil – some character that puts the joke in perspective. Since you don’t do that, I doubted my first impression about you.
Me: I am a gamer. And I am a gay gamer, too. I would like to think I am simply ignored by developers and players, but in order to be ignored, my existence would have to first be acknowledged. I play the same video games you guys do – I face the same challenges and meet the same fictional characters. Despite that, I am not accepted into your group.
If you want to be a truly brilliant comic, stick to what makes your fans laugh – the bizarre world of gaming. Trash-talking is part of that world, but you don’t need to use epithets. X-Play’s “It Came from X-Box Live” segment does a great job of spoofing smack-talk. Most of the actual dialog is bleeped – maybe that’s why it’s so funny.
To sum up – I really want to like Penny Arcade – it’s made me laugh at myself. But after reading back through it a couple of years, I realize that even in the sub-culture of gamers there are cliques and places guarded by velvet ropes.

Last word: In your lifetime, at least one friend you have is gay/lesbian. If you never hear about it, it’s probably because they don’t trust you. Stand up for them because being neutral about an issue doesn’t help.

kongpl8 on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    If you want to be a truly brilliant comic, stick to what makes your fans laugh

Making fun of gays makes us laugh.

_J_ on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    lol

Sam on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't understand nor buy this sectionalism.

Be a gamer. Great. You're with us.

I don't see what orientation has to do with a hobby like this to be blunt

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Why?

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    If you want to be a truly brilliant comic, stick to what makes your fans laugh

Making fun of gays makes us laugh.

perhaps I should salmon this quote? :winky:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    uhg, this yeah... uhg

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You do realize they dont read the forums right?

seanc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Did you read my post? I just told you what being gay (not an orientation) has to do with it.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The use of words in an atrophied sense does not equate to persecution. If Gabe and Tycho hated gays, we wouldn't have as many of them floating around the forums as we do.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Of course they don't. I was being cathartic.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    An epithet hurts people. It may not hurt you, but it hurts someone. That's why it's called an epithet.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    as far as i know, tycho and gabe hardly ever read the forums. send them an email if it really distresses you.

edit: beat'd

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    X-Play’s “It Came from X-Box Live” segment does a great job of spoofing smack-talk. Most of the actual dialog is bleeped – maybe that’s why it’s so funny.

Here's the real problem, folks. kong things X-play is funny.

_J_ on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For the most part, I think most of the gay-"bashing" comes from Gabe's character, who is consistently shown to be the stupid one. Putting ignorant speech in the mouth of a stupid character does not validate the stupid speech - quite the opposite, in fact. Kind of like in "Chasing Amy" when Jason Lee's character says that all every lesbian needs is "a good deep-dicking."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    An epithet hurts people. It may not hurt you, but it hurts someone. That's why it's called an epithet.

Yeah, I get that. But the fact that it hurts you does not mean you're being persecuted.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Church wrote: »

Yeah, I get that. But the fact that it hurts you does not mean you're being persecuted.

Or that other homosexuals lack a sense of humor.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    J, you're not helping, God damnit.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Good luck with this line of logic, while I agree with it and it is the correct one I really must say good luck.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I didn't write that I was being persecuted. I said that even in the sub-culture of gamers there are cliques.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you read my post? I just told you what being gay (not an orientation) has to do with it.

I did, but by starting your post "Gabe and Tycho" I assumed that they where your target audience. If you really want them to know what you think I would email them.

seanc on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Or that other homosexuals lack a sense of humor.

Oh god don't be ignorant now

Plus everyone knows all gay guys are very witty and sharp

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    NOR wrote: »

Good luck with this line of logic, while I agree with it and it is the correct one I really must say good luck.

I am ever the diplomat. It is my gift and my curse.

Kong: If you know they don't care about your sexual orientation, what is the concern?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »
    as far as i know, tycho and gabe hardly ever read the forums. send them an email if it really distresses you.

edit: beat'd

Thanks for the advice, but as I wrote previously, I was being cathartic. I don't care if the writers read my post or not.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When?

I really can't remember them using any sort of gay epithets.

Do you have links to the strip so I could understand exactly what you're talking about?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    For the most part, I think most of the gay-"bashing" comes from Gabe's character, who is consistently shown to be the stupid one.

He's also been shown to be the one who wants to have sex with Spiderman.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    When?

Do you have links to the strip so I could understand exactly what you're talking about?

If I recall correctly, it's pretty much exactly as he describes it.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Kong: If you know they don't care about your sexual orientation, what is the concern?

I wrote in my first post that there are cliques in gaming. I was expressing my disappointment.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2007

I wrote in my first post that there are cliques in gaming. I was expressing my disappointment.

there are cliques in everything. I don't know why you expected different.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    For the most part, I think most of the gay-"bashing" comes from Gabe's character, who is consistently shown to be the stupid one.

Yeah, I think scenes like that are hilarious. But an epithet is not funny.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes. And you really have yet to demonstrate how their using a word which has very nearly come to be completely disassociated with homosexuality, although I think it's still fair to find it insulting, constitutes cliques that wont let homosexuals play ball with them. virtual video game ball.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You do realize that homoeroticism fuels a good bit of the interplay and humor, right? Not to mention the inanity of actually being offended by epithets that aren't being directed at you personally. Even then it's rather idiotic to be pissed off at being called gay by a jackass rather than just being pissed at the jackass.

moniker on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When?

If I recall correctly, it's pretty much exactly as he describes it.

... Describes it where?

He says "uses gay epithets", lists some, and then nothing.

I mean, okay. But I can't for the life of me remember the context...

One of the grammar buddies comics?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

So your disappointment really has nothing to do with the comic.

You were reminded of the prescence of bigots in the world and... Uh... Either your train of thought got de-railed at that point, or I just lost it completely.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I think scenes like that are hilarious. But an epithet is not funny.

Could you link one?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I didn't expect it to be different. I am griping about a facet of Penny Arcade.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Make less sense.

Seriously. I'm trying to be understanding. It is my nature. But you have to meet me half-way.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The existence of which you've yet to support with evidence.

_J_ on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

The characters, especially Gabe, is intollerant.

The creators are decidedly NOT intollerant.

Are you upset at -fictional characters-?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You were reminded of the prescence of bigots in the world and... Uh... Either your train of thought got de-railed at that point, or I just lost it completely.

Geez, did you read my post? ...To sum up – I really want to like Penny Arcade – it’s made me laugh at myself. But after reading back through it a couple of years, I realize that even in the sub-culture of gamers there are cliques and places guarded by velvet ropes.

kongpl8 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Geez, did you read my post? ...To sum up – I really want to like Penny Arcade – it’s made me laugh at myself. But after reading back through it a couple of years, I realize that even in the sub-culture of gamers there are cliques and places guarded by velvet ropes.

Yeah, I saw that. Repeating it doesn't serve to clarify the intent or meaning behind it.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.