As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gay epithets in Penny Arcade

• ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    The three years I spent in prison, I was never allowed to use the N word. I was also not "allowed" to convert to Islam because it "belonged" to the blacks in prison. Ghettoes exist whether you like it or not. The fact that you don't like ghettoes just suggests that you are one of the comfortable majority that doesn't understand minority struggles.

Because prison and not-prison are the exact same thing.

Especially outside of actual ghettos.

Seriously dude, move to a more liberal area.

For the third time, we agree completely.

I feel a great disturbance in the Force.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Do you paint naked men?

Duh. Did you go to the link in my profile?

no, but i can't wait.

let me warm up some vasoline first

Zonkytonkman on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

Do you paint naked men?

no, but i can't wait.

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

Just, wow.

Medopine on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    Prohass wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    First, being gay is not an orientation.

That's...that's a weird thing to say.

I...I want to know if you're actually saying that being gay is a choice, but at the same time I've already expressed my horror at the prospect.

I know what you proffer is madness, and yet I am drawn inexplicably to it.

Are...are you Cthulu?

I spit my milk through my nose at his, for serious.

I was pretty proud of it. I'm glad someone noticed.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kong8?
    6322.jpg

"Lester is quietly approached in his garage while working out by a distraught Col. Fitts, who has been out in the rain. Lester attempts to comfort Col. Fitts who kisses him, believing him to be a homosexual based on what he had seen earlier. Despite his homophobia, Fitts is revealed to be a closeted gay man. Lester rejects this advance calmly as a misunderstanding, and Fitts leaves, humiliated."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beauty_film

Dhalphir on
    edited October 2007
    Medopine wrote: »

Do you paint naked men?

no, but i can't wait.

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

Just, wow.

it's not working for me

boo

and i was lubed and tubed

Zonkytonkman on
  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    From my memory, this comic only really ever uses 'gay' or 'fag' in the context of making fun of the state of online play. As in if Gabe or Tycho was playing Xbox Live, they might make a comic about how someone will call them a "mexican jew fag" or some other nonsensical expletive.

This thread is gay.

Has anyone done that joke yet?

Sarah Silverman (a stand-up comic) uses epithets in her comedy routines. I love her, but people who listen to her casually may be offended. My experience with reading PA was not just to read a few comics. I read a couple of years worth the past couple of days and even asked my boyfriend to buy me a t-shirt from them for Christmas. None of which softens the effect of hearing the word "gay" and "homo" used in a negative way.

kongpl8 on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The fact that he doesn't like ghettoes is because they keep minorities in the fucking ghetto, you stubborn cunt.

Good. Fucking. God.

Preventing integration is not a good thing.

And, really, dude, buttfucking is not a new or scary phenomenon to anyone here.

Ghettoes exist because the outside majority often excludes minorities from social advancement. Nobody is forcing a race or group of people to live together - they choose to; for support. Integration would be great bigots didn't still run things.

headshake.gif

So all those people who can't afford market value housing and have to deal with Housing Authority projects or section 8 vouchers are what, exactly? Choosing to be poor? Because I know a few people who would really like to leave the ghetto if it were an option for them. They aren't being supported in Cabrini Green and they didn't choose to be stuck there.

moniker on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Church wrote: »

If its any consolation, I may have a split personality.

One of the two may also be gay.

Incenjucar on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are you going to search for examples that have offended you and post them or are you just going to keep confusing the fuck out of everyone?

Hoz on
    edited October 2007
    From my memory, this comic only really ever uses 'gay' or 'fag' in the context of making fun of the state of online play. As in if Gabe or Tycho was playing Xbox Live, they might make a comic about how someone will call them a "mexican jew fag" or some other nonsensical expletive.

This thread is gay.

Sarah Silverman (a stand-up comic) uses epithets in her comedy routines. I love her, but people who listen to her casually may be offended. My experience with reading PA was not just to read a few comics. I read a couple of years worth the past couple of days and even asked my boyfriend to buy me a t-shirt from them for Christmas. None of which softens the effect of hearing the word "gay" and "homo" used in a negative way.

It's used in a negative way, yes, but that usage is ironic.

I guess you have to take that on faith somewhat, and I guess that's something you will learn after reading a lot of newsposts, listening to podcasts, and participating in the community (forum, PAX, gaming groups, whatever), but I would say that you are indeed still a casual reader, and are misinterpreting the way in which the words are used, much as someone might misinterpret sarah silverman.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
    edited October 2007
    The three years I spent in prison, I was never allowed to use the N word. I was also not "allowed" to convert to Islam because it "belonged" to the blacks in prison. Ghettoes exist whether you like it or not. The fact that you don't like ghettoes just suggests that you are one of the comfortable majority that doesn't understand minority struggles.

My boyfriend and I are moving to Canada (eventually). I'm sure that will make some people happy. However, planning an emmigration is not as easy as it used to be. He needs a job in Canada so is working at UPS to build up a record and get a transfer. But we will both be leaving behind our parents.

kongpl8 on
    edited October 2007

If its any consolation, I may have a split personality.

One of the two may also be gay.

THE FORCE IS NOT AMUSED.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

This thread is gay.

So... Sarah Silverman should stop using epithets? Comedians should stop making jokes that could potentially offend casual listeners who might not understand the context they're told in?

Brolo on
    edited October 2007

I guess you have to take that on faith somewhat, and I guess that's something you will learn after reading a lot of newsposts, listening to podcasts, and participating in the community (forum, PAX, gaming groups, whatever), but I would say that you are indeed still a casual reader, and are misinterpreting the way in which the words are used, much as someone might misinterpret sarah silverman.

Thanks, I hope you're right.

kongpl8 on
  • AndrewMacAndrewMac Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This thread is gay.

a) you have emotional issues
    b) when people make fun of any facets of my life that are seen as strange or different, I laugh. because they're jokes, and they're funny.

AndrewMac on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    My boyfriend and I are moving to Canada (eventually). I'm sure that will make some people happy. However, planning an emmigration is not as easy as it used to be. He needs a job in Canada so is working at UPS to build up a record and get a transfer. But we will both be leaving behind our parents.

And now I've lost the thread of the discussion entirely.

Aroduc on
    edited October 2007
    wouldn't immigration screen for people like you?

Zonkytonkman on
    edited October 2007
    wrote:

That is still within your relationship. Going into a job interview and introducing yourself as gay really should not occur. Assuming you follow many workplaces rules, relationship based affairs should stay out of the workplace.

And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

I am an artist and I work out of my home studio. I do that because after years of being a graphic artist and listening to straight co-workers talk about their kids and their wives, I got tired and moved to a job where I was boss and set my own rules. Yay me.

So you're intolerant, and are pissed at intolerant people for existing. As well as those who mock intolerant people with a modern vocabulary. Gotcha.

moniker on
    edited October 2007

So... Sarah Silverman should stop using epithets? Comedians should stop making jokes that could potentially offend casual listeners who might not understand the context they're told in?

Sarah does what she does because she has found a niche in comedy. Being controversial is nothing new, neither is making a career out of it. But if you're going to be offensive, you need to express whether you are ironic or factual. Take Andrew Dice Clay (please), he was very up-front about hating gays.

kongpl8 on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

Welcome to Kong's interactive livejournal!

Medopine on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Kong8?
    6322.jpg

"Lester is quietly approached in his garage while working out by a distraught Col. Fitts, who has been out in the rain. Lester attempts to comfort Col. Fitts who kisses him, believing him to be a homosexual based on what he had seen earlier. Despite his homophobia, Fitts is revealed to be a closeted gay man. Lester rejects this advance calmly as a misunderstanding, and Fitts leaves, humiliated."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beauty_film

I am quoting this because it had an unfortunate place at the bottom of the last page.

Dhalphir on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

....wa...what is this?

Nobody cares about your boyfriend. This thread is simply a car crash we're all slowing our cars down to have a look at. Your insane and your ego is so immense I'm surprised it hasn't crushed your Boyfriend and everyone else you care about. Though I'm guessing it probably has.

Prohass on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    AndrewMac wrote: »
    b) when people make fun of any facets of my life that are seen as strange or different, I laugh. because they're jokes, and they're funny.
    Sarah Silverman is not funny. And the stupidity of her bad humor is offensive to me, even when I'm not being targeted by it.

Hoz on
    edited October 2007

Only in America. Okay, some other countries. America does. Canada allows gay marriage.

"People like me"? Why are you suddenly afraid to call me a faggot? Use your hatred. It makes you strong.

kongpl8 on
    edited October 2007

Thanks, I hope you're right.

We've all been trying to say this at one point or another.

It's just that this thread is such a fucking mess.

Mostly because you had a really confusing OP and it just sort of snowballed. Shitballed. It shitballed.

I feel dirty just being in here.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »

Welcome to Kong's interactive livejournal!

Current Mood: Irate
    Current Music: It's Raining Men - Weather Girls

Aroduc on
    edited October 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Sarah Silverman is not funny. And the stupidity of her bad humor is offensive to me. Even if I'm not being targeted by it.

Is Sarah Silverman that Asian Lesbian? Man what an Asian Lesbian.

Prohass on
    edited October 2007

Only in America. Okay, some other countries. America does. Canada allows gay marriage.

"People like me"? Why are you suddenly afraid to call me a faggot? Use your hatred. It makes you strong.

Irony, faggot
    See what I did there?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • AndrewMacAndrewMac Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sarah Silverman is not funny. And the stupidity of her bad humor is offensive to me, even when I'm not being targeted by it.

I didn't particularly mean to reply to that specific post. I don't know anything about Sarah Silverman; it was more of a generality.

AndrewMac on
    edited October 2007

Eh. I like her humour. I just don't like her undeserved sense of accomplishment.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007

I'm glad you find her offensive. There are worse people out there.

kongpl8 on
    edited October 2007

i was talking about convicted felons

god

Zonkytonkman on
    edited October 2007

OMG A QUOTE TREE BEGINS HERE. Fear it.

Prohass on
    edited October 2007

Irony, faggot
    See what I did there?

There you go. That wasn't so hard.

kongpl8 on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

You're reading an awful lot into that question, champ.

Brolo on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

:D

This thread is awesome.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited October 2007

This is only mostly true. She is incredibly funny at times and just goes up to Patton Oswald or Bill Hicks levels of awesomeness, it's just that this only occurs like 3% of the time in comparison to Oswald or Hicks where it's like 99% awesome and 1% freebird.

moniker on
    edited October 2007

Irony, faggot
    See what I did there?

There you go. That wasn't so hard.

OK so you missed the point or what?

And I think I've sucked enough dick to be able to use the word faggot, thank you. (by your absurd standard. Anyone should be able to use it in such an ironic, harmless context)

sdrawkcaB emaN on
    edited October 2007

Current Mood: Irate
    Current Music: It's Raining Men - Weather Girls

I'm just trying to reply to people. I could have stopped a looong time ago. You guys keep it going.

kongpl8 on
This discussion has been closed.