As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros Brawl: The closer you are to Peach, the deeper you sleep.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Konata wrote: »
    Yes, this is the new shaky and false premise I will use to support my hope that Leon Kennedy is in Brawl.

I wonder how long it'll be that after everything's been unlocked the rumours will stay that Leon is in.:roll:

There really aren't any "rumors" about it. It's just something I would really like to see happen but that fucking Mega Man is in the way.

There is only one solution: Mega Man must die.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PROX wrote: »
    Andy From Advanced Wars tonight

world_b_22.gif

I think if Advanced Wars were a represented series then the assist trophy wouldn't be in sprite form.

Zek on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Leon would be ten kinds of awesome.

But Mega Man really belongs there.

He alongside Mario and Sonic was one of gamings first icons. They all had their own cartoons, toys and licensed merchandise.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    The MerchantThe Merchant Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Castlevania also does not fit into the icon list, so at the very least there are no plans to announce Simon.

There is, of course, always the chance that every company is submitting an unlocked character and a secret one. Konami could give Snake and Simon, Sega could give Sonic and Robotnik, Capcom could give Megaman and either Zero or Leon.

Yes, this is the new shaky and false premise I will use to support my hope that Leon Kennedy is in Brawl.

i was hoping the same. phoenix wright would be great too. only in japanese, the series starts with a 'g' D:

edit: i'm sure EVERYONE already knew that :/

The Merchant on
  • Options
    KonataKonata Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I wonder how long it'll be that after everything's been unlocked the rumours will stay that Leon is in.:roll:

There really aren't any "rumors" about it. It's just something I would really like to see happen but that fucking Mega Man is in the way.

you don't seem to understand...leon will not be in! *cackles manicallly*

Sonic was also rumoured for melee as an unlockable (probably still up to this day actually)

So you'll all go in denial, praying that he'll be in, for years to come, untill the next Smash of the series is released, wich will utterly crush your dreams because it'll only star pokemon.

Konata on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    not gonna happen

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    the announcement is likely stuff that was already soft revealed at E for All

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Here's me hoping for new music, so far I've liked each song (except Ashley's, wich sounds crap in English)

Konata on
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Sonic was also rumoured for melee as an unlockable (probably still up to this day actually)

So you'll all go in denial, praying that he'll be in, for years to come, untill the next Smash of the series is released, wich will utterly crush your dreams because it'll only star pokemon.

In the next smash bros game, entitled Smash Brothers in Arms, meteors kill off 90% of the competition introducing a whole new cast of characters in a gritty post-apocalyptic setting.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Actually that would be kind of cool too.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    zakkiel wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Ruins wrote: »
    I don't wanna wait 10 years to play Brawl online.......

You kids and your sarcasm.

Man I am so not being sarcastic. I seriously didn't think Brawl would have online - that Sakurai would play it against NOA and say "no, this is too laggy, it's not worthwhile to put in desu".
    I would never want a game to not have online because it was too laggy. Technology will eventually catch up! I will worry about my own connection speed!

Right now the limitation when it comes to online lag is pretty much the fact that internets can only move at the speed of light. With optimal conditions, there will at least be something like a 65ms ping between two computers on opposite sides of the planet (rough estimate). As it stands, it is realistically much higher.

Blame yourself or Einstein.

If the internet actually moved at the speed of light we would have no problem. But noooo, who needs fiber everything when we have enough telephone wire to make the Earth a fancy belt?!

Fun fact: light traveling in a flawless direct connection fiberoptic cable the longest distance the earth can provide over flat land (half the earth's circumference) would still take about 190ms.
    Half mean circumference of the earth: 20,020km. Speed of light: 300,000km/s. Lag from one side to the other: 67ms.

Good conducting cable at high voltage would be a little slower, but not much.

Well guys all this speed-of-light stuff has been great. I am near positive that all of your calculations are off by just enough to inspire a physics major into pulling a TSR and giving us the full history of light. I could do without this. Dear physics major - or other light enthusiast - I get it there is lag.

Right now the limitation when it comes to online lag is pretty much the fact that my, and likely my opponent's connection is a piece of crap. I am pretty far away from getting optical lines here, so there is still lots of room to improve.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fishguy wrote: »

In the next smash bros game, entitled Smash Brothers in Arms, meteors kill off 90% of the competition introducing a whole new cast of characters in a gritty post-apocalyptic setting.

How bad is it if I laughed out loud at this ? :(

Konata on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    PROX wrote: »
    Andy From Advanced Wars tonight

world_b_22.gif

I think if Advanced Wars were a represented series then the assist trophy wouldn't be in sprite form.

Andross is his polygonal 64 version, so I don't see that being true.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Castlevania also does not fit into the icon list, so at the very least there are no plans to announce Simon.

There is, of course, always the chance that every company is submitting an unlocked character and a secret one. Konami could give Snake and Simon, Sega could give Sonic and Robotnik, Capcom could give Megaman and either Zero or Leon.

I want Simon so much. Or Julius. Julius is pretty cool, too.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

Does Castlevania even work in the alphabetical thing?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

Does Castlevania even work in the alphabetical thing?
    Hell no.

Elendil on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Metaknight's is so boring. ZSS Final Smash restores her life right? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Ike's final smash seems weak, it did like 70 damage, but looked really awesome, vs Link/ Metaknight's which have the same idea but instant KO people.

This is sort of misguided.

Ike's final smash is the most damage out of any 1-strike FS thus far, it does more damage than Link's AND Metaknights, and none of these are instant KOs. Link's is the weakest out of the 3 (in terms of knockback), but is easiest to hit with. Metaknights does 42% damage or so. Ike's brings the opponent upward and then knocks them away, so it is potentially the most deadly out of the 3 (as Metaknights could just bounce or some stupid crap)

none of them are directly 1 hit kos

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    link's does 66% from zero

Guek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Guek wrote: »

yep.

Ike - 71%
    Link - 66%
    Metaknight - 42%

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Here is a video that has various new pokemon and assist trophies!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tCm2BHaoHZo

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    what's the thing wich flies from left to right repeatedly very fast ?

And lyn is pretty awesome

Konata on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    what's the thing wich flies from left to right repeatedly very fast ?

And lyn is pretty awesome

I believe it is Lugia, but I am not certain

Other pokemon that are in: Latios and Latias, who do a similar thing, but I think the both of them start from either end of the stage and then tackle each other in the middle, and crush anyone that is in between at the time

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    oh man gardevoir is awesome

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Curry seems like a really broken weapon. You can't get close to the guy doing shooting fire. It's like a hammer only it just does absurd amounts of damage with no knockback.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jesus christ those broads are annoying

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Curry seems like a really broken weapon. You can't get close to the guy doing shooting fire. It's like a hammer only it just does absurd amounts of damage with no knockback.

does it cancel projectiles? I would get a fast guy and just peck at him with long range stuff.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007

It doesnt knockback but it does make them flinch, so you cant really knock them out while youre doing it

that said, samus with a curry would be pretty hilarious

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How about those heavy characters and their no-flinch moves?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »

It doesnt knockback but it does make them flinch, so you cant really knock them out while youre doing it

Yea, it just shoots so fast though, and it looks like you can't escape it, unlike say fireflowers, because the curry guy can move around. Bowser was getting juggled like crazy in of these videos. It looks like you could get someone up to 100% dmg easy from zero. I don't think it'd matter in FFA items on high because you'd just get a crate to the face, but in 1v1 it looks like the only way to beat is to just run away until you get a capsule or something.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How about those heavy characters and their no-flinch moves?

Makes me glad Donkey Kong is my best.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yea, it just shoots so fast though, and it looks like you can't escape it, unlike say fireflowers, because the curry guy can move around. Bowser was getting juggled like crazy in of these videos. It looks like you could get someone up to 100% dmg easy from zero. I don't think it'd matter in FFA items on high because you'd just get a crate to the face, but in 1v1 it looks like the only way to beat is to just run away until you get a capsule or something.

Funny you should say that, if you haven't watched a lot of videos yet here is an interesting change in brawl -- you CAN move while shooting items

Scopes, fireflowers, et cetera

edit: but yeah im not downplaying what youre saying, curry is obviously a very powerful item

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was gonna say that, they even mentioned that in their update, hopefully that means fireflower is actually kinda good now, it was kinda lacking in melee

Konata on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lyn is insane. She KO'd Sonic at 20%. I wonder if she's guaranteed to hit.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Lyn is insane. She KO'd Sonic at 20%. I wonder if she's guaranteed to hit.
    http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/assist07.html

Apparently she locks on, charges, then attacks. If you're moving enough she might miss.

Elendil on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah it does sound like getting hit dead on by Lyn is an instant KO. I imagine a well timed dodge would avoid it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    The difference seems to be that people on this forum accept what changes may come, and the people on the Smashboards are rather conservative about the game, and they believe it is important for it to play exactly like the previous installment (probably so that they can have it 'mastered' as quickly as possible).

So, playing to have fun, and playing to win.

Seems to be bullshit to me. This kind of description paints Penny Arcade as the Karate Kid to the Smashboards Cobra Kai (STRIKE FIRST! STRIKE HARD! NO MERCY!).

There isn't some kind of stupid "fun-loving champs v pathetic win-seeking-to-combat-low-self-esteem losers" in this.

The real reason is pretty simple:

People have fun when they feel like they can win AND lose at a game. They don't have fun when a game seems unwinnable or unlosable.

Smashboards players get so good at the game that they become unbeatable by most of the people they know. The Smashboards players get bored because they have such a handle on the game that they can't get beat, and the Penny Arcade players get bored because they can't ever beat the Smashboards players. So the Smashboards players go play other Smashboards players, and the Penny Arcadians go play other Penny Arcadians.

The Smashboards players get so ridiculously into picking apart the game that they explore every single bit of its design, and figure out every strategy that can be used. They determine that the game is, with some item and stage banning, relatively fair and well-balanced. Seeing as they are playing the game with other "masters" who have ABSOLUTE control over their player characters, this equal playing field becomes important to them.

Penny Arcadians never get to a level where stage bannings and such become necessary. They may decide to ban certain items for their own subjective level of fairness (heart container is a popular on), but otherwise don't need to mess with the game al that much.

Both players play happily within their own separate groups, and both develop a certain elitism about their group.

Then Brawl gets on the horizon, and everything goes to shit. Smashboards players see things about their metagame disappearing and being changed, and become worried that the game won't be nearly as balanced as they know Melee is. Penny Arcadians see things getting changed that doesn't affect gameplay at their level, and get smug about it, thinking "Good, now those Smashboards players will be back on my level once again. Cockbags."

Really, both groups of players are worried that the game will be broken. Smashboards are worried that, in catering to casuals, Sakurai will break the high level game, and SSBB won't be viable anymore at tournament level. Penny Arcadians are worried that if Sakurai continues to cater to Smashboards players, the game will be "broken" in the sense that Smashboards players will still kick their ass. And so both groups of players bitch and moan and talk about how their style is the way the game is meant to be played and in general piss me the fuck off.

Smashboards: the game is going to change, but Nintendo is not so amateur as to present a game that is broken on ANY level, tournament or otherwise. Get over it, you will still have fun.

Penny Arcade: you will still be casual at this game, and you will still get your asses handed to you by Smashboards players, and you will still whine about how it "isn't fun to play with them," and you will have to play against other more casual players to have a good time. No amount of Sakurai simplifying the game will change this. Get over it, you will still have fun.

Seriously. I'm fucking tired of all this "my way is the way the game is MEANT to be played," screw those scrubs/elistists! bullshit.
    This is an excelent analysis. I want to shake your hand, ChopperDave.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes, it does seem overly powerful. But that should just make Curry Special Brawl all the more fun. :D

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What exactly is Gardevoir doing?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stopping projectiles I'm pretty sure.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guek wrote: »

yep.

Ike - 71%
    Link - 66%
    Metaknight - 42%

One thing I noticed about Ike's is that even though it does a ton of damage, it doesn't seem very likely that you would be able to kill someone with it, unless you started near an edge. It looked like it threw the enemy downward while the Final Smashes from Link and Meta Knight sent people flying off to either side.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0