As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hellgate†London: It's out. Why aren't you playing it?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Welp, my attempt to secure enough blood for a third backup zombot before the server shutdown failed (It would have been #5 had i not realize you can't actually trade Zombots :P What a waste of materials). Likewise was my attempt to secure a secondary All Hallow's Visage for my alt.

Hell, I didn't even succeed at beating the Cannon Street Rails mission before the shutdown. Bummer.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My minigame panel disappeared after I got the latest single player patch, anyone have an explanation for that? Id real like it back, thought it was fun trying to meet the objectives.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I'll be getting this game in a few days.

In particular, the Engineer, Evoker, and Marksman caught my interest (in that order).

A question about the engineer: Are the bots and drones actually capable? They aren't inherently gimped are they? I'm afraid once I throw him into harder difficulties, the class will struggle.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Talith wrote: »
    So I'll be getting this game in a few days.

In particular, the Engineer, Evoker, and Marksman caught my interest (in that order).

A question about the engineer: Are the bots and drones actually capable? They aren't inherently gimped are they? I'm afraid once I throw him into harder difficulties, the class will struggle.

Supposedly the patch today will fix some of the drones issues but the drones are pretty dumb. They love shooting the nearest wall and are pretty worthless when playing multiplayer. However the drone can be a pretty good tank when soloing.

If they finally today fix the bug that cause the drones armor and weapons to reset when you leave the game they could be a good option. No one has really put any good gear on the drone for fear of losing it when the game freezes.

They are also improving the bots in today patch so you might want to wait a while for a finally verdict on the haste and rocket bots.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    Man. S3rial's armour is shit hot.
    Thank you :)

I've actually started replacing it with much more boring-looking armor, though.

You see, as awesome as rifleman armor looks, it's entirely shield-based. And as I'm sure we're all aware, shields fucking suck. As such, I've started leaning towards the quartermaster armor. It's nowhere near as flashy. In fact, my helmet it downright embarassing. But you know what? Nightmare is fucking hard. I'd rather be alive, blowing up zombies with flying saw blades than kissing pavement as a fashionable corpse.

Tell me about it that shield-based crap doesn't cut it in nightmare. Also specialized damage ie spectral and stun tear me up. I have found armor pieces that protect againest all specialized damage but I cant wear them until level 35.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Myself and three friends picked this up, at my urging, and LANed ourselves together for many hours on Sunday.
    Pleasantly surprised, much better than I was thinking. Two of us, the two with the best rigs, crashed multiple times in the city zones while the guy with the worst rig would randomly lock up in combat. Other than the bugs, though, we had a blast.
    We had a Blademaster, Engineer, and Summoner. The number of pets was a bit overkill but they didn't really get in the way. I wish you could set them to be offensive or defensive, though. They run too far ahead for my liking.
    The item system is absolutely nuts, so much stuff. I wish we could get a separate bag for the breakdown items because I have to stop every few minutes to make space. I really like that even the early stuff feels useful.

What is with the HUD? Almost none of it is explained in the tutorial or the instruction manual. We figured out most everything, I think, but still aren't sure what those three little symbols in the bottom right are for. They seem to change frequently and don't appear to have anything to do with what I have equipped.

Accualt on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does the scenery ever change? The thoughts of running through another subway tunnel or abandoned warehouse for another day makes me kind of sick.
    I am currently level 12 in act 2.

frylocked on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    frylocked wrote: »
    Does the scenery ever change? The thoughts of running through another subway tunnel or abandoned warehouse for another day makes me kind of sick.
    I am currently level 12 in act 2.

The tilesets are continually reused, but every act introduces a new one.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sooo newbie question.... I didn't try to in the beta but is there a way to reset a instance? I just started playing and I want to run the 1st hellgate a few times before I move on. Is there a way to reset it after I finish?

powersurge on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I finally installed, and have created my three (3) characters on Shulgoth (or whatever the server's name is). On the up side; the character limit will keep my rampant alt-itis in check. 12 slots? I'd have 6 filled within minutes of loading. I skipped the melee classes (I've played a rogue in WoW for nearly three years, melee = no for me), and I play my Engineer like a Sniper with a bot, so I skipped a Marksman as well.

Forar the Engineer is up to level 9, and managed to snag a lucky automatic rifle "Yellow" (5 star... Legendary? Unique?) around level 7 or 8 which I've upgraded to level 10. I know, I know, Auto rifles are kinda ass compared to some of the weapons, but this thing hits like a truck.

I've been scrimping and saving stat points, and have spread out my talents between the three 'trees', mostly just 1 point here and there unless more are required for a skill I know I'll be picking up later.

A quick question; I'd heard that the shared stash was Subscriber Only, but then I've heard that it's supposed to be available to regular accounts as well, just smaller. Any word on this? I"ve found a few decent rare items for my Evoker and Summoner (level 2 each, booyah!) that I'd like to move to them eventually, but as good as the PA Crew is, I'd hate to impose on them too frequently for muling expiditions during questing downtime. I love the idea of a shared stash... but not enough to pay $10 a month for one.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shields suck? I'm only lvl 15 but they seem pretty useful for my evoker. I tend to not get hit too often so my shields are usually enough to absorb the damage.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey s3rial, any recommendations for the Marksman as far as stat distribution? I've put most of mine in accuracy, while my stamina is about half my accuracy. I'll probably be saving some points now, as I'll have to put some in strength and willpower soon to add more feed space.

And can Ricochet and Reflected Shot be used at the same time? I've heard they can't, that only Reflected and Homing can.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SpruchySpruchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sorry I don't usually enter threads to troll but when the question of the thread is so bothersome to me I just have to give a reply.

I am not playing because Hellgate London is a piece of shit.

Spruchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Spruchy wrote: »
    Sorry I don't usually enter threads to troll but when the question of the thread is so bothersome to me I just have to give a reply.

I am not playing because Hellgate London is a piece of shit.

Ah thanks, I'll stop playing then.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Shields suck? I'm only lvl 15 but they seem pretty useful for my evoker. I tend to not get hit too often so my shields are usually enough to absorb the damage.

Dude shields work well in lower levels but in Nightmare mode they are pretty worthless. One hit will remove your shields.

Nightmare Act I is very easy but after that the pain begins. It not impossiblely hard it is just like diablo your character needs moding once nightmare begins. For example you need higher resistances to special damages and armor instead of shields.

Of course my character is a lvl 33 Engy with points mainly in the bot also I have been soloing Nightmare until more people catch up. Other character classes or builds might have a different experience.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man, started an Evoker to check it out. Kinda disappointed at first. Spectral Bolt is a cool idea but it is too uncontrollable and you have to have some good range and wide open space for it to be any use.

But then I figured out that Firestorm was a channel and not a click. Things went down faster. Then I got a focus weapon with Broms Curse, a spell i was planning on passing up...but holy shit. Tons of mobs coming at you? Broms Curse > Firestorm = win and full heath!

Someone please tell me that broms stays as awesome as it is now because as it stand I really want to point some points into it.

I'm thinking I'll focus on Fire and Lightning for the hell of it. The Toxic and Spectral spells don't sound terribly interesting to me.

I'm maxing that out. It's the perfect group spell. Right now it's hitting 14 mobs, and draining 11%. It's only 4/7 skilled right now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

The impression that I've gotten is that, at high levels and/or Elite, shields are torn through like a Kleenex at a snot party [/Simpsons] I haven't gotten there myself, so I can't make a judgement. At low levels, shields are great, as long as you can get away once in a while.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote:
    A quick question; I'd heard that the shared stash was Subscriber Only, but then I've heard that it's supposed to be available to regular accounts as well, just smaller. Any word on this? I"ve found a few decent rare items for my Evoker and Summoner (level 2 each, booyah!) that I'd like to move to them eventually, but as good as the PA Crew is, I'd hate to impose on them too frequently for muling expiditions during questing downtime. I love the idea of a shared stash... but not enough to pay $10 a month for one.

I don't think the stash is shared. I've subscribed and it only really doubles the stash size for me. On the other hand, I haven't even tried it yet, so it may exist. But I'm about 90% sure it's just increased stash size (which is worth it for me, honestly, I had already filled my stash before I subscribed.)

There is going to be a mail system implemented in the next HUEG patch, but I don't know if that's sub only or not.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Forar wrote:

I don't think the stash is shared. I've subscribed and it only really doubles the stash size for me. On the other hand, I haven't even tried it yet, so it may exist. But I'm about 90% sure it's just increased stash size (which is worth it for me, honestly, I had already filled my stash before I subscribed.)

There is going to be a mail system implemented in the next HUEG patch, but I don't know if that's sub only or not.
    Bill Roper wrote:
    "both tiers of users will be getting broader game-wide features such as PvP duel and free-for-all combat, guild support, auction houses, and mail"
    - Auction houses and mail are a high priority and won't wait until a quarterly patch

Via Dev's awesome blog

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sweet, thanks Unicron. I thought so, but wasn't too sure. Though I figured the AH and mail system are high priority.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Funny, I could swear I remembered there being an actual "shared stash" feature mentioned, but I'd have to go hunting for a link. Just 20 or so slots that would be shared across all your characters, so you could move things from one character to another without having to pass them off to another person and relog? Mail would take care of this I suppose, but the idea of having a place I could just toss, say, unused Mods and leave enough room for a good piece of armour or weapon (or just tuck all my scrapped reagents) would be pretty tight. Oh well.

Also, anyone have a little spare blood? I've got everything I need except a handful of blood (like 5 or so) to make my Zombot. I've got spare recipes and organs, in case anyone needs them. I noticed in the patch notes that the Halloween event is now over, so I apparently fell a wee bit short and have been thwarted by hoping that I'd just have one more day to collect.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Spruchy wrote: »

I am not playing because WoW is a piece of shit.

olol fixed for truthiness...

But seriously, you've opened my eyes.

urahonky on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shield gear is kinda better for an Evoker because they have Arcane Shield as well. It not only boosts your max shield by a ton, but it refills any shields you have lost. Even if you can't stand still very long, a full shield bar every ~10s is nice defense if you have a decent amount of shields.

I'm mixing in a bit of armor where I can as well.

Any higher level evokers have some advice about the different spell trees? So far, I've only put points into Spectral. Bolts are cool and Lash reaches into oblivion, but I have nothing for close range.

What tree would compliment spectral the best? I saw in the bone spells there is a point-blank-stun-everyone-around-me spell. Not sure how good that is with the rest of the bone spells.

Also, how does Arc Legion work?

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Funny, I could swear I remembered there being an actual "shared stash" feature mentioned, but I'd have to go hunting for a link. Just 20 or so slots that would be shared across all your characters, so you could move things from one character to another without having to pass them off to another person and relog? Mail would take care of this I suppose, but the idea of having a place I could just toss, say, unused Mods and leave enough room for a good piece of armour or weapon (or just tuck all my scrapped reagents) would be pretty tight. Oh well.

Also, anyone have a little spare blood? I've got everything I need except a handful of blood (like 5 or so) to make my Zombot. I've got spare recipes and organs, in case anyone needs them. I noticed in the patch notes that the Halloween event is now over, so I apparently fell a wee bit short and have been thwarted by hoping that I'd just have one more day to collect.

I have a ton of blood on my Blademaster, but you'll have to wait a few hours till I get home to get it. The shared stash was supposed to be a subscriber feature, but they took it out for some reason. When I go to their site, it mentions nothing about shared stash, and it lists "Increased Stash size" on there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Shared stash is going to be subscriber only and hasn't been implemented yet. I would expect it to show up soon though.

Edit: Beat'd and wrong'd. That kind of sucks that they're not talking about it anymore. I'll end up subscribing anyway later this month or next, but the more reasons they give me the happier I'll be (and I don't mean cutting down on features for free-players and making them pay :P). On that note, I'm really happy Elite (or Hardcore? I forget) mode got moved from pay to free, even though I was planning on paying anything extra to convince my friends to give it a go is a plus.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Funny, I could swear I remembered there being an actual "shared stash" feature mentioned, but I'd have to go hunting for a link.

You're not wrong it was mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it was said to be available to both account types, just bigger for the subscribers.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    Shared stash is going to be subscriber only and hasn't been implemented yet. I would expect it to show up soon though.

Guess I'll just have to rely on friends and wait patiently (read: impatiently) for the email option.

Unless you can't mail things to your other characters.

I'd just about lose it at that point.

Forar on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Had a bit of a scare last night during a storyline mission my fiancees character locked up and that prevented her from seeing the transmission, we thought she was hosed (it happened before when she turned in a quest and she can't complete that one). Thankfully she was able to abandon it and pick it up again.

Also act 5 spoiler don't read this unless you have completed act 5

Is the giant robot a complete waste? I swear it couldn't hit shit even when targeting it, what ended up happening is my character got killed while my fiancee was playing with the robot and I ploughed the road manually. So were we doing something wrong or does the robo just suck monkey balls?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Unicron wrote: »

Guess I'll just have to rely on friends and wait patiently (read: impatiently) for the email option.

Unless you can't mail things to your other characters.

I'd just about lose it at that point.

Hehe I had sort of the same thought process when I first started playing.

"Oh not having shared stash isn't too bad I'll just have a mule. Ah crap, only three characters I can't waste that on a mule :("

I also don't like hastling people to shuffle stuff around so at the moment I just ignore loot that my alts could use and just focus on my toon gearing himself up, break the rest down.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't remember seeing this info, but what is the max character for the subscribers? Hopefully more than 6?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing this info, but what is the max character for the subscribers? Hopefully more than 6?

24 :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Thank god, though if there really isn't an issue of space, because they're giving us 24, it pisses me off that we can't get 6 without a sub. Does anyone know what happens if you un-subscribe? Can you pick and choose which three to keep active, do the others get deleted or just unavailable?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Thank god, though if there really isn't an issue of space, because they're giving us 24, it pisses me off that we can't get 6 without a sub. Does anyone know what happens if you un-subscribe? Can you pick and choose which three to keep active, do the others get deleted or just unavailable?

The ones above the main 3 become "frozen" and will unlock when you subscribe again.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

The ones above the main 3 become "frozen" and will unlock when you subscribe again.

Is there any way to change what the main 3 are, or is it freezing everything directly below the top three on the screen?

Septus on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I decided I would go ahead and max out all the Rapid Fire skills on my Marksman, and I'm telling you, I absolutely love it. Level 22 right now, and while it hurts having to stand still sometimes when I turn on Rapid Fire, I love planting myself in front of a group of mobs and watch everything in front of me die in a blaze of gunfire.

The build still needs some tweaking though - I wasted some points screwing around with grenades (though the phase grenade still seems to be the best bet as an opening attack) - and I may replace ricochet with homing next time around. But so far the build really stands out when you mix together a high-RoF gun modded with those % chance of AoE elemental spell on hit, maxing out crit whenever possible, and throwing in Ricochet. Tight hallways become your best friend.

I hope I don't hit the endgame and realize my character is hopelessly gimped. :P

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Is there any way to change what the main 3 are, or is it freezing everything directly below the top three on the screen?

As of now it's just the top 3, but I'm sure they will change that later.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    armour1il4.jpg

I WANT THIS ARMOUR.

Marksman/Engineer armor, rite?

Echo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Anyone on right now that can invitinate me? Name's Zhia.

Also, are guilds per character or account?

Echo on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Echo - that is MM/Engy armor. Dev's the only one who can invite into the Guild for the time being. Guild status is per character -- Dev will have to invite every character you want in.

Doronron on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shulgoth is up with the Fawkes patch.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
This discussion has been closed.