As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] [D&D 3.5] A Cry in the Dark [Full, on Hold]

Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Critical Failures
THIS IS ON HOLD, characters made for this campaign will be maintained, but it's going to be part of something very special. Just wait two or three weeks.

This is the first post of the IC thread, but should give you an idea of the feel of the adventure arc:
AEvanDael (spelling intentional) used to be a small crossroads town, whose denizens survived by selling their services, swords, or goods to passing traders and adventurers. The Davon's Beard Inn is named after one of the more famous adventurers, a short, stout, red-bearded dwarf who always made sure to stop at the town on his way from his mountain home of Khaz Dorhan to the great southern badlands, where he inevitably met his fate. The town died with him, and a great statue was commissioned in the center the crossroads; it was never finished. While he, and brave heros who followed in his footsteps braved with regularity the black maple forest of AEvenwood, the once well-trod roads out of town have long-since turned to game trails, reclaimed by the thicket around them.

Once traders and skilled craftsmen, the citizens of AEvanDael have gradually had to return to the hunter-gatherer ways of their ancestors, until only a scant few craftsmen and alchemists remain. It's been 14 months since the last trading convoy, and all those with means or dreams to start a new life somewhere more prosperous went with them through the southern badlands, to the metropolis of Redwater beyond. They have all since been lost, to weal or woe. Some, including the younger bondservants, saw the forest city as a place to be somebody, and to rebuild the town to it's former glory, and stayed.

Jahunz, a lean half-elf with ragged features, and yet a fire in his eyes, leads the monthly game expeditions into the encroaching wilderness, taking along both the more experienced militiamen turned hunters, as well as the younger apprentices. As Jahunz holds his leathered hand in the air, and motions for you all to lay still, you mimick your elders and make as little noise as possible.

As your first journey beyond the confines of the failing palisade, you think back to the crumbling temple of Obad-Hai, and the shrine of Pelor hastily erected within. You reach to that place and to the Light inside you, in the midst of this dark and treacherous place, to rise above the web of bark and branch that turns the day to night. Sticks break in the darkness.

1st Level - 28 Point Buy, 200 gp each. Use '4th ed' style saves and abilities checks - so add 10 to all of your saves to get a static value. Instead of a DC for any of your spells or abilities, instead roll 10 at the time of casting. Thusly, you should be able to sum up your entire round of combat in one post. You may draw from PHB and PHBII for your character creation, and the DMG for your magic item purchases. All druids are required to take the 'Shapeshift' alternate class feature - which can be summarized in PM form if you are so inclined.

The game will not focus solely on combat, but I am still developing my skills as a role-player, so bear with me as the campaign transitions from roll-heavy to a healthier balance of NPC interaction.

Everything you say in character will immediately become part of this world's canon - a homebrew for my P&P group. If you speak of your memories in the Dwarven Mines, until you saw the unearthing of the crystal of blue rage that destoyed your hometown, it happened. Etc. Just be aware, if you killed 50 dragons in your time off-stage, you're going to have to come up with some damn good explanations for why you aren't both richer and more powerful. You'll also have to contend with angry dragons.

Legoman05 on

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd be interested in this if it's still available. I'll have my information posted by tomorrow, unless you'd like it PMed.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've posted for Pony's approval already, but in the likely(?) event I'm not chosen, Fortran would be available.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Posted here will be fine, pope.

El Skid - interesting that Fortran doesn't have even a crossbow to fall back on. May want to reconsider that :D?

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was thinking of just carrying around some darts atm- crossbow doesn't really fit the character too well, at least not in his pre-adventuring days. He could well be pressed into buying a crossbow, if people who know what they're talking about tell him too tho- I don't see spending all his starting cash pre-game >_<

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fortran Fizzbane
    Male True Neutral Gnome Conjurer, Level 1, Init +1, HP 6/6, Speed20ft
    AC13, Touch13, Flat-footed 11, Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +4, BAB 0
    Quarterstaff +0 (1d6-1/1d6-1, x2)
    Heavy Crossbow +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Saves Fort 12, Ref 12, Will 13 (4th ed versions)
    Feats Magical Aptitude
    Misc Immediate Magic
    Fortran has always been a quiet sort of gnome, preferring the company of his alchemy lab and spell book to most living things, even eschewing a familiar due to the need to care for and feed the thing.

Always a brilliant thinker, Fortran occasionally takes on projects a bit too advanced for his skills, and he got his name "Fizzbane" when he was attempting to turn a large amount of water into some Carbon-based liquid for his experiments. The results were unpleasant to say the least, as most of the neighbourhood became overrun with what was thereafter named "the Fizz".

Needless to say, he was forced to clean the mess up and pay for any damages, leaving him rather a lot less well off than he had been. In fact, his savings were so depleted that he could no longer devote most of his time to his studies, selling off a potion or scroll here or there... He found he now had to work near full time.

His neighbors were either annoyed (if they had been near his house) or refused to take him seriously(everyone else had heard of the incident), and so he couldn't even find a job in the immediate area- he vowed to find someplace sufficiently far away where he could accumulate enough wealth to live in peace and quiet till the end of his days with his books and alchemy set.

So off he set on a long journey, leading him eventually to Critwall

Currently re-writing flavour text to a) make it clear that he isn't totally antisocial, and b) to add a bit more backstory

I'll add the whole shebang here, Since Pony seems to have passed on me :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've still got the itch, so I'll roll up a character.

When do you need it by? I'm kind of thinking of a halfling fighter.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sunday night Will be the start of the IC thread. I've got some pretty fucked up midterms this week.

Skid, I respect the character choices - but keep in mind you're in a hunting party in an isolated town... Jahunz is a good uncle-type figure to the lot of you, and values the contribution you can make if, say, you all were to stumble into a pack of wolves, but he'd still want you with some steel between you and your enemy. If for nothing else, that he could worry about you a bit less.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you guys wouldn’t mind someone who is newish to the D&D game, and completely new to online gaming then I’d be interested in joining.
    Belgal
    M Lawful Good Dwarf Paladin, Level 1, Init +4, HP 13/13, Speed 20 feet
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 17, Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Warhammer +3 (1d8+2, x3)
    Dagger (1) +3 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Shortsword +3 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
    Chainmail, Large Wooden Sheild (+5 Armor, +2 Shield)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Condition None

lodwilk on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Durran
    Male Neutral Good Dwarf Ranger, Level 1, Init +2, HP 11/11, Speed 20 ft.
    AC 14, Touch 12, Flat-footed 12, Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2, BAB +1
    Longbow +0 (1d8, 20 / x3)
    Dwarven Waraxe +0 (1d10, 20 / x3)
    Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Coming from a long and prestigious line of watchmen, Durran was expected to take up the family business, but even from a young age he was different from the other dwarfs. Two odd qualities that Durran held for a dwarf where a preference for the outside world over being underground and being on his own; and when the time came for him to become a watchmen, he shocked his family with the announcement that he was going to become a hunter. Overtime, Durran’s family came to accept his decision, but even so, Durran felt the call of adventure and the desire to hunt evil.

How about this?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    OP updated - this is on hold for a while.

All of your characters look great, and should be saved, but I'll start running it later.

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I posted this in the other thread, I don't know if you ever saw it or not.

Celahir

Lawful Neutral Human Male Druid
    HP: 1d8+2 (I'll assume 10 hp for level 1)
    Abilities: Str 14 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 10
    AC: 14
    BAB: +0
    Spd: 30 ft
    Fort/Ref/Will: 13/11/14 (4th ed versions)
    Skills: Concentration 4 (+6), Handle Animal 4(+4), Heal 4 (+6), Knowledge (Nature) 4 (+6), Survival 4 (+8)
    Feats: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning
    Class Features: Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Shapeshift (Predator Form)
    Equipment: Explorer's Kit (75 gp), Quarterstaff (0 gp), Leather Armor (10 gp), Light Wooden Shield (3 gp), 112 gp
    Languages: Common, Druidic

Spells Prepared: Level 0--Detect Magic, Cure Minor Wounds, Light; Level 1--Summon Nature's Ally I, Entangle

Predator Form
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 10
    HP: 1d8+2 (I'll assume 10 hp for level 1)
    AC: 15
    BAB: +0
    Spd: 50 ft
    Bite Attack melee +4 (1d6+4)
    Fort/Ref/Will: 13/11/14 (4th ed versions)
    Skills: Concentration 4 (+6), Handle Animal 4(+4), Heal 4 (+6), Knowledge (Nature) 4 (+6), Survival 4 (+8)
    Feats: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning
    Class Features: Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Shapeshift (Predator Form)

Explorer's Kit - This kit is for experienced travelers who intend to spend very long periods of time on the road, and comes with pretty much everything one might need. It runs 75 gold, and also comes in a sturdy leather backpack: Bandoleer, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Grappling Hook, Hooded Lantern, Iron Pot, Map/Scroll Case, Pint-Bottles of Oil (3), Pitons (10), Potion Belt, Sack (5), Sheets of Parchment (6), Silk Rope (50 feet), Silver Mug, Small Steel Mirror, Soap (1 lb.), Sunrod (5), Tent, Tindertwig (5), Trail Rations (10), Vial of Ink, Waterskin.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, looks like I missed the last spot.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Lego, could you please update the OP/title to say that the game is full, and add the names of the 3 you've selected to participate (actually 4 characters posted, 3 needed as of now).

There's another post being maintained for players without a game, and I'm sure that whoever didn't make it in would want to be posting there, especially if it'll be a few weeks till your game starts.

Oh, and I updated Fortran above and added in a heavy crossbow, along with my gear FYI

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Any word on this, Lego?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    El Skid wrote: »
    Any word on this, Lego?

Finals, and work projects, and going to Ireland in three weeks is what's happening...

Sorry.

Legoman05 on