Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

12346»

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    In a lot of stages if you climb stairs from a screen below a screen with pits those pits will drop you back to the previous screen not to your doom.

And are you fighting Shaft or his ghost i always found Shaft in stage 6 easy because his attacks are not hard to dodge at all.
    I keep getting hit by the third one of the sequence of lightning attacks. I haven't figured out the trick to it.

Per3th.jpg
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to have trouble with that but in the boss demo (awesome feature btw) it shows you how to dodge it.

The trick is unlike the first two shots where you try to stay between the balls by moving, on the third shot you let them come to you.

You wait until the two crystal balls get over Richter's head (they will get right next to each other and overlap slightly) and then you move.

They do this twice, on the second pass is when they fire.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm finding a lot more in SotN than I did on my last runthrough.

Also, has anyone been to the Confession Room in the Chapel?

If you sit down on the left, the priest is voice acted.

Oh, and new 'Dark Metamorphosis' doesn't sound half as cool as the old.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Timestones wrote: »
    Gilder wrote: »
    Man, I had to look up how to get the second maiden. That was so stupid. This is old style Castlevania, I don't let anything live. If you're on-screen, I assume you're going to try and knock me into water. Plus I don't think the solution is available your first time through because I certainly didn't see "it".

That said, I just got my ass handed to me in the last stage. Last boss spoiler follows.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler response:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Did you know the PSP automatically cuts off when you strike it against a desk?

• GilderGilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I had to look up how to get the second maiden. That was so stupid. This is old style Castlevania, I don't let anything live. If you're on-screen, I assume you're going to try and knock me into water. Plus I don't think the solution is available your first time through because I certainly didn't see "it".

That said, I just got my ass handed to me in the last stage. Last boss spoiler follows.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler response:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Hahaha, yeah it's kind of annoying your first time and it took me about 10 attempts or so, always screwing up at the end. Here's my strategy though.
    Spoiler:

• LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm finding a lot more in SotN than I did on my last runthrough.

Also, has anyone been to the Confession Room in the Chapel?

If you sit down on the left, the priest is voice acted.

Oh, and new 'Dark Metamorphosis' doesn't sound half as cool as the old.

I can't seem to cast any spell that has a diagonal in it :/

• NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Spoiler:

Spoiler response:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Hahaha, yeah it's kind of annoying your first time and it took me about 10 attempts or so, always screwing up at the end. Here's my strategy though.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Fucking love this game. I thought I'd end up transitioning to the part as soon as I unlocked it, but the remake has fully engaged me. Still have one more maiden to snag.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth You Don't Even Know, ManRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's borderline embarrasing how easily Maria can whoop Dracula. First attempt, didn't get hit once.

I got the bad ending though, which leads to two questions:

1. How many endings are there, total?

2. Can you use the Stage Select to locate each maiden, then get the best ending? Or would you have to start a new game from scratch?

• NorfairNorfair Registered User
    edited November 2007
    1. There are two endings, Bad and Good.

2. I sure hope so, because the anal completionist in me *needed* to see both endings, so
    Spoiler:
    I've already gotten the "bad" ending, so here's hoping I can go back and get the "good" one.

Also, appropriately for an old-school game, I've been getting a lot better at it the more I play it. Things that used to frustrate the hell out of me now seem so easy when I go back to the stages I've already beaten. I'm really looking forward to playing original Rondo now.

edited November 2007
    Finally achieved the good ending, but still stand 17% short of full completion. I will get there, dammit, and without outsourced help. As someone who completed the maps of every GBA and DS Castlevania he owns, I feel obligated to.

One big tip for Dracula's final form:
    Spoiler:

edited November 2007
    Spoiler:

I'm having a blast with Original Rondo, also. The only thing that bugs me is the screen ghosting, but I kind of expected that going into it. I should probably invest in the component cables and hook my Slim up to my TV. Also, the original game doesn't try to keep a record of my continues. Mine are at 000, because I would just save and quit when I died instead... I didn't want to lose any of the money I'd earned, I needed that to buy the boss demos. If you continue, it all goes away. Unfortunately, it leaves the impression that I'm really good at this game, which is a blatant falsehood; I got twelve game overs.

edited November 2007
    Norfair wrote: »
    Spoiler:

I'm having a blast with Original Rondo, also. The only thing that bugs me is the screen ghosting, but I kind of expected that going into it. I should probably invest in the component cables and hook my Slim up to my TV. Also, the original game doesn't try to keep a record of my continues. Mine are at 000, because I would just save and quit when I died instead... I didn't want to lose any of the money I'd earned, I needed that to buy the boss demos. If you continue, it all goes away. Unfortunately, it leaves the impression that I'm really good at this game, which is a blatant falsehood; I got twelve game overs.
    People have been attributing the ghosting to faulty emulation, but I'm thinking that's false; SotN and even the main game have the same issue, if you pay the proper notice to them. Their less vibrant color palettes just make it less belligerent.

Also: cheater. :P

edited November 2007
    Also: cheater. :P

You know it! I have no shame. :P I suppose I would have a lot more shame if it was an online ranking, but since it's not... I can live with the results of my evil greed.

Original Rondo and SOTN look fine through component out, so I think it was just typical PSP ghosting, not bad emulation. The only new visual glitch I've noticed was when Drac transformed in SOTN's Prologue. It's still not as bad as Sting Chameleon's level in Maverick Hunter X. I could barely see going through that cave at times.

Also, this game demands headphones.

• cjeriscjeris Registered User
    edited November 2007
    After my wife saw how slow Richter walks in this game, she said: (spoilered for offensive)
    Spoiler:

I am certainly going to hell when I die for finding that funny.

sig.gif
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Shoreline, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just a question for everyone: when you start of Symphony of the Night, does your PSP chug away for about thirty seconds? This one of my first PSP games and this only happens when I go to load up Symphony, so I don't know if this is a problem or normal.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, the game takes quite a while to load for me too, but afterwards everything is smooth sailing.

• LCDXXLCDXX Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Just a question for everyone: when you start of Symphony of the Night, does your PSP chug away for about thirty seconds? This one of my first PSP games and this only happens when I go to load up Symphony, so I don't know if this is a problem or normal.
    It's normal as far as SotN goes. But as for the PSP as a whole, it's not exactly all that common. Some games do have a significant load time - depends on the title.

You're good.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Shoreline, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks. I hoped I didn't need to get my brand new PSP checked out.

12346»