As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Import Games from Japan

UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
I'll be spending the next few weeks in Tokyo with my fiancee, which will be the perfect opportunity to look around for any Japanese games I might want to bring back to the states with me.
So, what are some games that are ideal to import? I don't read enough Japanese to do RPGs (I suppose I could have her translate everything for me live as we play, but that might get tedious), but do read enough to navigate simple games.

Since the DS is region free, that seems to be an ideal system for import games. I already have Ouendan/Ouendan 2. Anything else to look out for?

My fiancee seems to be hinting strongly that I should pick up Japanese Wii so we can play some Mario Galaxy while I am there. I've actually entertained the idea of getting one for a while. If I bring it back to the US, can I use it to access the Japanese VC store, assuming I have a Japanese address to enter, and Japanese Wii point cards? Anything worth having on the Japanese VC? Any Japanese Wii games worth buying?

Are 360 games region locked? I seem to remember hearing various things in this regard ...

Finally, any good ol' PS2 games worth looking out for? I have a Japanese PS2 that I use for DDR imports...

So, yea, what is good and fun in the land of the rising sun?

UreshiiAkuma on

• CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can get Japanese Wii Points cards from NCSX when you need to top up in the states. Making a drive cable for imports works with very few games and only older Wiis, so don't count on being able to play US releases on that unit.

*sigh*

I need a friend in Japan that could find me things like an Asciipad 64 (needed for a Bomberman 64 secret) or a Super Gameboy 2.

CZroe on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP on
  • UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    You can get Japanese Wii Points cards from NCSX when you need to top up in the states. Making a drive cable for imports works with very few games and only older Wiis, so don't count on being able to play US releases on that unit.

Its good to know where I can get those cards from in the US. I already have a US Wii, so if I did get one in Japan, it'd just be for Japanese specific things, and the fanboy geek factor of having one :)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are 360 games region locked? I seem to remember hearing various things in this regard ...

It depends on the game. Play-Asia.com is a pretty good source to find out which games are locked (curse you Eternal Sonata!) and which ones are region free.

RainbowDespair on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Act Cadenza, though I personally suggest rooting through the PC Market. Tons and tons of great indy games to be had there.

Aroduc on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You see that other slot on your DS? The one that's bigger than the other and is kind of GBA game shaped? Yeah that slot.

Fill it with Rhythm Tengoku.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Beatmania IIDX is always fun, especially if you're into DDR; lots of good songs by the same composers.

Though since you'll be in Japan, maybe you should just play it in an arcade. Genuine IIDX cabinets shouldn't be too hard to find there.

The only PS2 imports I have are IIDX games, so that's all I can recommend as that goes. Music games are easy to import, since there's no language barrier(shoot, the menus are usually in English anyway).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jump Ultimate Stars.

Its like Smash Bros for DS and more characters. You'll need a guide for it from Gamefaqs, but its worth it.

A lot of the stores over there don't have it though, I had to go to the big Yodobashi store in Akihabara a few weeks ago to find it while I was there. You're looking at around $35-40 for it.

Kelor on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you like rhythm games, make sure to get Band Brothers and Taiko no Tatsujin.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you have a Dreamcast, don't forget imports are easily bootable on it via a Gameshark.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited October 2007
    Good suggestions so far, sounds like there are a goodly number of rhythm games to look out for. I am a fan of those, and they are usually pretty import friendly.

I also like strange or just plain different games ... I am very tempted to track down Pepsiman just, well, because.

I completely forgot that I picked up Jump Ultimate Stars when I was in Tokyo last Spring ... I think I had started going through the FAQ for it, but then got distracted by a squirrel. I'll have to dig that out when I get home.

Any good platformers, shmups, or the like to look out for?

UreshiiAkuma on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you have a Dreamcast, there's a ton of shmups to look out for. Notably Radio Allergy/Radilgy, which was supposed to come out here for the GC and never did, because O3 Entertainment suck.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BTP wrote: »
    You see that other slot on your DS? The one that's bigger than the other and is kind of GBA game shaped? Yeah that slot.

So true, but if you ever need a break make sure to pop in dotstream.

Agentflit on
  • JazzFlightJazzFlight Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    Be sure to scout through the used game places, you could save some serious cash.

I forget the name of the chain that sells used games, but it's a 4/5-story building that has a manga floor, DVD floor, game floor, and music floor. It was in both Shinjuku and Shibuya, so it's pretty popular. I picked up a ton of cheap (sub-$20) PS2 games there.

JazzFlight on
    edited October 2007
    Yea, I'll definitely be scouting out the used places. I know Book Off in Harajuku carries used games, and I think Mandarake in Shibuya had them too. I am sure there are other good places if I poke around ... any idea what the chain is you are thinking of?

UreshiiAkuma on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Agentflit wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »

So true, but if you ever need a break make sure to pop in dotstream.

Yes, but instead of Dotstream get Soundvoyager or Orbital. Or better yet, all three.

bruin on
    edited October 2007
    Yowsa. I just realized that my SFC copy of Rockman 7 is pirated... it FITS a US SNES without breaking tabs. WTF?!

Question to PAL SNES games and Japanese SFC games physically fit? Are the lockout chip and 50/60hz the only hurdles to playing SFC games on a PAL SNES? I ask because I can only find pictures of PAL game pak undersides/backs on Google Image Search and I can't get back home to find my other imports anytime soon. I'm trying to see if SFC games are supposed to be slotted. The SFC I have sitting next to me certainly doesn't have the tabs in the cart slot. All the import mod guides act as if you need to break the tabs to play SF games. I believe this is a pirate beause I DIDN'T HAVE TO. It has external linehead screws like other NEC/Nintendo cartridges (there is no such thing as "Gamebit"), but many pirate GBA games have the Tri-Wing screw too. I thought the black crap on the label was because it was old and used. :(

CZroe on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You could mod your wii, quite a high number of Japanese games are bootable on modded USA NTSC machines.

There's a wiki with compatibility but I can't link to it as it contains naughty naughty content.

In fact if you're taking your Wii there then someone would undoubtedly mod it for very cheap.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited October 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    You could mod your wii, quite a high number of Japanese games are bootable on modded USA NTSC machines.

There's a wiki with compatibility but I can't link to it as it contains naughty naughty content.

In fact if you're taking your Wii there then someone would undoubtedly mod it for very cheap.

Like I said: It wouldn't work with one purchased today. Well, other than that theoretical one that is just... YIKES.

CZroe on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wiis now can't be modded? what'd they change?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited October 2007

The D2C drive chipset. The so-called "D2CKey" chip is a near total replacement for this that takes an insane installation (30+ wires soldered directly to the miniscule drive chip legs). It's supposedly "ready," but I still haven't seen one.

CZroe on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you have a Dreamcast, don't forget imports are easily bootable on it via a Gameshark.

Or by burning yourself an import boot disc.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

The D2C drive chipset. The so-called "D2CKey" chip is a near total replacement for this that takes an insane installation (30+ wires soldered directly to the miniscule drive chip legs). It's supposedly "ready," but I still haven't seen one.

It's ready and for sale now, there are also some alternative solder points to make it easier and a clip-on mod (that you slot over the drive chip) is in development, so you won't need to solder the majority. It's no worse than some of the early PS2 modchips to be honest. I've done an install to the legs of the drive chip before for a friend, it's just like that...except with ten times as many wires.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited October 2007
    So I poked around on the play-asia.com site to look at 360 region lock. I started to wonder why a lot of the US versions weren't locked, buy the Japan version were. Then I noticed the Japan version were $10 cheaper in these cases. Ah, that would explain it.

UreshiiAkuma on
    edited October 2007
    If you're in the UK then the USA versions are still normally an awful lot cheaper than what they retail for over here :)

Mr_Grinch on