As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LCD monitor for gaming

spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° )Puyallup WA Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking at using an LCD monitor to play my consoles on. I have no idea what to look for to make this happen. So, I have a couple questions for those that might have done this before. What type of converter to make my consoles work on the monitor? I plan on using headphones with this setup, is there anything special I need to do? The consoles I plan to use with this thing are the GC and the PS2, using composite cables, are there any concerns in this department?

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
spookymuffin on

• Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you're going to need to get an LCD TV or else you'll get tons of lag and games will be unplayable. ;-).........unless of course nintendo releases a vga adapter

tracertong on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a Dell 2407 and run a PS2 / Wii through the component input, 360 through VGA, my PC through DVI and a DVD player through the composite input. No converters needed and the audio for them all run through the component switch to my amplifier and speakers.

There are plenty of monitors with inputs other than DVI / VGA that work fantastically.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sporks got the right idea. If you can still find one, Circuit City had a component switch with audio jacks for 40 bucks a few months back, which was really cheap. I've made this work on my Samsung monitor by tracking down the right adapters (thankfully some of which I've collected over the years from assorted video cards. When I used to work as a Home Theater Installer, I used Monster.com (for the people have little or no care for cost) and bettercables.com. Good luck man.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not Monster.com, Monstercable.com...

meeker on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    meeker wrote: »

pshhh, you need to upgrade your ridiculously overpriced cables to obscenely overpriced cables
    http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou_sc.htm

$7000 for a pair of 12 foot speaker cables

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    mastman wrote: »

pshhh, you need to upgrade your ridiculously overpriced cables to obscenely overpriced cables

For military applications only.

Squashua on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh duh sorry. Bit of a Fruedian slip, I was reading my emails from monster.com

Yeah, monstercables.com

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

Right.
    If you want good cables for reasonable prices, go with Monoprice.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    you're going to need to get an LCD TV or else you'll get tons of lag and games will be unplayable. ;-).........unless of course nintendo releases a vga adapter

There are plenty of LCDs out there now with delays of under 10ms. I know that at least Viewsonic and Samsung have 2ms panels out, so delay should no longer be a problem in LCD monitors.

I'll jump on the Spork bandwagon too. Plenty of higher quality monitors come with component inputs. I have the 2405FPW and used to run my 360 and PS2 through it (prior to getting a HDTV). For the PS2 I had a simple stereo RCA to 1/8" jack to route the audio through the input on my computer. The 360 has an optical out, so that connected to my optical in on my computer.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lemme give some more detail about what I was thinking. I'm only going to use this setup for a couple months, then I'm going to use the monitor as a secondary screen on my PC at home. I was thinking of getting a decent 15 to 17 inch monitor, nothing too flashy or pricey, max $200, and a VGA adapter. So what's this about lag? If I'm plugging my console right into the monitor, how is there going to be lag?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    So what's this about lag? If I'm plugging my console right into the monitor, how is there going to be lag?

There isn't.

Old LCD screens used to suffer from terrible "ghosting" where the pixels weren't refreshing quick enough to make motion smooth. However, any response time of under 20ms is ideal for watching videos / gaming on and pretty much every LCD monitor around now has a response time of less than that. Both my 19" and my 24" monitors have response times of around 12ms and one's 2 years old whilst the other I've had for a year. Anything bought now will be fine.

For the GC / PS2 there isn't a VGA solution so you might have to buy a GameBridge (which people either have great experiences with or hate its guts) which acts as a TV tuner to plug into.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »

Right.
    If you want good cables for reasonable prices, go with Monoprice.

Or just use power cable, like the professionals.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera