As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherein we discuss: Chuck vs [adjective] [noun]

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "No. There is another."

Best line of the episode by far, but then I'm a sucker for Star Wars references.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    "No. There is another."

Best line of the episode by far, but then I'm a sucker for Star Wars references.

Everything Beckman said was the best line of the episode. More Beckman!

Also: Strahovski showed some actual comic timing! "I appreciated the tank." Heh.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, if in the next episode Chuck and Sarah are broken up within 5 minutes of the show starting, someone dies.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, if in the next episode Chuck and Sarah are broken up within 5 minutes of the show starting, someone dies.

Yeah no, the plot basically is:
    Chuck and Sarah are posing (well, posing is not really the right word) as a married couple on a train somewhere in Europe, run into bad guys, hijinks ensue. At some point, Sarah is beating the hell out of someone in their room while handcuffed (moving quickly!) to Chuck who is outside the door.

They get a honeymoon! And Sarah gets to kick ass!

Also, Fedak says they're committed to this, for fear of fans storming the castle and murdering them with pitchforks.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fshavlak wrote: »
    lsukalel wrote: »
    Um how has no one mentioned that Morgan is now a spy!!!
    Because he's not really.

I mean not anymore than he was previously, the biggest difference is that instead of chuck having him help with things unwittingly, he now knows why he's doing whatever.

I think Casey just made the General play along to make Morgan feel good.

"yeah yeah, you're a spy now, just don't quit your day job. It's your cover.

Also because it was getting old having his main purpose in episodes to make puppy dog faces after Chuck runs off and leaves him there not knowing the secret.
    Morgan getting ready to cut some ring motherfuckers up with the electric carving knives, that was awesome.
    I got the sense that due to getting the Director of the Ring and the tone in the director's voice that he really will be used as a spy in training. Like why would she be so pained if not?

lsukalel on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    I really liked the episode, but I can't help but think
    That the Ring Director went down way too easily

On the other hand:
    Casey.

I think you meant:
    Jayne Cobb, who finally catches up to Badger :P

Loved the episode, nice to hear they're going to stick with this direction.

Bobble on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fshavlak wrote: »
    Um how has no one mentioned that Morgan is now a spy!!!
    Because he's not really.

I mean not anymore than he was previously, the biggest difference is that instead of chuck having him help with things unwittingly, he now knows why he's doing whatever.

I think Casey just made the General play along to make Morgan feel good.

"yeah yeah, you're a spy now, just don't quit your day job. It's your cover.

Also because it was getting old having his main purpose in episodes to make puppy dog faces after Chuck runs off and leaves him there not knowing the secret.
    Morgan getting ready to cut some ring motherfuckers up with the electric carving knives, that was awesome.
    I got the sense that due to getting the Director of the Ring and the tone in the director's voice that he really will be used as a spy in training. Like why would she be so pained if not?
    Because casey is making her do some trivial thing and she's already at her wits end having had to deal with Chuck for 3 years, throwing another nerd in even as an olive branch is probably pushing her over the edge

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't really mind at all if it does play out where he has an actual role, i mean the preview for the next 6 showed
    Morgan and Casey doing some type of training
    so who knows?

We'll see.

Maybe they need him to be the earnest bumbling dork since Chuck is now the man.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    re: Morgan
    I expect we'll be seeing him as the handler / man on the radio for team chuck.
    probably with some occasional failure to Stay-in-the-Van since Chuck himself probably won't be screwing things up on his own any more.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Morgan has four purposes now:
    1) Chuck has issues, he talks them out with Morgan (or Christopher Lloyd).

2) A bridge between Buymoria and spy world, still. Yay comic relief.

3) Alfred.

4) Because Casey now likes and respects Chuck, Casey needs a new foil.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    probably with some occasional failure to Stay-in-the-Van since Chuck himself probably won't be screwing things up on his own any more.
    Exactly. At the very least they could probably use another gadget guy. Chuck will have his hands full actually being a real spy, so they'll need someone tech-savvy like Morgan to order and prepare Chuck's various gadgetry.

So basically he'd be Chuck's Q. Which he conveniently pointed out in the episode.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Exactly. At the very least they could probably use another gadget guy. Chuck will have his hands full actually being a real spy, so they'll need someone tech-savvy like Morgan to order and prepare Chuck's various gadgetry.

So basically he'd be Chuck's Q. Which he conveniently pointed out in the episode.
    I still say Alfred is the better choice. Morgan has never been portrayed as really that brilliant with tech stuff, he's a liking stuff sort of geek. Music/movies/video games and he's also a bit of a foodie.

Plus, I want to hear Josh Gomez doing a ridiculous British accent.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, great episode. Thank God:
    That Shaw is dead. And that Chuck did it. And that Sarah didn't freak out with more You're Not Chuck. And in fact did the exact opposite and finally admitted she loved Chuck and then...the ending. About damn time, as someone else said.

The opening was lame. He drove her to a warehouse to show her a tape? And they all bought that? Huh? But then it was saved by the "I appreciated the tank." line. Ditto for the ending- it started off a little groan worthy with Shaw not getting shot in the back of the head, but was saved with the last 5 minutes.

Casey didn't get to blow anything up, but got to be badass, so it's a win in the end.

Morgan is a 'real' spy I'd say ("We don't do pranks."), like Chuck was at the start almost. He'll show up on missions in non-vital roles. And drive Beckman up the wall.

So..."Yes.", <Everything Casey said almost>, *BANG! BANG! BANG!*, "Shut up and kiss me." (Sarah interrupts Chuck again for once and with an excellent suggestion) pretty much made up for the mistake that was Shaw.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fanwanking (re: cold open) ahoy:
    The opener was either 1) Shaw used magic villain powers to detect Chuck and team and quickly adjusted his plan or 2) he needed to set up the raid for the Cipher and "discovered" something there.

Also, it got us "I appreciated the tank" and Colonel Sanders as a ridiculous throwaway joke that Adam Baldwin pulled off (of course).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It 'had' to be option 2, just that no one thought "Why the hell are we out here?!" at any point was a bit silly. But yeah, tank.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I think Morgan's role is to be the whacky inept spy that Chuck is no longer. Basically, get back to some of Chuck's season 1 roots. Also, I was SOOOOO fucking glad that it ended up with Chuck and Sarah together. I would shoot my TV if she was like "Eww, no, you killed someone now. I can't love you. LOLOLOLOL"

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think Morgan's role is to be the whacky inept spy that Chuck is no longer. Basically, get back to some of Chuck's season 1 roots. Also, I was SOOOOO fucking glad that it ended up with Chuck and Sarah together. I would shoot my TV if she was like "Eww, no, you killed someone now. I can't love you. LOLOLOLOL"
    I would have been way angrier if Beckman's interruption stuck.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I would have been way angrier if Beckman's interruption stuck.

Didn't something similar happen at the end of one of the Bond movies?

I know it's a pretty classic "end of action movie" thing to do.
    I'm of course referring to the "shutting off of Beckman as she tries to give them another mission" thing.

Also did anyone else notice that the other general person that Beckman was talking to in the last episode was named "Bauer?" I thought that was kind of funny.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    One of the Bond movies? Try every single one of Roger Moore's.

By the way, if you didn't notice, one of the things Morgan was tied up with was an NES light zapper. Heh.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It 'had' to be option 2, just that no one thought "Why the hell are we out here?!" at any point was a bit silly. But yeah, tank.
    It made sense to me if AFTER the fight, The Ring had contacted Shaw, which I thought was the camera fixing on him and such.

hippofant on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    While it was satisfying, this episode felt a little rushed for the 2nd half.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Beckman's Atlas Shrugged refrence was funny, because she is more right-wing then Casey. Remember her refrence to going for Cosmo's with Condolezza Rice last season.

But I have to wonder: How did someone that short manage to join the millitary in the first place? Isn't there some sort of minimum height requirement?

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One of the Bond movies? Try every single one of Roger Moore's.

By the way, if you didn't notice, one of the things Morgan was tied up with was an NES light zapper. Heh.

I was a little surprised they didn't get upset when Sarah cut all of those cords.

Also, we're all forgetting Morgan's primary objective (which has always been there): That glorious beard.

Bobble on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Morgan as Q works for me. Remember way back when that Morgan's gadgets that he got off eBay saved the day a couple of times earlier in the show.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »

Morgan as Q works for me. Remember way back when that Morgan's gadgets that he got off eBay saved the day a couple of times earlier in the show.
    Yeah, Morgan's spy hardware that he comes by is frequently useful, but he also goes into the fetal position when locked in a room full of computers.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know what would be an awesome plot twist, and would serve to retroactively make all of season 3 way better?

If we found out that the Ring was a division of Fulcrum. From season 1 and season 2, we know that the various Fulcrum cells work independently and are not aware of each other or in contact with each other. It would make a lot of sense if the Ring turned out to be a Fulcrum cell that just happens to be larger and more autonomous than most standard cells.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bryce implied the other way around.

Anyway, ratings were steady. Which not bad, considering 24 + DWTS + baseball opening day + up against a really good NCAA championship game on the west coast.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know the Addition of Morgan to team Bartowski solves one of the lingering questions i have about Castle and secret underground bases like that: Who clean them?

I mean its going to need somebody to clean them, wash the floor, dust things. From my short stint as Santitation Engineer I know that shit piles up fast. I mean the Job interview for that kind of job must be pretty special in its own right: "So do you have any experience with lava stains?"

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That Shaw is dead. And that Chuck did it. And that Sarah didn't freak out with more You're Not Chuck. And in fact did the exact opposite and finally admitted she loved Chuck and then...the ending. About damn time, as someone else said.

The opening was lame. He drove her to a warehouse to show her a tape? And they all bought that? Huh? But then it was saved by the "I appreciated the tank." line. Ditto for the ending- it started off a little groan worthy with Shaw not getting shot in the back of the head, but was saved with the last 5 minutes.

Casey didn't get to blow anything up, but got to be badass, so it's a win in the end.

Morgan is a 'real' spy I'd say ("We don't do pranks."), like Chuck was at the start almost. He'll show up on missions in non-vital roles. And drive Beckman up the wall.

So..."Yes.", <Everything Casey said almost>, *BANG! BANG! BANG!*, "Shut up and kiss me." (Sarah interrupts Chuck again for once and with an excellent suggestion) pretty much made up for the mistake that was Shaw.

Well for the open scene...
    It seemed like Shaw was planning to kill her there. He did have the gun pointed at the back of her, with that "I'm gonna blow your brains out" look. But he holstered it and went into his little speech. I think he was on the fence about killing her or not at that moment.

I'm actually REALLY upset Shaw is dead... which says allot, because leading up to this episode I couldn't wait to see Chuck fill him full of lead!

As a good guy, I couldn't stand Shaw. He was too perfect, to goody goody, but turns out that was the point all along. Even the best of the best, the american hero, was ultimately broken in every way by the ring.

I thought he had a ton of potential to a villain for a long while yet, as my #1 problem with the show is how theres no persistent bad guys save for Chevy Chase who was EPIC. I really want Chuck to have a Lex Luthor to call his own!

They could have really made use of Shaw's turn to the darkside, but instead it felt rushed and not used to fullest potential.

Doesn't change the fact it was an amazing amazing episode. The fact they actually made me HATE Shaw to being a fan of Shaw in about 15 minutes says allot.

Well, heres to hoping Lester and Jeff get hired by the ring to spy on Chuck and Morgan. Now how epic would that be?

Bottom line, last six episodes of the season need an ample dosage of Jeffster!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The fact that Chuck has no constant single villain is a little refreshing really. Some shows end up getting bogged down by them or they don't mention them lot so they may as well not be there. Chuck's shadowy evil organization has been working so far. Shaw is the closest they've come to introducing a persistent enemy for a decent length and look how that turned out :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Chevy was around for four episodes! Even if he was only in three of them.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The fact that Chuck has no constant single villain is a little refreshing really. Some shows end up getting bogged down by them or they don't mention them lot so they may as well not be there. Chuck's shadowy evil organization has been working so far. Shaw is the closest they've come to introducing a persistent enemy for a decent length and look how that turned out :P

True, but new villain of the week can get a bit stale. Stargate SG-1 had this problem. Whereby they kinda wrote themselves into a corner and ended up with that stupid Ori arc. After going through the gamut of Goa'uld, then replicators etc. I think they may write themselves into a corner where the Chuck character becomes very good at what he does, thereby no longer the everyman/geek underdog. Which is the underpinning tone of a lot of American film/tv fiction.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There was some stuff that really bugged me about this episode, despite the awesomeness attached to each one.
    First of all, it was a no brainer that Casey would eventually be reinstated. He's the skill and tactics of the team and without his expertise, they would be dead in the water. However, I didn't like the way it was handled. Treason is an incredibly serious offense, and the fact that it was so lightly brushed off by exchanging a prisoner for a huge list of demands was a bit unbelievable. There a lot of other offenses they could have had him commit that would result in a dishonorable discharge without carrying the weight of treason.

Secondly, I like the fact that Morgan has been brought onto Team Bartowski, but again, the handling of it was very poor and unbelievable. Here you have a guy with no applicable skill, he's completely out of touch with reality, he has a far too active imagination, and unlike Chuck, Morgan has no intersect to fall back on. There is no conceivable way that he would ever be brought into the fold under the conditions that he was.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No new thread yet?
    Oh and Lucascraft: the solution to your objection:
    give grimes a mini-intersect.
    JK

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    No new thread yet?
    Oh and Lucascraft: the solution to your objection:
    give grimes a mini-intersect.
    JK
    Well, they still have that guy who made the intersect sunglasses in protective custody somewhere, don't they?

see317 on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought the episode was pretty horrible but they set themselves up for a nice final six.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There was some stuff that really bugged me about this episode, despite the awesomeness attached to each one.
    First of all, it was a no brainer that Casey would eventually be reinstated. He's the skill and tactics of the team and without his expertise, they would be dead in the water. However, I didn't like the way it was handled. Treason is an incredibly serious offense, and the fact that it was so lightly brushed off by exchanging a prisoner for a huge list of demands was a bit unbelievable. There a lot of other offenses they could have had him commit that would result in a dishonorable discharge without carrying the weight of treason.

Secondly, I like the fact that Morgan has been brought onto Team Bartowski, but again, the handling of it was very poor and unbelievable. Here you have a guy with no applicable skill, he's completely out of touch with reality, he has a far too active imagination, and unlike Chuck, Morgan has no intersect to fall back on. There is no conceivable way that he would ever be brought into the fold under the conditions that he was.
    Well first of all, Casey didn't trade in for nothing. He traded for the leader of a major evil international spy organization. If you contact the CIA with Osama Bin Laden tied up and ready to hand in, I expect you could get quite a few things in exchange.

And what he got wasn't that much when you get down to it.

1) He got to be reinstated. He didn't get a pardon for treason - he got that already, when he was dismissed as a civilian instead of thrown in jail. Reinstating a highly skilled operative who just captured a dangerous international criminal you've been hunting and failing to get for years is a no-brainer.

2) He got a new car. Him and everyone on Opera and every other contestant on The Price is Right.

3) He got Morgan into the team. Then again, Morgan was already in the know, so essentially they gave him the nominal badge that Chuck had three years ago and will be telling him to wait in the car.

So overall, it's not an unrealistic deal IMO.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The opening was lame. He drove her to a warehouse to show her a tape? And they all bought that? Huh?
    He brought her there because that's where the director was apparently transmitting from (hence the digital camera setup.) One would think that the director set up that little movie show on the side to ruffle up the heroes who show up to late to arrest him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The opening was lame. He drove her to a warehouse to show her a tape? And they all bought that? Huh?
    He brought her there because that's where the director was apparently transmitting from (hence the digital camera setup.) One would think that the director set up that little movie show on the side to ruffle up the heroes who show up to late to arrest him.
    Well ruffling up their feathers gave Chuck everything he needed to determine where Shaw was going to try to kill Sarah. Not only that, but it necessitated that whole poorly choreographed ruse, which in turn exposed Shaw as a traitor.

I just don't see what the Ring or Shaw gained by anything they did in this episode.

My best guess is that the director and the device that was taken from Ring HQ are going to be integral to completing the Ring's intersect.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The more I think about it the more I dislike Morgan...
    Being put on the team. I totally get it from a story standpoint. Chuck is no longer that guy we cab relate to, he's pretty much a super-hero with the hottest girlfriend EVER.

Common sense wise it's just SO unbelievable I just can't get into it. Thats saying something considering how Chuck is a pretty damn goofy show where a ability to just roll with the story is a must.

Keep in mind Chuck was already a target to be brought into the spy world, his friend tried to save him from that though. He's a borderline genius. And when he was brought in as a spy it was cause he was the intersect and was ultimatly more help then a burden.

Morgan's just an average (even somewhat dim) nobody. The CIA barely let Chuck be a spy, and yet, they wave Morgan in. I dunno. I just can't get behind it.

Oh well, I'm sure it will nag at me for a few more episodes, but if the next six episodes are even HALF as good as this one, then I won't complain to much.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well ruffling up their feathers gave Chuck everything he needed to determine where Shaw was going to try to kill Sarah. Not only that, but it necessitated that whole poorly choreographed ruse, which in turn exposed Shaw as a traitor.

I just don't see what the Ring or Shaw gained by anything they did in this episode.

My best guess is that the director and the device that was taken from Ring HQ are going to be integral to completing the Ring's intersect.
    Worst case for the Ring is that they create a wedge between Shaw and the CIA. Best case is that he gives them plans for the new Intersect, removes a CIA agent from the field and leave Chuck extremely vulnerable for a period. It's not a stellar plan, but it didn't look like it was going to cost the Ring much to try.

Thomamelas on