As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft's Xbox Division Now Profitable

liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
TeamXbox: The Halo 3 Effect: Xbox Division Now Profitable

TeamXbox: Microsoft Reports Impressive Profits

I think this news is particularly interesting given the fact that everyone was predicting Microsoft would pull out of the gaming industry. They saw the shutting down of FASA and the repatriation (if I can call it that) of Bungie as a sure sign that Microsoft would not be supporting future generations of Xbox consoles for long: why would they, people asked, if they aren't making any money off of it? If one game (albeit one of the biggest games in video game history) can turn around an entire division, I don't think I'd be incorrect in predicting more Halo games coming, probably from Bungie themselves.

Does this change the opinion of the naysayers? Microsoft to be bought by Nintendo in 4 years?

liquidlogan on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only people predicting that Microsoft would pull out of the race were the retarded people like Meiz.

Couscous on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time Microsoft has been profitable though I believe that last time was for a single month, the Halo 2 launch, and not for a quarter. Also anyone who said/says that Microsoft is going to pull out of the console business is fucking retarded as this isn't at all surprising. They did predict a profit, though the whole 3 year warranty issue put a damper on that.*

*I'm not sure if they predicted a profit for last quarter and the warranty extension made it so it didn't happen, or if that happened this quarter and they made a slight profit. Regardless this really isn't suprising.

khain on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    The only people predicting that Microsoft would pull out of the race were the retarded people like Meiz.

wasn't GSK or someone also preaching that

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seriously, anyone paying a modicum of attention can see that the 360 has been doing extremely well for a while. It's a very strong system.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It'll be interesting to see whether the additional hardware market penetration that comes from the Halo 3 launch (all the Halo 1/2 people finally upgrading to a 360 just for Halo) translates into better sales of 360 games and thus a better chance of continuing profitability of the division.

devoir on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

as well as literally thirty thousand posters on GAF

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Exactly, retarded people.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I once went to NeoGAF to check out what all the fuss was about after I read some guff on gameblogs about it being the ultimate source of discussion for games.

After five minutes: WTF?

devoir on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So the question is who's supposed to eat a cock since the 360 is profitable before 2008?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So the question is who's supposed to eat a cock since the 360 is profitable before 2008?

See my sig.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »

I once went to NeoGAF to check out what all the fuss was about after I read some guff on gameblogs about it being the ultimate source of discussion for games.

After five minutes: WTF?

Dont go to gaf for conversation, but in terms of cutting edge gaming news its a one stop shop. gaf>internet>gaf

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I work at EB and, just to let you guys understand just how much Halo 3 pushed 360s out the door, we had maybe 30 between the Elites and the Pros, and we sold out of all of them within a week of Halo 3's launch. And that doesn't include the Halo 3 systems we also sold.

Also, we have a couple of people who are buying 360s just for Mass Effect. I certainly imagine this trend continuing for a while. And with the new Pro Holiday bundle, I know some people in particular are planning to pick one up as well and were just waiting for a better deal.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I can't understand this view. They've been in the industry for six years now and losing money all the way and people say they'll leave when they just predicted their first quarter of actually being profitable in 6 years? I could understand this view before the 360 was released but now its just fucking dumb.

khain on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It was Vicious_GSR, and a couple of other people living in crazy land where cupcakes grow from compost.

Here's the original thread from 3 months ago for hilarity's sake.

I'm glad to hear that the Xbox division is doing great, as I felt the amount of quality titles released by this point (2 years after launch) was not as good as it was for the Xbox at the same time. Hopefully, now we'll be hearing about new, awesome games after Mass Effect's launch, because Microsoft seemed to be ignoring anything past November at the tradeshows this year. This news about their profitability should only help boost the confidence of game developers, and Microsoft themselves.

Good for the gamer.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hahahahaha

Hahahaha

Oh, Meiz. I hope he wasn't kidding.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    titmouse, your sig is full of win.
    Archgarth wrote:
    I'm glad to hear that the Xbox division is doing great, as I felt the amount of quality titles released by this point (2 years after launch) was not as good as it was for the Xbox at the same time. Hopefully, now we'll be hearing about new, awesome games after Mass Effect's launch, because Microsoft seemed to be ignoring anything past November at the tradeshows this year. This news about their profitability should only help boost the confidence of game developers, and Microsoft themselves.

The last couple of tradeshows it seemed like Nintendo and Sony were doing the same thing. Personally I think it's a good thing, because you don't spend three years of tradeshow news watching cinematics or target renders, with all the news feeds clogged up because Metal Gear this or Mario that has a fifteen second video out.

Frankly anything that means that the developers can spend more time making the damn games instead of making PR fluff (this includes hands on demos 6 months out) is good in my book.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Archgarth wrote: »

It was Vicious_GSR, and a couple of other people living in crazy land where cupcakes grow from compost.

Here's the original thread from 3 months ago for hilarity's sake.

Good for the gamer.

If anything, I imagine that Microsoft will be pushing Halo Wars really hard. That and Fable 2. I expect those to be what Microsoft hopes will continue profitability. I think they will sell well, but I don't think they will be to what Microsoft expects of them to sell.

What other games is Microsoft publishing in 2008? The only other thing I can think of is Viva Pinata.

Also, who vows to eat their own cock if Microsoft doesn't announce Gears of War 2 at or before E3?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alan Wake is being published by Microsoft isn't it?

There's also Ninja Gaiden 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hahahahaha

Hahahaha

Oh, Meiz. I hope he wasn't kidding.

He better not have been. I PMed the avatar and sig chosen in the sales thread.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

True. Also, I just remembered about Too Human and the new Kingdom Under Fire. Still, I hope Microsoft announces something new to look forward to.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new new game announcement from Microsoft is about an unannounced Rare title. Those chaps have been far too silent for too long. Thoughts on what they are working on? They are a pretty big studio, so you could imagine them working on a couple of projects ala Viva Pinata/Kameo/PDZ. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Perfect Dark title to fill the new shooter void left by Halo, but what else might we have to look forward to?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, this is good news, but why in the hell would anyone believe that Microsoft would pull out of the gaming industry? That's, like, beyond stupendously retarded. I mean, clearly with Halo alone selling so poorly, Microsoft must be hating themselves for making a console [/extreme*weeeeeeguitarnoise*sarcasm].

And yes, I remember reading that thread back after E3. Laughing out of my chair.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't understand why people think Microsoft would pull out even if they were still losing money. Microsoft has many interests at stake and getting a foothold in the living room no matter what is part of that. I know that I still use a windows box because of how easy it is to connect everything downstairs to my media using Windows Media Connect, I'm sure their are plenty of others who feel the same. It's the same reason they entered the PMP market.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    titmouse, your sig is full of win.
    Archgarth wrote:

The last couple of tradeshows it seemed like Nintendo and Sony were doing the same thing. Personally I think it's a good thing, because you don't spend three years of tradeshow news watching cinematics or target renders, with all the news feeds clogged up because Metal Gear this or Mario that has a fifteen second video out.

Frankly anything that means that the developers can spend more time making the damn games instead of making PR fluff (this includes hands on demos 6 months out) is good in my book.

Excellent point, after all, Silicon Knights needs all the time they can get to keep Dennis Dyack off his medication ;-)

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

True. Also, I just remembered about Too Human and the new Kingdom Under Fire. Still, I hope Microsoft announces something new to look forward to.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new new game announcement from Microsoft is about an unannounced Rare title. Those chaps have been far too silent for too long. Thoughts on what they are working on? They are a pretty big studio, so you could imagine them working on a couple of projects ala Viva Pinata/Kameo/PDZ. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Perfect Dark title to fill the new shooter void left by Halo, but what else might we have to look forward to?

they're working on Viva Pinata Party Animals, a DS version of Viva Pinata, and a PC Port of Viva Pinata

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, Dyack needs to be reined in but I think the general points that he tries to make about the games industry are solid, even if he takes them a bit too far in his 'proposals'.

devoir on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Good Good. Now get back to me when the number in the bottom right is greater than zero.
    FY*       Sony**        Nintendo        Microsoft
    1998    974,000,000    629,000,000
    1999   1,130,000,000   645,000,000
    2000    730,000,000    421,000,000
    2001    -409,000,000   726,000,000
    2002    623,000,000    800,000,000     -750,000,000
    2003    939,000,000    560,000,000     -1,191,000,000
    2004    650,000,000    316,000,000     -1,215,000,000
    2005    404,000,000    777,000,000     -485,000,000
    2006    75,000,00      894,000,000     -1,262,000,000
    2007   -1,969,000,000  1,489,000,000   -1,892,000,000
    2008    -237,000,000    680,000,000                       
    Totals  2,910,000,000  7,937,000,000    -6,795,000,000

Microsoft – Entertainment and Devices Division (Home and Entertainment) through 4th Q FY 2007 ended June 30 2007
    Sony – Game division through 1st Q FY 2007 ended June 30 2007
    Nintendo – Overall through 1st Q FY 2008 ended June 30 2007. Average exchange rate: 1 US $ = 118 yen

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ah that Vicious thread was a delight to remember. MS hasn't announced anything for 08 ('cept for the fact that that's false), so therefore there isn't anything for 08? Right buddy.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

they're working on Viva Pinata Party Animals, a DS version of Viva Pinata, and a PC Port of Viva Pinata

Actually, Viva Pinata: Party Animals is being developed by Krome Studios.

Oh, and there is also Banjo 3 from assfuckton a while ago.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh shit banjo 3

want

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dr Mario Kart are you familiar with the term sunk cost

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The GSR thread was awesome.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dr Mario Kart are you familiar with the term sunk cost

No logic damn you!

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Good Good. Now get back to me when the number in the bottom right is greater than zero.
    FY*       Sony**        Nintendo        Microsoft
    1998    974,000,000    629,000,000
    1999   1,130,000,000   645,000,000
    2000    730,000,000    421,000,000
    2001    -409,000,000   726,000,000
    2002    623,000,000    800,000,000     -750,000,000
    2003    939,000,000    560,000,000     -1,191,000,000
    2004    650,000,000    316,000,000     -1,215,000,000
    2005    404,000,000    777,000,000     -485,000,000
    2006    75,000,00      894,000,000     -1,262,000,000
    2007   -1,969,000,000  1,489,000,000   -1,892,000,000
    2008    -237,000,000    680,000,000                       
    Totals  2,910,000,000  7,937,000,000    -6,795,000,000

Microsoft – Entertainment and Devices Division (Home and Entertainment) through 4th Q FY 2007 ended June 30 2007
    Sony – Game division through 1st Q FY 2007 ended June 30 2007
    Nintendo – Overall through 1st Q FY 2008 ended June 30 2007. Average exchange rate: 1 US $ = 118 yen

I don't understand. So Microsoft has run a loss over these years and this is starting a trend to bring profitability therefore, what, lets ignore it? Sorry, this isn't going to fly. I'd say this is a positive step in the right direction and I think pretty much every non-Malthusian would agree. The sky isn't falling.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I wonder how much profit Nintendo and Sony made during their first years into the console markets.

devoir on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    oh shit banjo 3

want

<3

ahahaha I'd forgotten about that crazy old thread, bloody funny!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The success of Bioshock has me thinking about something. I'm wondering if the interest of the hardcore gamers somehow transfered over to a lot of moderately-casual players, or if it was just a successful marketing/advertising campaign that made it so successful.

If it was word of mouth from the harcore market, then I wonder how things will turn out for games like Alan Wake and Fallout 3, that are also successors to fondly remembered series.

Speaking of Alan Wake, that's been kind of MIA for the year, hasn't it? I hope it gets a big push at the tradeshows next year, and actually gets out the door by next fall.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The success of Bioshock has me thinking about something. I'm wondering if the interest of the hardcore gamers somehow transfered over to a lot of moderately-casual players, or if it was just a successful marketing/advertising campaign that made it so successful.

If it was word of mouth from the harcore market, then I wonder how things will turn out for games like Alan Wake and Fallout 3, that are also successors to fondly remembered series.

Speaking of Alan Wake, that's been kind of MIA for the year, hasn't it? I hope it gets a big push at the tradeshows next year, and actually gets out the door by next fall.

I think what sold Bioshock more than any of that was that it was the best game of the year. But I also have to say that at my EB, whenever somebody was looking for a new muse for their 360, my co-workers and I insisted on Bioshock. So I think its a little bit of both.

I think the only reason we haven't heard a lot about Alan Wake is because much of the stuff we saw before seemed to be conceptual in nature, showing off the atmosphere of the game more than anything else. I believe they are aiming for a 2008 release date, so I'm sure we'll see more by E3. But wtf, Alan Wake is successor? To what? Surely you don't mean Max Payne.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I think what sold Bioshock more than any of that was that it was the best game of the year. But I also have to say that at my EB, whenever somebody was looking for a new muse for their 360, my co-workers and I insisted on Bioshock. So I think its a little bit of both.

I think the only reason we haven't heard a lot about Alan Wake is because much of the stuff we saw before seemed to be conceptual in nature, showing off the atmosphere of the game more than anything else. I believe they are aiming for a 2008 release date, so I'm sure we'll see more by E3. But wtf, Alan Wake is successor? To what? Surely you don't mean Max Payne.

Stylistically, not necessarily in gameplay terms. Besides, every time I read about it Max Payne is brought up, so it's definitely being billed that way to some extent.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Stylistically, not necessarily in gameplay terms. Besides, every time I read about it Max Payne is brought up, so it's definitely being billed that way to some extent.

I hope it does have similar story telling to Max Payne. Max Payne 2 was probably the most fun I've ever had in a game and I demand a sequel.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well, I guess in the same way that everytime Blizzard has a new game someone mentions Diablo 2 and Starcraft, that's what's happening here.

devoir on