As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will Wright: Spore coming to Wii, and his gaming likes and dislikes

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
http://savingprogress.com/will-wright-confirms-spore-for-wii-loves-new-gen-but-not-next-gen/
In an interview with Guardian Unlimited, Sim series creator Will Wright confirmed that EA is working on a Wii version of Spore, bringing the total amount of confirmed platforms for the game to four - PC, Mac, DS, and Wii. No release date was mentioned, but the PC version of Spore is about six months away. Also in the interview Wright stated then restated his love for Guitar Hero and all things Nintendo, saying that he likes to check things out on Wii and plays a lot of Advance Wars DS. When asked about Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 he said, “the only next gen system I’ve seen is the Wii,” and that PS3 and 360 games feel just like last generation but with small improvements, while Wii “feels like a major jump” and is “the most significant thing that’s happened, at least on the console side, in quite a while.” PC is still his favorite platform though, as he thinks it has the best input method.

I hope they make it specifically for Wii, not just a crappy port of the PC version, as he said they were doing to do with the DS version.

bruin on

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hope they can keep all of the community features for a Wii version, only without much storage space on the Wii we might miss out on the whole global network of player created species and things.

Although I'd probably be happy with being able to send my species to invade and conquer my friends' over Wii Connect24.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    hey, now i might actually get spore!

ha ha, just kidding

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    I hope they can keep all of the community features for a Wii version, only without much storage space on the Wii we might miss out on the whole global network of player created species and things.

One of the features I read was that the actual memory size of each species would be very small. So the Wii could handle it. Maybe they'll let you set up how many species you can encounter or something.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not long to go until my Tyranid horde engulfs the galaxy under a chitinous fist of dread!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They should find a way to make this interact with Miis. Either to somehow use the Miis in the Spore world or by really improving the options for your Miis.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This needs to be on the W... oh, wait.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In other unrelated news, Spore has now been delayed until a two headed lizard hatches from a chicken egg while the moons wanes in a leap year.

Man, now I hope I can make a race of lizard-spawning chicken men in Spore. Which is impossible, but sure would be cool.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hope they can keep all of the community features for a Wii version, only without much storage space on the Wii we'll more than likely miss out on the whole global network of player created species and things.

Fixed.

I love Nintendo, but the Wii has more than it's share of faults this generation, despite being the best seller.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't really get why everybody has been clamoring for this. I'm not sure how much of the procedural stuff the Wii can handle, but I don't see any way in which motion controls would really improve the game at all. It's good news for people without gaming PCs, but beyond that what's the big deal?

Zek on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't really get why everybody has been clamoring for this. I'm not sure how much of the procedural stuff the Wii can handle, but I don't see any way in which motion controls would really improve the game at all. It's good news for people without gaming PCs, but beyond that what's the big deal?

Personally it seems like it would work great in the making/modifing parts of the game. I don't know how any other part of the game controls with a PC and I don't really care about any other part of the game, but the creation mode stuff should work pretty well with the remote. Still getting it for my PC tho...

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Spore is also being marketed to the people who like the sims. People who like the sims are probably more likely to own a Wii than any other system.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    bloodwingsbloodwings Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    just another port.

bloodwings on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes.

Spore was pretty much the only thing tempting me back towards PC gaming. Crisis averted!

japan on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I doubt it uses motion controls much or at all

It's probably the pointer they were interested in

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I hope they make it specifically for Wii, not just a crappy port of the PC version, as he said they were doing to do with the DS version.

I'm kind of hoping it is just a port. The way Wright's been explaining Spore on other platforms, it really seems like each would be a separate game (i.e., he said one version might focus exclusively on the tribal level, etc), and so my brain would force me to buy several versions. If it somehow is just a port, then I only have to buy it for one platform, PC or Wii. Seems like it would be easy enough to port, since the Wiimote functions well as a mouse.

Bonus points if the user-made content can be pulled from PC, Mac, and Wii, regardless of version.

This will never happen.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As far as I'm concerned, the main benefit here is that I don't have to upgrade my pc to play the thing.
    This is good news, because I can't afford to.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Will has been talking about Spore a lot these past few days. This is a good sign.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They said the game was finished a few months back, but they are just now applying tons and tons of polish to ensure that our fucked up creations can actually animate and work properly.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What he should have said is that the PS3 and 360 made leaps in an area he doesn't care as much about, namely graphics...because the fact that they didn't make any leaps over the last generation is false. They've made huge strides over the last generation graphically, which is not a small "bump".

It's just a bump in an area that isn't his point of emphasis.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://savingprogress.com/will-wright-confirms-spore-for-wii-loves-new-gen-but-not-next-gen/
    In an interview with Guardian Unlimited, Sim series creator Will Wright confirmed that EA is working on a Wii version of Spore, bringing the total amount of confirmed platforms for the game to four - PC, Mac, DS, and Wii. No release date was mentioned, but the PC version of Spore is about six months away. Also in the interview Wright stated then restated his love for Guitar Hero and all things Nintendo, saying that he likes to check things out on Wii and plays a lot of Advance Wars DS. When asked about Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 he said, “the only next gen system I’ve seen is the Wii,” and that PS3 and 360 games feel just like last generation but with small improvements, while Wii “feels like a major jump” and is “the most significant thing that’s happened, at least on the console side, in quite a while.” PC is still his favorite platform though, as he thinks it has the best input method.

Who let Will out of his box?

Get back to work on Spore.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They said the game was finished a few months back, but they are just now applying tons and tons of polish to ensure that our fucked up creations can actually animate and work properly.

It's "finished". Now they're doing a ton of serious play testing to make sure everything works along with balancing and whatnot, and that the average person can pick it up and not have any problems.

rayofash on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    What he should have said is that the PS3 and 360 made leaps in an area he doesn't care as much about, namely graphics...because the fact that they didn't make any leaps over the last generation is false. They've made huge strides over the last generation graphically, which is not a small "bump".

It's just a bump in an area that isn't his point of emphasis.
    It just feels like a small bump because, while in real-time, it still doesn't look as good as the 3D we've seen in theaters.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FUCK. YES.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If we get a perfect 1:1 port of the PC version for the Wii I might actually consider grabbing this one over the PC Spore, presuming that it gets full online support. I don't however see how the Wii Remote will add anything to the game, other then enabling you to play it from the couch.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't get why people worry the Wii version will be downgraded. Everything we've seen of Spore seems to indicate that they're trying to make it as un-computer-intensive as possible. (Haven't most of the demo versions been running on laptops?) Not to mention one of the earliest revelations about the game was that they'd found a way to take creature data and compress it down to 1KB or some ridiculously low amount like that, so I wouldn't worry about it taking up space.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You know, this game would be an excellent opportunity for Nintendo to launch it's external usb hard drive.

I'm just saying.

In any case, I'm pretty happy about this. My PC has fallen way behind in terms of graphical power, and I probably wouldn't have been able to play this (or it would've played terribly). Now I might actually have a chance to play it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HAH! Pun!
    "I wouldn't worry about it taking up space.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Yes.

Spore was pretty much the only thing tempting me back towards PC gaming. Crisis averted!

I echo this man's sentiment. I've been kinda thinking about moving away from PC gaming, and... I mean, there's obviously a lot going on there, but it's just hard to keep up with the times, especially because of ALL of the games that are coming out this fall/winter. That, plus consoles are starting to have lots of the same features as far as online play, etc. I was really using Hellgate and HL2 as an excuse, plus MMOs. Hellgate is apparently not that great in beta, HL2 is on consoles, and... Now Spore will be, too! That was the last thing tethering me to my gaming PC... I mean, I have this Dell XPS laptop, spent all of this money on it, and I feel like it's already extremely outdated. So, consoles.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i would not look forward to creating my arachnid warriors with the wiimote

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Yes.

I echo this man's sentiment. I've been kinda thinking about moving away from PC gaming, and... I mean, there's obviously a lot going on there, but it's just hard to keep up with the times, especially because of ALL of the games that are coming out this fall/winter. That, plus consoles are starting to have lots of the same features as far as online play, etc. I was really using Hellgate and HL2 as an excuse, plus MMOs. Hellgate is apparently not that great in beta, HL2 is on consoles, and... Now Spore will be, too! That was the last thing tethering me to my gaming PC... I mean, I have this Dell XPS laptop, spent all of this money on it, and I feel like it's already extremely outdated. So, consoles.
    Yeah, I feel the same way as well, which is why I kind of stopped upgrading my PC. It works well enough for Office and the internet, and that's just about all I use it for anymore. The thing is, the line is being blurred more and more between consoles and PCs, so it's honestly becoming less necessary to even own a PC for gaming anymore. With the 360, you have a rich online service and media integration, with the PS3 you have really top-shelf hardware, and with the Wii you have the best internet browser yet on a console (especially now with the usb keyboard support).

If all you do on your PC is play games, watch movies and video, and browse the web, you can get away with buying a Wii and a 360 and get nearly the full PC experience at the same or much less of the cost, along with the extra features and exclusive games that consoles bring to the table. Now don't get me wrong, there's still a lot that consoles can't do, and I still have a lot of love for the PC as a platform, I'm just saying that consoles are getting to the point now that there isn't much anymore a PC can do that a console can't.

In any case, that's kind of off-topic I guess. So yeah, I'm happy about Spore. Just more love for the Wii.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    While I'm glad this is coming to the Wii, and I'm sure it will sell well there, I have no interest in anything but the PC version.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    While I'm glad this is coming to the Wii, and I'm sure it will sell well there, I have no interest in anything but the PC version.

Amen brotha'! Testify!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    For the record, I have no objection to PC gaming in principle, it's just that I've switched to Linux. Fuck buying Windows all over again.

I still game on my PC, through the wonder that is WINE.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    For the record, I have no objection to PC gaming in principle, it's just that I've switched to Linux. Fuck buying Windows all over again.

I could never get WINE working right. Otherwise I myself wouldn't be in Windows.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

I could never get WINE working right. Otherwise I myself wouldn't be in Windows.

It doesn't work with everything, and it's usually troublesome. For a lot of things it isn't any more difficult than getting DOS games to work in XP, but I don't think it's ever "just worked" for me.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I would never consider playing Spore on anything but a PC.

I mean, Im sure these ports will be competent but Spore to me is a PC game, will be a Pc game and has always been primarily a PC game. I couldnt imagine playing elsewhere.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I hope they can keep all of the community features for a Wii version, only without much storage space on the Wii we'll more than likely miss out on the whole global network of player created species and things.

Fixed.

I love Nintendo, but the Wii has more than it's share of faults this generation, despite being the best seller.

Spore uses compression schemes that can reach upwards of 100-to-1. On average a creature takes up like 5 kilobytes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I mean, Im sure these ports will be competent but Spore to me is a PC game, will be a Pc game and has always been primarily a PC game. I couldnt imagine playing elsewhere.

This smells suspiciously of snobbery.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

This smells suspiciously of snobbery.

Not at all.

In the same way I would play World In Conflict on PC instead of 360, just seems 'right'. Control, platform, online etc.

I dont doubt a Wii version will be competent, but I would certainly not actively seek it out unless I was unable to play the Pc version.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

"We will be releasing a crappy PC port of Spore on the DS."

Also, Scarab isn't being a snob, though there's something to be said for PC snobbery.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on