As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I'm trying to be a bit more dynamic (er...pics are real big)

MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, here's my third digital art dump for ya'll to crit.

This here would is my next big piece, or wallpaper worthy as I dub it. I think there may be too much going on at once, but it was taking me so long to do in the end I'd figure I'd just go ahead and have fun with it and just go nuts and hope for the best

Showdown_by_AdventDawn.jpg

This here is my first attempt at speed art...but it still took me about an hour to do.

Roland_on_Speed_by_AdventDawn.jpg

And finally a basic concept sketch usin my wacom :)

Concept_Art_Gamma_by_AdventDawn.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
Mykonos on

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    What's with the lame filters?

Grifter on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Good stuff, man. The only criticism I could offer would be with this one.
    Showdown_by_AdventDawn.jpg

The guy on the left is positioned a little weird for him to be traveling in the direction it suggests he's heading. Mostly it seems like his legs are dangling in a way that implies he's going at a downward angle, not directly towards the other character.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The character on the right of your first piece's pose is trouble, I think. The blade of his sword appears to be pointing towards him, yet he's holding it backhanded as if he's going to swing it at the character on the right (or already has). In reference to his head that back arm also feels very out of place. Try standing and mimicing that pose, it's extremely uncomfortable on the arm (I may ever daresay it would break it).

That's probably solvable by turning the body a bit more and using lighting to give the character more depth. Right now, if I look at his right arm individually and his left arm individually, I have no way of knowing which is closer and which is further. Same problem exists with the legs. The foreshortening on the left character is much better in this regard (i.e. the gun).

Keep it up, though. Working on dynamic poses is haaaaaaard, so I admire your drive to challange yourself.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    First, lose the filters.

Second Your poses are kinda stiff, get in a life drawing class if you aren't already.

Lastly and second most importantly, the colors are no good. I'm sure there are some decent lighting tutorials around that could give you specific ideas on the techniques but basically it looks now like you are thinking "skin: peach, kneepad: white, scarf(?): green" then painting without thinking of how the whole scene looks in the context of the light. Something that shade of green will almost never look like that in real life. This is random photo i found on GIS: photo. See how the light across the image affects the color of the scarf even more than the actual color of the scarf itself?

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Another way of explaining it is looking at the photo in my sig. You know the fish are orange and white but if you actually open up the photo in photoshop and look at the "white" section of the fish with the eyedropper tool,
    the actual color is green.jpg

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    thanks for the crit guys, and u made a good point with how the colors and lighting works Tim. Heres another piece I forgot to post up sooner. It took me about hour and 50 or so min, so i guess its another speed art? :/

Panayoties_AKA_Baraquiel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    honestly I think you would be better off with a pencil and paper at this point.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    lets talk about shadows for a second.

remember that a shadow isn't just black, its a desaturated version of your base color. which means when u want to place a shadow, use a slightly darker value but shift it more towards gray.

lilchingch0ng on