As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HELP] 360 DVD sounds is really low.

JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Whenever I play a movie or CD in my Xbox 360 the sound is WAY lower than if I was playing a game. Any ideas? I have to max out the volume on my television just to hear dialogue. I've done some searching on Google and have come up empty. I don't have the HD-DVD add on.

Thanks in advance.

JRosey on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    have you used other consoles and had similar problems? or is it just this console.

How is the console connected to the TV?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Other cosoles are fine. I'm using component cables. The thing that gets me is that games are normal volume, just movies are quiet.

JRosey on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have this same problem. I never fixed it, I just turned up my volume when I wanted to watch a movie.

If anyone could fix it, I'd be appreciative as well.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It could be a problem, without hearing it personally, sometimes it's hard to tell. Some things to do are go all through your 360's audio settings, turn it off and on again, try it on a different TV or different power outlet.

I do remember hearing that DVDs are always quieter than a lot of other stuff, because movies have to have all sorts of sounds from like, whispers to car crashes and explosions. So in order to give loud things the proper relative volume levels compared to a whisper, voices aren't really that loud by comparison. So people have to turn up the volume sometimes because of this movie way of balancing the sound level range.

capable heart on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DVDs are mastered lower than video games, hence you'll have to turn it up.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's pretty much what Google has told me too, but when I'm listening to a game at volume 20 and a movie at volume 100, I suspect something other than mastering differences. Bugger.

I have tried it on two televisions, same problem.

JRosey on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm... there's not that much of a difference on my TV. I play games on Volume 35 on my TV and it's pretty loud.

I have a general noise level at 45 with DVD movies, sometimes I have to turn it up to 47. Not sure what's wrong, then.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always had this issue, PS2, Xbox, and 360 all do this. It is just the way things are.
    running it through a surround sound system has made it mostly a non-issue, for me. The only time it bothers me is when I've forgotten to turn the volume back down and tossed in a game after watching a DVD. Damn near blows my head off my shoulders.

Accualt on