Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[IC] Odam: Names of Old (dungeon crawl and tea party)

HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
The Lost Chronicles of Odam:
Names of Old



It has been many years since the reckoning of the black days... and the ages before seem as but a memory to all but the oldest and wisest. That which was lost is being slowly regained, like fields that remember their vitality in the dawn. Words thought forgotten are once again heard... as though it were a dream awakening, whispered by the land itself.



Chapter 1 - Fire


"GET DOWN!"

The young elf battered away another torrent of burning books. He shielded his face from the flames, in a full sweat. It had been such a fine morning, too... and yet somehow here he was, surrounded by fire with a human and a gnome, of all things. Everywhere they turned it seemed they met another wall of flames. Had anyone else made it out? They shielded their eyes and faces from the intense heat.

"Stay calm! The hallway may still be intact... it's our only chance!"

---

Laycirra's fingers gripped the fur of her companion tightly as they barreled through the glade. Her eyes teared from the smoke as they rushed onward toward the source of what was most certainly a large fire. But something was odd about the smell. It wasn't the scent of burning trees and brush. She had hoped that her arrival might aid the escape of a few creatures... but if her nose was leading them where she thought it might be... they would find more than just imperiled deer and birds.

Horseshoe on
dmsigsmallek3.jpg
«1345678

Posts

  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Neil followed as fast as his little legs could carry him. The elf looked like he knew the place better than he did. Books are not exactly a Gnomish forte, since the liches can retain all the knowledge anyone needs.

    "Damnation" he swore and pulled his scroll case from his pack as he moved, tucking it under his cloak, making sure it was safe from the flames.

  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra held herself close to the wolf, best to keep the smoke out of her mouth and nose. "Faster, Lidalla!" she hissed through the smoke, and kicked at the wolf's sides. "Move faster!"

    Her mind wondered after the strange scent to the smoke, but didn't give it deep thought. Her mind was in the moment, on the fire, the scent of the smoke, and keeping tight to Lidalla.

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As Tyr called out and pointed to the hallway, the heat rushed into his lungs and he felt like his insides were burning. He pushed aside the sting and focused on their escape route and the thought of cool air.

    "Quick, follow me - "

    He was interrupted by a blazing wooden beam which he barely forced to the side with his gryphon-emblazoned shield.

    "... before we're roasted!"

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Christine shrieked as the fiery beam dropped to the ground next to Tyr, jumping slightly. She sighed, brushing off her brow. "Jeez, that was a close one..."

    Drawing a pistol and keeping it handy just in case, she moved to stand behind Tyr.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The three vaulted over the burning timbers as the hall came into view... made mostly of stone, it was safe but for the burning tapestries... and the door ahead, though made of wood, was strangely unscorched.

    --

    Lydilla and Laycirra could finally see through the smoke to behold a great stone wall before them, with smoke pouring through a great hole punched through it. She had been right after all. It was much more than a forest fire.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Neil concentrates for a moment, "te ne, qulod" and casts Detect Magic [Concentration (1d20+9=26) ] and looks at the door before moving to open the portal to the Elven Library.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The gnome's magical ability was astute indeed... the door gave off a bright glow to his his gleaming eyes, as if it were made of luminous material.
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lidalla slowed to a stop as the stone wall came into sight, but Laycirra prodded the wolf along until they were closer before climbing down from her friend. She approached more cautiously on foot, and Lidalla, standing taller than the halfling herself, kept nearby.

    Laycirra was a little confounded. She hadn't been in the area long, but she definitely didn't understand how she'd manage to pass over something like this altogether. Still... if it was on fire, that meant someone was nearby.

    Someone was nearby and starting fires.

    The priestess approached the wall cautiously, and plucked the whip from her belt. "Stay back," she whispered to Lidalla in the smooth halfling language. "Keep your eyes open," she added.

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tyr, with flames lapping at his back, was more prone to action.

    He raised a booted heel as the gnome waved his hands, performing the his strange arcane gestures (he never got the gist of what all the magicking was about when you had blackpowder) and gave the door a swift kick. The door stood defiantly.

    "Nipjack," Tyr elf-swore.

    1d20+5=24, 1d3+2=3 damage for be-booted foot

    (EDIT: Arcane Lock'd)

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    {Writing on or near the door}

    "Its locked, we may have to break it open" Ill see what i can do. Neil continues to concentrate to see if he can find anything else out.

    Spoiler:

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra gazed for a moment at the wall and the burning buldings that lay within.

    Elvish. She might has suspected as much... no wonder she hadn't seen it before. Her suspicions had been confirmed... there was something different in this part of the woods.

    But for all the chaos of the fire, there seemed to be not a soul running about within the stone walls. And above the roar of flames she could occasionally hear the wailing of voices... whoever was here, it seemed that they must be trapped.

    ---

    The young elf knocked himself flat on his back as his boot rebounded from the locked door. Neil couldn't help but suppress a slight giggle as Tyr scrambled to his feet.
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    She pondered that, though. Elvish? No, it couldn't be. It had to be an imitation, or... or very, very old. That would explain why it looked so worn out, why so much of it had been overtaken by the forest already. Besides, hadn't she heard that the elves all lived on boats or something ridiculous like that? She put it out of her mind. That didn't matter.

    She approached closer to the hole in the wall, and let the coiled whip fall from her hands, ready to lash out at the first sign of danger. "Hello?" she called into the building. "Is anyone in there?"

    Something in her head told her not to make her presence so obvious, but...
    Spoiler:

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not being quite as good at supressing herself, Christine giggles and takes a moment to check for any windows or other exits. "Maybe you should try again? I'm sure you can do it!"

  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The gnome spoke up "Unless someone can hack through this thing or is extremly strong, we need to dispel or knock open the door.

    Alternatly, we can hide for 3 hours safely. Though i doubt the fire will burn out by then.

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A bit embarassed, Tyr righted himself and turned his attention towards the conflagration behind them. Ah, if only he were home doing drills, riding the training gryphons over the ocean! There was all the water you could dream of when your city was a giant ship drifting through the high seas.

    Water, where was the damned water when you needed it?

    listen check (1d20+3=10)

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Why would someone do that?" Christine tilts her head at Neil's assessment, before pausing and raising a finger to her lips. "I thought I heard someone..."

    She straightens up, shouting cheerfully. "Hiiiii, is someone there?"

  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Oh, and before we continue, the next time you elves build a hidden library, dont do it in the middle of so much flamable material. But for the moment, it looks like we are safe in here."

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Elven? What are you talking about? This text isn't even in Elvish. We elves don't build libraries. We build machines."

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The halfling cautiously made her way into the buildings, easily keeping below the flames. She kept the long whip at the ready, trailing behind her. She snapped her fingers once, loud, to let Lidalla know it would be alright to come closer.

    "Where are you?" she called out into the flame-licked hallways. "Are you alright?"

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Christine smiles, still cheerful as ever. "Yes, we're alright. We seem to be locked in, though...is there something you could do to help us, please?"

  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra listened closely to the voice. She was wary, alright -- it had to be a trap. She kept in mind where the noise was coming from, and approached very cautiously, mindful of the fire and now the building itself, certain, now, that someone (something?) would be in here, ready to leap out at her...
    Spoiler:

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Who are you talking to? Hello?"

    He began tapping on the walls. "Is someone out there?"

    As the flames slowly crept their way to the door, breathing heat onto Tyr's back like a dragon (he didn't like this extreme heat dammit), his voice grew in intensity, pitch, and volume.

    "If someone's out there we'd really appreciate some help before we're cooked like a Morningtide Gabbroc," his voice a tiny-bit anxious.

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The halfling priestess stepped up her pace, even against her better judgement. She looked back to see Lidalla standing in the space of the knocked-in wall, and, reassured, moved onward. "I'm here," she called out. "Keep talking, I can hardly hear you!" She spoke in a broken Common, noticeable mostly through the inappropriate vowel-sounds most of the words carried. The halfling accent was severe, not that many people this far out would recognize it.

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "We cant exit here, might as well wait until the fire burns itself out" the Gnome said and sat down, "unless you want to fight your way back through the flames or can dispell or knock the door"

  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "There's someone outside! I can hear them! And what do you mean, burn itself out? For that to happen, it would have to consume everything flammable. And we're pretty damned flammable!"

    Tyr continued to grope at the wall. His throat was starting to dry up so he cleared it.

    "I think I can hear you! There's three of us trapped in here! Our magicker says the door is locked magically!"

    He was yelling and after the shout his throat hurt. He swallowed hard and tried to wet his lips. No dice.

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sweating, Christine moves forward and knocks on the wooden door a few times. "Excuse me, Miss? It is getting quite hot in here, so if you have any ideas..."

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra moved closer to the burning building... the rest of the structures inside the wall seemed sheathed in flame as well, but this was the only one that appeared to have voices coming from within.

    The stone of the walls was getting warmer, and there was a torrent of flame coming from most of the windows... something was different about it... the flames had odd colors here and there... but then again, nothing she'd ever heard about elves was all that normal.

    The voices seemed to be coming from near a large door at the front of the building. It was large, solid wood... and apparently the only wooden thing that wasn't on fire.

    ---

    As Neil glanced around the room, the vision granted him by his spell picked up a few more flickers from here and there... there was some sort of shelf across the room that gave off a certain light.

    Scampering through the falling embers, the gnome darted to the shelf, which held a simple leather case. Fanning the flames from it, he found several scrolls... a few of which were still intact.
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra made her way to the door, keeping low to stay out of the smoke (it wasn't terribly difficult for her, of course.) "I'm here," she said, and pounded on the door. "Hear me?"

    She was pretty certain this was it, and when voices from behind gave their response, she first grabbed the door and pulled. Then she pushed. When she was certain it really was locked, she pressed her tiny palm against the door and mumbled something under her breath. She hoped this would work; it usually did, but it wasn't often she had to break through magical wards.
    Spoiler:

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Neil reads the scroll of knock, and opens the door, after making the customary request.

    "that should do it, no sense staying in here, lets get going" the Gnome says as he stores the rest of the scrolls in his case.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A blast of heat escaped through the door as Laycirra managed to warp a small, halfling shaped hole in it. She saw the drenched faces of an elf and human on the other side, gasping for breath... and beyond through the rippling distortion, she saw a gnome in peril.

    Neil thumbed through the scrolls with a gleam in his eye... surely he had found the way out of their predicament! But enthusiasm waned as he looked into the flames gathering on the floor nearby... and saw an impish face looking back at him...
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tyr was passingly familiar with mechanics (like any good upright elf), and thus knew a little bit about thermology.

    He licked his lips before speaking. "Ever cooked a meal? If we let the fire burn, this will be our crock-pot."

    His point was slightly detracted from by the sudden twang of magick in the air that was focused on the now-warped door. As the rush of cool air hit him he couldn't help but grin. "Thank the Elf-father! Not a moment too soon!"

    Initiative (1d20+3=11)

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra peeked in. "Is everyone well?" She glanced around with big eyes. "I think the door will be alright, now ..." She ran her tattooed wrist over her forehead; she hadn't even noticed that she'd begun to sweat under this heat.

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Looks like we didn't need the help after all, haha. Thanks for trying, though!" Christine said enthusiastically, unaware of the danger nearby.

  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The others looked on as Neil yelped and pointed at the face in the flame... which soon gathered itself into a small, hissing, malevolent creature... small, humanoid, horned, winged, and fanged... its every feature alight with fire!
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tyr immediately went from happy relief to stern battle readiness when he saw the imp; wasting not a moment, he moved quickly to the malevolent little creature. He drew his blade in a fluid motion and brought his shield forward, his golden eyes glittering in the flames (for all paladins of Cam Ithel have golden eyes; it is the mark of the Elf-father's chosen).

    He quickly made a stab at the little craven creature, but it beat its wings and rose up defiantly, out of the path of Tyr's blade. It cackled wickedly and Tyranithilamatar elf-swore for the second time today.

    (Moving diagonally up and right, then up to engage the mephit)

    Attacking the imp, FAILED (1d20+7=14, 1d8+2=5)

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The fiery beast squealed and raked at Tyr with its burning claws, spitting embers from its howling maw.
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tyr's swing carried him too far past the little creature, and he realized he was completely exposed; the little beast knew instinctively that now was the time to try and detach fleshy bits from the big mean elf in front of him; and it did just that, both gouging and burning Tyr with its heated and incredibly sharp claws. Tyr felt the blood trickle down his face, but his resolve was not shaken.

    Gettin' slit up by a mephit (1d20+10=11, 1d20+10=13)
    Gettin' slit up by a mephit (Dmg) (2d3=4, 2d4=4)
    (Horseshoe our dice suck)

    Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "Tyr, are you alright?!" Christine jumped at the mephit's attack, backing up slightly to try and put a bit of distance between her and it. "I'm sorry!" She proclaimed, leveling her elven-made pistol and firing. Her aim was true; with a loud bang the bullet struck the creature and continued on, sending small splinters of wood flying in each direction from the flaming wooden beam it collided with.

  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laycirra flinched at the sound of the gunshot. What was that! It was so loud! But she didn't have lots of time to worry, she could hear violence happening just out of sight! So she made her way through the warped opening of the doorway. She whispered for Lidalla to wait there, behind the door.

    She moved up and past the girl with the exploding wand until the beastie was in sight, but she was absolutely certain it was somethin' she'd never seen before. Still, it was lighting things on fire in her woods... so she had to do something about it!

    She lashed out with her whip, but only struck the warm stone floor near the thing. It was quicker than she'd expected.

    sometimes you just gotta do a thing
«1345678
Sign In or Register to comment.