As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Find Me A Phone...Please

TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
After looking for some time across several company websites and review pages I have been led to be stumped. I am in the market for a new cell phone that would provide me a good set of scheduling options so that I can keep track of weekly appointments (such as class schedules that will be shown as reoccurring events) and can sync with a good calendar application (such as Rainlendar). A good UI is also something I've been looking out for since trying to look at a used/refurbished Blackberry has led me to dislike their plain text ways and infinite submenu options.

My previous cell phone was a Sony Ericsson T616 before it was stolen/lost and I think I may be a bit spoiled on ascetics as a result, which is why I seem to enjoy the look of the M600i that they've got out.

If you've got yourself a sweet setup that cost you less then $200CAD (USD also applies since our dollar is a bit higher then you're own), or you know someone who you've been envious of that has something like it then please do tell me about it's good parts and the bad. A poor keypad will make for a good dissuasive argument for example.

Pictures are always welcome. Thanks

steam_sig.png
Malkor wrote: »
Rolo wrote: »
opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
Bama wrote: »
Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
FCD wrote: »
Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
Trenog on

• DigitalDistortedDigitalDistorted Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, you want a phone for under $200 that has a GUI based calendaring software that syncs with something that isn't Outlook?

Best of luck.

DigitalDistorted on
  • TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, it doesn't have to be anything spectacular as you seem to indicate. If it doesn't do the syncing then it's not a big loss, and the calender stuff I'm looking for in particular just has to be able to keep track of reoccurring events that happen on a weekly basis. Like I mentioned, I want to be able to keep my school schedule in their as part of a calender, not as a note.

If there is something that can meet those sorts of requirements then it's okay. If there isn't anything like it, then some opinions on good phones will still help me regardless and I will look into something a bit more basic then.

Plus, refurb/used isn't a problem if the quality of the phone isn't crap. I just would really like a second opinion at the very least, and some good options at the very best.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like you might be looking for a smartphone, but I don't know that there are any for ~$200, unless you ebay a used one or something.

I also don't think any of them sync with Rainlendar, but I sync mine with Thunderbird instead of Outlook.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
    edited October 2007
    Yes, it would seem so.

The two that are at the border that seem to be appealing are the Sony Ericsson m600i
    77503055_o.jpg
    Sony Ericsson m600i

and the Nokia E50
    7908_1.JPG
    Nokia E50

Right now they both go for about $200 with around $30 shipping on average for a new model. I'd like to know however if there are any earlier models that provide similar sorts of features, or competitive models that are with better features (at a more affordable price) or price (with similar features). I'm trying to determine this myself as well, but as the op put forward, I'd like other people's opinions on the matter.

Even if someone could convince me to get a used Blackberry otherwise, that'd be great. I would like to be able to shake off the feeling that the Blackberry is a cold unfeeling creature.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

• RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would second the Nokia E50, but if you don't like digging through endless submenus, then S60 may not be for you.

If you're willing to forgive that, it's worth a shot. I loves me some some Nokia E and N series (my current phone is the Nokia E61).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
    edited October 2007
    Trenog wrote: »
    Yes, it would seem so.
    Even if someone could convince me to get a used Blackberry otherwise, that'd be great. I would like to be able to shake off the feeling that the Blackberry is a cold unfeeling creature.

I got the Pearl off Amazon about six months ago on a killer deal - they gave me $75 total BACK through the mail to take the phone. As in, zero dollars out of pocket. They gave me money to take the phone - of course with the two year contract. But still even if I had to bail out of that, it would be cheaper then buying the phone at market rate.

Anyway, they're great phones. I used to think i HATED double tap and refused to get it, but then I saw the form factor of the pearl and realized I don't want a full sized smart phone in my pocket all day. I got used to the double tap and i find it works just fine and dandy.

I use the calendar on a regular basis and love it. It's great for exactly what you want to do. Heck, i can email another Gmail user with an appointment and they can accept it into their own phone (which i thought was f'n cool) without having the Enterprise server. Of course, it synchs perfectly well with Outlook - i don't know about other softwares. The contacts can be synchronized with outlook as well, which is GREAT for initial set up; you don't have to enter all your phone numbers by typing them in.

Also, bluetooth headset voice dialing - i love this feature, but it's not the first phone i've used that has it. With the amount I drive, this is keeping me from buying an iPhone.

If you can handle the full size, I'd recommend that one. The internet browser is pretty good on the thing (i read the SA forums on it). I have two gmail accounts that synch with it.

The downsides to the Pearl:

The processor can be a little bit on the slow side and will give you some slowdowns at points. I forgive it this shortcoming considering how much they pack into such a tiny phone.

Battery life is nothing special, if not a little low. But I have a charger at work, in my car, and at home, so it's not really a problem.

Myself and my coworker both have them, and each have noticed a slight lag in between pushing the talk button and actually being able to talk (i suspect due to a slightly slower processor). THe call is actually answered, though, so you'll be saying "Hello" and they won't hear it. Can be annoying.

Check this out:
    http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-8320-Curve-Titanium-T-Mobile/dp/B000W79GQA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-1351717-7839801?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1193759782&sr=8-2

$75 out of pocket to get the phone, with $125 back through the mail. I got my rebate from tMobile EXTREMELY fast - like within two weeks. I was shocked as all hell to get it that fast.

My work gives this as our corporate BlackBerry:
    http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Blackberry-8700g-Phone-T-Mobile/dp/B000FEHG76/ref=pd_bbs_8/103-1351717-7839801?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1193759890&sr=8-8

It's got a very sick screen, lots of battery life, all the good features mentioned above, in a full sized package.

DigitalDistorted on
    edited October 2007
    Doing a bit more research into price and all that jazz it seems like the Blackberry 7130c is a nice phone despite my initial reactions to the Blackberry lineup. Plus it is available used/refurbished(?) on ebay for almost half the price as the Sony Ericsson and Nokia models. It's unfortunate that there isn't a good used/refurbished one available for those two for proper comparison. The Pearl (8100) does look sexy, is nice and thin, which I like, and is in the same range as the m600i and e50 as well.

The problem with the Amazon.com issue is that they won't send electronics over to Canada, only books and such. I've tried and it doesn't work :v:.

Also, forgot to mention, but even though I'm looking at fairly expensive phones, I'm being a cheapass about it since I only want the barebones Pay-as-you-go service which I had with me before my cell phone went missing, especially since I've got about $80 credit sitting in my account. This means that plans are no good, especially the ones that are over $20 a month. $100/year prepaid cards are just too good of a deal for me to go for something restrictive and expensive, even if I'm going to end up burning through them in 8 months.

So it seems my list includes this guy
    Blackberry 7130
    BB7130CingA.jpg

And this guy as well:
    Blackberry 8100
    6d39_12.JPG

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger

edited October 2007
    How does the pay as you go service work with the data plans and such? I presume you wanted to get your email, as well...

and the BlackBerry 8100 is aka the Pearl, if you didn't know that's what i was talking about.

DigitalDistorted on
    edited October 2007
    I'm not really interested in email actually. Just calls and text messages until such point as I absolutely need additional features.

And yes, the 8100 is the Pearl, but there is another Pearl model so I wanted to mention that I am interested in the older cheaper one.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png

makes you stronger