As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The greatest anime films

1235»

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Masonite wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Prot3us wrote: »
    Armitage was garbage IMO through and through. I hated everything about it. Everything. Also, I really need to watch My Neighbor Totoro.
    Ok, I wish you would give some reasoning, other than just calling it garbage and hating it.

Also, there are 2 dubs for Armitage? I don't have it on DVD. (only on VHS) Did they screw it up for the DVD?

Also, try to find an old copy of Tororo. The new-fangled DVD has horrible voice acting. (Dakota Fanning and her sister.)

You shouldn't be watching the movie dubbed to begin with.

I fucking hate the purist dub snobs. Some anime films are dubbed very fucking well.

Good examples are:

Robotech (fuck you Macross purist snobs!)

Megazone 23 pt.2 Original dub (very rare)

Starblazers

Macross Plus

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cowboy Bebop

Sami on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Quadrecepta of Anime-
    Stuff by Watanabe
    Stuff by Miyazaki
    Jin Roh
    Akira

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cowboy Bebop is a good dub.

About %20 of Robotech can be considered a dub (or %70 if you're just counting the Macross saga), the rest is about as much of an adapation as Samurai Pizza Cats was.

I love Macross Plus dearly, but with the dub I hated everyone but Richard Epcar as Guld. Myung came off as a prissy bitch. Though, the main theme was one of the better english adaptations.

That said, I don't think the much superior film version comes in english, but I may be mistaken.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Armitage was garbage IMO through and through. I hated everything about it. Everything. Also, I really need to watch My Neighbor Totoro.
    Ok, I wish you would give some reasoning, other than just calling it garbage and hating it.

Also, there are 2 dubs for Armitage? I don't have it on DVD. (only on VHS) Did they screw it up for the DVD?

Also, try to find an old copy of Tororo. The new-fangled DVD has horrible voice acting. (Dakota Fanning and her sister.)

When you are a little kid and only have a VHS copy of a movie, that's how you watch it.

Some people like to watch the dubbing even now, if it is done well enough.

No need to turn this into an anime purist thread. =/

Hold up -- I'm confused. Is the Dakota Fanning dub very recent? I think that the dub I saw as a child was fairly satisfactory...
    Yeah, they released a special edition DVD just recently, which I bought...only to find out that the original dubbing had been removed in place for Dakota Fanning and her sister.

It was horrible. I gave it away to one of my little cousins.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think that this is pretty awesome.

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9fJQIrlAm8

Peas on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I liked the dub. I didn't love it, but I have no complaints.

Ghibli's films tend to have English casts that range from good to awesome.

Especially if those films are called The Cat Returns.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Peas wrote: »

I have it on DVD.

Daft Punk = Awesome.

Anime = Awesome.

Daft Punk + Anime = Sci-fi musical with virtually no dialogue.

So awesome.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This could be nostalgia talking, but I seem to remember Venus Wars being a decent film. Of course, it's been years since I've seen it, so take that with a big grain of salt.

For GitS, I think that both SAC seasons were better than the original movie. The movie's pacing just felt off to me. A bit too staccato for my tastes.

I have some bad memories attached to Akira. It's a good movie, but one of my friends -- who's bipolar and has attempted suicide before -- seemed to really like Tetsuo's story, hideous death and all. The whole persecution/revenge complex fit my friend to a tee back then. This was a kid who would watch The Crow multiple times a day when he was in a relapse. Thanfully, he's moved on, more or less (he's going to be an accountant pretty soon), but, yeah...definitely a movie that evokes strong emotions.

Appleseed was pretty disappointing to me. I felt it could've been much more intelligent, but it seemed as though most of the philisophical and political musings were pushed aside for more action. In particular, the
    Briarios 'death' scene was pretty lame. I understand what the director/writer tried to do -- the whole "I'm still a human under the robot exterior" bit -- but it just didn't work for me.
    Good action sequences, and CG animation, but hardly mind blowing in terms of plot.

Cowboy Beebop movie -- good.

Tokyo Godfathers -- excellent.

Quick question about anime in general: are there any other anime TV channels in the US than the Anime Network? Something with more adult-oriented shows/movies? Or, at the very least, better variety? I can only take so many repeats of Slayers: Excellent in a year.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Ok let's see:

Films by Ghibli? Check.
    Escaflowne? Check.
    Akira? Check.
    Grave of the Fireflies? Check.
    Steamboy? Check.

I think we've touched on them all.
    Fireflies is Ghibli

You sir, are correct. I will use the poor defense of "but they are so different it doesn't actually seem like they came from the same company."

There's my shitty defense.

Also, there is a soft spot in my heart for the original Fist of the North Star. It was the first anime I ever saw.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Peas wrote: »

I have it on DVD.

Daft Punk = Awesome.

Anime = Awesome.

Daft Punk + Anime = Sci-fi musical with virtually no dialogue.

So awesome.

If you don't cry during "Something About Us", then you have no soul.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Magnetic Rose from Memories. The other two shorts are forgettable, but this one is beautiful.
    If you don't mind kiddy, A Stormy Night (Arashi no Yoru ni) is a lot of fun, and really sweet in points. Also, fantastic soundtrack. Don't Wiki it, as usual they pretty much spoil the whole story there, as much as there is.

If we're talking series also... The Twelve Kingdoms. (Record of 12 Countries). One of the few anime series I'd call epic, but fuck, this one deserves it. Everyone owes it to themselves to see this one.
    Then there's Fighting Spirit (Hajime no Ippo), a boxing anime. No, I don't care about boxing, but this one sure made me want to.

Glal on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I fucking hate the purist dub snobs. Some anime films are dubbed very fucking well.

Good examples are:

Robotech (fuck you Macross purist snobs!)

Megazone 23 pt.2 Original dub (very rare)

Starblazers

Macross Plus

I don't know that I watch enough anime to be considered a purist. Anyway, I'm not sure what I was trying to do there. I think maybe I was trying to be sarcastic, but forgot that I was trying to, and just came off like a jackass. Sorry about that.

On another note, I caught a clip of (what I'm guessing to be) the end of the 6th episode in the IRIA OVA series recently, and now I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I know Blockbuster had a copy available through their online service when I tried it earlier in the year, but there was a 6-week wait (and it appears it's no longer available). Anyone know where else I might be able to find a copy?

Masonite on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The original Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy of films are pretty good.

The animation is dated, even with the new sequences, and it gets pretty hectic cramming in all the plot (even though most of the ludicrous stuff was cut out), but it still is one of the best giant robot stories around.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not to mention it cuts out most of the retarded designs of the week.

See: Zakrello.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So last week after some googling I found out that my earliest anime memory was a few years earlier than I had thought. I had previously thought it was the original dub of Totoro that I saw in the after school program or the tiny bit of Kiki's Delivery Service that I caught on Nickelodeon when I was in about 5th grade. My grandfather made me turn it off because it had a witch in it. :x

It turns out, that another Nickelodeon show that I used to watch all the time (at my grandparent's house) was an anime. The Noozles. I never saw the last few episodes, and it bugged me for years that I never found out what happened to Koala-Wala Land. Having not seen this in probably 15 years I would hesitate to say it is great, but it was certainly formative for me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2 (in places, it's just stunningly beautiful anyways), Metroporisu (Why hasn't anyone mentioned this?! It's fucking awesome!), Princess Mononoke, Memories (second and third are the best).

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Metroporisu (Why hasn't anyone mentioned this?! It's fucking awesome!),
    because it's spelled "Metropolis". You'll find that it's mentioned on page 1.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dunno if its already been mentioned (given it can be regarded as an anime for a younger audience) but i recently watch Howls Moving Castle, and it was pretty much made of WIN.

Also, i watched Akira when i was...8...7? I dunno, but it warped my mind forever. Also, I can't watch the "neo" version, as all the voice acting just messes with my head. I'm so used to the first US release that whether the new version is better or worse - i just can't do it.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Just bought the new translation of Akira yesterday and watched it last night. I hadn't seen it in ages, and I don't really dig most anime. This one, though. This is just beautiful.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I know it's translated as that, but there's already a movie called Metropolis (by Fritz Lang). I differentiate it by calling it by it's more Japanese name.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I know it's translated as that, but there's already a movie called Metropolis (by Fritz Lang). I differentiate it by calling it by it's more Japanese name.

I'm fairly certain that in this thread in particular, if you say, "Hey guys, Metropolis is super awesome!" We'll know you mean the anime. ;-)

Falx on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was quite funny in places. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    Falx wrote: »

I'm fairly certain that in this thread in particular, if you say, "Hey guys, Metropolis is super awesome!" We'll know you mean the anime. ;-)

Also, its Japanese name is Metropolis. Japanese language just blows ass. When your linguistics are built on syllables, but your alphabet doesn't even come close to covering the entire range of possible sounds... then there are issues.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It turns out, that another Nickelodeon show that I used to watch all the time (at my grandparent's house) was an anime. The Noozles. I never saw the last few episodes, and it bugged me for years that I never found out what happened to Koala-Wala Land. Having not seen this in probably 15 years I would hesitate to say it is great, but it was certainly formative for me.
    My first anime was probably Maya the Bee.

Glal on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Glal wrote: »

o_O O_o

That was an anime!? Holy crap...

Falx on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anything from Makoto Shinkai.

Hoshi No Koe
    The Place Promised in Our Early Days
    Byousoku 5cm

I have to say, the music from tenmon is exquisite.

lunasea on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Falx wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    o_O O_o
    That was an anime!? Holy crap...
    And Miyazaki was part of the studio that produced it.
    Also, as an aside, the studio that made The Last Unicorn was later hired by Miyazaki to animate Nausicaa, and its core formed Ghibli.

Glal on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The first two Patlabor movies have been mentioned, but only once, so I'm going to go ahead and mention them again. The first one in particular - much of the same tone as Ghost in the Shell (same director), but far more coherent and I find it more fun (not dissing GITS here, though - it's a great cerebral piece of film, but Patlabor makes me smile more).

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Patlabor 2 is fairly good too, though it lacks the straightforward story of the first one. The JSDF's march into Tokyo is epic!

Also Samurai 7, great retelling of the seven samurai. The Voice acting on both the Japanese and American Soundtrack is great.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ghost in the Shell was pretty good, but I can never relate to the excessive praise it receives. Anyone who can say with a straight face that it's deep needs to spend some time in a library.

Akira is still the most visually impressive anime I've ever seen, and even then most of that is in the first half. There's something about anime that lost me over the years- maybe it's that the best example in the genre is two decades old.

More love for Platlabor, Ninja Scroll, and hell yes, Interstella 5555. Still pretty fond of Galaxy Express 999, now that I think of it.

Still need to see: Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue, Metropolis. Holding out hope for the Trigun movie to be awesome.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just saw The Cat Returns for the second time and while it may be a short film (just over an hour), there's never a boring moment. The characters are all likeable, especially the Baron and Muta or Buta as he's mistakingly called, even the bad guy who isn't really evil creates a few laughing moments. Having a couple of returning characters from Whisper of the Heart, my favorite non-epic Ghibli Movie by far, is just icing on the cake.

Howl's Moving Castle on the other hand, a movie I watched last week, was less captivating mainly because I couldn't relate to the characters as much as the ones from above. The metamorphises of the heroine without any warning were confusing to say the least. Also, the ravaging war didn't really leave an impact either other than creating a plot device for Howl and subsequent heroine's actions. It isn't a bad film at all, it just isn't a masterpiece as Ghibli's other productions.

Hopefully, Tales from Earthsea or Ponyo on a Cliff will captivate me once more.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png