As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

• Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I remember when I first got to the room with Drake's corpse, where you fight the zombies initially, I was wondering to myself why they loaded the room with so many shotguns. It was obvious a firefight was going to be going down, but why shotguns? I found out a few minutes later, haha, that part was tense.
    Because shotguns kick ass against zombie newbs, quickshot 1 kills

haha, funny thing happened to my friend (we took turns every 2 deaths) ... the part towards the end of the game where the statue is being air lifted and the "end boss runs away with the girl". You have to go to the left down the rock slop, then make your way right up the rock stairs. Well he though he try and just run off and jump to the stairs... he didn't make it.. he landed in water and a zombie grabbed him around the neck and pulled him down. He was like "ah god damnit, my 2nd death, how lame, god damn zombies hiding in the water".

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I remember when I first got to the room with Drake's corpse, where you fight the zombies initially, I was wondering to myself why they loaded the room with so many shotguns. It was obvious a firefight was going to be going down, but why shotguns? I found out a few minutes later, haha, that part was tense.
    Because shotguns kick ass against zombie newbs, quickshot 1 kills

haha, funny thing happened to my friend (we took turns every 2 deaths) ... the part towards the end of the game where the statue is being air lifted and the "end boss runs away with the girl". You have to go to the left down the rock slop, then make your way right up the rock stairs. Well he though he try and just run off and jump to the stairs... he didn't make it.. he landed in water and a zombie grabbed him around the neck and pulled him down. He was like "ah god damnit, my 2nd death, how lame, god damn zombies hiding in the water".

I'm pretty sure everyone did that. I know I did

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seriously. Was there any need to put "I'm pretty sure everyone did that. I know I did" in spoiler tags?

That theme you posted is pretty cool. I like the Raiders of the Lost Ark icons.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I suppose there wasn't any need... I just got caught up in the spoilering the whole page, oh well.

In other news: I totally suck at finding treasures. I'm finding a few near the end of the game in really REALLY obvious spots that I should have found the first time. I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to get through the story.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    In other news: I totally suck at finding treasures. I'm finding a few near the end of the game in really REALLY obvious spots that I should have found the first time. I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to get through the story.

I would say that's the reason all the reviews clocked the game at only around 8 hours. Because they were in too much of a hurry to get through it. My firt play-through was about 12 and a half hours with 51 treasures. Second playthrough came in at 10 hours and 58 treasures. My third game will probably come in around the 8 hour mark or less, but only because I won't need to worry about searching anymore.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I would say that's the reason all the reviews clocked the game at only around 8 hours. Because they were in too much of a hurry to get through it. My firt play-through was about 12 and a half hours with 51 treasures. Second playthrough came in at 10 hours and 58 treasures. My third game will probably come in around the 8 hour mark or less, but only because I won't need to worry about searching anymore.

I blame the game for that! I wasn't really in a hurry to get 'through' the game. I was more in a hurry to see what happens next. My first playthrough was 9 hours, and now my 2nd is almost done at a bit over 7 hours (will probably be 8 when I'm actually finished). I'll probably try and find ALL the treasures in my next playthrough (on crushing).

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I blame the game for that! I wasn't really in a hurry to get 'through' the game. I was more in a hurry to see what happens next.
    That is also true. I managed to resist that urge on this first go in favour of treasure hunting.

Something else I noticed on Crushing is that enemies are much more likely to rush your position, not just the shotgun guys. Specifically if you fall back to avoid a grenade or try to catch a breath to recooperate. I've died several times, doing both of those things, at the hands of a pirate carrying only a 9mm. If you give ground, they're going to take adavntage of it.

In the easier difficulties I'd keep advancing after each kill, pushing the dwindling number of pirates back, so that I'd have a forward position when the next wave came in, usually through a bottleneck (This a good way to get the Dyna-might medal). It's not as easy to pull this off on Crushing.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah they love to rush you in crushing. I think it kinda makes things easier because you can take him down quick with only a few bullets if you blind fire around the corner. (Though it does make reloading your slower weapons dangerous.)
    I never found it very hard to fight the Spainards and pirates at the same time. I usually just hang back and let them kill each other a bit. Occasionally head shotting someone that got too close. We'll see how it goes on crushing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    greeble wrote: »
    I never found it very hard to fight the Spainards and pirates at the same time. I usually just hang back and let them kill each other a bit. Occasionally head shotting someone that got too close. We'll see how it goes on crushing.
    Well that is what I eventually did when I finally beat it, so it is a sound strategy, but my problem was the half a dozen times before that when I tried rushing the spaniards whilst fighting off the pirates/mercs. The juxtaposition of strategy for the human opponents and straight run 'n' gun for the zombies did not mix well at all.

DesmondPfeiffer on
  • Options
    RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is now officially one of my favorite games to date. Up there with HL2, BG&E, RE4.

i love d the controls, had a nice weight to them, once i upped the sensitivity.

My only complaint, and i havent seen it here yet is the smallish amount of enemy models. I always knew what i was fighting from a quick visual inspection.

-guy with red shirt and vest, rockets. -Fatty, Shotgun. etc etc. :P

The game was a good enough story that my wife managed to sit through the whole game (over a few nights) watching me play as she even wanted to find out what happened next.

RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    RooX wrote: »
    My only complaint, and i havent seen it here yet is the smallish amount of enemy models. I always knew what i was fighting from a quick visual inspection.

-guy with red shirt and vest, rockets. -Fatty, Shotgun. etc etc. :P

As much as that's my complaint too, I can see why they did it. It's done for gameplay purposes. When you're in a firefight and some asshole's rocketing your hiding spot you have to be able to single out which one of them is doing it quickly or else you'd die. So, from a gameplay point of view I liked the limited models. I knew who was carrying what, and it helped me pick out a strategy of who to target, where to move, etc. From a realism point of view, yeah, it did kind of suck though.

Just beat hard mode! Woo. That last sequence was a bit tough this time. Now, on to crushing.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    heh, i just beat crushing... good times. still, 30+ hours in a week is a lot of drake - time for a break, methinks.

don't worry, i'll come back - still got 7 treasures and the strange relic to find. plus i haven't yet gone through with my very own custom 'b-movie mode' - black and white, flipped world, spanish audio with english subtitles, brightness down low and the tv's contrast up high.if only the subtitles were dodgy it would be perfect

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just beat hard mode! Woo. That last sequence was a bit tough this time. Now, on to crushing.
    good luck with crushing. Last night it had me wanting to twist my sixaxis to pieces... and that was just the chapter from the demo.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, crushing is impossible. I'm on the demo chapter and just getting killed easily in one part. It's the part where you have to kick down the gate and fight a few waves of people. Well, I get through those fine, but then when I go through the door like three more come at me, and they're only triggered by going into that room, so I can't hide outside the room and get them. And since it's crushing I can't run back to the first part and get a good hiding spot. I have no idea how to beat that part.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, crushing is impossible. I'm on the demo chapter and just getting killed easily in one part. It's the part where you have to kick down the gate and fight a few waves of people. Well, I get through those fine, but then when I go through the door like three more come at me, and they're only triggered by going into that room, so I can't hide outside the room and get them. And since it's crushing I can't run back to the first part and get a good hiding spot. I have no idea how to beat that part.

you gotta use the one little square cover point before the doorway. it's a choke point, you can cut off anyone before they get to you, just make sure you've saved some shotgun shells and fall back there quickly and wait. use shotgun blindfire to take out the guys who charge you. also save some grenades. if you're in a tight spot for ammo, don't be afraid to restart the chapter so you can hang onto a full set of grenades, and make sure to kill off a shotgun dude with a brutal combo so you're full to the brim with the ammo you need

just wait till you get to some of the battles at the end - then you really need to get creative

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »

you gotta use the one little square cover point before the doorway. it's a choke point, you can cut off anyone before they get to you, just make sure you've saved some shotgun shells and fall back there quickly and wait. use shotgun blindfire to take out the guys who charge you. also save some grenades. if you're in a tight spot for ammo, don't be afraid to restart the chapter so you can hang onto a full set of grenades, and make sure to kill off a shotgun dude with a brutal combo so you're full to the brim with the ammo you need

just wait till you get to some of the battles at the end - then you really need to get creative

Holy crap no wonder I was dying. It was another wave of enemies, not just 3 like I thought. The key was to run in right to the point that spawns them and then run the fuck out to cover as quickly as possible. I had previously thought the spawn point was further in, so I was getting caught too far into the room. Oh well, got it now.

Did they change how many enemies come out on Crushing? Because I don't remember it being that many in that spot before.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yes you definitely have to approach some of these battles differently on crushing. The last chapter took me quite a few tries to beat. (The second wave of enemies specifically, they kept destroying my cover too quickly) What I ended up doing was walking slowly forward against the wall while aiming. As soon as they spawn I'm able to kill two before I have to dive for cover. Having those two less enemies made all the difference.

Just need to find 10 more treasures to get the 1000 points.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    as for uncharted. it was hyped a hell of a lot from what i see. like i said, its damn awesome up until the final act. goddam fucking trigens! still, makes you wonder why the same guy who did drakes voice ended up sounding much worse in creed. maybe uncharted just has better writing.

have you watched any of the behind the scenes videos for uncharted? everything is acted out and motion captured, with the voices recorded at the same time, on a set with a director. the script is very strong, it doesn't fuck around or waffle on and has a really good understanding of what made pulp adventures work. and it tells a fucking story, without belaboring it falsely or offering clumsy alternatives for the power-hungry. it was a step above for the industry if you ask me, and brave considering the length-focused, choice-demanding outlook of the current community, an outlook which is completely at odds with everything a good storyteller should provide

(sorry killzone)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    as for uncharted. it was hyped a hell of a lot from what i see. like i said, its damn awesome up until the final act. goddam fucking trigens! still, makes you wonder why the same guy who did drakes voice ended up sounding much worse in creed. maybe uncharted just has better writing.

have you watched any of the behind the scenes videos for uncharted? everything is acted out and motion captured, with the voices recorded at the same time, on a set with a director. the script is very strong, it doesn't fuck around or waffle on and has a really good understanding of what made pulp adventures work. and it tells a fucking story, without belaboring it falsely or offering clumsy alternatives for the power-hungry. it was a step above for the industry if you ask me, and brave considering the length-focused, choice-demanding outlook of the current community, an outlook which is completely at odds with everything a good storyteller should provide

(sorry killzone)

Also, guy in Uncharted is in Creed. Stupid unreliable IMDB, I hate you so much!

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't figure out the "Sanctary?" (Chapter 13) puzzle the beginning of the level. I have to rotate some statues but nothing seems to be working.

Urian on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    I can't figure out the "Sanctary?" (Chapter 13) puzzle the beginning of the level. I have to rotate some statues but nothing seems to be working.
    Check the journal. The pictures of the statues have names of the apostles next to them. The compass on the opposite page also has those names listed. Basically, you have to rotate the statues so they face in the direction shown in the journal.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hurry up Christmas I want this game :(

It is games like this that make me want to get in to the industry. Thank you college for buying a Vicon mocap system!

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I received Uncharted (and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow) yesterday morning and pretty much played it all day, finishing at 3 in the morning (which was a surprise, since I usually get bored long before then). I love it, easily the best game I've played on my PS3.

Normal seemed pretty easy from my perspective, most of the times I died were when I was screwing around trying to get a medal. Some of the medals seemed to be near impossible to get though, like the 20 kills from behind an enemy.

I've only really got one complaint and that would be the platforming. After playing Assassin's Creed, it just feels really limited and linear and coming from Naughty Dog, I find this pretty surprising. It's still a FAR better game overall than AC but I just hope that the inevitable sequel fixes this up.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm still chugging along on Crushing. In some ways it's almost easier because the enemy likes to flank. Which means if you find a good spot, you can just blind-fire a shotgun round to their face as they get near. It's not easier because if you're ever caught without cover or you're in a spot and unexpectedly flanked, you're dead. It's pretty fun to play like this, though.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In case fans missed it, there's a very good (and long) interview with the main actors on IGN's PS3 site. Definitely worth a read.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I received Uncharted (and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow) yesterday morning and pretty much played it all day, finishing at 3 in the morning (which was a surprise, since I usually get bored long before then). I love it, easily the best game I've played on my PS3.

Normal seemed pretty easy from my perspective, most of the times I died were when I was screwing around trying to get a medal. Some of the medals seemed to be near impossible to get though, like the 20 kills from behind an enemy.

I've only really got one complaint and that would be the platforming. After playing Assassin's Creed, it just feels really limited and linear and coming from Naughty Dog, I find this pretty surprising. It's still a FAR better game overall than AC but I just hope that the inevitable sequel fixes this up.

AC just spoiled you... I know what your saying, I felt the same way.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wish I had money so bad :(

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see how you can say Assassin's Creed had good platforming to be fair. I've still yet to play this (roll on xmas) but Creed didn't really have platforming, it had "hold down two buttons and free run". Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the game and I LOVED the system they employed for leaping about but it was more about getting the right path than platforming.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I can't see how you can say Assassin's Creed had good platforming to be fair. I've still yet to play this (roll on xmas) but Creed didn't really have platforming, it had "hold down two buttons and free run". Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the game and I LOVED the system they employed for leaping about but it was more about getting the right path than platforming.

I had started playing AC before I even touched Uncharted (demo or full version), and I feel like AC spoiled me in the aspect that I can just climb over this building or that one to go where ever I want (within the outer walls), Uncharted did feel a bit more linear when compared to AC. If I never touched AC and only played Uncharted I probably wouldn't feel this way, because Uncharted does feel pretty open at times, but not when coming straight off AC. It’s like playing FarCry then jumping straight into HL2, makes the game feel so much linear. Or maybe jumping from a hot-tub to a pool... for some reason that water just feels so much colder ;)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Timmer wrote: »
    In case fans missed it, there's a very good (and long) interview with the main actors on IGN's PS3 site. Definitely worth a read.

That was a great read, thanks for linking it. I think the production values of the game really shine through and that's really a lot to do with not only the writers and Naughty Dog, but with the actors as well.

geestack on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Played this the other day and was really really astounded by how good it was.

I don't own a next gen console yet and I've been on the fence about which one im going to get. Im learning more and more towards the ps3 and this game helped. Alot.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    That article about the actors was great. This game truly is amazing, one of the top 5 best games of the year and easily the best on the PS3.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Go here and vote for Uncharted. It's tied for 8th place with UTIII with 3% of the vote. It's now starting to slip behind by a couple hundred votes. Earlier today it was ahead by a couple hundred.

Ratchet and Clank is cool and all but I still think Uncharted should have taken best PS3 game at the Spike VGAs. Not that I hold the VGA's in very high esteem.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll be picking this up tomorrow with Wipeout Pulse, pretty excited :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well I just finished it and loved every moment of it. Amazing for the guy who couldn't beat the demo huh?

Even though I was able to beat the game during the 5 day rental period as soon as I see it on sale I'm going to pick it up to add to my library. It's like taking a great movie, like Indiana Jones, and adding game play that is fun and exciting. I can't wait for a sequel.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Guys if you haven't seen, there is a great interview at IGN with the actors that played Drake and Elena.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/840/840692p1.html
    They are both excited to work on Uncharted 2

greeble on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Timmer beat you to it on page 11. Sorry! Kickass interview though.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, Trapped on Crushing was hard, but not because of the first part. I could get through most of that pretty easily, but then the 2nd wave that comes out from where you were... One guy had a gun that would one hit kill me, and for some reason he kept hitting it with me the second I peaked out to shoot. Took a couple of tries, but I beat it. I'm now 65% through Crushing. I can't wait to get unlimited ammo and to unlock both the wes and grenade launcher. That'll be fun to go through, then.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've always taken out the second wave in Trapped with the turret gun in Hard or lower. Don't think it'd work too well on Crushing though.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I thought about it, but that required me to run up the stairs without anything blocking me, and as I said, that guy had a gun that would one hit kill me, so I doubt I would have made it. After getting to that point a couple times, though, I made it a point to figure out which one of them had that gun, and so I made it a point to try and kill him as quickly as possible.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg