As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avatar: The Last Airbender—best show in the universe

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »
    A thought for the films.

I hope they take a cue from Watchmen and put any extraneous stuff they just couldn't fit into the DVDs as extras.

Okay, I'm pretty much just hoping this for season 2.

...okay, just for Tales of Ba Sing Se. But there would be almost no reason to include that in a feature film...and yet it would be a crime not to flim it.

Do we know what his daughter's favorite episodes are? This could be key.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can't believe I haven't posted in this. I love Avatar. Can't believe no one told me about it back when it was still airing. So I had to catch up on the whole series over July and August. But it was worth it.

Mortal Sky on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Can't believe I haven't posted in this. I love Avatar. Can't believe no one told me about it back when it was still airing. So I had to catch up on the whole series over July and August. But it was worth it.

I don't think I could have stood watching it as it aired. I plowed through the whole show in about three weeks as it was.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that sounds familiar.

Shadowen on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After years of avoiding this show because "it's a Nickelodeon show, of course their attempt at an action show will suck," I got the first DVD, watched it, then plowed through the series in about three weeks.

So many people discover the show after the fact it's ridiculous.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

the great divide

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

the great divide

M. Night comes in at the end and unites everyone with his writing. Then Aang thanks him and flies away.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pika knows michillllele cera?

InHuman on
    edited September 2009
    My sister and I watched the remainder of book 1 today.

May start book 2 tomorrow, though it's likely she's had enough for a while.

Shadowen on
    edited September 2009
    Speculated Movie changes summed up

Now, how can they get foaming mouth guy into the movie? He's too important to be left out!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "May not get jiggy with Iroh."
    If both characters are on screen it is inevitable.
    Only man more of a pimp than Iroh is WANG FIRE. Which has to be typed in all caps.

Also, real lemurs are actually cute so Momo's not really in danger.

The Muffin Man on
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I get the guy in the videos argument. Really I do. To him I guess it seems like changing the races is a minor thing. But changing the villains to look darker and the good characters to be white at the very least puts a damper on the movie for me. One of the things I really liked about the series was that we actually had main good characters who were brown. I will probably still really enjoy the movie and wont cringe at things like in Transformers 2. (See , "Uh We can't read) I will probably just have to get over things like in Aladdin when the villain is really ethnic and the good main character is as close to white as they could make him. This won't ruin the movie, but it will be one more time I will have to suck it up and not worry about race issues and just try to enjoy the movie ( See Lord of the Rings). This isn't really that hard but it just sucks to have to consciously tell yourself to try and enjoy the movie, because stuff like this really takes me out of the movie.

lsukalel on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah it's really unfair that not one Fire Nation character is ever good.
    It's a complete (pardon the pun) black and white. Fire Nation = EVIL. Everyone else = GOOD.
    Especially the Water Tribe. There is nothing negative about them, whereas the Fire Nation is basically Satan. It's just demonizing them even more by having them be darker skinned just like the Director.

The Muffin Man on
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a complete (pardon the pun) black and white. Fire Nation = EVIL. Everyone else = GOOD.
    Especially the Water Tribe. There is nothing negative about them, whereas the Fire Nation is basically Satan. It's just demonizing them even more by having them be darker skinned just like the Director.

I prefer not to get into the head of the director, especially that director's head. I am afraid I would understand where he is coming from and there would be a huge twist!. lol Instead I am just honestly stating it will take me out of the movie going experience.

lsukalel on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    roku.jpg
    iroh4.jpg
    front.672.jpg
    front.675.jpg
    250px-Ursa..Zuko.png

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Especially the Water Tribe. There is nothing negative about them, whereas the Fire Nation is basically Satan.
    Um. Are you talking about the movie, which is not out yet, or the show?

If you're talking about the show, how much of it have you seen? The two main Fire Nation characters—Iroh and Zuko, are "good" and "morally ambiguous," respectively. In the first season, there's an entire episode where the heroes have to save a thankful Fire Nation colony from destruction by Earth Kingdom vigilantes. Azula's friends are also of ambiguous morality.

The Water tribe isn't spotless either. The northern tribe was quite sexist and sort of classist as well.

The show could have used a little more moral ambiguity, but it has a far more complex relationship to "good" and "evil" than any kids show I can think of, and most adult fantasy I can think of, including Lord of the Rings.

Qingu on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Especially the Water Tribe. There is nothing negative about them, whereas the Fire Nation is basically Satan.

If you're talking about the show, how much of it have you seen? The two main Fire Nation characters—Iroh and Zuko, are "good" and "morally ambiguous," respectively. In the first season, there's an entire episode where the heroes have to save a thankful Fire Nation colony from destruction by Earth Kingdom vigilantes. Azula's friends are also of ambiguous morality.

The Water tribe isn't spotless either. The northern tribe was quite sexist and sort of classist as well.

The show could have used a little more moral ambiguity, but it has a far more complex relationship to "good" and "evil" than any kids show I can think of, and most adult fantasy I can think of, including Lord of the Rings.
    Considering the target audience I'm honestly and pleasantly surprised that we got the moral ambiguity and intrigue that we got.

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2009

I was being incredibly sarcastic.

In fact, you pretty much pointed out WHY I was being sarcastic, which is kind of funny in a way.

Oh wow a lot of you did that that is honestly really weird.

: ( I am a better writer than I thought I guess and made everyone think I was serious?

The Muffin Man on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lsukalel wrote: »
    I get the guy in the videos argument. Really I do. To him I guess it seems like changing the races is a minor thing. But changing the villains to look darker and the good characters to be white at the very least puts a damper on the movie for me. One of the things I really liked about the series was that we actually had main good characters who were brown. I will probably still really enjoy the movie and wont cringe at things like in Transformers 2. (See , "Uh We can't read) I will probably just have to get over things like in Aladdin when the villain is really ethnic and the good main character is as close to white as they could make him. This won't ruin the movie, but it will be one more time I will have to suck it up and not worry about race issues and just try to enjoy the movie ( See Lord of the Rings). This isn't really that hard but it just sucks to have to consciously tell yourself to try and enjoy the movie, because stuff like this really takes me out of the movie.

Have we seen any of the real villains casted yet?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

How much do you want to bet that all the good Fire Nation characters will have a lighter skin tone than the totally evil ones?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lsukalel wrote: »

Have we seen any of the real villains casted yet?
    Admiral Zhao
    mandvi.jpg

Fire Lord Ozai
    cliffcurtissunshinethum.jpg

Tertiee on
  • Chronos21Chronos21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this earlier, but my main complaint with the casting choices is the lack of east Asian actors because they're generally the most underrepresented in Western film, and the ones we do know are almost exclusively Chinese, HK, or Taiwanese stars who do a few western action flicks. It's rare that a Hollywood movie offers such a potential for talented asian americans, and it's disappointing to see this movie elect to not use any of them.

Chronos21 on
    edited September 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

How much do you want to bet that all the good Fire Nation characters will have a lighter skin tone than the totally evil ones?
    Well considering we've already seen Zuko and Iroh I think you'd better be careful what you bet.

I'm just saying don't bet your life savings because I would be a very rich man.

Also: Really? You're gonna reach that far? Seriously? It's racist to say "Maybe I'll get a tan" as a joke about appeasing fans, but it's perfectly okay to say that they'll be lighter skinned because they're good?

I'm not even offended. I'm just wondering if you see the disconnect of logic here.

The Muffin Man on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I decided to finally watch this since it was available on Netflix. And within five goddamn days I watched it all. Worst yet, Netflix only had Book 1, so I had to scour the internet like some fucking crackhead for my fix.

Sixty dollars well spent.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

In fact, you pretty much pointed out WHY I was being sarcastic, which is kind of funny in a way.

: ( I am a better writer than I thought I guess and made everyone think I was serious?

Considering you didn't even bother to use things like "proper grammar" I'm going to go ahead and say no, you're not a better writer than you thought.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    iceburn.gif

Burden of Proof on
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I decided to finally watch this since it was available on Netflix. And within five goddamn days I watched it all. Worst yet, Netflix only had Book 1, so I had to scour the internet like some fucking crackhead for my fix.

^This was me last month.

How were the commentaries on the DVDs anyway? That's what I miss most with itunes videos.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

^This was me last month.

How were the commentaries on the DVDs anyway? That's what I miss most with itunes videos.

Depends, like many do, on the commentaries. They tell neat stories in some episodes, though--Sokka's Master has commentary from Sifu Kisu, giving deeper insight into the art, and he and the creators discuss how they got Serena Williams to voice a character.

Shadowen on
    edited September 2009

Considering you didn't even bother to use things like "proper grammar" I'm going to go ahead and say no, you're not a better writer than you thought.
    That's an awfully pointless jab, but alright?

The Muffin Man on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grammar is a myth!

Centipede Damascus on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    This movie's issues: M. Night Shyamalan.

Talk about rough odds.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yup it's definitely good that no Water Tribe member never went crazy and invented blood bending or anything.

Cade on
    edited September 2009
    Cade wrote: »

Yup it's definitely good that no Water Tribe member never went crazy and invented blood bending or anything.

And all Earth Kingdom folk are solid, no-nonsense tough guy/girl types, good guys fighting against the Fire Nation. No wimpy figurehead kings, no manipulative traitorous spymaster bastards...

Man, it's a good thing almost all the Airbenders are dead, or this joke would never die.

Shadowen on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, well, you know Gyatso? Kind of a dick.

True story.

Quid on
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you know the monks that wanted Aang to go to the Eastern Temple to train? Kind of a dick.

True story.

Fixed. When you had ready-made actual examples, why would you go for the funny old guy who...liked...dropping cakes on his fellow monks' heads...while they were meditating.

And cheating at Pai Sho with a kid...

And encouraging Aang to be like him...

...never mind.

Shadowen on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I've watched season 1 and 2 of this and I have to say I think Zuko is one of my favorite antagonists of any series.

I mean the character's selfish motivations are in direct conflict with his own moral compass, which I really like. He knows the fire nation is bad, he doesn't like anything about what they are doing.

I'd love to see the creators of this show do a more adult series that allowed slightly more graphic violence and subject matter.

override367 on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hear that, with this last season, Avatar is over. Like, the story is complete.

Is this true? Y/N

Renzo on
    edited September 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you know the monks that wanted Aang to go to the Eastern Temple to train? Kind of a dick.

True story.

Fixed. When you had ready-made actual examples, why would you go for the funny old guy who...liked...dropping cakes on his fellow monks' heads...while they were meditating.

And cheating at Pai Sho with a kid...

And encouraging Aang to be like him...

...never mind.
    Cakes weren't the only thing he dropped.

Know why every single member of the air nomad culture is an air bender? Because when you're born, the monks take you and drop you off a cliff. Only the benders survived.

That's why the Fire Nation wanted to genocide the air nomads.

Qingu on
    edited September 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    I hear that, with this last season, Avatar is over. Like, the story is complete.

Is this true? Y/N
    There's only 3 seasons. It's been over for a year or so.

Qingu on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Is this true? Y/N
    There's only 3 seasons. It's been over for a year or so.
    The creators have said they want to do other stuff involving the universe, but that was quite some time ago.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.