Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Tutorials, Questions, and Discussion Thread

bombardierbombardier mr. mullyVancouver, BCSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
edited November 2006 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
It looks like the old thread has been sucked into a black hole and is gone forever, so this will have to be started from scratch.

Use this thread for:
  • asking questions pertaining to the forum or art instead of making a new thread for them
  • discussing said questions or issues in the forum
  • posting links to useful tutorials you come across on the Internet
  • post tutorials that you made yourself

Mods, please add links, tutorials, and links to useful posts to this post whenever you see them.

Downloads
Tutorials

Basic Lighting/Texture/Form Tutorial and Reference Guide
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Alduar's Abstract Art Tutorial/Process
http://alduar.iseenothing.com/tutorials/abstract/

Making a Comic by eliseu gouveia
Penny Arcade Accumulated Forum Knowledge/Making a Comic

References

Over a Dozen links to Misc Reference Photos
Penny Arcade Accumulated Forum Knowledge/Reference Links

bombardier on

• SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, dunno if it was me. I tried posting a sketch for a piece and it gave this message, something like 'Unable to create new word match'. Weird. :?:

SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, that same thing keeps happening to me, and the forums were down for a bit aswell...It pisses me off especially when I'm trying to edit a reply.

• TheBurritoManTheBurritoMan Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Hi there!

That virtual mannequin could be REALLY useful! But, is there a way to make your own pose instead of it to be random? :?

Not that I'm aware of. There's 17 or so different "poses" that you can adjust the timeline on.

lawl0mo.gif
  • SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User
    edited August 2005
    aaahhh....so you can't just move it so it'll be in a pose YOU want. :?

SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • eminkey2003eminkey2003 Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Could anyone post the link to the "Me and Louie's Sister's Coloring Tuturial" from the last thread, please? It was very helpful.

I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
  • TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Does anyone have any watercolor tips? Whenever I get a good color I run out of it quickly and I have a tough time making it again. I'm also having a hard time making more and less intense variations of the same color.

redtidesig1.jpg
  • Monkey BoxMonkey Box Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Does anyone have any suggestions for some good drawing books? Anything except anime/manga style.

Crashino hunks break yer bones
  • JonisJonis Registered User
    edited August 2005
    How can I prevent Photoshop from lagging and freezing? I got this really nice brush set, the EraserX set, but it's really slow sometimes, and while painting the other day, it froze 6 times.

edited August 2005
  • Cadaver BobCadaver Bob Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Stuff about watercolor

I'll try help you out. Watercolor's not my forte', but I have a little experience.

1. Running out of color. Two things you can do, either get really really good at mixing colors (hard, takes a while to learn) or just try and predict when you're going to need a lot of a color, and mix a helluva lot of it.

2. Intensity. I'd recommend getting a color wheel/downloading a color wheel, plus memorizing it would help. To deintensify you mix a color with a little bit of what's opposite of it on the color wheel (its complimentary color, technically). Say, blue, you would mix a little bit of orange into it. Purple, add yellow, red add green, and so on.
    Getting high intenisty colors, I'd say you just need to mix more raw pigments (paint) into the water-paint mixture. I'll admit, high-intensity isn't always watercolors speciallity. The very nature of the medium ensures that you're not always going to be able to get it as bright as you would like. For example, the blazing intensity and blown out colors digital painters get will be next to impossible (not ENTIRELY, but unless you're a master, then yes.)

Another (improper) way of deintensifying is to mix a little brown umber into it. It's sort of an all around deintensifier, but will have slightly different results than adding the colors proper compliment.

Hope that helps some. Feel free to ask if you need more info.

AlyceInWonderland... I have a 9x12 and I like it a lot. Most people I've heard of have the slightly smaller 5x6 (I think thats the right dimension) and they seem to do fine with em. The larger size is just a little more "convienient", meaning you can get larger pen-strokes into it. In the end, it all depends really on what you're gonna use it for, and moreso how much you're willing to blow on it. Got the money burning a hole in your pocket? Go bigger, I'd say. It's just an easier interface.

Feel free to argue, everyone.

edited August 2005
    What's a good size for a wacom tablet?
    4" x 5" is fine for me. You usually make comics too, so I don't think you would need a bigger size, since you should be working at high resolutions (or zoomed in) to color and ink your stuff anyway. 4 x 5 is also the least expensive, ranging from $80 (at newegg.com)-$100 (Most reatail stores, Best Buy, etc.)

I have my own question about tablets: What does the Graphire 3 tablet Driver CD do? I think I may need to install it again. Something is off about my tablet. Usually, small movements with the pen make large movements on the screen. Maybe I just haven't used it in a while. I'm worried because I think I've already thrown away that disc. Does anyone know where I could find a new driver disc for my Graphire 3?

I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
  • Monkey BoxMonkey Box Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    You could just go to their website and download the driver. The 2nd disc includes various illustrating programs I think, including painter.

Crashino hunks break yer bones
  • Megamau_XMegamau_X Registered User
    edited September 2005
    is there any way to make the colors blend in photoshop, like they do with some of the oils in painter?

banditsig.gif
    edited September 2005
    Well, not exactly blend color pigments, I think, but you can change the opacity of your brush and paint over the color you want to blend with another color.

• RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Megamau_X wrote:
    is there any way to make the colors blend in photoshop, like they do with some of the oils in painter?

you can use the color mixer mega. (if you're trying to take a color like a green and throw some red hues into it, etc)

when you bring it up slide the color bar on the right instead of using the arrow to move the circle around. you'll see the colors blend like magic :)

That's why I like the AC. Just the right combination of stupid butt-fuckery and verbal masturbation to suit my needs.
    edited September 2005
    Anyone know any good male anatomy sites? I can't seem to find any decent ones on google.

• TheBurritoManTheBurritoMan Registered User
    edited September 2005
    edited September 2005
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    This forum has inspired me to try my hand at drawing again. I haven't drawn anything in like four years. I wasn't any good then. I just bought a sketchpad, a kneaded eraser, a mechanical pencil, and a book of anatomy (Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy). My question is, should I start with the book, then move to life drawing, or life drawing, then anatomy lessons? Or both at the same time?

Also, can anyone recommend a book that teaches shading techniques? Shading is probably my worst area.

• TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I would take a guess that shading isn't your problem as much as drawing and seeing things as three dimensional objects. There is a book called Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain or something like that which everyone will probably refer you to. I've never read it, but I'm sure it's good!

redtidesig1.jpg
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    When watercolor paper comes in those big blocks of paper, are they meant to be painted onto directly, or do they need to be sized first?

• PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User
    edited September 2005
    supabeast wrote:
    When watercolor paper comes in those big blocks of paper, are they meant to be painted onto directly, or do they need to be sized first?

Just paint straight onto the block, then use an Xacto blade to separate the used page from the rest.

It's tricky, and you'll probably kill a page or two before you get the hang of it, but it prevents the pages from wrinkling during use.

• Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited September 2005
    It seems like a very simplistic question, but when people say 'draw what you see instead of what you think you see' when drawing from life, does the same apply to when you are drawing without reference/from your head? I'v been trying out techniqes and such, like building up a drawing from base shapes and other such examples but I think I'm just missing the point sometimes by not drawing what I see from my head straight onto the paper.

What I try to do right now is to only draw lines that I can definatley visualise in my head (gesturing?), even if they don't connect to anything, but they have to be definate, final lines. If I start guessing where things go and not knowing what certian lines 'do what' on a page the picture just gets confusing. When I'v got a good 'base' down, usually a lot of confident outlines (think something like Sonic's work, but less detailed http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Sonicc/Daily%20Scribbles/02-07-05.jpg) I'll then go in and start filling the drawing out with form, connecting everything up, etc.

Sorry if I can't explain it well but I just want some opinions or suggestions or something on this way of working. That inital effort of 'gesturing' the drawing requires an immense amount of concenration from me but from theron in it gets a lot easier. The problem is I can rarley get a solid gesture base down seeing as most of the time I need a 100% concentration on what I want to draw and most of the time I'm not really sure.

Can anyone give me some tips or suggestions on what I could use as something that could get me started a lot easier on a drawing? In most cases, drawing from a live reference would solve most of my problems about trying to visualise a strong outline and working in/outwards from it but when I'm trying to draw more abstract things it can get very tough to start.

tf2_sig.png
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Hey guys,
    I have been trying to find this on google w/ no luck. Does anyone know how to make an outline in Illustrator CS? Not a stroke, an outline.

FF

• Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Fire_Fox wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I have been trying to find this on google w/ no luck. Does anyone know how to make an outline in Illustrator CS? Not a stroke, an outline.

FF

what exactly are you trying to make an outline of?

tf2_sig.png
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Ha

Just figured it out.... Offset path.

Man I wasted a lot of time on that. Thanks anyways man.

FF

• NecronomiconNecronomicon Undead pencilmonkey Essex.UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Can I have a link to Chewies colouring tutorial please? :)

Thank you please.
  • senor_xsenor_x Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Can I have a link to Chewies colouring tutorial please? :)

A Google search for "chewie coloring tutorial" provides the cached tutorial thread. If I were less lazy I'd copy all the other old links in here.

http://evilbeaver.homestead.com/HowTo.html

Senor10.gif Wii 1490 9129 8407 5923
  • NecronomiconNecronomicon Undead pencilmonkey Essex.UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Thank yee. :D

Thank you please.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    does anyone happen to have the Jhonen Vasquez sketch of the warlock or a link to it?

• MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    DM wrote:
    does anyone happen to have the Jhonen Vasquez sketch of the warlock or a link to it?

jhonen.jpg

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Anyone know any free font resources? I'm trying to find a Latin-esque font kinda like the stuff they would carve on architecture in the old days

or anything else that has a ...umm... latiny look to it

steam_sig.png
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Quiz me this...

Im a poor student and i need an aternative income to feed my photography habit.

my question is this: Could it pay for itself? I have found a place local to me that sells local themed pictures of which i have plenty, i may yet persue this but could I try selling my prints on ebay? do you think there would be any demand for them? and how should i go about selling them if this is a plausable means of income?

Thanks guys :D

e.g

flowing.jpg

bowl.jpg

xposay.jpg

bluetone.jpg

treesrgd.jpg

(p.s If you have seen any of my stuff that would make a nice print (or you'd like one yourself) please tell me)

edited September 2005
    Say a picture is way too dark, but it's a nice picture. How would you lighten it up on photoshop with out ruining it?

• MillionsMillions Registered User
    edited September 2005
    JAmp5 wrote:
    Quiz me this...

Im a poor student and i need an aternative income to feed my photography habit.

my question is this: Could it pay for itself? I have found a place local to me that sells local themed pictures of which i have plenty, i may yet persue this but could I try selling my prints on ebay? do you think there would be any demand for them? and how should i go about selling them if this is a plausable means of income?

Thanks guys :D

e.g

ig]ig]ig]ig][img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/JAmp5/treesrgd.jpg[/ig] (p.s If you have seen any of my stuff that would make a nice print (or you'd like one yourself) please tell me)

That last green one is pretty nifty.

Don't know too much about the whole photo thing. If you're desperate for money you may see about selling some of it to some stock photography companies. Not sure how much they pay or what they expect but they charge out the ass for high res. photos. I bet they pay decently enough.

• RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Say a picture is way too dark, but it's a nice picture. How would you lighten it up on photoshop with out ruining it?

Image->Adjust->

Levels, Curves, Contrast, Variations

take your pick

That's why I like the AC. Just the right combination of stupid butt-fuckery and verbal masturbation to suit my needs.
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    JAmp5 wrote:
    Im a poor student and...my question is this: Could it pay for itself?

Sure. Here are a few tips.

1. Only try to make money if you have access to a high-quality photoprinter and can produce high-quality prints. That means at least 300 DPI, on premium glossy paper, with waterproof pigmented inks. You can get that for a couple-hundred bucks, peruse the latest digital photo magazines for reviews and recommendations. Once you get started and have some money in reserve, find a printer with high-end iris printers who can do insanely high-quality prints, because those go for a hell of a lot more than inkjet prints.

2. Find a good place to sell them. You aren't going to make a meaningful amount of money selling prints on the internet, so you'll have to find an art gallery, or at least a good local restaurant/coffee shop to sell them in. Print up some really nice examples, put them in a nice print portfolio, set up a nice introductory letter and business card that points to your online gallery, and hit the pavement. If you don't live near any galleries, look them up online or in magazines and mail them a nice letter with a card and your web site. If you go on vacations, do it in places with lots of big galleries, like New York, LA, San Francisco, and Scottsdale. While you're there hit up every gallery in town. Try to get representation on each coast. Donating prints to charity auctions is also a great way to get your work out there, get free booze and food, and schmooze with wealthy art collectors and gallery owners.

3. Only sell prints in limited editions. Keep editions small - less than 250-300 for small, cheap prints, 50 for bigger, expensive ones. Sign every single print, and include it's number in the series. Keep track of every single print you sell, and never, EVER reprint after you max out a series (Unless you get famous and do posters or something like that). This is what makes art collectors buy your work, as opposed to those guys with mall kisoks who sell endless runs of their crappy prints for $25.

4. Like everything else in the art world, getting your stuff out there and making money takes a whole lot of persistence. People will blow you off 99% of the time, but eventually you might find someone who gives a shit and wants to sell your work. But hey, there are a lot more art galleries than there are comic-book publishers, so be glad your thing isn't drawing.

• the muffinthe muffin Registered User
    edited September 2005
    Dear peoples of Penny arcade I need help drawing ears for school yea I suck bawls at ears and for doing a portrait of a famous person who do you think would be a good choice (im thinking clint eastwood) my medium is pencil.

Thanx

This discussion has been closed.