As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeschool and College.

JastJast Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
There's been a few general homeschool threads, but they're months old. I know some people on this forum have been homeschooled and went to college. I was wondering how their experiences were. How did you adjust and stuff like that, was it hard getting into college, etc. I know Appalachian State requires a high school transcript and SAT scores for homeschoolers and that's all while Virginia Tech requires some SAT subject tests.

If any you guys met homeschoolers while in college, post your experiences you had with them. And also, do you think there should be special admission requirements for homeschoolers. This is kind of a broad topic, but I wanted to focus more on homeschoolers and college then just homeschooling in general.

Jast39.png
Jast on

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've known a couple kids who were home schooled, only one up at college though. Generally they can be pretty socially awkward, the one I know up here has a couple behaviors that I associate with people spending to much time by themselves. He is not having any problems with his classes that I am aware of.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went straight from home-schooling to college, but that was quite a while ago ('96). At that time they asked me to take an ACT and let me enroll based on my ACT score, but my impression is that the SAT has become more popular now - I have no idea what their official requirements would be today.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it all depends on your friends. If you have an active, healthy social life (which is pretty hard if you can't drive and are high school age and younger) then I suppose you could turn out okay.

But in most cases I think the process of making new friends, encountering a wide spectrum of people and beliefs, and the painful process of being at a new situation with new people is a necessary part of growth.

College was not as hard for me as I though it would be, because in freshman year of high school I went through a similar thing. I knew no one, and had to make tons of friends. It's painful, but worth it.

Back on topic, I know one kid who was home schooled and is socially awkward and ended up commuting to college (not that there's anything wrong with that; it's just that he was intending to live on campus originally). I also know a homeschooler who is perfectly fine and has a great, outgoing personality.

I think it depends on your personality going in, and how much you challenge yourself by having an active, engaging social life. It's very easy to just get stuck in a rut of having your close circle of friends and hanging out with no one else if you're home schooled.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It can be tough, but for most it's really really do-able. It doesn't matter how socially awkward you are - college is bound to contain somebody more inept than you, so establishing a social group hinges on your willingness to try to make friends.

Regarding special academic requirements, I don't think that'd be such a hot idea.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I think it all depends on your friends. If you have an active, healthy social life (which is pretty hard if you can't drive and are high school age and younger) then I suppose you could turn out okay.

But in most cases I think the process of making new friends, encountering a wide spectrum of people and beliefs, and the painful process of being at a new situation with new people is a necessary part of growth.

College was not as hard for me as I though it would be, because in freshman year of high school I went through a similar thing. I knew no one, and had to make tons of friends. It's painful, but worth it.

Back on topic, I know one kid who was home schooled and is socially awkward and ended up commuting to college (not that there's anything wrong with that; it's just that he was intending to live on campus originally). I also know a homeschooler who is perfectly fine and has a great, outgoing personality.

I think it depends on your personality going in, and how much you challenge yourself by having an active, engaging social life. It's very easy to just get stuck in a rut of having your close circle of friends and hanging out with no one else if you're home schooled.

Of course, you could alternatively just focus on your schoolwork and not bother making friends and still turn out alright. I'm not seeing how lack of a social life is being equated to not turning out okay.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aegis wrote: »

Of course, you could alternatively just focus on your schoolwork and not bother making friends and still turn out alright. I'm not seeing how lack of a social life is being equated to not turning out okay.

Have you given your weighted compainion cube a name?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Biology can love me.
    :|

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

I did not understand that question at all.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Alright, a couple points here.

1) I was emphasizing a social life and friends and stuff because I consider it quite improbable that one would be able to develop social skills without the give and take of normal everyday interactions and the meeting of new people and the challenges that are associated with that.

2) I also took it as a given that having people skills and getting along well with people was a positive thing. If you disagree with this point I don't think there's much more to be said.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I did not understand that question at all.

It was a Portal reference.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Alright, a couple points here.

1) I was emphasizing a social life and friends and stuff because I consider it quite improbable that one would be able to develop social skills without the give and take of normal everyday interactions and the meeting of new people and the challenges that are associated with that.

Well its possible theoretically, though I agree with the general statement that those growing up sheltered from rest of society will probably not be as socially adept as one who grew up differently.
    MikeMan wrote:
    2) I also took it as a given that having people skills and getting along well with people was a positive thing. If you disagree with this point I don't think there's much more to be said.

I disagree with the premise that there's an innate positive/negative quality to a the general ability of 'social aptitude' in a vacuum and view it more that, if the person is satisfied with their life and doing well in college (since college is there to prepare you for the workforce later on in life) then if they have no friends, I don't believe it would be a negative thing in their mind as they're not focused on it. If their eventual line of work requires extensive interaction with people? Well then yes, lack of social skills would be a negative but then the person who chose that path in their studies should already be aware of that and working on increasing their social skills. I just differ in the opinion that there's a black and white designation for social skills = good, lack of social skills = bad.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote:
    I disagree with the premise that there's an innate positive/negative quality to a the general ability of 'social aptitude' in a vacuum and view it more that, if the person is satisfied with their life and doing well in college (since college is there to prepare you for the workforce later on in life) then if they have no friends, I don't believe it would be a negative thing in their mind as they're not focused on it. If their eventual line of work requires extensive interaction with people? Well then yes, lack of social skills would be a negative but then the person who chose that path in their studies should already be aware of that and working on increasing their social skills. I just differ in the opinion that there's a black and white designation for social skills = good, lack of social skills = bad.
    I'm curious as to what sort of life you anticipate on leading that doesn't require social skills...? I mean, yeah, if you want to be the crazy homeless hermit under the bridge, I guess social skills aren't really required, but if you anticipate living in, y'know, the "real world," I think it's a given that social skills are a necessity for, y'know, living.

Though, I guess Ted Kaczynski did fine without them...

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote:
    I'm curious as to what sort of life you anticipate on leading that doesn't require social skills...? I mean, yeah, if you want to be the crazy homeless hermit under the bridge, I guess social skills aren't really required, but if you anticipate living in, y'know, the "real world," I think it's a given that social skills are a necessity for, y'know, living.

Interaction on a minimal level are required but then those are developed (unless there are some underlying psychological factors such as sociopathy or autism) through grade school/high school, and some people can choose to survive with as minimal an interaction as possible (although the example I would use is a personal allegory which really isn't externally verifiable so I won't bring it up) with the outside world. I just contest the opinion on social development in college as an integral part of one's development as intrinsically required to succeed later in life; or that applying the label that someone's choice in life that might leave them, socially, a recluse is somehow a lesser path of living is a valid way to go about things and not simply a judgmental world view or indicative of personal superiority/arrogance.

I mean, John Nash seemed to still lead a successful life.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote:

Interaction on a minimal level are required but then those are developed (unless there are some underlying psychological factors such as sociopathy or autism) through grade school/high school, and some people can choose to survive with as minimal an interaction as possible (although the example I would use is a personal allegory which really isn't externally verifiable so I won't bring it up) with the outside world. I just contest the opinion on social development in college as an integral part of one's development as intrinsically required to succeed later in life; or that applying the label that someone's choice in life that might leave them, socially, a recluse is somehow a lesser path of living is a valid way to go about things and not simply a judgmental world view or indicative of personal superiority/arrogance.

You... you are aware that John Nash is a college professor, right? He gives classes and things? He has a lot of social interaction.

And yeah, I think there's definitely something to be said for social reclusiveness being inherently inferior; it's not healthy, physically or psychologically.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I think most home schoolers actually do get social interaction. Their parents sign them up for activities outside the home or organize joint activities with other home schoolers you see.

Homeschooling Has Social Advantage

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote:

You... you are aware that John Nash is a college professor, right? He gives classes and things? He has a lot of social interaction.

And yeah, I think there's definitely something to be said for social reclusiveness being inherently inferior; it's not healthy, physically or psychologically.

Bad example with John Nash then, I was trying to draw a comparison with your example of Ted, since they both attended college and were published/excelled academically while being comparatively anti-social or detached from others.

As for the second assertion, that's a personal opinion on your part which is what I'm trying to address, that viewing antisocial behaviour as unhealthy is a subjective view full of inherent bias from one's societal upbringing. If you (people in general dependent on their culture) yourself are not antisocial, you're going to view those that are less social or reclusive as somehow 'unhealthy' and not simply as a different lifestyle choice.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote:

Bad example with John Nash then, I was trying to draw a comparison with your example of Ted, since they both attended college and were published/excelled academically while being comparatively anti-social or detached from others.

As for the second assertion, that's a personal opinion on your part which is what I'm trying to address, that viewing antisocial behaviour as unhealthy is a subjective view full of inherent bias from one's societal upbringing. If you (people in general dependent on their culture) yourself are not antisocial, you're going to view those that are less social or reclusive as somehow 'unhealthy' and not simply as a different lifestyle choice.
    Okay, I'll bite: list some of the physical and psychological benefits of being anti-social. I mean, I can claim that being fat is a different lifestyle, too, but I certainly wouldn't go around claiming that it's good for me.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is going to sound harsh, but you sound like a terribly lonely person who's trying to justify their loneliness by saying "It's perfectly normal to have no friends!"

No, it's not. Get some damn friends.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aegis is just approaching the question of success differently. Sure, John Nash was successful in the field of academia; he did invent game theory out of his isolation. Success, financial and academic success, does not hinge on social ability. But success, as defined by the mantras of personal happiness and content, does hinge on social interaction. After all, John Nash was schizophrenic and went to parties in diapers. Just remember, it's awfully hard to be happy for long when you're fucking your own hand.

lunasea on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well I was homeschooled and I currently attend Virginia Tech so they were clearly alright with homeschool students.

I think that the reason I got in was a good SAT score as well as the community college courses I took.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I'll bite: list some of the physical and psychological benefits of being anti-social. I mean, I can claim that being fat is a different lifestyle, too, but I certainly wouldn't go around claiming that it's good for me.

Make with the logic people. Saying something doesn't do anything bad is not the same as saying it does something good. Fat has quantifiable negative effects on one's bodily health. We define this as bad, because it can lead to unpleasant experiences. If you do not define those as "bad", then there is nothing wrong with being fat. Likewise, your argument would better served by listing reasons why being anti-social might be considered "bad".

Anyway, my take on the issue is it's not a problem. It will help if you engage, and it will be a pretty intense experience, but I've found that high school is a much more critical point than college for social skills. In college everyone's more adult and just doing their own thing. (Case in point, you get people that love the sound of their own voice and are always trying to impress the professor, people whom I seriously wonder how they ever made it through grade school without getting beat up, and other students just let them live in their little vacuum.) Also, you could become fatigued pretty quickly with the workload in the first semester or two and have a hard time engaging and making friends, which, well that's normal and I'm not going to get preachy about making friends in that situation.

I think my point is, you will have to put in some effort to get the same social growth experience out of college as you might get in grade school if your home school career was fairly insular, because if you put yourself in a vacuum, people will let you stay there. Whereas high school is much more like being crammed into a tiny pot with a bunch of other morons, and it forces you to get used to things like having opinions and dealing people. Courses won't be a problem though, if you've done a half-decent job of your homeschooling.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was homeschooled and am now in college, and my only real social issue (besides being completely inept with women) is that I find around 95% of the people around me annoying. And those are the people who don't share my interests. Those who do share my interests tend to be extremely annoying. No, I don't want to hear your play-by-play of the video game I lent you.

Academically, I seem to be doing all right. But then again, I'm still taking intro courses at a state school in the middle of Bumfuck, Kansas. So who knows?

Cheezy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went straight from home-schooling to college, but that was quite a while ago ('96). At that time they asked me to take an ACT and let me enroll based on my ACT score, but my impression is that the SAT has become more popular now - I have no idea what their official requirements would be today.

The ACT is for the midwest and the SAT is more for the coasts in general. There is a way to get some parity between the scores, but it isn't all that great. IIRC you tend to get pushed into taking the test that the school wants, but who knows anymore.

It wasn't in college, but a good friend of mine in High School was home schooled K-8. I figure that it was a large factor in his being really good at playing a rather large variety of musical instruments meanwhile I wasn't all that great after hot cross buns. He was as sociable as most everyone else and did fine in most all his classes ...I really should give him a call, it's a shame that we fell out of touch in college. Thanks, forum thread.

moniker on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's usually taken for granted that most people want to have good relationships in their lives. Not as a means to and end, but as an end. What good is being a "success" if all you are going to do is sit alone and think about what a great success you are?

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think you you are home schooled you should also be home-colleged.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I think the assumption that home schoolers lack social skills is somewhat glibly made.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have been homeschooled from 6th grade on, and haven't had a social life for as long. I'm in my second year of college. I don't typically seek out social interaction, but do fine when it comes up. I've been told I'm "charming."

I guess it's like the effect of violent video games on people; the effect it has on people depends on the environment they grew up in. I didn't socialize in person, but I've been on BBSes and message boards with social people for as long as I can recall. I guess I found it easy to transfer the skills from the intertrons to in-person interaction. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I think the assumption that home schoolers lack social skills is somewhat glibly made.

And everybody knows that public schools would certainly never produce a kid who was socially awkward or a towering asshole.

I suspect confirmation bias plays a non-trivial part in people's perceptions on this.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    edited November 2007

And everybody knows that public schools would certainly never produce a kid who was socially awkward or a towering asshole.

I suspect confirmation bias plays a non-trivial part in people's perceptions on this.

Home schoolers are schooled at home: yes or no?

Home schoolers do not attend a high school environment wherein they are exposed to hundreds of people on a day to day basis, forcing social interactions: yes or no?

Home schoolers thus do not have the built-in opportunities for interaction that people who attend high school have: yes or no?

Given these things, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that since having the child experience lots of social interaction is harder, more children who are home schooled have the probability of lacking social experience.

Not to mention the fact that if you don't go to a high school you are automatically an "outsider" in those kids who DID go to high school's eyes, purely because you don't see them on a day to day basis. This makes it even harder to socialize with those groups.

I fail to see where the gap in the logic lies. It's a pure matter of probability: the home school environment is one in which social interaction with large groups of kids does not come as naturally. More effort must be made on the part of both the kid and the parents, and it is thus easier for that effort not to be made satisfactorily.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Home schoolers are schooled at home: yes or no?

Home schoolers do not attend a high school environment wherein they are exposed to hundreds of people on a day to day basis, forcing social interactions: yes or no?

Home schoolers thus do not have the built-in opportunities for interaction that people who attend high school have: yes or no?

Given these things, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that since having the child experience lots of social interaction is harder, more children who are home schooled have the probability of lacking social experience.

Not to mention the fact that if you don't go to a high school you are automatically an "outsider" in those kids who DID go to high school's eyes, purely because you don't see them on a day to day basis. This makes it even harder to socialize with those groups.

I fail to see where the gap in the logic lies. It's a pure matter of probability: the home school environment is one in which social interaction with large groups of kids does not come as naturally. More effort must be made on the part of both the kid and the parents, and it is thus easier for that effort not to be made satisfactorily.

I think Shinto was likely referring to people who have a blind bias, not people who objectively look at a homeschooler, rather than concluding outright that they're socially inept because they were homeschooled.

MKR on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I fail to see where the gap in the logic lies.

You've got some serious fallacies in the assumptions on which you base your logic. Home school kids don't spend all their time at home, nor all of their learing time. You're also assuming forced interactions (especially forced high school interactions) always lead to positive social development.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cheezy wrote: »
    I was homeschooled and am now in college, and my only real social issue (besides being completely inept with women) is that I find around 95% of the people around me annoying. And those are the people who don't share my interests. Those who do share my interests tend to be extremely annoying. No, I don't want to hear your play-by-play of the video game I lent you.

Academically, I seem to be doing all right. But then again, I'm still taking intro courses at a state school in the middle of Bumfuck, Kansas. So who knows?

Being inept with women is pretty much the norm for men.

Once a guy gets married, many happily regress to the 13 year oldish "girls are yucky" mentality (except for your wife of course) and no longer care what other women think outside of normal, polite interaction. I.E. I'm married, I don't have to impress you.

Marriage has been ironically...liberating in that reguard.

Annoying how? Annoying as in the level of conversation seems too lowbrow or too immature?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote:

John Nash was seriously fucked up in the head, and managed to stay afloat for so long just by being incredibly intelligent. Have you read A Beautiful Mind? As impressed as I am with his achievements, he's really not someone to aspire to be.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was home schooled until i was about 14 (my mum used to be a teacher). i'm fine, no one has ever guessed i was taught at home, people just assume home schooled people are wierd.

And to be fair, i have met some pretty wierd home schooled people, however, had they been to school, they would have been just as wierd.... it is just the parents.

Roblo on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Roblo wrote: »
    I was home schooled until i was about 14 (my mum used to be a teacher). i'm fine, no one has ever guessed i was taught at home, people just assume home schooled people are wierd.

And to be fair, i have met some pretty wierd home schooled people, however, had they been to school, they would have been just as wierd.... it is just the parents.

Agreed. I heartily disagree with the assumption that school leads to positive social development.

Throwing that many kids together is actually a pretty artificial thing to do, and kids deal with it in completely different ways.
    Cheezy wrote: »

I can agree with this, at least partially. I don't mind the "play-by-plays" usually, but I recognize that there is a certain subset of people who can make those somewhat irritating. But the college social scene places tons of value in pointless things, and worships meaningless eccentricity. Even my best friend has caught the disease, to my dismay. No, do not think that so and so is intrinsically "awesome" thankyouverymuch.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was essentially homeschooled through high school. Sure, I had to put some effort into adjusting initially, but three years in now I'm fine and have a satisfying social life.

That said, it might have been an easier transition from a regular high school experience, and I don't know that I would want to homeschool my future kids. Even so, I know some people in my year who attended large public high schools and have turned out with more of the awkward traits people seem to associate with homeschooled kids even this far in, so I guess your mileage may vary.

Erlking on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Agreed. I heartily disagree with the assumption that school leads to positive social development.

Throwing that many kids together is actually a pretty artificial thing to do, and kids deal with it in completely different ways.

What!? What does this even mean?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

What!? What does this even mean?

People are different, and assumptions should be avoided.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's the latter part - especially about it being an "artificial thing to do" that needs explanation.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    It's the latter part - especially about it being an "artificial thing to do" that needs explanation.

Strictly speaking, it is pretty artificial. I doubt that there was another time in history where thousands of children were crammed in to one structure. :P

MKR on