As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boondocks] is over, the finale was awful. Sigh.

DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
the_boondocks.jpg

This is my first attempt at starting a thread for this forum, and I looked; there didn't seem to be any threads specifically about my current favorite cartoon series, The Boondocks.

When it was a cartoon strip, I thought it was quaint... a left wing commentary to contrast the right-leaning nation of the early 2000's. When it stopped being made because the author, one Aaron McGruder, was going into television, I was originally worried that we'd lost a unique voice to the halls of television sell-outedness.

Luckily, my fears were unfounded.

Flash-heavy site:
http://www.boondockstv.com/

This is one of the finest American cartoons in production, miles more consistant than "Family Guy" or, god forbid, "American Dad." The level of social commentary pulled off is, while not necessarally better than "The Simpsons," it's sharper and, perhaps, bolder.

A lot of the show's commedy is about race, but, unlike Carlos Mencia, it's not one-note, and doesn't go for the lowest common denomonator. The "N" word is used very consistantly throughout most episodes, but its use is generally by comical black people to denote their own ignorance (as opposed to informed black people like Huey), or by Huey in a scholarly tone to define certain behaviors ("a n***** moment").

The Main Cast:

Huey Freeman
220px-Huey_che.jpg
Huey is half conspiracy theorist, half social commentator, and half ninja. I'm aware that that's three halves. He's just that awesome. Huey is the voice of the show, though not all episodes are based around him... some barely have him in them at all. I think the purpose of Huey is to give the show a voice of reason that's still fallable, and to let us know that it's okay to be paranoid... sometimes they are out to get you.

Riley Freeman
220px-Riley_scarface.jpg
Riley is the uncontrolled id. He doesn't bat an eye at any strange behavior unless it's "gay," whether it's spray painting the neighborhood or kidnapping television personalities. While he usually plays second-fiddle to Huey, he can carry the main plot of entire episodes ("Riley Wuz Here"). He idolizes rappers, gangsters, and gangster rappers... and generally says the most immature thing that you were thinking at any given moment.

Granddad
(couldn't find a good picture of just him... help me out here)

Robert Jebediah Freeman, or "Granddad" is Huey and Riley's legal guardian (I'm not sure what happened to their parents), and, while his grandchildren care about him, neither respects him much. To Huey, he represents the failings of all black people in a white world, while Riley just thinks he's a kinda gross old man who smacks him with a belt for being bad. He is the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of civil rights, having been at the fringes of all the major events in modern black history, but never getting credit for them.

The Freemans live in an upscale white neighborhood in Chicago, and must brave the perils of an odd cast of supporting players:

Uncle Ruckus:
The old Uncle Tom that seems to take the place of the voice-cracking pimpled teenager in "The Simpsons." The guy works everywhere, from the movie theatre to the neighborhood watch, always preaching the evils of black people and the inherent goodness of white folk (In "The Passion of the Ruckus" he has a near-death experience and meets Ronald Reagan in heaven, much to his bliss).

Jazmine:
The mixed-race girl thet lives across the street from the Freemans. She's sweet and innocent, and Huey disabuses her of her childish notions about the world. All the same, they're close friends. A contextually chilling episode takes place when she opens a lemonade stand which is bought out and run into the ground by a white businessman because she wants a pony.

A Pimp Named Slickback:
Like a "Pup Named Scooby Doo," or "A Tribe Called Quest," you don't just call him "Slickback." A Pimp Named Slickback only features in two episodes heavily, but he can be seen around town in several more. What can I say? He's A Pimp Named Slickback. Voiced by Katt Williams. 'Nuff said.

Ed Wuncler III and Gin Rummy:
Ed is the idiot who goes around town robbing his father's shops... and his father owns the entire town, seemingly. When caught, nobody arrests him... since it's all his dad's stuff anyway. Gin Rummy is his (white) Iraq war buddy who is voiced by Samuel L. Jackson and comes up with all the criminal schemes. Wikipedia tells me that they're supposed to represent George W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld, and... well, I can see it. They're idiots, yo, and proof that Ruckus isn't right about white people being superior.

Tom Dubois:
Jazimine's dad and the show's common victim. He works with the District Attorney to put away criminals, and lives in fear of anal prison rape. He's often portrayed as representing the wrong way for a black man to integrate into white society. He's kinda a wimp.

Colonel Stinkmeaner:
The blind, foulmouthed old black man that hates everyone and everything. If he died, the world would probably be better for it. Unless he came back from hell to possess black folk and spread suffering and prejudice. May or may not be the Black Samurai.

Dorothy:
Granddad's ride. Recently pimped.

There are other great characters, but I don't have time to list them all.

So, now that I've introduced this series, which airs at 11 PM Eastern on Cartoon Network, I'd like to hear what you fine folks think. Is a TV-MA cartoon bursting with the "N word" an appropriate vehicle to discuss racial issues? Or did Chris Rock and Richard Prior use up all the good meditiations on race already?

Dracomicron on

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really liked the first season, but the second season seems to be bordering on the absurd a tad too much to be considered any sort of viable social commentary. I also think it's a shame that he stopped working on the comic strip which spawned said cartoon in order to focus on the cartoon. His perogative, of course, I just think it's a pity.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think anything can be a vehicle to discuss race issues, if done well. I think the Boondocks are an example of where this is done fairly well. I like the way Huey and Riley seem to represent two different variations of popular media portrayals of black youth. Well, actually, Riley is pretty much the embodiment of all the negative associations there are about black youth. Huey just seems like the rational one who allows us to filter how crazy everyone else is.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I really liked the first season, but the second season seems to be bordering on the absurd a tad too much to be considered any sort of viable social commentary. I also think it's a shame that he stopped working on the comic strip which spawned said cartoon in order to focus on the cartoon. His perogative, of course, I just think it's a pity.

I'll grant you that they strayed further into absurdist territory than ever before with "Stinkmeaner Strikes Back," but I happen to love the Afro-Samurai-style fight squences in this show, and that one was full of them.

They've had good luck with alternate-reality sorta stuff before. "Return of the King" really brought a tear to my eye... I'm hoping they have an episode that good this season.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is currently my favorite show on TV since the Wire isnt on. Im a huge fan of this show and encourage people to watch it whenever it comes up, or more accurately, I bring it up. Its funny how few people Ive showed it to actually get its messages and social/political commentary. I guess I live around a bunch of idiots.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    One thing that's nice to see is that McGruder's tackling issues that aren't considered "black" - the opening ep was a pretty good example of that.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The comics had that white girl(forget her name), that worshiped black culture. Has she been on the show? Not really funny outside of Lawlz white kids loves that Hip hop, but intresting foil for Huey.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    The comics had that white girl(forget her name), that worshiped black culture. Has she been on the show? Not really funny outside of Lawlz white kids loves that Hip hop, but intresting foil for Huey.

That would be Cindy. I've heard rumors that she's going to show up in this season, but she hasn't shown up yet.

I agree that she would be a good character, but I think they wanted to establish Jazmine, a more important girl character, first.

They also haven't introduced Ceasar yet, either, and he was in the comics for a long time... again, I bet they want to establish the boy characters strongly before adding in male friends.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The only episode I've seen this season was the Return of Stinkmeaner.

I was not impressed. Not only did it cheapen the impact of the original Stinkmeaner episode, It really didn't have any good social commentary, nor did I really find it too amusing.

A shame because I thought the first episode ended in a very poignant way. I am hoping I'll like the rest of this season better.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The only episode I've seen this season was the Return of Stinkmeaner.

I was not impressed. Not only did it cheapen the impact of the original Stinkmeaner episode, It really didn't have any good social commentary, nor did I really find it too amusing.

A shame because I thought the first episode ended in a very poignant way. I am hoping I'll like the rest of this season better.

I suppose I get that. Hard to bring back a popular character who
    died at the end of his first episode.

I agree that the first episode with him did have an excellent message, and the second was a little more "fluff," but they don't all have to be serious. I really enjoyed the bit at the end with Stinkmeaner and Ruckus.

Sophmore slump perhaps?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not on my regular viewing schedule, but I do enjoy it when I catch it. It's a deceptively smart show.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is coming from a Boondocks fan who has never seen the animated series, but read the strip religiously from Day 1...

I think McGruder's work is far more important when it appears in the comics. Eh, I'm an old, cranky bastard, and I don't stay up to watch cartoons. I love anything animated, but I just have too much shit to do to watch animated stuff late at night.

That being said, yeah, I'm older, but I also love the fact that The Boondocks appeared in my local paper (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) next to disposable bullshit like Garfield and, more importantly, The Family Circus. Now, indulge me for a moment: yeah, we're talking the comic section here, but just recently--like, within the last 6 months--I specifically remember a Family Circus where one of the kids came home talking about prayer in sphool and "One Nation Under God" and it was obvious the political/religious message Keane was making. :x

Taking that into consideration, I prefer seeing McGruder's work on a two-pager newspaper fold-out going up against material like Bill Keane. Boondocks on late night on a cable chanel with an anime style is fine and cool, but McGruder is being far more subversive when his message appears alongside cartoonists like Kean and regular newspaper readers have a chance of viewing his message. Well, except for Get Fuzzy--that shit rules, too, and has some great, subtle, subversive subtext.

My fantasy: Riley and Bucky Katt blasting a few 9mm rounds into Billy as he is doing one of his Family Circus dotted line map runs... and then stealing his tennis shoes. :lol:

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, you don't need to stay up late. Watch them on the website or rent the dvds.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I bought the Season 1 DVD for $20 and it was worth every penny. I'll buy the second season when it comes out, too.

As for subversive, I do catch your meaning about it being next to the Family Circus. Ages ago, I saw one during November on an election year with the fucking kid saying, "Are we Democraps or 'Publicans?" Very subtle Keane. Jackass. Follow the trail to my middle finger.:roll:

On the other hand, the comic strip can't get into the depth on some things that the cartoon can. "Return of the King" won a Peabody award for its meditation on what Martin Luther King, Jr. would think about black culture today. And it got Al Sharpton all tied up in knots over it, which was amusing. Sorry, Al. You're not MLK Jr. and will never be. Not even close.

It would be nice if McGruder got to a place where he could do both consistantly, but I'm happy with just the cartoon series for now (this must be what the Japanese feel like with all of their anime/manga series).

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's definitely a hilarious show, but the sequences where Huey and Riley turn into anime superheroes are really old.

It's not funny anymore, if it ever even was.

Sam on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All I really have to say is that this scene is one of my favourite pieces of satire ever.

japan on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited November 2007
    japan wrote: »
    All I really have to say is that this scene is one of my favourite pieces of satire ever.

A thousand :^:s

The first time I saw that, I was in tears.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The comic strip pretty much went downhill after 9/11, imo. It was all just Huey sitting in front of the TV as McGruder mocked the administration and the character would just look at the viewer in the last panel. Before 9/11, Huey and Reily would go to school, get ass whippings, and other more funny character centered stuff.

The cartoon is more like the comic strip in its first couple years. Except with kung-fu.

Can't really be mad at kung-fu.

LRG on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LRG wrote: »

The cartoon is more like the comic strip in its first couple years. Except with kung-fu.

Can't really be mad at kung-fu.

I GOT THREE-STICK NUUUUUUNCHUCKS!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Boondocks is the most outrageously funny show on TV.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    What does it mean to be the stone that the builder refused

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Casket wrote: »
    What does it mean to be the stone that the builder refused

It's from the bible. The stone the builder refused has become the cornerstone of the temple.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw a bit of one episode, can't say I much liked it, but that's mostly because it wouldn't choose between being 'politically' funny, and being an anime show.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I saw a bit of one episode, can't say I much liked it, but that's mostly because it wouldn't choose between being 'politically' funny, and being an anime show.

Why does it have to choose? Do you know how many political references end up in anime?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why does it have to choose? Do you know how many political references end up in anime?
    Yes, I do, but it didn't really work for me. I think I'm just a little bitter, because I really liked the strip, overall, and I don't get the same feeling from the show. Most likely it has to do with the fact that I realized that the show reflects the comic strip as the real world reflects Katchem_Ash's view of reality. Not fair, I know, but I just can't get into it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Most likely it has to do with the fact that I realized that the show reflects the comic strip as the real world reflects Katchem_Ash's view of reality. Not fair, I know, but I just can't get into it.

Why you need to be hatin', bro?

Anyway, they both come from the same place... McGruder seems to have a lot of creative control. If nothing else, gotta give the guy credit for making good.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Most likely it has to do with the fact that I realized that the show reflects the comic strip as the real world reflects Katchem_Ash's view of reality. Not fair, I know, but I just can't get into it.

Why you need to be hatin', bro?

Anyway, they both come from the same place... McGruder seems to have a lot of creative control. If nothing else, gotta give the guy credit for making good.
    Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying it's bad, I was just saying I couldn't get into it as much as the strip.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Season one was excellent, but I wasn't too impressed by Return of Stinkmeaner.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Season one was excellent, but I wasn't too impressed by Return of Stinkmeaner.

Did you see thugnificent? Hilarious.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    I think as a show, it's wildly uneven, and not helped by the really weak-ass voices for Huey and Riley. They sound more authentically "kid" than, say Bart or Lisa, but the actors can't really emote for shit, so a lot of lines that would otherwise be pretty funny are tripped up by the performance. There's a similar problem with the writing, with gags that would work in the abstract getting either strung out too long or cut short too soon, so I find myself laughing more at the idea of the joke than at how it was actually pulled off.

Essentially I feel like the show is operating consistently at about sixty percent of its true potential; it's enough to entertain me, but I'd like more.

All that said, it's also a smart, principled show that's one of the few programs on TV (besides like The Wire) that gives an honest look at modern race relations. I wish the strip was still going, though, because I loved the idea that a certain segment of the population that would never watch Comedy Central or Cartoon Network was getting exposed to this stuff every morning along with their muffin tops and Dilbert.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The second season is nowhere near as good as the first. But I guess that isn't so bad. I mean, it's not like we waited two years for new episodes to start airing.

But the first season was brilliant, so I keep watching.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Uncle Ruckus (?) is a lot more prominent in the second season. They're burning through his jokes by overexposure. That and they gave him Jabba the Hutt theme music.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, I think the second season is afflicted with the same syndrome that many unique shows face in the second season: do you push the envelope and make new content that might fall flat, or do you take the safe route and do more of what worked in the first season?

People loved Stinkmeaner. They loved Uncle Ruckus. They loved the martial arts battles. They loved A Pimp Named Slickback. So McGruder brought it all back for a second go-round. While I'm not as disappointed as some of you are, I'm also somewhat reserving judgement... there's still plenty of time in the season for something as inspired as "A Huey Freeman Christmas" or "Return of the King."

If nothing else, if the show goes a third season, I'd be willing to bet that it will start taking chances again.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Uncle Ruckus (?) is a lot more prominent in the second season. They're burning through his jokes by overexposure. That and they gave him Jabba the Hutt theme music.

I never found him that amusing in the first place, honestly.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ruckus is amusing when used properly. He just shouldn't be in every episode.

Also, A Pimp Named Slickback is pretty awesome and I was so glad he came back.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, A Pimp Named Slickback is pretty awesome and I was so glad he came back.

I shamefully missed this season's A Pimp Named Slickback episode.

It's okay, I'll get it on DVD.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And now I want to talk about Soul Plane...

That revolution scene gives me shivers.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does the website have entire episodes?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does the website have entire episodes?

Adult Swim's website does. They at least show the premiere episodes.

Shogun on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw most of Season One, and now work interferes with my seeing Season Two. :(

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw most of Season One, and now work interferes with my seeing Season Two. :(

I turned my cable off so I'm with you. Thank god for the AS website.

Shogun on