Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Top Gear

2456799

Posts

  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Decius wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I suspect this is what happened with Mythbusters, when they tried to show that speeding cameras can be bypassed if you go fast enough is a myth. Top Gear showed that they just didn't drive fast enough.

    They actually countered this in a Myth revisit when they had their expert say that the US style speed camera works differently than the UK method; the UK one takes two pictures where as the US only takes one. Still could be a politically motivated smoke screen, but they did at least half address this.

    Ah, my bad. I haven't seen that revisit. It just seemed a tad fishy, as their 'very fast car' used a quite underwhelming velocity. I guess I'm a bit paranoid.

    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Africa episode is up there with the Caravan holiday and aquatic vehicles one in sheer hilarity. but the photography and adventure was damn awesome. I want to visit those salt flats.

    The_Scarab on
    scarab you have mental problems
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Falx wrote: »
    I don't know about Clarkson debating foreign policy... my impression is that he's just plain intolerant of idiocy in general to an uncomfortable (yet somehow amusing) degree. He rags on britain as well is what I'm saying.
    I read May's blog on their America-trip and he's not a big fan of the country himself as well. Keeps rambling on about the old flags on cars and that you never see Nazi flags on European cars. First comment was "That's because Nazi flags are forbidden by law in European countries". :P

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Africa episode is up there with the Caravan holiday and aquatic vehicles one in sheer hilarity. but the photography and adventure was damn awesome. I want to visit those salt flats.

    I forgot about that caravan adventure! I hope so much that it wasn't set up - burning down of their own caravan, and someone else's tent.

    Anarchy Rules! on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Africa episode is up there with the Caravan holiday and aquatic vehicles one in sheer hilarity. but the photography and adventure was damn awesome. I want to visit those salt flats.

    I forgot about that caravan adventure! I hope so much that it wasn't set up - burning down of their own caravan, and someone else's tent.
    Of course it was set-up, HSE would've been on their arses if it wasn't. Charlie Brooker spoke about it briefly on Screenwipe. Still funny to watch though.

    Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • CyvrosCyvros Not Naruto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a goddamn awesome show.

    It almost makes me want to care about cars.

    Same. I have no idea how the damn things work, but this is the best car show I've ever seen. Makes Monday nights so much more entertaining.

    I absolutely loved the Porsche Cheap Car Challenge, especially James' flaming paint job.

    Cyvros on
    Cy turned out to be much better in person.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    US version of top gear would be retarded, half the season would be different incarnations of mustang/shelby vs corvette vs camaro vs viper, we just don't make ridiculous supercars here that can actually corner
    that and clarkson would probably get arrested over and over again for speeding

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm totally not surprised by the last episode and who won in a race across London. You knew the car was gonna be screwed in that challenge.

    oldmanken on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My favorite challenge was still the "scaling the cliff" one. Of course it was set up to be close (100km drive vs 1200meter climb) But holy hell that speedclimber was crazy. He was jumping from one spot to the next at points.

    The basejumping joke at the end was a bit predictable though.

    SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • FatsFats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I'm totally not surprised by the last episode and who won in a race across London. You knew the car was gonna be screwed in that challenge.

    This may be a bit heretical, but it was one of my favorite challenges they've done. Stig minding the gap and Stig vs. magical moving stairway made me laugh so hard. I was a bit surprised to see Hammond on a bicycle instead of a motorbike or scooter, but I imagine the results would be the same.

    Also, hooray for Oliver. emot-unsmith.gif

    Fats on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey Sander, do you know what was up with last Friday's show? It looked like some sort of compilation, but I didn't care enough to keep watching the things I've already seen.

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fats wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I'm totally not surprised by the last episode and who won in a race across London. You knew the car was gonna be screwed in that challenge.

    This may be a bit heretical, but it was one of my favorite challenges they've done. Stig minding the gap and Stig vs. magical moving stairway made me laugh so hard. I was a bit surprised to see Hammond on a bicycle instead of a motorbike or scooter, but I imagine the results would be the same.

    Also, hooray for Oliver. emot-unsmith.gif

    Isn't Hammond shipping Oliver from Africa? I recall them saying something like that.

    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, Hammond is having the car he drove across Africa to the UK. The guy totally fell in love with that car.

    My favorite part from the last episode with the Stig was when he picked up the paper, turned to the back and then threw it down when he saw the story about Hamilton.

    oldmanken on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Stig was totally hilarious in this last episode. I love him. <3

    APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I upgraded my cable a few months ago so I get BBC America now. I've only seen about 5 or 6 episodes and I think they're from last year but they're awsome.

    Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All Top Gear with the trio(Clarkson, Hammond, May) is brilliant. The show is getting more outrageous all the time. It's one of the few shows I bother to watch. The latest race across london was great. Hammond was suffering the whole way. :D

    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited November 2007
    UK people, remember that Clarkson is hosting a special edition of QI for children in need tonight and is bound to be hilarious.

    APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • CyvrosCyvros Not Naruto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haha! Fantastic news down here: BBC Worldwide has signed a deal with Australia's SBS to produce an Australian version of the show. Jeremy Clarkson: "I'm delighted that Top Gear is going to Australia. Maybe the first guest could be Jonny Wilkinson." :D

    Cyvros on
    Cy turned out to be much better in person.
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited November 2007
    YES.

    FULL OF WIN.

    I wonder how many petrol heads I'll have to kill with my bare hands to get into the studio audience.

    devoir on
  • CyvrosCyvros Not Naruto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's the bet it'll be filmed in Sydney?

    According to the announcement on the SBS website, it'll be produced by Freehand Productions, Beeb Worldwide's Australasian partner.

    Cyvros on
    Cy turned out to be much better in person.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any way to watch the episodes online? I don't get TV here, let alone the BBC, so it's a little difficult to keep up with the show.

    Brolo on
  • CyvrosCyvros Not Naruto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Is there any way to watch the episodes online? I don't get TV here, let alone the BBC, so it's a little difficult to keep up with the show.

    You can watch some segments on the Top Gear site itself, but I don't think the entire episode. Probably can when the iPlayer thing is fully released.

    Cyvros on
    Cy turned out to be much better in person.
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User
    edited November 2007
    I freaking love this show. My roomies and I make a point to watch each new episode every week. I've been watching it for a few years now.

    I'm a car geek, and the way the show overdramatizes cars is fantastic, because the crazy production values and music are how I actually perceive cars. :P

    Not to mention the show is frequently hilarious.

    Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • TexiKenTexiKen that's quacktastic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I enjoy the show as well.

    The first show I ever saw that made me aware of this series was when they went camping. I was in Europe at the time and remember watching that same camping episode in Amsterdam and Germany (on different days, of course), and I kept thinking "this is infotainment" even if Clarkson is a dick with him hating the America. I guess he's just pissy he kept breaking his Ford GT.

    I mean really, when they were in the US the reason they got hit with stones was because they were British, not because of that shit on their cars. And the whole Katrina thing was blown out of proportion. When people don't care to help themselves, you can only do so much before you just say you've had it.

    The best challenge was the space shuttle Reliant Robin. I laugh everytime the thing crashes.

    That Ken Livingston guy, though. How is he still mayor? Some of the stuff is just stupid (do you really need to call to pay for the congestion fee once you enter the city? You don't just have a sticker to stick to the windshield like we have for toll-roads?)

    Re-paving the road in a day was awesome. Especially the 70 fish and chips.

    This and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares are great shows. Too bad BBC can't put a show out for more than 4-6 episodes before calling it a series.

    Although, I must take offense to one review; they did a review of a Ford F-150 SVT Lightning, the shittiest truck Ford made. And then they used it in a way it's not supposed to be used. Use a GMC at a worksite and it will put any fucking van to shame. Trucks are an American thing I guess.

    TexiKen on
    bmsc_zpszik2vz0p.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Ken Livingstone isn't the Minster for Public Transport, he's the Mayor of London.

    devoir on
  • TexiKenTexiKen that's quacktastic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Ken Livingstone isn't the Minster for Public Transport, he's the Mayor of London.

    Well, fuck.
    Outside of all this transportation shit, is he any good? Because those parking meters where you pay with a credit card, THAT was stupid.

    TexiKen on
    bmsc_zpszik2vz0p.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    Ken Livingstone isn't the Minster for Public Transport, he's the Mayor of London.

    Well, fuck.
    Outside of all this transportation shit, is he any good? Because those parking meters where you pay with a credit card, THAT was stupid.

    An actual credit card or a smart card you can load money onto?

    Falx on
  • TexiKenTexiKen that's quacktastic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Falx wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    Ken Livingstone isn't the Minster for Public Transport, he's the Mayor of London.

    Well, fuck.
    Outside of all this transportation shit, is he any good? Because those parking meters where you pay with a credit card, THAT was stupid.

    An actual credit card or a smart card you can load money onto?

    From what was shown, there are no more meters in certain areas.
    What you do instead is call up this number on the sign, tell your number that you're parking at.
    Then, they want your credit card number.
    THEN, they want you to put in the license # of your vehicle, on a touch tone phone. It's like texting from hell.

    When all you had to do before is put money in the meter and be on your way. 30 seconds at most. The new way is a minimum of 5 minutes.

    TexiKen on
    bmsc_zpszik2vz0p.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holy crap, I cannot believe someone somewhere didn't say, "This is retardedly difficult, denied."

    A city close by is also experimenting with no meters. They have people walking around with those little palm pc's who record your license number, and the time you parked. You pay them directly, or you get a ticket in the mail.

    To be fair though, they're required to actually approach you directly and tell you how much you owe. If they don't notice you, or you leave before they can get to you, you aren't liable to pay. It's about twice as expensive as normal parking though.

    Falx on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Wow.. I hope Top Gear AU airs in the UK as well. More Top Gear is in no way bad news.

    APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Haha! Fantastic news down here: BBC Worldwide has signed a deal with Australia's SBS to produce an Australian version of the show. Jeremy Clarkson: "I'm delighted that Top Gear is going to Australia. Maybe the first guest could be Jonny Wilkinson." :D

    Jonny Wilkinson is always more than welcome down here. It'd be nice if he could be bothered doing something for more than 30 minutes in a row though since he's always bloody injured.

    Blake T on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    Ken Livingstone isn't the Minster for Public Transport, he's the Mayor of London.

    Well, fuck.
    Outside of all this transportation shit, is he any good? Because those parking meters where you pay with a credit card, THAT was stupid.

    An actual credit card or a smart card you can load money onto?

    From what was shown, there are no more meters in certain areas.
    What you do instead is call up this number on the sign, tell your number that you're parking at.
    Then, they want your credit card number.
    THEN, they want you to put in the license # of your vehicle, on a touch tone phone. It's like texting from hell.

    When all you had to do before is put money in the meter and be on your way. 30 seconds at most. The new way is a minimum of 5 minutes.

    I don't live in London but do vist from time to time, I think that was an Oyster Card (a card you load money onto from your account...there is some benefit to it I think) that they can use on ANY public transport, to pay for goods, iirc in sainsburys they get points or some such malarky and pay for parking.

    It's exclusive to London and I usually see them on the underground cos you have to be retarded to try and drive there now.

    Venkman90 on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited November 2007
    No, the Oyster card wasn't being used for parking, he was using his credit card.

    devoir on
  • GorakGorak Registered User
    edited November 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I mean really, when they were in the US the reason they got hit with stones was because they were British, not because of that shit on their cars. And the whole Katrina thing was blown out of proportion. When people don't care to help themselves, you can only do so much before you just say you've had it.

    O_o

    Gorak on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I mean really, when they were in the US the reason they got hit with stones was because they were British, not because of that shit on their cars. And the whole Katrina thing was blown out of proportion. When people don't care to help themselves, you can only do so much before you just say you've had it.

    O_o

    Glad I'm not the only one who went o_O over that.

    1) I'm sure the Alabama lady called her boys just because they had a funny accent. Nope, nothing to do with them painting their cars pink and trolling it up.

    2) People don't care to help themselves? What *are* you talking about?

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • TexiKenTexiKen that's quacktastic! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Gorak wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I mean really, when they were in the US the reason they got hit with stones was because they were British, not because of that shit on their cars. And the whole Katrina thing was blown out of proportion. When people don't care to help themselves, you can only do so much before you just say you've had it.

    O_o

    Glad I'm not the only one who went o_O over that.

    1) I'm sure the Alabama lady called her boys just because they had a funny accent. Nope, nothing to do with them painting their cars pink and trolling it up.

    2) People don't care to help themselves? What *are* you talking about?

    I guess the humor was a little bit dry. Of course the rednecks started shit with them because of their painted cars (less the Hillary 08 and more the NASCAR sucks and man love is ok bits).

    The Katrina stuff is a bit more in relation to the area that they visited. They went to one of the worst parts of town where the people will not try and fix it themselves; every city has these areas so don't make it seem like I'm going after those innocent Katrina victims. My original post was also in response to the ending where the lady tried to sue them unl;ess they gave her $20,000 because he donated a Camaro that was one year off what he thought (a '90 instead of an '89 I believe). Don't be a bitch when someone gives you a car and then try to squeeze more out of them. I would have taken the car back and said fuck off and drove it into a ditch.

    TexiKen on
    bmsc_zpszik2vz0p.jpg
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Gorak wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I mean really, when they were in the US the reason they got hit with stones was because they were British, not because of that shit on their cars. And the whole Katrina thing was blown out of proportion. When people don't care to help themselves, you can only do so much before you just say you've had it.

    O_o

    Glad I'm not the only one who went o_O over that.

    1) I'm sure the Alabama lady called her boys just because they had a funny accent. Nope, nothing to do with them painting their cars pink and trolling it up.

    2) People don't care to help themselves? What *are* you talking about?

    I guess the humor was a little bit dry. Of course the rednecks started shit with them because of their painted cars (less the Hillary 08 and more the NASCAR sucks and man love is ok bits).

    The Katrina stuff is a bit more in relation to the area that they visited. They went to one of the worst parts of town where the people will not try and fix it themselves; every city has these areas so don't make it seem like I'm going after those innocent Katrina victims. My original post was also in response to the ending where the lady tried to sue them unl;ess they gave her $20,000 because he donated a Camaro that was one year off what he thought (a '90 instead of an '89 I believe). Don't be a bitch when someone gives you a car and then try to squeeze more out of them. I would have taken the car back and said fuck off and drove it into a ditch.

    Actually, them getting sued didn't surprise me. I've heard weirder stories of people sueing others.

    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I guess the humor was a little bit dry. Of course the rednecks started shit with them because of their painted cars (less the Hillary 08 and more the NASCAR sucks and man love is ok bits).

    The Katrina stuff is a bit more in relation to the area that they visited. They went to one of the worst parts of town where the people will not try and fix it themselves; every city has these areas so don't make it seem like I'm going after those innocent Katrina victims. My original post was also in response to the ending where the lady tried to sue them unl;ess they gave her $20,000 because he donated a Camaro that was one year off what he thought (a '90 instead of an '89 I believe). Don't be a bitch when someone gives you a car and then try to squeeze more out of them. I would have taken the car back and said fuck off and drove it into a ditch.
    Sarcasm over the intertubes is easily lost. :(

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • CyvrosCyvros Not Naruto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you're in Australia, you can now apply to be a presenter of our Top Gear. They've been airing ads of the UK Top Gear presenters talking about the upcoming Australian version during our airings of Top Gear.

    Cyvros on
    Cy turned out to be much better in person.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm... I wonder if they'll get the presenter chemistry working anywhere near the level that it is in UK Top Gear. It took them a couple of seasons to nail it. I'm all for more crazy car shows though, I hope it works out.

    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.