As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Gear

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They better not skimp on the budget, Prime stuff looks cheaper than most Netflix stuff which is pretty cheap outside of House of Cards.

This is a big get for Amazon though, Not-TG will make me keep my Prime account going for another year at least.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I have prime for the free shipping and such that they offer a movies and shows is just a bonus, this is great news!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They better not skimp on the budget, Prime stuff looks cheaper than most Netflix stuff which is pretty cheap outside of House of Cards.

This is a big get for Amazon though, Not-TG will make me keep my Prime account going for another year at least.

maybe they can get a few loan cars from Mr.bin Laden

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I just got Netflix (not for the rumor of them being on Netflix) and of course they go to amazon prime. God damnit.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    damn i was hoping it wouldn't be Amazon prime video, we don't have that in Canada :(

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Foomy wrote: »
    damn i was hoping it wouldn't be Amazon prime video, we don't have that in Canada :(

Yeah, Prime is pretty shit here in Canada. None of the media stuff, and still the same price as it is in the US. Considering we get all of Netflix's original programming here, it feels like it's probably mostly a case of Amazon just not giving a shit about this market.

They also seem to have a very interpretive idea of what 'two day shipping' means sometimes.

Guess I won't be watching this for a while.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    FINALLY MY PRIME MEMBERSHIP IS JUSTIFIED!

Also.....my prime membership is how i found Justified. My 2nd favorite "drama" ever.

At any rate, i sure hope Amazon can improve the gui for it as its still a bit clunky. This should be a sizable money maker for them.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Amazon would be fools not to give them all the money in the world. This is their big chance to become a global competitor to Netflix. There's simply no other 'reality TV' show that has this kind of global audience.

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    FINALLY MY PRIME MEMBERSHIP IS JUSTIFIED!

Also.....my prime membership is how i found Justified. My 2nd favorite "drama" ever.

At any rate, i sure hope Amazon can improve the gui for it as its still a bit clunky. This should be a sizable money maker for them.

I tend to watch prime on my xbone, it's decent not amazing, but serves my needs.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    Amazon would be fools not to give them all the money in the world. This is their big chance to become a global competitor to Netflix. There's simply no other 'reality TV' show that has this kind of global audience.

Yet it is only available in the US, so the global audience won't officially be able to watch it

• Options
    I wonder if this will correspond with a global launch of amazon's prime video service? That would only make sense, which means they won't do it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Perhaps, but I think negotiating the content rights takes a while, unless they have already started - and they can't launch with just Prime Gear

• Options
    I dunno they might be able to launch with just prime gear. It's a fairly big get.

I guess since I'm an american with prime its a WOOO FUCK YEAH! Moment...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    prime exists for amazon.co.uk (just checked).

The top gear folks are top of the page banner.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Apparently it's also in Japan, Germany and Austria, just under the name "amazon instant video" - the prime thing is a US-only branding it looks like

• Options
    Good prime should only be in merica, because we are PRIME TIME BABY!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Apparently it's also in Japan, Germany and Austria, just under the name "amazon instant video" - the prime thing is a US-only branding it looks like

except you can go to amazon.co.uk and see Amazon Prime right there. :)
    OKLAw5tl.png

• Options
    I just remembered with the BBC they get music rights for free, basically, which is why on the repeats of the older seasons it's always bad fill-in music (they can't use the A-Team music when they fix their cars, for instance), and why they seemed to cut down on real music in recent seasons because it created a worldwide music rights issue and having to get everything cleared.

I wonder if with Amazon's music service that allows for the show to still use real stuff.

• Options
    I just remembered with the BBC they get music rights for free, basically, which is why on the repeats of the older seasons it's always bad fill-in music (they can't use the A-Team music when they fix their cars, for instance), and why they seemed to cut down on real music in recent seasons because it created a worldwide music rights issue and having to get everything cleared.

I wonder if with Amazon's music service that allows for the show to still use real stuff.

yeah I hope Amazon has some licensing deals. Otherwise I guess they'll just have to buy the rights to the Dark Knight soundtrack and the A-Team theme.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It can be fun playing "spot the soundtrack" in TG.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory has appeared at least twice.

• Options
    They started using Always Sunny In Philadelphia's theme a bit recently and I was like, yeah, that works for those guys.

Jeremy is Dennis, Richard is Mac, James is Charlie, Dee, and Frank put together. Stig is Waitress.

• Options
    They started using Always Sunny In Philadelphia's theme a bit recently and I was like, yeah, that works for those guys.

Jeremy is Dennis, Richard is Mac, James is Charlie, Dee, and Frank put together. Stig is Waitress.

somehow I know that they didn't get the idea from It's Always Sunny.

• Options
    James signed off on it, because he likes the germans.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

After more looking into it, it looks like Amazon Japan doesn't get the unlimited video streaming. In fact, Alpha House looks like it's the only Amazon original that's on there, but you have to pay for it.

Oh well. Good thing I only pay ~$40 a year for Prime for some kick ass same day shipping.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    They also use(d) music from Mass Effect 2 all the time.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    jefe414 wrote: »

Especially "Heart of Courage" by Two Steps From Hell, which was in the ME2 launch trailer as well as approximately 50% of all trailers for anything else ever that's released since then.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they used a bunch of Two Steps From Hell (and I think some Audiomachine and I forget the other trailer music group)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »

Especially "Heart of Courage" by Two Steps From Hell, which was in the ME2 launch trailer as well as approximately 50% of all trailers for anything else ever that's released since then.

Ahh yes. That ME2 launch trailer theme was exactly what I was thinking of!

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    As a musician, i would willingly let TG use any and all of my music. That would be the best promo i could ask for.
    I wonder if other artists will do the same.

My biggest question is, will it be an "all at once" season, or will they slowly release the episodes?

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    anyone know if TopGear UK on Netflix censored? stupid question I know, but some shows use censoring for comedic effect..

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    They used Duel of the Fates for James' first shindig with the Bugatti Veyron.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    The most used album I noticed on there was Supermodified by Amon Tobin. It's in almost every season.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    The most used album I noticed on there was Supermodified by Amon Tobin. It's in almost every season.

As Amon Tobin also did the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack, I think whoever picks the music just has a thing for Tobin.

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular

Is this what I think it is? It looks like what I hope it is...

• Options
    I love how Hammond still can't look tall in that photo no matter how hard he's trying, even with the perspective.

Has there been anything on the "regular" Top Gear casting front?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I love how Hammond still can't look tall in that photo no matter how hard he's trying, even with the perspective.

There was a BBC report earlier today that Chris Evans might be going it alone without cohosts because he doesn't want to fall into the rut of just trying to be Old New Top Gear.

Oh also Stig is staying with the Beeb.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Stig the character? Or Stig the actual person inside the suit? Or both?

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Evans alone would be a mistake.

Clarkson's solo DVD car stuff is sort of weak without the others (they do stand better on their own doing other non-car things like Meet the Neighbors or Man Lab or Engineering Connections), and the TG DVD stuff with just two of the three feel the same way. And that's with the built in goodwill the three have in being established car guys.

Even if it's just random stars of the week doing challenges with him, he needs other people.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

There was a BBC report earlier today that Chris Evans might be going it alone without cohosts because he doesn't want to fall into the rut of just trying to be Old New Top Gear.

Oh also Stig is staying with the Beeb.

Won't matter what BBC does, Top Gear to me, and I'm sure many others, is and will forever be a show about the 3 Idiots Stooges Caballeros Idiots doing idiotic things with cars I can't even dream of sitting in, let alone driving or owning.

And losing the Stig won't be too bad, there's always other racing drivers to tame.

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.