As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Gear

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I really would recommend the podcast if you like the three, they're really good on their feet and not half assing it like they do with more talk show, non car people I've seen them in.

Key points being:
    -no star in a reasonably priced car for TGT
    -no outright car reviews for TGT
    -Jeremy drove a new Aston Martin DB-11 for one of the trips
    -Richard Hammond has a small penis
    -They don't know what a burrito is
    -the reason car auctions are big business in the UK right now is because there's no capital gains on car sales, and this is why you can get blacklisted by Ferrari etc. if you buy a limited edition car only to turn around and sell it for double.

Schadenfreude pops up a bit in the end with regards to TG's state in a little bit of a parallel in that The Man Show also had a cast change when Kimmel left for late night and Carolla went with him and Comedy Central's bigwigs though they just needed dudes to make the show and had Rogan and Stanhope take over and it got cancelled.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Very glad there's no outright car reviews and no SIARPC makes sense even if it offered some of the best moments in the past.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    If it's a season of their adventures, I'm 100% on board. If it's just "here's a million dollar car driving in UAE," I think it'll get stale.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I don't know, if May doesn't review a nurburgring car once in a while and start ranting about how it made everything terrible it'll feel incomplete

• Options
    I'm hoping they still do the comparison reviews from time to time, like they did with the BMW and Golf for instance. Maybe they won't, but they could still make those fit, maybe.

Or maybe it's all cheap cars and supercars.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I really would recommend the podcast if you like the three, they're really good on their feet and not half assing it like they do with more talk show, non car people I've seen them in.

Key points being:
    -the reason car auctions are big business in the UK right now is because there's no capital gains on car sales, and this is why you can get blacklisted by Ferrari etc. if you buy a limited edition car only to turn around and sell it for double.

Schadenfreude pops up a bit in the end with regards to TG's state in a little bit of a parallel in that The Man Show also had a cast change when Kimmel left for late night and Carolla went with him and Comedy Central's bigwigs though they just needed dudes to make the show and had Rogan and Stanhope take over and it got cancelled.

Also Rogan is a giant fucking transphobe so that likely didnt help

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Key points being:

I don't think that would have any effect on people who watch the man show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Key points being:

I don't think that really affected man show viewership but i may be wrong.

Edit: Oh, sugar plums!

Six on
  • Options
    Six wrote: »

Key points being:

Might as well change your name to James May bro.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Preacher wrote: »

Key points being:

Oh, cock.

Edit: and I can't believe I didn't think to do that the first time.

Six on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Key points being:

I don't think that would have any effect on people who watch the man show.

I remember finding that show funny with Kimmel and Carolla but it was also when I was much much younger and don't recall much content from it. Had no idea they even kept it going after the main two left.

Might actually try to catch TGT, the clips I've seen have been great and I enjoyed a Top Gear here and there, even knowing very little about cars.

• Options
    The clip where Hammond asks which arm May broke killed me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Key points being:

Oh, cock.

Edit: and I can't believe I didn't think to do that the first time.

I'll always cherish the first time I saw this plane:
    5101.jpg

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

I really hope the series is not littered with references to the BBC and how they were "betrayed". The guy assaulted a man for petes sake. If it wasn't for his fame and this weird cult of personalty that surrounds the three of them then Mr Clarkson would have been prosecuted, not given another show.

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »

I really hope the series is not littered with references to the BBC and how they were "betrayed". The guy assaulted a man for petes sake. If it wasn't for his fame and this weird cult of personalty that surrounds the three of them then Mr Clarkson would have been prosecuted, not given another show.

I'm pretty sure they don't give a fuck about the BBC anymore since they can do whatever they want with a huge budget.

And man if what Clarkson did angers you, never watch a Sean Penn movie.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Sorry, forgot this was the internet for a moment. Carry on.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    No need to get snippy, I'm sure if there was still a beef they'd have mentioned something on the podcast.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    oh, they did confirm it will be in 4K, so yay, finally have something to put the new TV through the ringer with.

• Options
    edited October 2016

I'm pretty sure they don't give a fuck about the BBC anymore since they can do whatever they want with a huge budget.

And man if what Clarkson did angers you, never watch a Sean Penn movie.

Nobody likes working for the BBC. Thats why the production side have been trying to make an independent studio so their properties can actually make money they can keep.

I expect a few jokes but thats about it.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It's not like they were short on BBC jokes while they were at the BBC.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    And I am pretty sure that Clarkson settled that assault charge, so it was handled as much as pretty much any assault charge is.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    There were no criminal charges, it was a civil suit.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Watched the Middle East special again last night. It is so, so weird to watch now. It was filmed right before the Syrian war kicked off, and ISIS was not yet a thing. It honestly feels like it's from another world.

And that desert scenery as seen in northern Iraq and through Syria isn't something I can easily tire of. Damascus too looked amazing, and you get to see Palmyra before so much of it was destroyed. Couple all that with the cars of choice being cheap two-seater sports cars (something I'm particularly fond of, having had two cars of that ilk in my time and eyeing up a potential third) and it's definitely one of my favourite specials.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Aww, I read that as "Middle Earth" special somehow and now I'm disappointed. Forever.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Watched the Middle East special again last night. It is so, so weird to watch now. It was filmed right before the Syrian war kicked off, and ISIS was not yet a thing. It honestly feels like it's from another world.

And that desert scenery as seen in northern Iraq and through Syria isn't something I can easily tire of. Damascus too looked amazing, and you get to see Palmyra before so much of it was destroyed. Couple all that with the cars of choice being cheap two-seater sports cars (something I'm particularly fond of, having had two cars of that ilk in my time and eyeing up a potential third) and it's definitely one of my favourite specials.

This is the one where the new Stig was born at the end, right?

I hadn't thought about that one in a while and definitely not the way you framed it. Going to watch it asap.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

The guy got in a row with a friend after a stressful day. Not defending it, but its not like he went up to a total stranger and punched them in the dick then kicked their ribs as they laid in the street, which is what "He assaulted a man for petes sake!" elicits to the uninformed.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2016
    Buttcleft wrote: »

The guy got in a row with a friend after a stressful day. Not defending it, but its not like he went up to a total stranger and punched them in the dick then kicked their ribs as they laid in the street, which is what "He assaulted a man for petes sake!" elicits to the uninformed.

He punched an employee who was on the clock. This is one of the worst misrepresentations I think I've seen of the issue. I feel like you're about sentence away from calling it "locker room talk."

A duck! on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Listening to the Corolla bit, they talk about the BBC and all three of them say they still have a decent relationship with them. So I imagine it won't be a big thing aside from a joke or two.

I was dreading not being able to see this not having Amazon Prime, but I just now saw that Amazon now offers Prime with a monthly subscription. I could never justify dropping $100 at a time for Prime, but I'll gladly pay $11 a month for a few months until TGT is done for the year.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Thats how they get you, man!

Alternately, little known program Amazon offers: you can have up to 4 people in your "family" connected to your Prime subscription, with their own logins, credit card details, wishlist, and so forth.

So if you know someone who has Prime and is willing to share......

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Jesus, it's impossible to find stuff on Amazon Japan for Prime Video. No wonder I never use it.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Prime video has a godawful interface even in the US.

• Options
    Prime Video is awful in how it's organized and how you use it, and it's so frustrating because Netflix is right there! I imagine it's because they're tying free streaming with paid streaming with paid physical items all together in their framework but still. I dread going to Amazon Video for anything, content aside.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Prime video has a godawful interface even in the US.

It's better on a Kindle Fire, but not by much.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Prime Video is awful in how it's organized and how you use it, and it's so frustrating because Netflix is right there! I imagine it's because they're tying free streaming with paid streaming with paid physical items all together in their framework but still. I dread going to Amazon Video for anything, content aside.

They dont even have that much stuff! They have to have like all 7 seasons of a show to look fuller. Its so weird.

• Options
    "I'd like to start watching this show I heard about. Let me find it, oh there it is, suggested for me!

"Wait what the hell? Is this season 3?

"Wait what how do I go start at the beginning?"

Fuckers.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    They still have a concept of objects applied to their streaming service.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    After looking into it, my fear of Amazon Japan not having their Originals there is unfounded. They just don't have some of them ("The Man in the High Castle" chief among them, for probably obvious and stupid reasons) or they are not day 1 releases.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

It's not unlike trying to shop on Amazon. Have you ever tried to piece together a computer there? Nothing is organized.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    so did the little prime markers disappear from free content for anyone else recently?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    so did the little prime markers disappear from free content for anyone else recently?

No; did your Prime lapse?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.