As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Car speaker is out : halp

mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I drive a honda insight. They only have two speakers and the right one stopped working today. way way lame.

Any suggestions on things to check?

You can buy and have new speakers installed at best buy right?

Any suggestions on brands 2 for two solid great quality speakers? (i assume they come in pairs)

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
mojojoeo on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anything pioneer, sony, panasonic or JBL will be a good bet. If youre not a big audiophile, and youve just got a stock deck in your car, go with something in the 80-140 dollar range. Theyll sound good.

Alternatively, if you dont mind waiting, read the flyers and wait until something nice goes on sale. I got a set of 180 dollar Infinity speakers for 40 bucks a few months ago.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10063658&catid=11043&logon=&langid=EN&test%5Fcookie=1

These ones... i recommend them, especially if youre only going to have 2 speakers. They have a really rich sound.

Oh yeah, and best buy or futureshop or circuit city will install them, but if your wiring somehow got fucked up theyre probably going to charge you extra to run new wires from your deck to the door. Most of the installation costs only factor in remove and replace, which is terribly simple and takes usually less than 20 minutes if everything goes well. If they need to run new speaker cable, especially on a honda (The interiors on all hondas are a pain in the ass to take out) theyre most likely going to want to charge you extra labor.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There should be a plastic grill that covers the speaker. If you remove that (usually either just held in with clips or screws) you should see the mounting screws for the speaker. Remove that and make sure the wires are plugged in correctly.

If they are... replacement speakers are cheap. Measure the ones you have, go to Best Buy/Circuit City, buy a new pair for $50 or so. Installing them yourself is not a big job at all, the process is literally 5 minutes per speaker or less.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chances are that the wires that go into the door have snapped at the hinge of the door from opening and closing the door and the speaker isn't blown.

If you want to make sure it's the speaker that's broken pop the speaker up connect one side up to a 1.5 volt battery and just tap the other wire against the other end of the battery you should hear some staticy poping noises if it is still working.

Blake T on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    Chances are that the wires that go into the door have snapped at the hinge of the door from opening and closing the door and the speaker isn't blown.

Being a relatively new car, I'd be surprised if this is the case. Unless there's like some collision damage or something.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions.

If I find its the speakers via the battery test, ill try and replace them myself.

My favorite forum comes through again.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."