As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Rogues: Theatricality and deception are powerful agents

• Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »
    so, i finally hit 70. time to PvP my ass off.

wooooo

when you get bored of that you can run me through ramps :U
    who are you

Jimsuya

if a name has jim in it it's probably me

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    nm.. probably misinterpreted that.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Just went home on my lunch and got my sword, respecced, put simply, I tore shit up in AB and AV. It was downright ridiculous son.

We ended up 5-capping, and I was at the Stables when the inevitable Alliance zerg came down from their graveyard, it is there I got to experience the true exaltation of popping SnD - Evasion - and Blade Flurry all at the same time.

The only downside? Hard to get used to the slower CP gen, so I have to be a lot pickier with my finishers. Other than that, it is the most fun i've ever had with a Rogue build since I've started playing the game.

Hemo generates combo points slower than mutiliate?(You're hemo right?)

I assume he is refering to the loss of Relentless Strikes and Ruthlesness in Assas (energy and combos on finishers)

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I've got a 16 Blood Elf Rogue, and...I dunno...and I doing something wrong? I just don't find it very fun. I don't seem to kill stuff very fast, and it just seems to be the opening is pretty much the only part that goes well. Even then, it's slow and boring (Oh look at that, the spider turned to stare at me, now I have to widen my arc around it to open with 20 extra damage!) and when I DO finally get into combat, it feels so...slow. Just mashing Sinister Strike and waiting for Eviscerate, or if it's a long fight then Slice'n'Dice.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Am I just shy of the "magic level" when it all becomes worth it and I become the unstoppable killing machine of lore? Or am I pretty much going to be punching my nuts in till 70 when I finally am able to DO something other than spam "1" (hell, even as a mage I did more than this...)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rogues are entirely dependant on weapons for being any good, at least at lower levels, and even then, you seem to go from amazing to meh back to amazing every few levels.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah getting Vanish, Cheap Shot, Kidney Shot etc... and things get good (mid 20's for them all?) then around the 40's its boring cos you don't get anything good until 60+ when you get new tricks.

I enourage people to spec Hemo to lvl now, my mate has a 46 Rogue and is loving it now you dont need a 2.9 speed wep to make it viable, leveling with Cheat Death and so forth ftw.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    26 was the magic number for rogues for me.

so, I've been getting about 9k honor a day. first thing I'm spending it on, no question, is that god damn PvP trinket. Then I just withhold it all. I should be able to get more than 9k today - that damn patch with gladiator stuff buyable for honor cannot come fast enough.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Just went home on my lunch and got my sword, respecced, put simply, I tore shit up in AB and AV. It was downright ridiculous son.

We ended up 5-capping, and I was at the Stables when the inevitable Alliance zerg came down from their graveyard, it is there I got to experience the true exaltation of popping SnD - Evasion - and Blade Flurry all at the same time.

The only downside? Hard to get used to the slower CP gen, so I have to be a lot pickier with my finishers. Other than that, it is the most fun i've ever had with a Rogue build since I've started playing the game.

Hemo generates combo points slower than mutiliate?(You're hemo right?)

Yes, Mutilate costs more energy, but it is a guaranteed 2 CP's, 3 on a Crit. With relentless strikes and ruthlessness, many times you find yourself at 4 CP's mere seconds after your last finisher, meaning you have more CP's than you know what to do with. It was easily the quickest CP genning build I've ever played, and the only thing that could maybe keep up with it would be a 31,0,30 type build with Hemo and Seal Fate.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    Rogues are entirely dependant on weapons for being any good. (aside from player skill of course)

Fixed.

This is true at level 1, at level 10, 60, 70, whatever. A rogue's weapons are the most important pieces of gear they will ever own. There is almost no length that can be reasonably gone that is too far to keep them up to date, particularly your mainhand.

S2 weapons are the thing to have, and any fresh 70 rogue would do well to start arena'ing, even if just 10 'throw away' matches per week with a friend. Points are points, and eventually you will have the Mainhand and Offhand of your choice. If you're god's gift to rogue PVP'ing and sprint up to a 1900+ rating with ease, save up for the S3's in the coming weeks. If you're not, don't sweat it, the S2's are really damned awesome, and as of Tuesday will cost less than they do now.

In other news, I just got an incredible OH dagger last night, which would compliment the MH I picked up a week or two ago nicely. I'm tempted to give combat daggers a shot, as the OH is a 1.4 speed, and thus (I believe) not exactly top notch for a solid mutilate build. I just like combat a lot in general anyway, but with the option of putting 5 points into subtlety, I'm unsure how to get 41 into Combat AND get everything I want in Assassination AND get 5/5 in Subtlety. I know I have to leave a pair of points out somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

I suspect I need to start perusing the EJ rogue thread until my eyes bleed.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Meh, slow offhands for Mutilate are more about preference than anything. The DPS loss from a slow OH is so negligible it almost isn't worth mentioning. You will land bigger Mutilates, but your poison application will drop a bit as well.

If you really want to keep that top DPS tier, yeah you will need to spec Combat Daggers, but if you get a chance, I would say give Combat Mutilate a shot. You have some great DPS output, and the build is about 10,000 times more fun than Combat Daggers which IMO is the slowest most boring build ever conceived.

Edit: Apparently I can't spell "negligible".

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Meh, slow offhands for Mutilate are more about preference than anything. The DPS loss from a slow OH is so negligable it almost isn't worth mentioning. You will land bigger Mutilates, but your poison application will drop a bit as well.

If you really want to keep that top DPS tier, yeah you will need to spec Combat Daggers, but if you get a chance, I would say give Combat Mutilate a shot. You have some great DPS output, and the build is about 10,000 times more fun than Combat Daggers which IMO is the slowest most boring build ever conceived.

:!:

It pains me when people lump Combat Swords etc... in with CD on the boring meter, only potency lifts it up a little, I have no idea how people PVP with it, I see raiding guild rogues in 1900+ teams with Combat Daggers, they either respec or are being acrried by other guildys (playing the min matches in a good team)

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

tis very nice for PVP, the only thing I would lose is Ghostly Strike, but I cant see where else it may put the point (1 in wep ex?) so meh. GS is naff all use now Hemo has been normalized imho.

I tried Shadowstep the other day for laughs...it's not as good as I hoped it would be tbh but Cheat Death is so brokenly godly right now. I wish they would pop a little 1 sec stun on ShS just to make sure we dont step into an out of range target (so intercept but a smaller stun I guess)

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    I tried Shadowstep the other day for laughs...it's not as good as I hoped it would be tbh but Cheat Death is so brokenly godly right now. I wish they would pop a little 1 sec stun on ShS just to make sure we dont step into an out of range target (so intercept but a smaller stun I guess)

Considering we have to spec for it, and every single warrior gets intercept, I've always thought this would be a reasonable change.

They could even put it on CS's stun DR (KS's would probably be too limiting) to keep it from becomming too broken in terms of enhancing stunlock.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    amg buff to Ambush on the PTR

250%->275% damage

shadowstep is the new world imo

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bah to that i say

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I just really want them to bone up and either make Shadowstep vanilla or overhaul the Subtlety tree to the "cool shit" tree. If I'm throwing away my viability, I should get more than one or two incredible tricks (Cheat Death, Shadowstep). Stick Fleet-Footed in there, at least. And I still insist Rogues need a JUMP MOAR talent.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think Fleet Footed is something that should be shunted nearer the top to be honest. Running faster than other classes is something I feel should be a pretty base thing for rogues.

For some bizzare reason they buffed druids ambush as well, as if 4k+ crits weren't quite good enough.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    subtlety is already the cool shit tree

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    most of the cool shit is useless though

I mean what the shit does Enveloping Shadows REALLY do

it's like 8% at max, right? 8% chance to effectively 'resist' an AoE spell

just... reduce the cooldown on Cloak or something instead

EDIT: Okay so it's 15% at max. WHATEVER. Deep Subtlety has three different abilities that just increase damage output, and that's unnecessary. <.<

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I liked enveloping shadows, it's pretty handy, especially with the meta that has +5% snare and root resist.

It is too far down the tree though.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Subtlety tree is sort of top-heavy. If I wanted Shadowstep, I'd find it really hard to be 41 instead of 43 just because there's so much stuff at the end that I want. In the beginning there's lots of shit I could take or leave, but curse these prerequisites.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sub has always had bad end talents too. Premeditation, cool? Yes. 31 point talent? Fuck no.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The sub tree is the tree that for me has allot of talents that seem kind of iffy
    Ghostly strike is ok but not really great. Deadliness with going that far into the tree I felt that I got more ap by going into the combat or assassination trees then the sub one. Cheat Death is ok I have taken it and tired it out allot and every time I keep telling myself that it's cool but it's really not worth getting that far down into the tree and sacrificing so much for that chance to live a few seconds longer

Even though my night elf and blood elf rouges are combat/sub. My troll is assassination/combat.
    I am going to try out hemo on my blood elf when I level to see how I like it since my night elf has a few points floating around in other talents

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    wait, wouldn't Cheat Death completely trivialize the Prince fight

hah

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    wait, wouldn't Cheat Death completely trivialize the Prince fight

hah

The only time the prince screwed me over was due to a frame rate change
    I was enfeebled by him on running out the frame rate lag hits and in the time it came back I was squashed by an infernal and hit by his shadow nova
    So I highly doubt cheat death would have saved me with this

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, if you had Cheat Death in your spec and there were no Infernals, you would always proc Cheat off of Shadow Nova and then the internal cooldown would have reset by the time he pulled that trick again.

Also,

Q: Did you know that it's possible to push your avoidance over 100% without burning any cooldowns? It's true! All you need is a Combat/Deep Subtlety spec, Heavy Clefthoof Leggings with all +8DEF gems and a Vindicator's Armor Kit, Heavy Clefthoof Vest with all +8DEF gems and a Vindicator's Armor Kit, Heavy Clefthoof Boots with all +8DEF gems and a Vindicator's Armor Kit, Gloves of Dextrous Manipulation with all +8DEF gems and a Vindicator's Armor Kit, Merciless Gladiator's Leather Spaulders with all +8DEF gems and the tier 2 Aldor/Scryer tanking shoulder enchant, Master Assassin Wristwraps with a +8DEF gem and enchanted with Major Defense, Dunewind Sash with all +8DEF gems, an Elementium Band of the Sentry, a Delicate Eternium Ring, the Devilshark Cape enchanted with Greater Agility, Necklace of the Juggernaut, Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch, Brooch of the Immortal King (good luck finding a group to kill Terokk), the Merciless Gladiator's Helm with a +8DEF gem and whatever meta of your choice and also the Keepers of Time glyph, an Elixir of Major Agility up at all times, and a Sun Eater equipped somewhere, and both of your weapons enchanted with Mongoose because at least one of the procs has to be up in order for you to push white hits, crits, and crushing blows all off the table.

This works perfectly well for a level 70 enemy regardless of your other weapon (probably your mainhand since a Rogue would actually want to offhand the Sun Eater) and ranged slot. Against a level 71 or 72, you need to stack avoidance or +AGI in both of those slots, and probably also upgrade some of the slots (I chose all items that were easily available to me personally, if you are currently a raider you can get items which are marginally better).

Against a raid boss, unfortunately, you can't push crushing blows off of the table due to the fact you have so much contribution from raw defense (which is capped vis-a-vis crushing blows), so at some point you will receive a crushing blow (but ironically, rarely if ever a white hit or crit) and be instagibbed because your class lacks the mitigation or hit points to survive.

Also, any boss or trash which performs any sort of stun will instagib you, as well as any that uses an excessive amount of special abilities that ignore the attack table and you are unable to mitigate with healer + Cloak of Shadows.

Also, you will never, ever, ever be able to hold aggro. Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Oh, right, the reason why this is cute-- theoretically, you could solo a large number of the Outlands instance bosses.

EDIT 2: Also, I just realized that because Cheat Death is stupid good now, you would not get instagibbed in most situations but would survive because the duration of the stun is probably shorter than the 4 seconds or so from the killing blow through the end of the buff. Then, you would likely get stunned again before the internal one minute cooldown was up and die. Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wouldnt this let you fight regular mobs in the world and never take melee damage?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, but that doesn't matter very much when you take into account the fact most Rogues even just starting to pick up their first epics can stunlock any single non-elite from 100 to 0 without even blowing cooldowns, or kill it without taking any aggregate damage. I mean, when I farm presently, I rarely if ever have to bandage-- only after I decide to take on 3 or 4 mobs at once. :P

It really is just a cute trick-- it lets you do a handful of things which are eminently impressive, but it would make most of your day-to-day tasks much more difficult. You don't pick up all that much more stamina (around 8k unbuffed, by my guesstimate), and you would only be doing probably ... 400DPS or so? Even that seems generous. Probably more like 300-350. That's less than half of what I do presently. D:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    About to ding 65, but my spec is way off right now (as is my gear, etc). Mainly because I haven't played for close to a year.

I'm thinking of this for a build so far. As of right now I have a dagger MH and a sword OH. (I know, I know). The one problem I'm seeing so far is that I don't have points in Imp. Ambush. So far what I've decided to go for is applying all sorts of poisons to my victim and letting the poison do the work along with all the stabby.

I'd also be interested in some sort of build that gives me more stun control, though I'm not sure. It's a huge departure from how I used to play (mostly SS spam :| ), but, I haven't played for so long that I can probably re-train myself.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That build is fine, check wowhead for the nearest available dagger for your offhand and then respec to get mutilate.

Any non-caster dagger will do too, since mutilate benefits from a slow dagger in the offhand. So grab a dagger, respec to something like this http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fMe0oEgoVzVohfVb0V (fill up the 41 points in assassination first) and then flip out and kill shit.

Mutilate gives you lots of control because you generate CPs lightning fast, it's easy to whack out a 5 point KS when you need it

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From what I understand, it was only Pick Pocketed by technicality. The guy pick pocketed a lockbox from a level 70 blood elf, and it had the spinesever inside.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    That build is fine, check wowhead for the nearest available dagger for your offhand and then respec to get mutilate.

Any non-caster dagger will do too, since mutilate benefits from a slow dagger in the offhand. So grab a dagger, respec to something like this http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=fMe0oEgoVzVohfVb0V (fill up the 41 points in assassination first) and then flip out and kill shit.

Mutilate gives you lots of control because you generate CPs lightning fast, it's easy to whack out a 5 point KS when you need it

For the above build, or maybe this one what would the fight go, move wise? I've always stayed away from things like CB since I never bothered doing anything other than Ambush>SS>SS>Gouge>BS.
    God I'm such a nub :oops: Sorry

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    doh

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes but you should really take the points out of Imp Backstab and get something else, like Fleet Footed or Quick Recovery.

You won't be using backstab when you have Mutilate.

Also you shouldn't bother with Imp SS because again, you won't use SS when you have Mutilate. If you really can't get behind your opponent for some reason then you'll have Shiv to spam instead. Imp SnD is also pretty vital for instances and raids, cause SnD should be up all the time.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I think I'd like another run at my now 30 rogue.
    I had him twinked "ok" for the 29 bracket, got bored of 1 shot ambushing people, and destroying sword rogues, so lvl'd him out, also once BC launched I didn't feel like trying to keep up with the insane new enchantments you could get, like the 30sta to legs etc. (Not sure if you can still twink with those or not, but I know you could when they first came out)

Anyway I tried to respec to a SS build for lvling but still using those daggers I had I haven't been successful.

Anyone recomend a build for a lvl 30 rogue, preferably for swords, but also I wouldn't mind picking up inmproved sap for when I do groups.

I would armory link, but it's full of error tonight.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I went 21/0/40 for Arena with Season 3 in mind.

On Tuesday I'll get 2 pieces of S1 with Honor, and 2 pieces of Season 3 with points. I'm plopping tons of agility into the sockets, and my AP will be ridiculous. I currently have mongoosed S2 swords.

Did I mention my 2vs2 partner was another Rogue? :D

Our games typically hinge on the other team having a clothie. If there's a clothie, we destroy it about instantly. My partner is hardcore ambush+shadowstep spec, and we've been hanging around the 1800-1850 rating. Keep in mind that this is with me in crappy gear(Night Watchman, some blues, ~120 resil).

Barring a very fast paladin, we typically win most matches against teams with any other type of healer. If it's a resto druid, their partner gets sapped, they get a cheapshot+CB+eviscerate+shstep-ambush-vanish-ambush. If it survives, we blind him. If his partner trinkets the sap and hassles us, we blind him. We'll wait and re-enter stealth, or if the Druid is very low, just destroy him as we blind the partner.

If we're against a priest/paladin + non-warrior, we'll sap and blind the priest as we kill his partner. We coordinate our kicks+gouges+kidneys pretty well, and it's not uncommon to see us bashing on a hunter, popping sprint to the trinketed priest, vanishing and garroting, then jumping back onto the hunter. And then the partner jumps out with the same, or a gouge to the face.

Or one of us gets double-pom-pyro'd or we face a paladin+warrior team and we just begin to cry.

It's definitely not the best team, but I can't imagine a team that's more fun.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just need a checkup on my character.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malfurion&n=Cerys

I know I still need the helm, cloak, and shoulders out of Kara. I'm planning on buying the Exalted rep bow from Thrallmar for my ranged. I'm also going to replace my Edgewalker with the new ZA "badge bought" boots. My guild is just a tightly knit group of friends running 10-mans and we're getting ready to go into ZA.

What I'm wondering mostly I guess is, how's my spec and hit/crit/AP?

Esh on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so i picked up 2 really awesome BoE daggers on my pally for my rogue when she hits 42. whats a good dagger spec?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    EWom wrote: »
    So I think I'd like another run at my now 30 rogue.
    I had him twinked "ok" for the 29 bracket, got bored of 1 shot ambushing people, and destroying sword rogues, so lvl'd him out, also once BC launched I didn't feel like trying to keep up with the insane new enchantments you could get, like the 30sta to legs etc. (Not sure if you can still twink with those or not, but I know you could when they first came out)

Anyway I tried to respec to a SS build for lvling but still using those daggers I had I haven't been successful.

Anyone recomend a build for a lvl 30 rogue, preferably for swords, but also I wouldn't mind picking up inmproved sap for when I do groups.

I would armory link, but it's full of error tonight.

Here are the two I would suggest, Hemo being the more fun of the two. At this stage of your character though, the combat tree would be a lot stronger of a tree to start in.
    0,0,21 Fun, but lack of DW Spec hurts your output at this level.
    0,21,0 Riposte is key here, it's an amazing talent for PvE, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

For either of those, at 31 I would go ahead and drop a point into either Preperation for Sub, or Blade Flurry in Combat, and then get Malice in the assassination tree from level 32+

Wavechaser on
This discussion has been closed.