As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW on a Macbook?

Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I ask this here as It's the only PC game I play right now, but if I was to "go Mac" and get a sexy little black Macbook with the optional extra of 4gig of ram and as much horsepower as it can have out of the box, how will WoW run on it? I have never owned a Mac and I hear the macbook (not the pro ofc) has limited Graphical capabilitys?

Anyone can enlighten me on this before I shell out? I may invest in a 22" screen for it for when it's docked at home.

/mac noob

Thanks in advance

Venkman90 on

• Options
    TIE FighterTIE Fighter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No.

I have a first gen Macbook, and the fact that it has integrated graphics means that WoW will run, but it will run like ass. Think one frame per 2-3 seconds in Shattrath. Outside the cities, it kinda runs, but it's basically less effort to get a second job, save up a couple of thousand bucks, and get a new computer than it is to run WoW on a Macbook.

On a Pro, though, it'd run acceptably. That's the difference an actual graphics card makes.

TIE Fighter on
  • Options
    TIE FighterTIE Fighter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm. Looking at the Apple website, it seems like it's no longer a GMA 950 in there, it's a GMA X3100. From what I've heard, those are a fuckload better. I wouldn't know, though.

TIE Fighter on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    WoW runs on a macbook. I raid with it. The resolution is down, but not awful. The FPS can be really low at crazy places like Shatt, but it's playable. The new X1300 chips are sposed to provide a nice boost though, especially because they consume more of the shared memory.

The MBPro will get like 40-60 FPS, the regular macbook runs between 7-25.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    A few years back my buddy raided MC on an iBook of the time. Kinda crappy framerate in raids, but I can't imagine it has gotten worse since then.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    WoW runs on a macbook. I raid with it. The resolution is down, but not awful. The FPS can be really low at crazy places like Shatt, but it's playable. The new X1300 chips are sposed to provide a nice boost though, especially because they consume more of the shared memory.

The MBPro will get like 40-60 FPS, the regular macbook runs between 7-25.

To be honest I tend to get around 20 now on my Dual Core Acer laptop with 1gig of ram and a reasnoable ATI card so that's not a huge issue, I could do with seeing it in action on this new one with the X1300 I guess.

My fault for being a whore for aesthetics

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I play WoW exclusively on a Powerbook. The framerates aren't to die for, but if you turn down the graphic settings, one can more than easily raid with it. I'm not sure how much better or worse a Macbook is by comparison, but if a two-year old powerbook can play it passibly well, I'm fairly sure a brand-new macbook is up to the task.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The usual cause for low FPS tends to be ram, but as I said above I would be getting the 4gig version if possible, I am just unsure of how much difference this would make if the graphics processing was a hamster wheel

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    WoW can be kind of dumb on what it caches, so it often makes huge cache misses that kill your framerate for a little while. A good hard drive is just as important as a lot of RAM, so you should see what you can do about getting a better HD.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was playing WoW on this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB22White/

Even with the integrated graphics, WoW ran fine. No framerate issues whatsoever.

Yall on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mac... limited graphics capabilities?

I'm a PC user, and will never switch to Mac, but ask any graphic designer what they use and they will tell you Mac. Their capabilities in that department are far beyond that of PC's.

If you can use their OS and file system without tearing your hair out, i'd say go for it. They are overpriced, but they are really well built, and I would die for one of those stainless steel (G4?) cases.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On my dad's shitty old iBook(7 years old) ran WoW at acceptable frames(pre-BC, 17fps). If what wikipedia says is true, and you have a C2D 2.6ghz, 4gb of ram, and an 8600M, you should be running WoW like a greased cat that's been set on fire. Hell, most of those parts weren't even commercially available when the game was released.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Just FYI, the black ones are a ripoff. :P

Medopine on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How come whenever someone asks a Mac question, do the Mac haters feel the need to stick their head in and comment? Seriously, it gets old.

Anyways, my wife has a gen 1/rev 1 MacBook Pro, with the ATI x1300 in it and original Core Duo (Yonah core) in it, and it runs WoW fine. Your MacBook with better components should do fine.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    How come whenever someone asks a Mac question, do the Mac haters feel the need to stick their head in and comment? Seriously, it gets old.

If that was directed at me: I meant shitty as in 'He had a ton of shit loaded on it', not shitty because it was manufactured by Apple. If it wasn't directed to me: zomg macs suck

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i have a core duo 2 macbook with 1 gig of ram and it runs wow fine

humble on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Anyways, my wife has a gen 1/rev 1 MacBook Pro, with the ATI x1300 in it and original Core Duo (Yonah core) in it, and it runs WoW fine. Your MacBook with better components should do fine.

I own a Mac and play WoW on it, and it works just fine. I ain't no Mac hater. But I do think black Machbooks are stupid; you're effectively paying hundreds of dollars for the paint job. Dumb.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

How come Mac Fanboys get so defensive? I wasn't dissing on Mac, I was actually praising their superior graphics capabilities even though I am a pc user.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    They are overpriced

Compare the specs of a MacPro to an equally bad ass Dell and you'll more often than not find that the Dell is more expensive.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »

I own a Mac and play WoW on it, and it works just fine. I ain't no Mac hater. But I do think black Machbooks are stupid; you're effectively paying hundreds of dollars for the paint job. Dumb.

Dumb? yes

Pretty? yes

Im sold Im afraid

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well as long as you know it and accept it, then go for it.

:P

Medopine on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just noticed this in the patch notes
    The latest patch of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade shows a benefit on today's popular multicore processors like the Intel(r) Core(tm)2 Duo processor family. The enhanced patch has demonstrated higher frame rates by spreading the work across both processor cores.

Macbooks run on dual intel cores... I'll give wow a spin when I can and report back to you.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The latest patch of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade shows a benefit on today's popular multicore processors like the Intel(r) Core(tm)2 Duo processor family. The enhanced patch has demonstrated higher frame rates by spreading the work across both processor cores.

Macbooks run on dual intel cores... I'll give wow a spin when I can and report back to you.

No love for my quad-core? /cry

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Cool thanks 8-)

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Carnarvon wrote: »

No love for my quad-core? /cry

I'm sure your quad-core gets love as well, they were using the above as examples of multi-core processors. Since the concept of dual and quad core is pretty much the same, i'm sure you will get the benefits.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've noticed a difference... it runs about the same, but the patch reverted my graphics settings to their normal state. So if I turn the graphics back down it should run a lot smoother.

Casual Eddy on