As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Fishing interrupted by carp

MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin techRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!!
(stories of bloodshed and pressure plates)

Get it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Extract the files from the zip into the folder of your choice, then run dwarfort.exe. Simple!

A tutorial is available here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Your_first_fortress
And here's another: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Quickstart_guide

Welcome to the mountainhome of the dwarves! Starting out with a hardy band of seven pioneers, you will be beset on all sides by the threat of starvation, exposure, rampant idiocy, inexperience, tantrums, monkey attacks, hostile goblins, kleptomaniacal kobolds, accidental drownings, those goddamn hippy elves, being set on fire, upper class nobles that will make lives hell for your peasantry, and the mortal enemies of the dwarves, elephants. ELEPHANTS! OH GOD THEY'RE IN THE FORTRESS!

So what's Dwarf Fortress? It's a rather bizarre little roguelike/ fantasy world generator / colony management sim hybrid. With lots of dead dwarves guaranteed.

DFascii.jpg
So you start out with a tiny band of 7 dwarves, a few wagons, mules, horses, and enough supplies to make sure you don't starve... maybe.
With a little luck (and if those goddamn monkeys dont steal all your food off the wagon again), your fortress will make it past the first winter. Or more likely it will collapse and you'll start up a new fortress, avoiding the mistakes of the first.

...before it all ends in a tide of blood and dwarf parts

And then you start AGAIN!

The ever helpful Dwarf Fortress wiki
The previous G&T DF thread
And the SA DF thread, the Goons have plenty of DF chatter too.
And of course THE EPIC SAGA OF BOATMURDERED which is a must-read.

FAQ
AAAAA LETTERS EVERYWHERE OH GOD HOW DO I DO STUFF?!
A few keys will come up a lot. Pressing these keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys. PROTIP: use the keypad to move the cursor around- it's more comfortable.

Q - assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
T - much like Q, but works for sTructures. Use this when you want to examine/destroy a structure that is not a workshop. Also useful for peeking at the contents of a workshop to see how cluttered it is.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. Pressing enter examines the object in greater detail (if any).
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.

ALSO!
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
U - displays a list of all units on the map, along with current job. Useful for finding idlers and wild animals
< and > - Change the levevel displayed by one (up and down, respectively). Since you'll be using these a lot, it might be wise to remap the keys (I use / and * on the keypad). To do this, press ESC and use the "Key Bindings" option ("move/view cursor up (Z)" and "down (Z)" )

I built a bridge, but it looked ugly so I demolished it. The new one never gets built because of pathing errors!
Common mistake. Never cut off the fortress. The dwarf builders are trying to get to material/worksites on the other side of the river/chasm, but cant because there's no bridge anymore. Avoid this by always having spare bridges. If this has already happened, build stone blocks at your masonry workshop and use those to build your new bridge, ensuring that you're using accessible materials.

They sent a diplomat from the mountainhomes and he's killing all my dorfs! What kind of a diplomat is he?!
Aye, the outpost liaison who comes with the dwarven caravan is a delicate fellow. When he arrives, ensure that your outpost leader (use the N key to find him) has all jobs turned off, so that he has the time to meet the diplomat. Otherwise the poor guy will feel unaccepted and get miserable/insane/berserk.

It took me ages to figure out farming in the previous version. Now what?!
Now you can just farm to your heart's content over any soil/sand tile, with no need of irrigation. (To mine on rock tiles use the good old floodgate system).

How do I change the game resolution/settings/colours/etc?
In the data/init directory is init.txt, a well documented file which contains all sorts of DF settings.

Can I run this on a Mac?
User Sleep reports that Crossover works fine. I've no experience with this though.

I'd play this if only it had graphics
RARRRGH, but if you must, there's replacement tile and object graphics you can use along with install instructions on these pages:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Object_Tilesets
People are also sometimes interested in the tilesets I'm using. You can get a precompiled version here.

This game is running slooooooooow! I thought ASCII graphics don't need a fast PC?
Make sure your starting area is suitably small for your PC. If you're already in the middle of a game, it may also help to turn off weather and/or temperature in the data\init\init.txt file. There is also a possibility you have set an FPS_CAP in the very same file.

What happens if I do this?
Just try it first! It's no fun if we tell you that you would have doomed all your dwarves to a horrible agonizing death beforehand. No fun at all!
Besides, it just means you get to do it better next time.

How do I back up my save game?
A good idea, since the game is only in alpha, and does crash (rarely), but if it does, it can corrupt your entire world.
Make a copy of the data/save directory and keep it somewhere safe. To restore, delete your entire data/save directory and replace it with your copy. NOT DELETING IT FIRST WILL CAUSE ERRORS. For the backing up of save games, you can also go into the init.txt file (\data\init\init.txt) and set
[AUTOSAVE:NONE] to
[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
and
[AUTOBACKUP:NO] to
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
You can make the autosave yearly as well, and making autobackup set to yes will make each autosave a new save instead of overwriting your current one.

(This introduction was edited by SynthOr, Bahamut0 and MD.

Mayday on

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For the backing up of save games, you can go into the init.txt file (\data\init\init.txt) and set the
    [AUTOSAVE:NONE] to
    [AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]

and
    [AUTOBACKUP:NO] to
    [AUTOBACKUP:YES]

You can make the autosave yearly as well, and making autobackup set to yes will make each autosave a new save instead of overwriting your current one.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, SoaL, I included that.
    Also, Valkun's guide seems kinda outdated now. Should I delete it?

Mayday on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    Thanks, SoaL, I included that.
    Also, Valkun's guide seems kinda outdated now. Should I delete it?

Probably. Didn't a PA'er post a nice starting guide for the new version on the wiki? You already link to it near the top of the post. The rest of it looks very informative, though, nice OP.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why not include the U key? It's a good way to center on each dwarf and find idlers.

Not sure I've ever used the T key, but it sounds pretty useful.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Do roads affect anything now? The humans will bring their wagons regardless, but do they speed up wagon rate of travel? These dwarf merchants travelling on foot got no speed bonus from it (half them walked on the road, half off the road).

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes, the roads speed up the wagons, giving you more time to trade.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also as a note to people, don't try to relocate your trade depot while merchants have arrived (like if you're trying to position it closer). They'll walk to where the original was, stand for a bit and then find your new one.

Not that I did this....

Oh my god, do children playfight? Because one of my children is a dabbling wrestler. Or do they join in the frenzy when everyone mobs the baby snatchers.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Say, is there any way to get my workshop slaves, er, crafters, to use the rocks near their shops for their works? It seems that my dwarves tend to prefer rock that was recently dug out instead of all the rocks they walked over getting to that clean, fresh-off-the-pick stone they enjoy.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think stockpiles work in the same fashion, so they'll move then newest stone to the stockpiles before the older stone. So set up a stockpile right by the workshop and see if that helps.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mayday, are you still doing the sprite set or is that on hold now?

wavecutter on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's weird - I planned to install a tileset eventually, but now I've got used to the symbols to the extent that tileset screenshots just seem... wrong.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Couldn't we have upgraded to a screenshot from the current version?

(As far as more constructive comments go, I notice that's also an old SA thread.)

Mith on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow. A kobold thief tries to escape my fortress, and is thoroughly intercepted by four dogs.

In seconds, there's a red-splashed "k" surrounded by bits of refuse. Looking closely, I see (all in separate squares):

Jrochreerbis's left lower leg
    Jrochreerbis's right lower leg
    Jrochreerbis's left lower arm
    Jrochreerbis's right lower arm
    Jrochreerbis's head

With Jrochreerbis's corpse in the middle.

My dogs played a little too rough and ended up drawing and quartering the poor bastard. I know they steal stuff, but damn.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How in the name of all that's holy do I keep dwarves from killing themselves from partying too much? I queue up work, and the slovenly bastards do nothing but announce parties and completely fail to prepare for a coming winter.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    How in the name of all that's holy do I keep dwarves from killing themselves from partying too much? I queue up work, and the slovenly bastards do nothing but announce parties and completely fail to prepare for a coming winter.

Destroy their meeting places. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I never realized it was possible, but I got absolutely no immigrants my first year. I'm heading into late winter with Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Snow White being that single elephant across the river.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ordinary kobold thieves are nothing. A basic no-stat, no-skill dwarf converted to Recruit can easily wrestle a kobold thief to death without injury.

For parties you can try undesignating meeting areas (including the option on your main dining room).

So in Sinewlantern's second summer, a human caravan shows up. Sinewlantern was set up in an oversize, very craggy "heavily forested" area that turned out to have treeline problems. Therfore the settlement is way down in one corner for access to trees, so its trade depot is kind of tough to reach, and they showed up all the way in the other corner. The human mule traders get there easily enough, but they won't trade without the wagons, and the wagons aren't even a third of the way there before notice comes that the traders are packing up and ready to leave.

"Oh well," I think. Turning off the request for my mayor/broker to be at the depot, I take a look at him in passing and happen to notice he is ecstatic (and why not? I just finished fulfilling his new 50-pop noble requirements).

Within something like 5 dwarf days of the traders leaving he is miserable and throws a tantrum. The only new thought appears to be "unable to punish someone for a mistake", undoubtedly something to do with the failure of the humans and their juicy trade goods (that they didn't really need, but those shell crafts aren't doing anything else). He destroys the wood furnace, gets a jail sentence, and the captain of the guard drags him to a chain. The newly re-elected mayor is the single criminal in the history of Sinewlantern.

Oops, rope doesn't hold dwarves! After a little while he breaks free, increasing his jail sentence for destroying another building (the rope); the jail is immediately reorganized so it has only metal cages. He's ecstatic again - being free is a big positive thought - and for days happily harvests plants and dumps rock, while the captain of the guard, not Unbelievably Agile like the mayor, chases him but never quite catches up. Stopping to eat is his downfall, as the captain catches up and drags him to a cage.

By the beginning of autumn or so he's gone berserk. Time to decide how to kill him and pick a new mayor...

Mith on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How do you make human traders use a road? I have a road extending from my depot to about 2/3s of the way toward the merchant spawn point but the humans will move cross-country the entire way, sometimes walking parallel to the road instead of actually getting on it. My Depot is in the middle of the map, so this means that as slow as wagons are I can't trade with the humans because they leave before the wagons arrive.

I'm going to extend the road the rest of the way to the spawn point, but it may take a few months since I'm quit busy hollowing out my mountain in search of Iron.

Last Son on
  • Options
    SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mith wrote: »
    Within something like 5 dwarf days of the traders leaving he is miserable and throws a tantrum. The only new thought appears to be "unable to punish someone for a mistake", undoubtedly something to do with the failure of the humans and their juicy trade goods (that they didn't really need, but those shell crafts aren't doing anything else). He destroys the wood furnace, gets a jail sentence, and the captain of the guard drags him to a chain. The newly re-elected mayor is the single criminal in the history of Sinewlantern.

Wow. Good thing my Mayor is also Captain of the Guard. (Also, he's a Legendary Miner and a Legendary Record keeper, and the single most bad-ass dwarf in the fortress).

Sophismata on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sophismata wrote: »
    Wow. Good thing my Mayor is also Captain of the Guard. (Also, he's a Legendary Miner and a Legendary Record keeper, and the single most bad-ass dwarf in the fortress).
    That's too much power for one dwarf.

Kill him.

gilrain on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    How do you make human traders use a road? I have a road extending from my depot to about 2/3s of the way toward the merchant spawn point but the humans will move cross-country the entire way, sometimes walking parallel to the road instead of actually getting on it. My Depot is in the middle of the map, so this means that as slow as wagons are I can't trade with the humans because they leave before the wagons arrive.

I'm going to extend the road the rest of the way to the spawn point, but it may take a few months since I'm quit busy hollowing out my mountain in search of Iron.

Roads only exist now to ensure a permanent, clear path for caravans to travel on, because new trees can't grow on them. They're only very important when you have heavily forested terrain that wagons have to weave back and forth through. Wagons don't move any faster on them, and they'll just take the shortest path.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hm. I didn't get the trade liason bug. They talked for awhile in my leader's bedroom (bow chicka wow wow) and he left normally. Also, I don't have a goddamn clue how he got to my fort since we hadn't built a tunnel down to the ground from our mountain cliff yet. He must have REALLY wanted to talk.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just realized I was spending more time designing my fort and agonizing over workshop/stockpile placement than actually playing. From now on, I resolve to not plan at all. Need a new workshop? Build a new room, add a new stockpile next to it, maybe build a farm next to it for kicks. With any luck, screencaps of the fortress will result in great comedy.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've gotten the liason bug with two games today.. second time he died, first time he went berserk and inflicted untold damage on my mans.

Have also gone a full year without any immigrants.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Sophismata wrote: »
    That's too much power for one dwarf.

Kill him.

I... I don't think I could. And I'm scared to try.

Sophismata on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey guys, there's like 6 unicorns right across the river. They're friendly creatures, right?

...right?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I have it on good terms that it was (were?) Unicorns that invaded the Elven capitol and slew the Arch Druid.

Sophismata on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hey guys, there's like 6 unicorns right across the river. They're friendly creatures, right?

...right?

When I start in Terrifying areas, things generally leave me alone. When I start in calm areas, the horses and unicorns generally launch assaults.

Be advised.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    When I first played a Terrifying game, there was a werewolf that came around every season, terrifying my workers (and killing my dogs). Also, harpies would descend twice a year and attack, as well.

Sophismata on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh god, there was just a multipronged goblin siege and in the tussle a baby got thrown over the edge to a 3 floor drop.

It's still alive...barely.

Savant on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've found a nice spot. I hope I won't fuck up the fortress this time.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I was going to some more work on the OP but it was 2AM D:

Anyway, I'll edit it now.
    And cutter- my tileset is currently on hold, I'm too busy playing the new DF (and the Witcher).

Mayday on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Janin wrote: »
    I just realized I was spending more time designing my fort and agonizing over workshop/stockpile placement than actually playing. From now on, I resolve to not plan at all. Need a new workshop? Build a new room, add a new stockpile next to it, maybe build a farm next to it for kicks. With any luck, screencaps of the fortress will result in great comedy.

Are you kidding? That's the fun part! I've designed a uniform layout that can work for any fortress. Every floor has the same basic corridor map, and they line up vertically. Oh, and almost everything has to be symmetrical. Aesthetics are more important than efficiency in Earthenshield!

Shujaa on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Given that crashes in the current version shut my computer down I think I'll wait for a week or so until the more common bugs have been dealt with before I start construction of the Mohole.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    OP updated. If you guys find something that should be there, lemme know.
    Added the info on how to avoid the liaison "bug".

Mayday on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm too busty

:winky:

After getting the hang of things, it's kinda easy/boring now. Clearly, I need to be playing in a terrifying, freezing volcanic region. That's tomorrow's job! (rather than, say, schoolwork)

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My fort is going so slowly.

Is there a way to speed time up?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm too busty

:winky:

surprised.gif
    fixed

Mayday on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shujaa wrote: »
    Janin wrote: »

Are you kidding? That's the fun part! I've designed a uniform layout that can work for any fortress. Every floor has the same basic corridor map, and they line up vertically. Oh, and almost everything has to be symmetrical. Aesthetics are more important than efficiency in Earthenshield!

I start with aesthetics in mind, but it eventually goes out the window if I discover a Platinum seam or the like. My living quarters area is in two parts: one section is regimented rows of bedrooms; and the other section is a massive rough-edged hole.

My next fortress is going to be completely designed and marked out for mining before I start playing, with the exception of a shaft going one level down, curving around on that floor to give plenty of space for trap experimentation, and then plunging into the earth to find rock. As I then won't have to worry about security and designating just one path for anything, I'll have staircases everywhere.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My fort is going so slowly.

Is there a way to speed time up?

Turn off weather and temperature in the data\init\init.txt file. You could try to fiddle with the FPS_CAP and G_FPS cap there as well. And (not that this is much help once you started a fort), if you minimize your starting area, you get major speed gains. I get 70 fps average with 30 dwarves on a 1 GHz laptop on a minimum size map with weather and temperature turned off. Adventure mode is almost unplayably slow on this laptop, but fortress mode with a minimal area runs like happy pants. I heard that full size maps with lots of height difference and dwarves can bring even a very fast machine to its knees.

Maybe Mayday could add these speedup tips to the OP, so new players with slow machines can play without having to start over once they hear about the starting area trick.

peterdevore on